Times: Offense must change identity, from run to Wilson

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seah ... ll-wilson/

I am tempted to agree with this. The problem for a while is not that the Wilson isn't capable of carrying the team (in my opinion) but that the coaching staff can't decide which playbook to run (2014, run-first, or post-bye 2015 in which Wilson went on a tear without the run game). When they've let Wilson take over the game, they've usually done very well. 2015 and 2016 had some incredible offensive performances, both on the road and at home against quality teams.

HOWEVER, after seeing how badly Wilson's accuracy is suffering three games in a row (an unprecedented stretch) and why the entire receiving corps has suddenly developed the dropsies, I'm not so sure a pass-first concept can bail the offense out, either.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Well its apparent one certainly doesn't work. So why not go with the other in the hopes it might.

Just give the team to Wilson. He's the highest paid player and probably the face of the franchise. he's certainly the leader of the offense.

Let him loose.

Seymour

Reaction score
Neither will work with a piss poor oline.

Ctrl--Alt--Del

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Seymour":3nhcuum8 said:

Ctrl--Alt--Del

27 points and over 400+ yards of offense. 1 sack. whether Tennessee was in some sort of prevent or not, it still seemed effective.

O-line either wasn't the issue yesterday or was mitigated by different play calling.

(is "Ctrl-Alt-Del" your new thing? Like a sign off or catchphrase? Like Joey Lawrence's "Whoa?")

Seymour

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1o86im4p said:
Seymour":1o86im4p said:

Ctrl--Alt--Del

27 points and over 400+ yards of offense. 1 sack. whether Tennessee was in some sort of prevent or not, it still seemed effective.

O-line either wasn't the issue yesterday or was mitigated by different play calling.

(is "Ctrl-Alt-Del" your new thing? Like a sign off or catchphrase? Like Joey Lawrence's "Whoa?")

I've already called out the D for this game.

5 of the 1st 6 drives were 3 and out...now the D is toast.

Yes...Ctrl--Alt--Del is my new thing, and I won't bother to explain it since I know where that leads.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
so cryptic.

Yes, those first few series were unfortunate.

But, if they did indeed move the offensive philosophy to put the ball in Wilson's hands after that, the results looked good, no?

Seymour

Reaction score
HawkNuts":28hdn688 said:
I agree. Let the dogs go on offense.

Back to that...yes I agree. They have no choice, especially with the D giving up 21 points in 6 minutes and giving them zero turnovers.

It will not stand the test of time through the playoffs when 3-4 guys rushing 5-6 blockers can get to Russell on a regular basis.

But against a few weaker teams it my bring an extra win or 2. :2thumbs:

It's not how you start...it's how you finish. 5 of 6 first drives 3 and outs does nothing to effect the game. :179422:

AgentDib

Reaction score
In my view it's less about the playbook and more about the risk tolerance. Those weren't new play designs in the second half; RW was just taking more chances and had excellent accuracy. Our first half conservative approach would also have looked good if RW had the same accuracy that he did in the second half.

One argument I could see for taking on more offensive risk is if it correlated with accuracy on RW's part. Armchair psychology may suggest he's inaccurate at the beginning of games because he's overthinking things and trying to avoid mistakes. His accuracy does seem to get a lot better whenever we get behind in games by a couple of scores.

It is worth bearing in mind that our winning probability is now at 69% with RW and conservative play calling under Carroll/Bevell and no strategy wins every NFL game. NFL teams are at best 80-85% likely to win heavily favored games and so judging any philosophy by specific failures is overly deterministic.

How many points will our defense surrender to the Colts given we have a very conservative offense gameplan? Will our offense exceed those points when playing conservatively? I'll estimate 9 and yes in the upcoming game and so expect the offense to frustrate many again on Sunday night.

ludakrishna

Reaction score
Padded stats due to the defense playing an umbrella coverage mean we become a pass first team? Does this also mean that we spot the other team 20 before the game begins and they're playing umbrella from the get-go? The only game I can recall of us winning when he went nuts throwing was the Pittsburg game 2 years ago.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
ludakrishna":6sawdk70 said:
Padded stats due to the defense playing an umbrella coverage mean we become a pass first team? Does this also mean that we spot the other team 20 before the game begins and they're playing umbrella from the get-go? The only game I can recall of us winning when he went nuts throwing was the Pittsburg game 2 years ago.

were they in an umbrella coverage when it was 6-0? how about 9-7?

and I don't think it should be a pass happy offense. saying give Wilson more of the ball.

ludakrishna

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2j5var2v said:
ludakrishna":2j5var2v said:

and I don't think it should be a pass happy offense. saying give Wilson more of the ball.

We don't have WRs that can get open consistently except Doug. Now Doug is hurt. Putting the ball in Russell's hand is exposing him to severe injury when he has nowhere to throw to.

Seymour

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1o9oste1 said:
ludakrishna":1o9oste1 said:

What does that even mean? He has the entire ball every snap. Do you mean give him more of the play calls? Run it more when the running game already sucks?

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3fsk4htn said:
Seymour":3fsk4htn said:

Ctrl--Alt--Del

http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=139437

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Seymour":yj139qla said:
Uncle Si":yj139qla said:
ludakrishna":yj139qla said:

What does that even mean? He has the entire ball every snap. Do you mean give him more of the play calls? Run it more when the running game already sucks?

Jesus... so does the center Seymour.

Maybe he should do some play calling. Maybe re-introduce more Read Option. Maybe stop relying on the run game to control the clock, since it's not working.

Something different. But anything different will have to come through Wilson

Uncle Si

Reaction score
ludakrishna":1ty5v6sw said:
Uncle Si":1ty5v6sw said:
ludakrishna":1ty5v6sw said:

We don't have WRs that can get open consistently except Doug. Now Doug is hurt. Putting the ball in Russell's hand is exposing him to severe injury when he has nowhere to throw to.

just keep doing what they're doing I guess.

Seymour

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3rmldcpo said:
so cryptic.

Yes, those first few series were unfortunate.

But, if they did indeed move the offensive philosophy to put the ball in Wilson's hands after that, the results looked good, no?

Yes, against an average D, in extreme heat that was hot enough to completely collapse our D, we were able to finally move the ball in the 2nd half. :2thumbs:

Seymour

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1jnx2tu2 said:
ludakrishna":1jnx2tu2 said:
Uncle Si":1jnx2tu2 said:
ludakrishna":1jnx2tu2 said:

just keep doing what they're doing I guess.

There are other options friend! :D

Teach Russell to drop kick on 3rd down for starters. :twisted:

Ambrose83

Reaction score
Uncle Si":x0zx58yq said:
Seymour":x0zx58yq said:

Ctrl--Alt--Del

Are you kidding ? What game did you watch ? We racked up all those yards and most of the points once they went prevent.. you can't possibly see that any other way... so far our team has scored 4 meaningful tds.. in 12 qtrs.... that's unaccetable.... the browns..... the freaking browns are doing significantly better then that . Let that sink in....