Run Defense

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Just saw a stat on ESPN. Our rush defense has the worst yards per carry average in the league.

Run defense has got to step up.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
They have given up two really long runs. Would be interesting to see how it is in the rest of the carries.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Pretty sure it is low 3s without and low 5s with. So pretty extreme variance based on explosives. Having a low play to play average definitely impacts the game differently versus consistently sucking against the run. That said, our run defense is not fundamentally sound right now. We are one of the worst run defenses, that much is still true. I think our fixes might be easier than having a bunch of dudes that simply can’t tackle.

Seymour

Reaction score
I posted this a couple of days ago. League leading (worst) 5.3 yards per carry the D is giving up.

I'd bet my 401K that will improve by a good margin though.

adeltaY

Reaction score
It has to get better. Even in the Titans game, I believe the D held them to 43 yards on 17, which is fantastic against that team. They got destroyed in the second half. It must be that they got gassed. I really hope it doesn't happen again.

Sterlinghawk

Reaction score
Anybody think there might be an adjustment period since Richardson came in so late? Is expecting a seemless transition to an elite line resonable. Not to mention the heat, or the travel. I'm going to chill and give it a chance to gel. Maybe we don't need to cut and/or trade 'email all just yet :sarcasm_off:

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
Everything is going be just fine. Couple early blips on the radar, nothing to see here.

Seymour

Reaction score
Run Defense is not the only issue of concern. As a team we are also #30 in QB pressures, which is even more telling than sacks.

Looking at both O and D, I would say we have a serious case on complacency on this team.

RussB

Reaction score
I dont think the run defense is really the problem. The problem is letting big runs happen if that makes sense. Defense always comes out early and completely shuts down opposing offenses, gradually over the past 2 games they seem to get lulled, tired and then opponents break big runs making the overal run D look bad.

I think its a combination between defense being on the feild to long, and making mistakes.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Sterlinghawk":2tuho5ts said:
Anybody think there might be an adjustment period since Richardson came in so late? Is expecting a seemless transition to an elite line resonable. Not to mention the heat, or the travel. I'm going to chill and give it a chance to gel. Maybe we don't need to cut and/or trade 'email all just yet :sarcasm_off:

This is exactly what I was wondering. A breakdown in scheme or execution somewhere.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I guess David Bass wasn't the only issue with the run defense. He wasn't with the team last Sunday and the run defense was worse. Hopefully they will get whatever is the issue corrected this week. Frank Gore is on the Colts and he's had some games where he tore up the Seahawk run defense.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I don't think that it's a line issue. Every game, a few runs are going to break through the line, and the LBs and secondary are going to have to keep a 5-8 yard run from turning into a 12, 15, or 40 yarder.

We have an issue at SLB that isn't sorted yet. Our defense is having to shade that direction, and it is making Chancellor look ineffective, and is opening up some running holes when the runner gets past the line.

This will get sorted out.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I don't like the long runs either, but let's not discount the fact that it was DeMarco Murray who pulled it off. Dude doesn't have his reputation for no reason. Carlos Hyde is only a tier down from him. Always credit the opponent when analyzing. It'd be a lot worse if Eddie Lacy got these types of runs.

hawk45

Reaction score
bigskydoc":1nprs3uw said:
I don't think that it's a line issue. Every game, a few runs are going to break through the line, and the LBs and secondary are going to have to keep a 5-8 yard run from turning into a 12, 15, or 40 yarder.

We have an issue at SLB that isn't sorted yet. Our defense is having to shade that direction, and it is making Chancellor look ineffective, and is opening up some running holes when the runner gets past the line.

This will get sorted out.

That's an interesting point. I'd seen/felt Kam out of position on some of those runs and didn't connect the dots to SLB.

aawolf

Reaction score
Now THAT is bulletin board material. Man up, Defense.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
hawk45":3nk9onnv said:
[

That's an interesting point. I'd seen/felt Kam out of position on some of those runs and didn't connect the dots to SLB.

They are doing some interesting things with the safeties this year. For example I don't think that I have ever seen Earl Thomas on a free safety blitz. Reminds me of a line from XLVIII when Manning says of Chancellor, "He never does that."

I think that a lot of this has to do with improvements at the right cornerback position, and weakness at the strong linebacker position. These are new defensive concepts, and so a miscue here or there, in the early season, is to be expected. Unfortunately, our miscues have proved costly.