Cliff Avril Injury Update

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Per Pete this morning:

Defensive end Cliff Avril was kicked in the chin by Jacoby Brisset’s heel while trying to tackle the Colts quarterback, causing him some sort of spinal injury that left him briefly without feeling in his hands. Carroll said the team will be very cautious before putting him back in action. “We’re gonna be really careful here and make sure we know exactly what’s going on. It will take us a while to figure this out."

sutz

Reaction score
I remember seeing him sitting up, but clenching and unclenching his hands. I was thinking "stinger" but what you quoted makes sense. Some kind of nerve issue, I guess.

Hope he gets well soon. :2thumbs:

Seymour

Reaction score
Weird injury. I saw him violently shaking his arms like he was trying to wake up something on the bench. This explains that now. Get well Cliff.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
Shit that is 2 scary injuries coming out of that game. That does explain the shots of Avril clenching and unclenching his fists after that take down. I assumed it was a feeling thing but wasn't sure what it stemmed from. Hearing it's spinal is worrisome, backs are touchy and not quick to bounce back. Im sure the team will take all necessary precaution and proceed slowly with him.

pmedic920

Reaction score
sutz":22ml4102 said:
I remember seeing him sitting up, but clenching and unclenching his hands. I was thinking "stinger" but what you quoted makes sense. Some kind of nerve issue, I guess.

I felt the same way for a second but the thing that we use to determine “stinger vs spinal cord” is, “stingers” are generally only “one sided”.
Seeing him shake and clinch BOTH hands was alarming for me.

sutz

Reaction score
pmedic920":11jwzu9c said:
sutz":11jwzu9c said:

I felt the same way for a second but the thing that we use to determine “stinger vs spinal cord” is, “stingers” are generally only “one sided”.
Seeing him shake and clinch BOTH hands was alarming for me.
Yeah, I get what you mean. Both hands was kind of strange. Neck and spinal problems are very concerning.

ivotuk

Reaction score
sports.mynorthwest.com/348350/carroll-seahawks-chris-carson-has-fracture-below-knee-updates-on-cliff-avril-rees-od

Mojambo

Reaction score
Hoping he's okay, but he's been absolutely dreadful on the field this season. They were better off with Clark getting his snaps.

xStickybudz

Reaction score
Mojambo":1car2fe5 said:
Hoping he's okay, but he's been absolutely dreadful on the field this season. They were better off with Clark getting his snaps.

I gotta agree I haven't seen much of cliff this season and much prefer frank, having said that Avril is still a huge part of this defence I wish him a fast recovery

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Damn this game was a rough one for our guys. Wishing them all complete recoveries.

OP
OP
Blitzer88

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Hawks signed Quinton Jefferson from the Rams PS just now. Might indicate that Cliff will be out for a while.

Seymour

Reaction score
Blitzer88":563tkbqj said:
Hawks signed Quinton Jefferson from the Rams PS just now. Might indicate that Cliff will be out for a while.

Just about to post this. This is sounding like it could be worse than it appears for Avril.

Jville

Reaction score
Link to Seahawks.com announcement >>>> [urltargetblank]http://www.seahawks.com/news/2017/10/02/seahawks-sign-de-quinton-jefferson-place-chris-carson-injured-reserve[/urltargetblank][tweet]https://twitter.com/johnpboyle/status/914893878506930176[/tweet][tweet]https://twitter.com/johnpboyle/status/914976300057608192[/tweet]

Carroll said Avril got kicked in the chin by Brissett’s heel as the quarterback ran towards the sideline, and added, “Something happened, a spinal injury that caused him a little bit of loss of control for a second in his hands. He came back fine and felt OK, but something happened there, so we’re going to really be careful here and make sure we know exactly what’s going on and take our time. It’ll take us a while to figure out.”

Avril’s injury meant more playing time for Smith, who took advantage with 1.5 sacks, including one that forced a fumble that Bobby Wagner returned for a touchdown.

“Marcus Smith got a chance to get a lot of rushes last night, and showed up,” Carroll said. “He’s a very good athlete and he’s really trying his tail off to get out there and do something. This was his best showing, and it was his biggest numbers too, so he had a chance.”

OP
OP
Blitzer88

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Just got an ESPN alert that said Avril will be out indefinitely. Big blow on top of Carson being out.

OP
OP
Blitzer88

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Yup will be a big blow however long he is out. Especially this weekend when trying to stop Gurley.

2_0_6

Reaction score
I got a stinger back when I was playing organized football in my early 20's and it took about a month before all the side affects and tingling were gone.