How important was Russ to the Super Bowl teams?

SixSeahawk

Reaction score
By way of being a quarterback, he was an essential part of the team. But everyone knows that it was the combination of the Legion of Boom and Beastmode that made those teams legendary.

So with that being said, if you replaced RW with a below average QB on those two teams, would they still make the Super Bowl?

[youtube]dF1PKs-3eQ0[/youtube]

Seymour

Reaction score
No but you could save 15% or more on car insurance.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
You are kidding right?

You don't remember Russ picking up a bad snap repeatedly and then running around with it, finally flinging it to Baldwin or Tate for a big gain?

Any other QB those are fumbles.

Lynch absolutely make Russ what he was, that playaction was money and the threat of the RO was deadly.

But let's not imagine that some other average QB would have taken us farther

ludakrishna

Reaction score
He was a very good game manager for us. Vastly overrated on this forum and by the local media and overpaid accordingly. You put an Alex Smith on this team and I guarantee we win the SB. We could've won 2 SB with Alex because Captain Checkdown wouldn't play hero ball every drive.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
He was the perfect quarterback for that team.

He was like the keys to the ignition

Sterling Archer

Reaction score
ludakrishna":y7fqsj64 said:
He was a very good game manager for us. Vastly overrated on this forum and by the local media and overpaid accordingly. You put an Alex Smith on this team and I guarantee we win the SB. We could've won 2 SB with Alex because Captain Checkdown wouldn't play hero ball every drive.

Seriously? I hope you're joking because Alex Smith had an amazing defense for at least 2 years with SF plus Frank Gore and I don't see any rings on his hand.

The hyperbole on this board is out of control.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Russell Wilson was an essential part. He single-handedly bailed the Seahawks out on multiple occasions with his magic escape acts, read option dominance, and great passes that had been missing since Pete got here. Go watch some games from 2012–2013 and tell me with a straight face that Wilson wasn't essential to those teams.

ludakrishna

Reaction score
Archer":3t9l1j1p said:
ludakrishna":3t9l1j1p said:

Seriously? I hope you're joking because Alex Smith had an amazing defense for at least 2 years with SF plus Frank Gore and I don't see any rings on his hand.

The hyperbole on this board is out of control.

He was robbed by the refs vs the Giants. Blatant blown call. The next season he got hurt and kaepernick went to the SB.

lobohawk

Reaction score
We had an average to below average QB and he couldn't even beat out Wilson for the starting job when Wilson was a rookie. Kinda answers the question.

Think of it this way. An average QB would have lost the same number of games due to their specific play, but wouldn't have won any that Wilson did with his skill set (e.g. Chicago game, which he won twice btw). This all leaves aside Wilson's ability to directly affect the running game (his own yards and taking D away from Lynch), which an average QB won't have.

Sure there are probably quite a few QBs that could have won the SB with the Hawks, but the Hawks likely couldn't have afforded them at that time.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
SixSeahawk":bi981j9m said:
By way of being a quarterback, he was an essential part of the team. But everyone knows that it was the combination of the Legion of Boom and Beastmode that made those teams legendary.

So with that being said, if you replaced RW with a below average QB on those two teams, would they still make the Super Bowl?

Troll much?

907Hawk

Reaction score
SixSeahawk":zjq1tlyo said:

Did you watch a single game of the Seahawks in 2011, they had a below average QB then, the answer to your question is no.
Football is a team sport, Lynch and Wilson together made the offense go, along with the other 9 players working as a unit.
BandWagon Troll.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Slightly better than Dilfer as a passer for the Ravens, but an infinity better playmaker.

Every genius on this board keep saying some crap about square peg round hole, but we're trying to make Wilson some pocket passer when he's a playmaker that really augments a balanced attack. The square peg round hole os hoping a praying that Wilson can be like Brady and Rodgers. He isn't and doesn't need to be.

Hence what we used to do...

Vesuve

Reaction score
It's a team sport obviously.

But without Russell Wilson, I doubt we would have went to 2 Super Bowls.

RW, has (or pehaps had) the "it."

That intanglbe "it" factor.

Remember the 2012 season when the Seahawks made those comebacks late in the game with RW leading the way. I knew that something magical and unique was happening.

redhawk253

Reaction score
Everyone knows? I dont care what anyone says.. beast while entertaining.. was not the key to our offense. It has always been wilson since he arrived. His mobility and escapability is the only thing that kept us going. Wilson was more important to beast than the other way around.. the threat of wilsons running made it easier on him. Go look at the stats with and without wilson.. look at beast now.. eventho he runs hard and looks more explosive than he has in years with the raiders.. its still quite easy to bottle him up.

Hell to be honest beast prolly cost us a trip to the superbowl in 2015. If he hadnt come back.. bevell doesnt go away from our 2nd half league leading offense of quick release passes setting up everything else.. beast was ineffective.. bevell too dumb and stubborn to go back to what was working til too late in the 2nd half and the game was out of reach.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Yeah! We could have won with Matt Flynn man! I still have his jersey! /sarcasm

Pretty simply, he was as essential as the other parts you mentioned. We needed all of them to win one, and make it to another. Talk of swapping parts in and out is just silly.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Very important. Read option was so difficult to stop for a few years.. that dual threat was vital.

Why is it not as effective? I don't know, but the key to a vibrant Seahawks offense has quick passing, read option, and a few scramble drill big plays..