The NFL is hard

Sterling Archer

Reaction score
I feel like no one else watches other NFL games with the hyperbolic discussions/rants that are currently going on. It's a difficult league and it's hard to win every single week.

Ask yourself if you'd rather be the Patriots right now who got destroyed AT HOME by the Chiefs and then almost lost AT HOME to the Texans? Their defense is historically bad at this point. Imagine how this board would be reacting if that was our team.

Ask yourself if you'd rather be the Raiders who just had their franchise QB put up a game worse than any I can remember by Wilson - with a TOP 3 offensive line. And whose #1 young stud WR (Cooper) dropped multiple balls and has been struggling all year. Imagine if that was Baldwin or Graham and what people would say.

Ask yourself if you'd rather be the Steelers who had to squeak out a win against the Browns and who just lost to the Bears. All this with an aging QB and poor utilization of a top 2 WR and RB. Imagine if we only put up 17 points against the Bears with Brown and Bell on our team.

Ask yourself if you'd rather be the Packers, who should have lost to us at home, who did lose to the Falcons and who almost just lost to the hapless Bengals... AT HOME. Imagine if we had to come back just to get to overtime and how everyone on this board would be reacting.

Please stop with the sky is falling tirades. This Seahawks team has major issues, the offensive line is worse than last year and I legitimately thought that would be impossible. Our starting WR is injured for who knows how long and Wilson looked to be hurt in the last game. Our defense has problems stopping the run and appear to be fighting amongst each other. You can discuss the concerns, possible strategies to fix these problems, and how you think the next few games are going to go without resorting to calling our starting QB a piece of crap game manager still riding on Lynch's laurels, asking for Pete Carroll to be fired, and saying that Schneider is an idiot who sucks at drafting.

I feel like I'm reading a written form of ESPN/NFL network when I am on this board now and not in a good way. Things can be concerning without being THE WROST EVER OMGS FIRE EVERYONE.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I've said these very words "The NFL is Hard."

I've been a Hawk fan for a long time, so I consider myself level headed and know it's never easy. That's why I don't get fired up about wins or losses, I get fired up about HOW we lose............and I don't like how we're losing these past couple of years.

- more giving up huge rushing games
- more nonsense with players acting up
- lack of philosophical adjustments to take advantage of personnel
- defense getting punched in the mouth
- defense looking old
- continued struggle of O-line
- too many dumb penalties
- lack of execution

THESE are the things that bother me, not that we lose. I'll have respect for a hard fought well executed 17-14 loss to a good team. But a terribly fought too many penalties missing tackles gap assignment getting punched in the mouth sprinkled with another Sherman outburst? Nope, can't be down with that.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I do agree that it helps to read the nonsense coming from other fan bases for a bit of perspective. There's a vocal block of Saints fans that have been trying to fire Sean Payton for about 5 years now, McCarthy and Rodgers have to deal with noise 24/7 and the average Patriot fan response to the last three games is nothing short of hilarious.

The worst right now is the Panthers fan base. They are simultaneously deciding that Cam is not a franchise QB after all, the Rivera needs to be replaced as HC because his defense has been figured out, and that the OC and QB coach need to be replaced due to ruining Cam/playing Cam while injured/not developing Cam. Oh, and the Panthers are 2-1 this season by the way.

OP
OP
S

Sterling Archer

Reaction score
I'm not trying to tell people to "fall in line". I'm trying to bring perspective so we can get back to some decent conversations instead of having threads where people are bringing up good points, fall into the echo chamber of "everyone sucks, we're never going to win again" etc.

The echo chamber is what is annoying because it takes people off into tangents that we've heard a million times already.

Sgt. Largent made a post saying exactly what I was trying to say. There are MANY things concerning about the current team, but yelling that we need to fire everyone is stupid and pointless.

Seymour

Reaction score
Archer":3n56zi8u said:
I'm not trying to tell people to "fall in line". I'm trying to bring perspective so we can get back to some decent conversations instead of having threads where people are bringing up good points, fall into the echo chamber of "everyone sucks, we're never going to win again" etc.

The echo chamber is what is annoying because it takes people off into tangents that we've heard a million times already.

Sgt. Largent made a post saying exactly what I was trying to say. There are MANY things concerning about the current team, but yelling that we need to fire everyone is stupid and pointless.

Incorrect. It is not pointless at all. It is a viable solution that is becoming far more clear with each game. One should expect to see this type of reaction on an uprise.

Yes, other teams have other problems. That does nothing to help the witnessing of talent going to waste watching our favorite team lose playing very ugly football.

Optimus25

Reaction score
attempting the same thing over and over expecting a different result:

= Seattle Seahawks for approx. 2 years running.

Which leads to wasted opportunity.

If not via firing, then how do we get past this?

Your post told us how to NOT act, but then gave me nothing in terms of perspective on how to feel since I don't care that the NFL is hard considering we have the talent to be top tier still. Last year we SHOULD have been right in the mix for a 2 seed. But we piss away every opportunity including a pathetic, useless showing on the road to the Rams which we had no business in the world losing, among numerous other missed opportunities of 2016.

I wasted an entire Sunday yesterday getting hyped for a game which blew up in my face as a failure. I can do whatever the damn hell I please, and that is certainly going to include calling in to question the job security of coordinators or coaches who produce as epically little as these. Our offensive slow starts have proven to be the nail in our coffin every single season, and ABSOLUTELY nothing changes. ZERO. NO F*&^$ given. I'm just left on my couch in the twilight zone of WTF is going on here punt after punt (good god I can describe jon ryans ass in full detail and I'm a heterosexual, just that I have to stare at it 5 hours per Sunday for the past 2 years) and then there are plenty of posters such as yourself, with all due respect, who don't seem to mind. Because the NFL is hard. Because our line. Because the rain. Because the drops. So who cares? We'll just not change anything and run the exact same offense in the exact same scheme. Whatevs.

I in no way exaggerate when I say that Owen Schmitt could have called the offense so far this season and produced more because quite literally it is very difficult to produce less.

He's the fullback who smashes helmets into his face pregame.

Personally I think the defense was in the activism spirit and decided it was time to give up an entire half for once. Why the hell not? the offense has done it for two years and Pete doesn't give a S*&^.

POLL: Could we score more often in 1st halves if every single play we just motion Jimmy across the formation to at least attempt isolation and bomb it up for him every single play? We'll alternate from time to time for CJ to try to get a LB on him and Paul because he can hi point pretty well. Russ takes a deep shotgun and instantly backpeddles 5 yards, making it about a 3 1/2 second play with about 2 1/2 seconds of ball hang time equaling about 40/50 something yards per shot. Could this offense produce about 6 points in a half, which would easily outscore Bevell's current scheme.

MrThortan

Reaction score
I agree with your perspective. I watch a lot of football and I see most teams, many that are considered contenders, struggle at times and play crappy football. I have also seen teams have extraordinary games and after three, I just haven't seen the Seahawks have one yet. The Vikings got pummeled last week with Bradford out and I expected the same this week, but they played amazing this week with Keenum playing again. Adjustments are constantly being made and though I think there is a real possibility we miss the playoffs, I expect there will be improvements throughout the season. I try to keep a level head and not go to extreme homerism or chicken little.

Ambrose83

Reaction score
Optimus25":1pc79a25 said:
attempting the same thing over and over expecting a different result:

= Seattle Seahawks for approx. 2 years running.

Which leads to wasted opportunity.

If not via firing, then how do we get past this?

Your post told us how to NOT act, but then gave me nothing in terms of perspective on how to feel since I don't care that the NFL is hard considering we have the talent to be top tier still. Last year we SHOULD have been right in the mix for a 2 seed. But we piss away every opportunity including a pathetic, useless showing on the road to the Rams which we had no business in the world losing, among numerous other missed opportunities of 2016.

I wasted an entire Sunday yesterday getting hyped for a game which blew up in my face as a failure. I can do whatever the damn hell I please, and that is certainly going to include calling in to question the job security of coordinators or coaches who produce as epically little as these. Our offensive slow starts have proven to be the nail in our coffin every single season, and ABSOLUTELY nothing changes. ZERO. NO F*&^$ given. I'm just left on my coach in the twilight zone of WTF is going on here punt after punt (good god I can describe jon ryans ass in full detail and I'm a heterosexual, just that I have to stare at it 5 hours per Sunday for the past 2 years) and then there are plenty of posters such as yourself, with all due respect, who don't seem to mind. Because the NFL is hard. Because our line. Because the rain. Because the drops. So who cares? We'll just not change anything and run the exact same offense in the exact same scheme. Whatevs.

I in no way exaggerate when I say that Owen Schmitt could have called the offense so far this season and produced more because quite literally it is very difficult to produce less.

He's the fullback who smashes helmets into his face pregame.

Personally I think the defense was in the activism spirit and decided it was time to give up an entire half for once. Why the hell not? the offense has done it for two years and Pete doesn't give a S*&^.

POLL: Could we score more often in 1st halves if every single play we just motion Jimmy across the formation to at least attempt isolation and bomb it up for him every single play? We'll alternate from time to time for CJ to try to get a LB on him and Paul because he can hi point pretty well. Russ takes a deep shotgun and instantly backpeddles 5 yards, making it about a 3 1/2 second play with about 2 1/2 seconds of ball hang time equaling about 40/50 something yards per shot. Could this offense produce about 6 points in a half, which would easily outscore Bevell's current scheme.

This is spot on

cymatica

Reaction score
good god I can describe jon ryans ass in full detail and I'm a heterosexual, just that I have to stare at it 5 hours per Sunday for the past 2 years
:2thumbs: quote of the day

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Teams might not always play well every time every game, but man, have you noticed how motivated teams seem to be when they play the Seahawks??

The Seahawks don't always match their opponents level of interest.

I personally hate home games because I like how the Seahawks are challenged on the road.

HawkEye

Reaction score
That's why I don't get fired up about wins or losses, I get fired up about HOW we lose............and I don't like how we're losing these past couple of years.

I agree 100%

I've watched our team long enough to appreciate a hard fought win or loss, but we are finding exasperating ways to loose games.