Pete Carroll contingency plans at cornerback, left tackle ..

Jville

Reaction score
Rees Odhiambo stance 620

Pete Carroll has contingency plans at cornerback, left tackle >>> [urltargetblank]http://sports.mynorthwest.com/348843/contingency-plans-left-tackle/[/urltargetblank]

For me, the options at left tackle add welcomed intrigue to the Rams game.

While the depth at corner provides a follow up confirmation opportunity.

These are fun times to be a Seahawks fan.

iigakusei

Reaction score
Hate to say it - but I think we will see an upgrade with both Odhiambo and Lane being out.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
So either Tobin or Battle. What about Pocic? Is he ever going to play? And where?

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
iigakusei":1hz8sssx said:
Hate to say it - but I think we will see an upgrade with both Odhiambo and Lane being out.

I don't know about Lane. Griffin played pretty badly against a backup CB.

Seymour

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":2npzphie said:
So either Tobin or Battle. What about Pocic? Is he ever going to play? And where?

Pocic is our backup center. Too valuable to move.
That is an extremely important position you know.
:sarcasm_off:

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
Seymour":2c1n8spm said:
oldhawkfan":2c1n8spm said:

Backup RT and RG (?) as well. Basically backs up the entire right side. That's why he's been active every week without taking a snap.

Seymour

Reaction score
jdemps":p9ibq0jw said:
Seymour":p9ibq0jw said:
oldhawkfan":p9ibq0jw said:

Backup RT and RG (?) as well. Basically backs up the entire right side. That's why he's been active every week without taking a snap.

Not according to Cable. He said "inside 2 positions", and intentionally left out tackle as an option for him.

He is also listed as the #3 R and L guard here though?

http://www.seahawks.com/team/depth-chart

iigakusei

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1nza84u4 said:
iigakusei":1nza84u4 said:

Admittedly I am not a huge Lane fan - but I thought Griffin did okay. The TD he had good coverage (could have turned I suppose), just a good throw and great catch.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":2n8oj6s7 said:

Ethan Pocic is their active back up at center. He is also a backup at guard. Tobin has the depth of experience and is the versatile backup at both tackle and guard. Neither Pocic nor Tobin process the coveted 34+ inch arms for tackle. Battle is a big up side project with a 6'-7" frame and coveted 35 3/8 " arms.

There is nothing wrong with holding off on Pocic as he works with position, strength and conditioning coaches. They can afford to be very deliberate with the development of their first year rookie. It's not like there is an offensive line tree out there with surplus candidates available for the picking. They traded for both Tobin and Battle to fortify their tackle positions.

Seymour

Reaction score
Jville":m7k8j2jg said:
....They can afford to be very deliberate with the development of their first year rookie......

137158 620x370

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
Seymour":al7s1hza said:
Jville":al7s1hza said:
....They can afford to be very deliberate with the development of their first year rookie......

137158 620x370

:thumbdown: Once again, your completely off topic. Nobody in your photo plays corner back or on the offensive line. Please reread the subject line.

adeltaY

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2xhk30gc said:
iigakusei":2xhk30gc said:

Brissett is pretty great for a backup QB tbh. Also, Shaq covered that TD pretty dang well, he was half a second late getting his hands around to the ball and Moncrief made a great catch. Just got to tip your cap on some of those, it was a great throw from Brissett.

Glad to see he didn't get beat over the top or give up much. I think he surrendered 68 yards and a TD? I'll take that happily for a rookie thrust into action (again) due to Lane's injury.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Jville":5n4ix3go said:
oldhawkfan":5n4ix3go said:

Ethan Pocic is their active back up at center. He is also a backup at guard. Tobin has the depth of experience and is the versatile backup at both tackle and guard. Neither Pocic nor Tobin process the coveted 34+ inch arms for tackle. Battle is a big up side project with a 6'-7" frame and coveted 35 3/8 " arms.

There is nothing wrong with holding off on Pocic as he works with position, strength and conditioning coaches. They can afford to be very deliberate with the development of their first year rookie. It's not like there is an offensive line tree out there with surplus candidates available for the picking. They traded for both Tobin and Battle to fortify their tackle positions.

I tend to agree here. I do think that Pocic's opportunities were stunted the moment that Fant went down. We ended up having to add both Tobin and Battle and to do that, lost Hunt. I think if Fant hadn't gone down, we probably don't make the move for Tobin, and keep Hunt and elevate Pocic on the depth chart.

And looking how it's shaped up 4 games in, I think that was a wise move. We're now down to our 3rd option at LT. Shoring up depth on that side may well be key to salvaging a tough year injury wise.

Kind of reminds me of 2008 (I think) when we lost like 6 WRs in a crazy fluke year. Attrition is really hard to absorb when it delves deep into your depth options.

I can understand the frustration. But Aboushi was a better hedge option at RG than Tobin or Battle was at LT. Cannibalizing an OL spot (Hunt) was merited. But it's at the expense of Pocic's ability to contribute this year which is tough in the medium term. The good news is, getting a backup center is pretty easy to do in the draft for next year. I expect Pocic will be on schedule for a starting nod in 2018 assuming Britt remains healthy this year.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sounds like Rees is back to practice today anyway.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":1w0kg2p8 said:
Jville":1w0kg2p8 said:
oldhawkfan":1w0kg2p8 said:

I tend to agree here. I do think that Pocic's opportunities were stunted the moment that Fant went down. We ended up having to add both Tobin and Battle and to do that, lost Hunt. I think if Fant hadn't gone down, we probably don't make the move for Tobin, and keep Hunt and elevate Pocic on the depth chart.

And looking how it's shaped up 4 games in, I think that was a wise move. We're now down to our 3rd option at LT. Shoring up depth on that side may well be key to salvaging a tough year injury wise.

Kind of reminds me of 2008 (I think) when we lost like 6 WRs in a crazy fluke year. Attrition is really hard to absorb when it delves deep into your depth options.

I can understand the frustration. But Aboushi was a better hedge option at RG than Tobin or Battle was at LT. Cannibalizing an OL spot (Hunt) was merited. But it's at the expense of Pocic's ability to contribute this year which is tough in the medium term. The good news is, getting a backup center is pretty easy to do in the draft for next year. I expect Pocic will be on schedule for a starting nod in 2018 assuming Britt remains healthy this year.

Here's the thing. I have heard in the past from both Pete and Tom that they try to get the best 5 guys on the team on the line. That is why we have seen lots of shuffling of guys. If they really do attempt to get the 5 best, what does it say about Pocic? Or are they just gun shy in getting him in games in fear that they may see what they have seen in Ifedi? If Fant were still healthy and Tobin and Battle were also in the mix, would that make Pocic the 8th or 9th best lineman on the team? I seem to remember watching him in pre season playing RT and doing well. As horrific as the line was in the first 3 games (there was much better protection in the Colts game), you can't tell me that Pocic wouldn't be at least as good( or bad) as the guys they had playing. Its absolutely astounding that with this line and a 2nd round rookie sitting there that he can't somehow crack the lineup.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
Shaquill Griffin is still in the process of making a big jump from Central Florida to the NFL. And, although he is on a rookie learning curve, his progress has exceeded my expectations.

The Justin Coleman story is terrific. He originally signed with Minnesota. He had some practice squad time with Seattle. Then he goes to New England where he gets significant game snaps to develop as a player. Trading for him was well worth the price to avoid his initial developmental learning curve. I really like him on the inside. I thought Coleman was an exceptional and timely trade.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
iigakusei":3blmkosn said:
MontanaHawk05":3blmkosn said:
iigakusei":3blmkosn said:

Admittedly I am not a huge Lane fan - but I thought Griffin did okay. The TD he had good coverage (could have turned I suppose), just a good throw and great catch.

That's true, it was a good catch. But he was out of position on the long Brandon Williams TD and the early TY Hilton hit could have been more preventable. Couple others IIRC.

raisethe3

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":23e36wxy said:
iigakusei":23e36wxy said:
MontanaHawk05":23e36wxy said:
iigakusei":23e36wxy said:

That's true, it was a good catch. But he was out of position on the long Brandon Williams TD and the early TY Hilton hit could have been more preventable. Couple others IIRC.

He's a rookie. I am sure he's going this will provide him some learning experience.

Unlike Lane, who's been here over 4 years. Yeah...

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Jville":1cie3o4x said:
Seymour":1cie3o4x said:
Jville":1cie3o4x said:

137158 620x370

:thumbdown: Once again, your completely off topic. Nobody in your photo plays corner back or on the offensive line. Please reread the subject line.
Hmm, seems pretty clear to me what he (Seymour) meant, as with the way Wilson is being mugged, it doesn't appear that there's ANYONE playing "On The Offensive Line"

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
scutterhawk":23mp1646 said:
Hmm, seems pretty clear to me what he (Seymour) meant, as with the way Wilson is being mugged, it doesn't appear that there's ANYONE playing "On The Offensive Line"

^^^^
It's not that difficult to discern. There are already countless posts littering the forum whose sole purpose is trashing and demeaning position groups, players and coaches. That is not the subject of this thread.

The subject / topic of this thread is ....."Pete Carroll has contingency plans at cornerback, left tackle".