Odhiambo hospitalized .....

pmedic920

Reaction score
Seems he suffered a bruised heart.

Anybody heard anything more than a tweet?
35bc0fa5a327176689ed08c93ef4748f.png

kidhawk

Reaction score
[urltargetblank]http://q13fox.com/2017/10/02/seahawks-rees-odhiambo-being-examined-after-hit-in-chest/[/urltargetblank]

Odhiambo was sitting at his locker following the victory when training staff and medics began tending to him for several minutes.

Carroll said all Odhiambo’s signs are stable but the team wanted to have him undergo further examination.

This is all I've seen so far.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Pete was on the radio today and said that he was hospitalized last night as a precaution. He suffered the injury on the 2nd Interception and they thought he just got the wind knocked out of him. He finished the game (having some trouble breathing 100% normal at times) and then afterwards in the locker room had more trouble breathing normally so they took him to the hospital to be monitored and checked out. He stayed overnight and was still there as of 9am this morning when Pete was on the radio.

Wow, bruised heart sounds scary. How serious or not is that if he really did suffer a bruise to his heart?

OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score
I’ll address the tweet below Schefter’s.

Although maybe not common in football.

Cardiac contusion or bruised heart is a common injury in motor vehicle crashes. It’s in a class called deceleration injuries. It happens when the body comes to a very sudden stop. The heart has some room to move after the body has stopped. It can also happen if the sternum/rib cage gets compressed far/deep enough.

I didn’t see the play that caused the injury so it’s hard for me to make a quality comment beyond that.

OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score
DJrmb":hja30pk9 said:
Pete was on the radio today and said that he was hospitalized last night as a precaution. He suffered the injury on the 2nd Interception and they thought he just got the wind knocked out of him. He finished the game (having some trouble breathing 100% normal at times) and then afterwards in the locker room had more trouble breathing normally so they took him to the hospital to be monitored and checked out. He stayed overnight and was still there as of 9am this morning when Pete was on the radio.

Wow, bruised heart sounds scary. How serious or not is that if he really did suffer a bruise to his heart?

That injury can range from minor, to VERY serious.
The same forces that can cause it, can also tear the great vessels (Aorta) from the heart. This almost always causes death within minutes, or even seconds.

Edit:

It actually happened to a Houston Cougar (NCAA) player a couple years ago. He suffered an Aortic tear on the field (during practice IIRC), a well trained and alert paramedic recognized the danger and got him to our level one trauma center in time. I think the kid played football again but could have easily died if not for the quick action of the medic. Bleeding from your Aorta is not a good thing. I’ll look for a link to the story.

Edit:
Here’s a link to D.J. Hayden story.
It’s well worth the 2 minutes to read.
https://amp.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap1000 ... AEA&sr=amp

flmmkrz

Reaction score
hoping it's minor and for a quick recovery for Rees. These kind of injuries are scary and are bigger than the football implications, so here's hoping for some good news soon.

RussB

Reaction score
Honestly , i thought he was still playing yesterday. Who took his place once he left? i didnt even notice he was out.

Rocket

Reaction score
Scariest medical description I've ever heard.
Good job, Doc. :2thumbs:

Y'all pray for the guy.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Yikes that sounds really scary. I've never heard of that before. Hope he heals quickly.

DJrmb

Reaction score
RussB":1ykmsfso said:
Honestly , i thought he was still playing yesterday. Who took his place once he left? i didnt even notice he was out.
He didn't come out. He finished the game.

kidhawk

Reaction score
pmedic920":n0bsaabw said:

Cardiac contusion or bruised heart is a common injury in motor vehicle crashes. It’s in a class called deceleration injuries. It happens when the body comes to a very sudden stop. The heart has some room to move after the body has stopped. It can also happen if the sternum/rib cage gets compressed far/deep enough.

I didn’t see the play that caused the injury so it’s hard for me to make a quality comment beyond that.

Sounds like the description of a concussion except with the heart instead of the brain.

Scary stuff.

OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score
kidhawk":1e6gxw8l said:
pmedic920":1e6gxw8l said:

Sounds like the description of a concussion except with the heart instead of the brain.

Scary stuff.

The mechanics are very similar.
Both organs heart/brain are basically in a container and suspended (floating) if you will. Brain mainly in fluid, Heart by blood vessels and connective tissue.

The brain, many times, suffers two injuries. One on the initial impact, second when it bounces the opposite direction. Here’s an example of that.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coup_contrecoup_injury

OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score
DJrmb":1z1b8ie8 said:

Check this out.
https://amp.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap1000 ... AEA&sr=amp

The signs and symptoms are very similar. It’s potentially a very dangerous scenario.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I feel bad for calling him soft a couple of games ago. Gotta be pretty tough to play with a bruised heart.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Praying for him and his family.

Looking at the play, I thought he might have a bruised lung, which Russell Okung played through a couple years while coughing up blood.

A bruised/bleeding heart is nothing to mess around with. This definitely goes beyond football. Hopefully he gets all the time he needs to recover.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
That really sounds awful. If he's out like it sounds, next man up. Pocic? Or a reshuffling? Joekel to LT, Glowinski back in at LG?

DJrmb

Reaction score
If he's out Tobin will start.

Seymour

Reaction score
Pete just said he does not have a bruised heart. It's a bruised sternum.