Hawks when Russell passes for 350 or more yards

Blitzer88

Reaction score
This may not come as a surprise to many, but I believe I saw that the Hawks are 0-4 when Russell throws for 350 or more yards.

This obviously indicates that the Hawks were down by significant margins in those 4 games to being with thus forcing him to throw more, but still somewhat telling.

Optimus25

Reaction score
Wow thanks for sharing. Interesting. I wonder if there's a stat out there regarding his rushing yardage in Wins. Like is there a magic number that if he reaches it we are undefeated or close enough? I feel like that may be just as telling.

sutz

Reaction score
Optimus25":1mb77t5s said:
Wow thanks for sharing. Interesting. I wonder if there's a stat out there regarding his rushing yardage in Wins. Like is there a magic number that if he reaches it we are undefeated or close enough? I feel like that may be just as telling.
League wide, this is not un-heard of. Used to be that 300 yard passing games were almost guaranteed losses, for the reason stated. 100 yds rushing used to be the gold standard with teams winning around 90% of the time. In the modern game, it has changed. With so many teams going more pass happy, 300 yards is less of a benchmark for losing. I think what matters is whether or not the team intends to pass a lot in its game plan. But for a "balanced attack" team like us, 300 yds passing means we're off of our normal game plan and likely to lose.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
This stat is funny, first it was 300, now it's 350

I guess that's because Russell beat the Steelers in 2015 when he tossed 5 TDs in a shootout, but it was only 345 yards so, ya know...

What this proves to me is that Russell can lead this offense. However, Pete has a philosophy of being conservative early and relying on defense...minimizing mistakes. We can criticize the offense all we want, but Pete's low risk taking philosophy is EXACTLY why we only start dropping bombs when we're behind. It's why we rarely get blown out, because when the defense does slip up we rely on Wilson to show out. And he always keeps us in games, even if some fans don't see that

Cc5674

Reaction score
It's because most of those games his stats are garbage time stats. Teams go into soft coverage and Russell throws underneath.

irocdave

Reaction score
anyone remember, back in the day (2 years ago) when the Hawks would be up at halftime in close games, then get up by 2 scores early in the 3rd quarter which forced the other team to throw? I also seem to recall the D line teed off and the pics were coming steady in those circumstances.

Smellyman

Reaction score
I also remember all the run run run run games and be behind in the fourth. Followed by the go win it for us RW which made him have the most come back wins of any qb.

HawkEye

Reaction score
The way I see it, this is the main problem: When we won the SB, we had a Oline with the talent to open running lanes. They didn't always protected RW the way they should, but they were good at preparing the run. That, and a beast RB who bounced off the first contact, gave you a balanced offense and time to rest the defense.
Pete is trying hard to replicate the same result with unexperienced players (some of them just bad) and a RB pool.
Last couple games, Cable tried to set a Oline just to give RW just enough time to make plays, but Wilson tends to hold the ball too long or run out of a good pocket.
So, in my personal opinion, we should focus on better run play execution.
In football, a lot of things on offense take care of themselves when you set a decent running offense.

No, we don't have a M. Lynch, but we have good enough RB's. Give them enough help from the Oline and I'm sure we can make enough damage to win games with less drama.

Go Hawks!

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Blitzer88":2iphlngv said:
This may not come as a surprise to many, but I believe I saw that the Hawks are 0-4 when Russell throws for 350 or more yards.

This obviously indicates that the Hawks were down by significant margins in those 4 games to being with thus forcing him to throw more, but still somewhat telling.

Traditionally if he had less than 200 yards we win, it was always a problem when he got over 250, which obviously meant we were playing catch up.

But.. as everyone has pointed out, it's now a pass run team so, things change.

mikeak

Reaction score
Yeah basically he is not allowed to throw for that much until we are loosing games

Says nothing about our players but everything about our coaches