Running Back Situation

BlueBlood

Reaction score
Are we good here? Confident in Rawls, Lacy, CJ and McNasty? A lot of folks have been down on Rawls and Lacy in particular to start the season. Just wondering what the vibe from everyone is here now that Carson is out for most if not all of the rest of the season. It would appear that the blocking has gotten somewhat better as the weeks have gone on and they undoubtedly had to play a part in the way Lacy and Rawls have played.

Personally, I still feel like Rawls can return to a dominant runner again although the dreaded random injury fear always will loom in the back of our heads. That said if he were to go down we will be leaning on Lacy who has looked basically aweful aside from a few runs, CJ who also cant stay on the field and McNasty who is versatile but clearly not an every down back.

Are there any free agents out there that you feel could come in and play at a good level or just anyone youd like us to take a flyer on in that event?

What does everyone think?

:2thumbs:

Reaction score
My biggest issue with both Lacy and Rawls up to this point during the season is that they did not seem to be trusting their blocking and were trying to take plays outside. Carson was the one back we seemed to have who was trusting his blocking and also was "sudden" enough to make quick cuts once in the hole to get through open gaps. I think Rawls has shown the ability to make these sort of plays in the past, and could again....he just needs to trust his blocking.

As for Lacy, I think it is possible...but he seems to need a few yards to pick up steam - he had more success in the 2nd half vs the Colts because we went to a more traditional man blocking scheme....so I think only time will tell.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Rawls' 2015 injury has gotten to him. Only intermittently has he run with any confidence since he was hurt.

Lacy is just wholly unremarkable as a runner, to me. On Sunday, the coaching staff switched to a man-blocking scheme in the 2nd half. Lacy responded well. It remains to be seen whether he responded well because of the scheme or because the Colts' defense was worn down.

Prosise has had his moments as a zone runner, but it's hard to see him as a feature back.

McKissic could be interesting, or he could be another Prosise or a one-trick pony. We'll have room for everyone on the roster come Sunday with Carson out, so we might get a chance to see.

I don't really see any free agents floating around that electrify me.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
The RB's we have are fine, but I have no illusions that we will establish any type of running game against the Rams regardless of who's back there.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Christine Michael is a phone call away. I think Lacy, Rawls, McKissic, and CJ will be fine as long as they stay healthy.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
McNasty is an amazing nickname

I expect Rawls to come back strong and help lead the team to victory!

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Rawls hasn't looked good since 2015. Not sure why he gets a pass. Lacy has shown more.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Rawls had a couple great games last year against Carolina and Detroit.
His health is the only thing holding him back.

OP
OP
B

BlueBlood

Reaction score
Michael plays for the Colts.

I like Ryan Matthews.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1q1y368h said:
Christine Michael is a phone call away. I think Lacy, Rawls, McKissic, and CJ will be fine as long as they stay healthy.

No way in hell they're going back to that well.

It'll be what it was suppose to be when the year started, Lacy, Rawls and Prosise and now McKissic splitting 3-4 series.

HawkerD

Reaction score
Carson was the only guy who had a chance of getting our running game back on track. We have what we have.

Anyone who thinks Rawls will return to prominence is just guessing or you just have a "Feeling". He has shown nothing since his original injury that would lead me to believe other wise.

Lacy was running against a worn down terrible defense. He did nothing early in the game nor had he done anything since he arrived. The packers letting him go should tell us a lot.

Procice mixes moments of brilliance between and long periods of injury and mediocrity.

McNasty. Well maybe there something there is he is used correctly. Off Tackle, Flares, Screens, etc. I couldn't believe they were calling A-gap runs with this oline. STUPID!

The Christian Michael comment was OUTLANDISH!

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
HawkerD":g02dmw1r said:
Anyone who thinks Rawls will return to prominence is just guessing or you just have a "Feeling". He has shown nothing since his original injury that would lead me to believe other wise.

You might have missed a good portion of 2016. He had some great games. He just wasn't consistent.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Not confident as none of these backs could beat out Carson...in fact not even close. Maybe mickisic will show something but most of his work vs an already terrible Colts def was in garbage time. He should get the first chance.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
I have a feeling that Mike Davis may be getting called up from the PS here soon. Had a similar feel to Carson's running style during the preseason.

MrThortan

Reaction score
I would like to see Rawls and Lacy after getting more reps and able to build up some momentum. Especially in the second half where the defense is wearing down and more opportunities open up. Still have some hope Rawls can return to form.

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
I thought Lacy looked very sudden late in the game. A couple runs he really took off from behind the line of scrimmage.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
CHawkTailGator":3da4sa8a said:
I thought Lacy looked very sudden late in the game. A couple runs he really took off from behind the line of scrimmage.

For sure, once it was late and the Colt's D had given up/gotten tired, there was more room for Lacy to do what he does best, get through a hole and get to the 2nd level.

The problem is, that plan doesn't work in the first half when their D is fresh and stuffing 8-9 in the box.

Not a fan of Rawls of late, but he probably has a better chance of success, at least in the first half. He can slash through holes much quicker than Lacy.

Optimus25

Reaction score
CHawkTailGator":2zp074wx said:

I would like to officially put this to bed by saying it one more time...

As good as lacy was looking in terms of putting the Colts to bed, i am baffled and pissed that CC was playing at all. That is all.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
I don't understand all the hype around Carson when McKissic looks like a playmaker. I thought he looked better than Carson in the preseason, but maybe everyone wants to hang on to the Lynch style bruising back? I don't know. Without the line Lynch had, and protection breaking down left and right, I'll take a shifty back like McKissic over a bruiser any day.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
BlueBlood":38chctwo said:
Michael plays for the Colts.

I like Ryan Matthews.

Michael isn't even playing this year. He went on IR before preseason even started. My brother-in-law saw him at the airport a couple weeks ago and he was still walking with a cane.