Marcus Smith: How discarded Eagles first-round pick is .....

Jville

Reaction score
Smith
Marcus Smith: How discarded Eagles first-round pick is becoming a different bird with Seahawks >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/nfl/seattle-seahawks/seahawks-insider-blog/article176916756.html#storylink=cpy[/urltargetblank]

Interesting article. Although, OTC lists Smith as playing under a one year contract ..... not 3 year.

It will be interesting to see how the rotation is shuffled this week with the emergence of Smith and return of Quinton Jefferson. I think we are being treated to a fun evolution of defensive line in 2017.

sutz

Reaction score
Well, let's hope they step up, with Avril down.

:2thumbs:

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
We'll see. He was a real head case in Philly, and it doesn't bode well that he was a one-trick pony against Indy until Bennett started coaching him up.

Osprey

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":9jkifngk said:
We'll see. He was a real head case in Philly, and it doesn't bode well that he was a one-trick pony against Indy until Bennett started coaching him up.
Isn't that a good sign in itself, that he's coachable?

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Osprey":1uom1mqz said:
MontanaHawk05":1uom1mqz said:

I thought about that, but I waffle, too. A DE who's doing nothing but bull-rushing is kinda worrisome.

Hairsbredth

Reaction score
Good to know the back ups are talented and healthy. I am wondering the status of Malik. Out for season, 8 games or how long?
Thanks
Go Hawks

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Hairsbredth":1of7xm99 said:
Good to know the back ups are talented and healthy. I am wondering the status of Malik. Out for season, 8 games or how long?
Thanks
Go Hawks
I may be the minority in thinking this, but, I think Malik is done with his NFL career before it even started.

massari

Reaction score
Hairsbredth":2w8g3m45 said:
Thanks
Go Hawks
Hopefully they just let McDowell rest/heal for the season and not burn a year off his rookie contract.

Wondering about Dion Jordan as well.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":34cze7ak said:
Osprey":34cze7ak said:
MontanaHawk05":34cze7ak said:

I thought about that, but I waffle, too. A DE who's doing nothing but bull-rushing is kinda worrisome.
I kind of take it as, just maybe they weren't adept at coaching him up right when he was playing for the Eagles.
He' must have had shown some promise to be Drafted by them in the first round, hopefully, he's not an Aaron Curry 2.0
A guy that big & running in the mid four second range in the 40.
I'm betting Bennett is going to work with him to improve his hand fighting skills.
It would be nice to see him get it going pretty quick, because now that Avril is laid up, the Hawks D is going to need him to step up.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I think he was not played in the right position for him in Philly. He's DE as a base end not an OLB pass rusher. He's gained weight here and is not playing as a rush OLBas he was in Philly. I think Pete saw unused talent and exceptional athletic ability and knows he can make something with that natural ability.

Teaching him to be more instinctive will come with patience and maybe the team has snagged a genuine discarded diamond in he rough. I'm wondering as well what they might be able to get from Dion Jordan once he's healthy. Both players may turn out to be nice pickups from the discard pile. If not the team has grabbed two players who were drafted in the very early 1st rounds of their respective drafts because of their perceived athleticism at very low cost to see if they can be coached up to be all they were thought able to be at an earlier time.

Add Malik McDowell to these guys and Clark and Richardson and here might be the replacements for Avril and Bennett. If not both as said cost little to try out, low risk with potential high reward.

Hawks46

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":ptum4e2x said:
Osprey":ptum4e2x said:
MontanaHawk05":ptum4e2x said:

I've seen him speed rush plenty. I just have never seen a counter move or good hand usage out of him. If he's listening to Bennett, he'll get the hands down. Bennett and Richardson are two of the best hand fighters in the NFL.

smashmouth59

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3mj08hij said:

How was he a head case? One trick pony? Please tell us the alternative insight that you so commonly possess.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Hopefully, he will continue to listen and learn and play to his ability. There is no better place for him to be right now.

ivotuk

Reaction score
We get a player that washed out in Philly, supposedly was used wrong, is 6'3" and runs a 4.58 forty?

Chris Clemons anyone?

RockinHawks

Reaction score
I noticed his speed in preseason, as well as a couple of spin moves that impressed my untrained eyes. Here's hoping he continues to improve, utilize his coaches and makes some plays!