How do you feel now about Kam Chancellor's Extension

How do you feel about Kam Chancellor's 3 year 36 Million contract extension now?

• I love it! Kam is the leader of defense.

Votes: 58 45.3%
  • I am starting to have my doubts about it.

Votes: 15 11.7%
  • I would have rather seen Kam play out his contract this year and then decide in the off season.

Votes: 40 31.3%
  • I hate it, I knew it was a bad idea. You should never pay players based on their past performance i

Votes: 15 11.7%

• Total voters

edogg23

Reaction score
I was always against giving him the extension because he is 29 and I wanted him to have to play motivated this year. So far he has looked like a non factor out there to me. What do you guys think? I know it's early in the season...

sutz

Reaction score
I suspect there will come a time this year that will change your mind about Kam. ;)

getnasty

Reaction score
Yeah Kam hasn't flashed this year but at the same time he hasn't hurt us. I agree they'll be a point in the season where we'll be thinking we got a bargin.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I love Kam, he's my favorite Hawk of all time behind Easley.

But we gave him a new contract more for his leadership on defense, rather than his play on the field. Still a good strong safety, but nowhere near his level of play 3-4 years ago.

Make no mistake, he's here because Pete wants his leadership to help control Richard and the other nonsense starters on that side of the ball. Doesn't mean it was a mistake to give him an extension, but IMO it was 70% leadership based, and only 30% performance on the field based.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Kam is still Kam, both on the field and off, but one thing I've noticed so far this season, is Kam has continued to grow as the leader of this defense. IMO ET is the man when it comes to on the field holding this defense together, but Kam is the glue that keeps all this high energy players playing as a single group instead of a bunch of individual talents when it comes to their mentality and keeping their head in the game.

sdog1981

Reaction score
He was really bad last week. But he adds to the team more than he takes away.

T-Hawk

Reaction score
Loved it then and still do. Kam's the leader on the defense, he's the one who finally cooled Sherm off when he was probably getting close to getting himself ejected.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Need to have another middle of the road option. Like...Its fine, he will earn his money.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Kam was the first guy in the scrum on Sunday trying to pull Sherm out and calm him down. He's not only a leader, but also acts as almost a second tier coach to these guys. I really hope once he hangs them up, he stays within the organization

RussB

Reaction score
I still like it. Kam is still probably the best SS in the league. Dont like the bennett extension though, should have signed lang and whitworth.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Many seem hooked on Kam's bad play when Demarco Murray made the entire defense look like high schoolers.

I also saw a play when Kam came off the left end and chase down the RB running to the other side of the field and tackle him for a minimal gain. That's something only great players do.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
RussB":2v7il4l5 said:
Dont like the bennett extension though, should have signed lang and whitworth.

:roll:

Let's just gloss over the fact that Whitworth was never going to be an option for pretty obvious reasons.

Combined Lang and Whitworth are making $23.7M this year. Bennett is making $15M this year and that was just to front-load his deal.

Again.. this isn't Madden 2018. FA is so much more complex than "just throw some money at them!"

Hyak

Reaction score
The extension was essentially through next year if you look at the structure of the deal and even 2018 isn't 100% a sure thing.

For the short term it's fine but there's no question to me that Kam 2017 is not Kam 2012/2013 in terms of play. Still very good but odds are that we won't see SB 48 Kam ever again.

RussB

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":26tftp2z said:
RussB":26tftp2z said:
Dont like the bennett extension though, should have signed lang and whitworth.

:roll:

Let's just gloss over the fact that Whitworth was never going to be an option for pretty obvious reasons.

Combined Lang and Whitworth are making $23.7M this year. Bennett is making $15M this year and that was just to front-load his deal.

Again.. this isn't Madden 2018. FA is so much more complex than "just throw some money at them!"
Joekel is also making money he doesnt deserve. Intead of resigning bennett, and signing joekel. They could have gotten, lang, whitworth, or both. It was a possibility.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The extension was deserved. He's a leader, well respected on the team, and played SB49 on one leg. That's enough for me to think he's worth it. If they can throw $8M to Luke Joeckel then Chancellor's deal is a bargain. Yes I know they don't play the same position but look at the value of the player. Kam is more important than Luke to this team. No doubt about it.

Seymour

Reaction score
Kam may end up getting the better end of his deal, but he was on the short side on his prior, so I have no issue given his contributions for putting the B in LOB over the years. He helped put this team on the map, and has left a literal impact on many throughout the league.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3grjua11 said:
I love Kam, he's my favorite Hawk of all time behind Easley.

But we gave him a new contract more for his leadership on defense, rather than his play on the field. Still a good strong safety, but nowhere near his level of play 3-4 years ago.

Make no mistake, he's here because Pete wants his leadership to help control Richard and the other nonsense starters on that side of the ball. Doesn't mean it was a mistake to give him an extension, but IMO it was 70% leadership based, and only 30% performance on the field based.
This is probably true.

But it's not just Kam (nowhere near his level of play 3-4 years ago).

Kam will go down as my top 3 favorite Seahawks player of all time

The Seahawks core is old now.

It's time for a full in house cleaning.

OP
OP
E

edogg23

Reaction score
I think this signing went from a

Why would you sign an aging vet to an extension before you have to?

To

A lesson on why you don’t sign an aging vet to an exit in before you have to.