Revisiting the 2016 draft

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
I just mentioned the 2016 draft, and it got me thinking. Who is making things happen currently on this team from that class. Let's take a look.

1st round: Germain Ifedi (Bust)
2nd round: Jarran Reed (Bust)
3rd round: C.J. Prosise (Constantly injured bust)
3rd round: Nick Vannett (Not enough playing time)
3rd round: Rees Odhiambo (Bust)
5th round: Quinton Jefferson (Gone)
5th round: Alex Collins (Gone)
6th round: Joey Hunt (Gone)
7th round: Kenny Lawler (Practice Squad)
7th round: Zac Brooks (Gone)

Just wrap your head around this for a minute. What a depressing draft this was. The only guy who the jury's still out on is Vannett. I think he was drafted as Graham insurance, because his post injury status was still completely up in the air. Ifedi has been given a huge opportunity, which he is refusing to capitalize on. Same with Reed. Odhiambo was considered a 6th-7th round talent, and he's proving why this year. It blows my mind how incompetent this team is at drafting. And it's not just this class. Chris Carson might be the closest thing to the next diamond in the rough since the draft days of Sherman and Chancellor.

RockinHawks

Reaction score
Not sure why you qualify Reed as a bust, he's a regular rotational DT for our team. He's a strong contributor. But yes, the other picks, aside from Vannett, seem pretty bad.

Jville

Reaction score
AW ..... the narrowness of so many posts promoting the same theme ...... sadness.

It is only a sad draft for those who chose to view it as such.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":3o004bm2 said:
I just mentioned the 2016 draft, and it got me thinking. Who is making things happen currently on this team from that class. Let's take a look.

1st round: Germain Ifedi (Bust)
2nd round: Jarran Reed (Bust)
3rd round: C.J. Prosise (Constantly injured bust)
3rd round: Nick Vannett (Not enough playing time)
3rd round: Rees Odhiambo (Bust)
5th round: Quinton Jefferson (Gone)
5th round: Alex Collins (Gone)
6th round: Joey Hunt (Gone)
7th round: Kenny Lawler (Practice Squad)
7th round: Zac Brooks (Gone)

Just wrap your head around this for a minute. What a depressing draft this was. The only guy who the jury's still out on is Vannett. I think he was drafted as Graham insurance, because his post injury status was still completely up in the air. Ifedi has been given a huge opportunity, which he is refusing to capitalize on. Same with Reed. Odhiambo was considered a 6th-7th round talent, and he's proving why this year. It blows my mind how incompetent this team is at drafting. And it's not just this class. Chris Carson might be the closest thing to the next diamond in the rough since the draft days of Sherman and Chancellor.

Lawler is actually gone too-he wasn't signed to the practice squad this year and is a FA. Pretty staggering to think that out of 10 selections, only 5 are with the organization just 1 year later.

They say if you can generate 3 starters out of every draft class, you're actually doing ok, but there's no doubt that the last few drafts have been overall subpar to very disappointing.

themunn

Reaction score
Ahhhh yes, 2nd year o-line players certain bust after 3 games in second season.

Same as Britt.

And players miss time with injuries in their first few seasons. Jadaveon Clowney is a probowler for example, after missing most of his first year and playing a bit-part role in his second.

Demarco Murray is one we were saying was injury prone too, yet now he's one of the league's best running backs

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Hard to argue with op at this point. Reed is on the fence yet and would not classify him as a bust. Ifedi no doubt is a bust or at least a mediocre talent

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
themunn":3ctldd15 said:

Same as Britt.

And players miss time with injuries in their first few seasons. Jadaveon Clowney is a probowler for example, after missing most of his first year and playing a bit-part role in his second.

Demarco Murray is one we were saying was injury prone too, yet now he's one of the league's best running backs

Glad to know Prosise will be the next Demarco Murray and Ifedi will be our next above average center in 3 years. Now I can rest easy every time turnstile Ifedi whiffs and Prosise is out for half the year.

NJlargent

Reaction score
Reed is a bust. He's a second round pick that has done nothing memorable. He is far from a worthy 2nd

themunn

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":31n8301p said:
themunn":31n8301p said:

Same as Britt.

Glad to know Prosise will be the next Demarco Murray and Ifedi will be our next above average center in 3 years. Now I can rest easy every time turnstile Ifedi whiffs and Prosise is out for half the year.

My point being is there's no point writing them off right now.
It could be worse, we could have drafted Kevin White.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
themunn":2vgu4ecz said:
West TX Hawk":2vgu4ecz said:
themunn":2vgu4ecz said:

Same as Britt.

My point being is there's no point writing them off right now.
It could be worse, we could have drafted Kevin White.

That is true! And I haven't written off Prosise just yet either.

OP
OP
Thepeelsessions

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Jville":35a3l0q9 said:
AW ..... the narrowness of so many posts promoting the same theme ...... sadness.

It is only a sad draft for those who chose to view it as such.

Ok, please tell your view of the 2016 draft. You've got me very intrigued!

OP
OP
Thepeelsessions

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
themunn":152deleq said:

Same as Britt.

Ifedi has shown no progress whatsoever. None. And to make matters worse, he's a penalty magnet. You can't compare Britt to Ifedi. Especially since Britt was s second round pick.

And like West said, you can't compare Murray to Prosise. Murray is a three down workhorse, and has been forever. Maybe not so much in Philadelphia, but definitely in Dallas and now in Tennessee. And almost all of his injury plagued seasons occurred in Dallas. Prosise is nowhere near the usage level of Murray. At all. That's what's alarming.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Seems we like drafting under the radar type players and players that seem to have some sort of athletic potential that htey can build upon.

We've done that for about 4 years now, perhaps it's just time to start picking the obvious player instead of playing cute draft time games of gathering more picks. I't's just not working, if it did work, more teams would be doing the same thing. Always, and I mean always quality over quantity.

raisethe3

Reaction score
I wouldn't call Ifedi a bust quite yet. Because the guy was forced to play RG last year and then all of the sudden switched to playing RT. Not the kind of ideal situation to be in. I would say he's a bust if this trend continues in his 3rd year.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Any post where someone is qualifying a player as a "bust" when we're not even 1/4 of the way through his sophomore year loses me right off the bat. You can have quality analysis, cogent reasoning and solid statistics but if you start out there I'm done reading.

I will leave you with this: Jarran Reed started as a rookie on a DL that led the league in lowest ypc. Most teams would take that "bust" any day.

Also, the list of players that didn't light the world up their rookie year, but went on to be successful players, impact starters, and pro bowlers is MUCH longer than the list of guys who lit the league on fire their rookie years.

Good thing people didn't give up on Brett Favre and Matt Hasselbeck their rookie years. Russell Wilson had a better rookie year than Tom Brady and Ben Roethlisberger (and pretty much every other rookie QB). Kam Chancellor didn't start his rookie year. What a bust. I'll just stop there.

It's called player development.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
NJlargent":1gk51yte said:
Reed is a bust. He's a second round pick that has done nothing memorable. He is far from a worthy 2nd

What is your definition of a bust defensive linemen. You know not all DL's objective is to get sacks or pressures don't you? There is a thing called and anchor. Not all DLs are pass rushers. There is usually at least one DL on the team that is credited in this very situation and for the most part, get very few pressures, sacks or tackles. Not that Reed is a Vince Wilfork but look up that guys stats sometime.

themunn

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":2xbhe40n said:
themunn":2xbhe40n said:

Same as Britt.

Ifedi has shown no progress whatsoever. None. And to make matters worse, he's a penalty magnet. You can't compare Britt to Ifedi. Especially since Britt was s second round pick.

And like West said, you can't compare Murray to Prosise. Murray is a three down workhorse, and has been forever. Maybe not so much in Philadelphia, but definitely in Dallas and now in Tennessee. And almost all of his injury plagued seasons occurred in Dallas. Prosise is nowhere near the usage level of Murray. At all. That's what's alarming.

Ifedi had to play his entire rookie season as a LG next to the awesome combo of Bradley Sowell and Garry Gilliam. Then come his first few games at RT he gets Mark Glowinski and finally Oday Aboushi. With no consistency around him it's not too surprising he hasn't shown, but again, he's less than 20 games into his NFL career - and most lineman under Cable have started their time in Seattle poorly before evolving into consistent and strong linemen (who then leave!).

As for Murray, fine, how about Danny Woodhead? Spent his first season on IR. Darren Sproles? Spent his second season on IR. Shane Vereen another one with plenty of injuries in his first few seasons (and if I recall, he had a significant contribution toward our loss in SB49). All very good players in the 3rd down back mould of Prosise who all suffered multiple injuries early in their career, but are among the best at what they do.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
I thought the old axiom was to give a draft 3 years before judging? But I guess this fits the narrative for many around here who like to throw up their hands and say the season's over just 3 games in.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
[align=][/align]
Bobblehead":1xm0a3qg said:
Seems we like drafting under the radar type players and players that seem to have some sort of athletic potential that htey can build upon.

We've done that for about 4 years now, perhaps it's just time to start picking the obvious player instead of playing cute draft time games of gathering more picks. I't's just not working, if it did work, more teams would be doing the same thing. Always, and I mean always quality over quantity.

Agreed completely. The philosophy of acquiring more and more later round selections with the idea at least a couple will pan out for depth contrasts with BPA where you may land an impact player in the early rounds. And why the obsession JS has with drafting 10-11 guys when you're going to cut a few of them right off the bat? Why not just draft the 7 best guys you can get by mixing need with BPA?

Yes it's all a roll of the dice, but the double trading down crap should just stop along with the many reaches they make-particularly at OL. Odhiambo and Poole were projected 6th or 7th round and we take them in the 3rd and 4th because...who knows?

There's almost an obsession in this organization to "go against convention" in every aspect and it's becoming concerning. You cannot consistently go against the grain and expect unique results.

Reharding BPA, I'm not a draft expert by any means, but I just can't believe that Ifedi was one of if not their very top guy on their board last year when he was projected a 2nd rounder. (I'm sure they'd argue that they thought he would be gone before their 2nd round pick, but why was he really that high on their board? There were concerns about his technique and one NFC scout said he should've gone back to school and wasn't nearly ready) It seems they key in on a narrow number of players instead of being more open to the available talent as a whole.

It's not Monday morning draft QB to say there's been a lot of talent that PC/JS pass on for unknown reasons. Whoever spotted Carson had a keen eye though and to get Griffin in the 3rd was shrewd.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I don't think you can label any guy a "bust" who is actually a starter. A bust is someone who is cit or takes up a roster spot WITHOUT contributing. Ifedi and Odhiambo may not be what most people would consider quality starters but they are starting and contributing. Reed is part of the d line rotation and far from a bust. The 2016 draft has provided 2 starters and 2 other situational players along with a 3-4 games a year good contributed (Prosise). On paper this is a successful draft. Not every player drafted, is a pro bowl quality contributer.