Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Pete Carroll contingency plans at cornerback, left tackle ..

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • Image

    Pete Carroll has contingency plans at cornerback, left tackle >>> http://sports.mynorthwest.com/348843/contingency-plans-left-tackle/

    For me, the options at left tackle add welcomed intrigue to the Rams game.

    While the depth at corner provides a follow up confirmation opportunity.

    These are fun times to be a Seahawks fan.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 6915
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:49 pm


  • Hate to say it - but I think we will see an upgrade with both Odhiambo and Lane being out.
    User avatar
    iigakusei
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1466
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 6:14 am


  • So either Tobin or Battle. What about Pocic? Is he ever going to play? And where?
    Go Hawks!
    oldhawkfan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1394
    Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:06 pm
    Location: Spokane


  • iigakusei wrote:Hate to say it - but I think we will see an upgrade with both Odhiambo and Lane being out.


    I don't know about Lane. Griffin played pretty badly against a backup CB.
    GO HAWKS!!!

    Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    User avatar
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *
     
    Posts: 16214
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:46 am


  • oldhawkfan wrote:So either Tobin or Battle. What about Pocic? Is he ever going to play? And where?


    Pocic is our backup center. Too valuable to move.
    That is an extremely important position you know.
    :sarcasm_off:
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3218
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


  • Seymour wrote:
    oldhawkfan wrote:So either Tobin or Battle. What about Pocic? Is he ever going to play? And where?


    Pocic is our backup center. Too valuable to move.
    That is an extremely important position you know.
    :sarcasm_off:


    Backup RT and RG (?) as well. Basically backs up the entire right side. That's why he's been active every week without taking a snap.
    User avatar
    jdemps
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 846
    Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:11 pm
    Location: SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of Hawk homerism


  • jdemps wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    oldhawkfan wrote:So either Tobin or Battle. What about Pocic? Is he ever going to play? And where?


    Pocic is our backup center. Too valuable to move.
    That is an extremely important position you know.
    :sarcasm_off:


    Backup RT and RG (?) as well. Basically backs up the entire right side. That's why he's been active every week without taking a snap.


    Not according to Cable. He said "inside 2 positions", and intentionally left out tackle as an option for him.

    He is also listed as the #3 R and L guard here though?

    http://www.seahawks.com/team/depth-chart
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3218
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    iigakusei wrote:Hate to say it - but I think we will see an upgrade with both Odhiambo and Lane being out.


    I don't know about Lane. Griffin played pretty badly against a backup CB.

    Admittedly I am not a huge Lane fan - but I thought Griffin did okay. The TD he had good coverage (could have turned I suppose), just a good throw and great catch.
    User avatar
    iigakusei
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1466
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 6:14 am


  • oldhawkfan wrote:So either Tobin or Battle. What about Pocic? Is he ever going to play? And where?


    Ethan Pocic is their active back up at center. He is also a backup at guard. Tobin has the depth of experience and is the versatile backup at both tackle and guard. Neither Pocic nor Tobin process the coveted 34+ inch arms for tackle. Battle is a big up side project with a 6'-7" frame and coveted 35 3/8 " arms.

    There is nothing wrong with holding off on Pocic as he works with position, strength and conditioning coaches. They can afford to be very deliberate with the development of their first year rookie. It's not like there is an offensive line tree out there with surplus candidates available for the picking. They traded for both Tobin and Battle to fortify their tackle positions.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 6915
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:49 pm


  • Jville wrote:....They can afford to be very deliberate with the development of their first year rookie......


    Image
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3218
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


  • Seymour wrote:
    Jville wrote:....They can afford to be very deliberate with the development of their first year rookie......


    Image


    :thumbdown: Once again, your completely off topic. Nobody in your photo plays corner back or on the offensive line. Please reread the subject line.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 6915
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:49 pm


  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    iigakusei wrote:Hate to say it - but I think we will see an upgrade with both Odhiambo and Lane being out.


    I don't know about Lane. Griffin played pretty badly against a backup CB.


    Brissett is pretty great for a backup QB tbh. Also, Shaq covered that TD pretty dang well, he was half a second late getting his hands around to the ball and Moncrief made a great catch. Just got to tip your cap on some of those, it was a great throw from Brissett.

    Glad to see he didn't get beat over the top or give up much. I think he surrendered 68 yards and a TD? I'll take that happily for a rookie thrust into action (again) due to Lane's injury.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 941
    Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:22 pm
    Location: Portland, OR


  • Jville wrote:
    oldhawkfan wrote:So either Tobin or Battle. What about Pocic? Is he ever going to play? And where?


    Ethan Pocic is their active back up at center. He is also a backup at guard. Tobin has the depth of experience and is the versatile backup at both tackle and guard. Neither Pocic nor Tobin process the coveted 34+ inch arms for tackle. Battle is a big up side project with a 6'-7" frame and coveted 35 3/8 " arms.

    There is nothing wrong with holding off on Pocic as he works with position, strength and conditioning coaches. They can afford to be very deliberate with the development of their first year rookie. It's not like there is an offensive line tree out there with surplus candidates available for the picking. They traded for both Tobin and Battle to fortify their tackle positions.


    I tend to agree here. I do think that Pocic's opportunities were stunted the moment that Fant went down. We ended up having to add both Tobin and Battle and to do that, lost Hunt. I think if Fant hadn't gone down, we probably don't make the move for Tobin, and keep Hunt and elevate Pocic on the depth chart.

    And looking how it's shaped up 4 games in, I think that was a wise move. We're now down to our 3rd option at LT. Shoring up depth on that side may well be key to salvaging a tough year injury wise.

    Kind of reminds me of 2008 (I think) when we lost like 6 WRs in a crazy fluke year. Attrition is really hard to absorb when it delves deep into your depth options.

    I can understand the frustration. But Aboushi was a better hedge option at RG than Tobin or Battle was at LT. Cannibalizing an OL spot (Hunt) was merited. But it's at the expense of Pocic's ability to contribute this year which is tough in the medium term. The good news is, getting a backup center is pretty easy to do in the draft for next year. I expect Pocic will be on schedule for a starting nod in 2018 assuming Britt remains healthy this year.
    User avatar
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2074
    Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:38 pm


  • Sounds like Rees is back to practice today anyway.
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3218
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


  • Attyla the Hawk wrote:
    Jville wrote:
    oldhawkfan wrote:So either Tobin or Battle. What about Pocic? Is he ever going to play? And where?


    Ethan Pocic is their active back up at center. He is also a backup at guard. Tobin has the depth of experience and is the versatile backup at both tackle and guard. Neither Pocic nor Tobin process the coveted 34+ inch arms for tackle. Battle is a big up side project with a 6'-7" frame and coveted 35 3/8 " arms.

    There is nothing wrong with holding off on Pocic as he works with position, strength and conditioning coaches. They can afford to be very deliberate with the development of their first year rookie. It's not like there is an offensive line tree out there with surplus candidates available for the picking. They traded for both Tobin and Battle to fortify their tackle positions.


    I tend to agree here. I do think that Pocic's opportunities were stunted the moment that Fant went down. We ended up having to add both Tobin and Battle and to do that, lost Hunt. I think if Fant hadn't gone down, we probably don't make the move for Tobin, and keep Hunt and elevate Pocic on the depth chart.

    And looking how it's shaped up 4 games in, I think that was a wise move. We're now down to our 3rd option at LT. Shoring up depth on that side may well be key to salvaging a tough year injury wise.

    Kind of reminds me of 2008 (I think) when we lost like 6 WRs in a crazy fluke year. Attrition is really hard to absorb when it delves deep into your depth options.

    I can understand the frustration. But Aboushi was a better hedge option at RG than Tobin or Battle was at LT. Cannibalizing an OL spot (Hunt) was merited. But it's at the expense of Pocic's ability to contribute this year which is tough in the medium term. The good news is, getting a backup center is pretty easy to do in the draft for next year. I expect Pocic will be on schedule for a starting nod in 2018 assuming Britt remains healthy this year.



    Here's the thing. I have heard in the past from both Pete and Tom that they try to get the best 5 guys on the team on the line. That is why we have seen lots of shuffling of guys. If they really do attempt to get the 5 best, what does it say about Pocic? Or are they just gun shy in getting him in games in fear that they may see what they have seen in Ifedi? If Fant were still healthy and Tobin and Battle were also in the mix, would that make Pocic the 8th or 9th best lineman on the team? I seem to remember watching him in pre season playing RT and doing well. As horrific as the line was in the first 3 games (there was much better protection in the Colts game), you can't tell me that Pocic wouldn't be at least as good( or bad) as the guys they had playing. Its absolutely astounding that with this line and a 2nd round rookie sitting there that he can't somehow crack the lineup.
    Go Hawks!
    oldhawkfan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1394
    Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:06 pm
    Location: Spokane


  • Shaquill Griffin is still in the process of making a big jump from Central Florida to the NFL. And, although he is on a rookie learning curve, his progress has exceeded my expectations.

    The Justin Coleman story is terrific. He originally signed with Minnesota. He had some practice squad time with Seattle. Then he goes to New England where he gets significant game snaps to develop as a player. Trading for him was well worth the price to avoid his initial developmental learning curve. I really like him on the inside. I thought Coleman was an exceptional and timely trade.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 6915
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:49 pm


  • iigakusei wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    iigakusei wrote:Hate to say it - but I think we will see an upgrade with both Odhiambo and Lane being out.


    I don't know about Lane. Griffin played pretty badly against a backup CB.

    Admittedly I am not a huge Lane fan - but I thought Griffin did okay. The TD he had good coverage (could have turned I suppose), just a good throw and great catch.


    That's true, it was a good catch. But he was out of position on the long Brandon Williams TD and the early TY Hilton hit could have been more preventable. Couple others IIRC.
    GO HAWKS!!!

    Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    User avatar
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *
     
    Posts: 16214
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:46 am


  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    iigakusei wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    iigakusei wrote:Hate to say it - but I think we will see an upgrade with both Odhiambo and Lane being out.


    I don't know about Lane. Griffin played pretty badly against a backup CB.

    Admittedly I am not a huge Lane fan - but I thought Griffin did okay. The TD he had good coverage (could have turned I suppose), just a good throw and great catch.


    That's true, it was a good catch. But he was out of position on the long Brandon Williams TD and the early TY Hilton hit could have been more preventable. Couple others IIRC.


    He's a rookie. I am sure he's going this will provide him some learning experience.

    Unlike Lane, who's been here over 4 years. Yeah...
    L.O.B.
    User avatar
    raisethe3
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 536
    Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:15 pm


  • Jville wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    Jville wrote:....They can afford to be very deliberate with the development of their first year rookie......


    Image


    :thumbdown: Once again, your completely off topic. Nobody in your photo plays corner back or on the offensive line. Please reread the subject line.

    Hmm, seems pretty clear to me what he (Seymour) meant, as with the way Wilson is being mugged, it doesn't appear that there's ANYONE playing "On The Offensive Line"
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6307
    Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:48 pm


  • scutterhawk wrote:Hmm, seems pretty clear to me what he (Seymour) meant, as with the way Wilson is being mugged, it doesn't appear that there's ANYONE playing "On The Offensive Line"


    ^^^^
    It's not that difficult to discern. There are already countless posts littering the forum whose sole purpose is trashing and demeaning position groups, players and coaches. That is not the subject of this thread.

    The subject / topic of this thread is ....."Pete Carroll has contingency plans at cornerback, left tackle".
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 6915
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:49 pm


  • Jville wrote:Shaquill Griffin is still in the process of making a big jump from Central Florida to the NFL. And, although he is on a rookie learning curve, his progress has exceeded my expectations.

    The Justin Coleman story is terrific. He originally signed with Minnesota. He had some practice squad time with Seattle. Then he goes to New England where he gets significant game snaps to develop as a player. Trading for him was well worth the price to avoid his initial developmental learning curve. I really like him on the inside. I thought Coleman was an exceptional and timely trade.


    Good points. Justin Coleman reminds me a lot like Marcus Burley. In 2014, Marcus Burley was key depth player for the Seahawks. Justin Coleman is seems to be fitting that role for this team. There are so many similarities between the two it's uncanny. Burley was also acquired in a trade for a late rounder. He's 5'11, 185 pds. Coleman is 5'11, 190. Burley wore #28 for the Seahawks and Coleman is now wearing that number.
    User avatar
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6782
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:10 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • hawkfan68 wrote:
    Jville wrote:Shaquill Griffin is still in the process of making a big jump from Central Florida to the NFL. And, although he is on a rookie learning curve, his progress has exceeded my expectations.

    The Justin Coleman story is terrific. He originally signed with Minnesota. He had some practice squad time with Seattle. Then he goes to New England where he gets significant game snaps to develop as a player. Trading for him was well worth the price to avoid his initial developmental learning curve. I really like him on the inside. I thought Coleman was an exceptional and timely trade.


    Good points. Justin Coleman reminds me a lot like Marcus Burley. In 2014, Marcus Burley was key depth player for the Seahawks. Justin Coleman is seems to be fitting that role for this team. There are so many similarities between the two it's uncanny. Burley was also acquired in a trade for a late rounder. He's 5'11, 185 pds. Coleman is 5'11, 190. Burley wore #28 for the Seahawks and Coleman is now wearing that number.


    Marcus Burley is who I also thought of at the time of the announcement of Justin Coleman's acquisition. Similar type of interior corner. Didn't realize Burley wore the same number. I was disappointed with the departure of Burley. Justin replaces the loss of that type of corner. The defensive back field is better with Justin on board.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 6915
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:49 pm


  • Jville wrote:
    scutterhawk wrote:Hmm, seems pretty clear to me what he (Seymour) meant, as with the way Wilson is being mugged, it doesn't appear that there's ANYONE playing "On The Offensive Line"


    ^^^^
    It's not that difficult to discern. There are already countless posts littering the forum whose sole purpose is trashing and demeaning position groups, players and coaches. That is not the subject of this thread.

    The subject / topic of this thread is ....."Pete Carroll has contingency plans at cornerback, left tackle".


    Left Tackle is an O-Line position.....It's not about the "Trashing or Demeaning" of the Position Groups, Players and Coaches", it IS about fielding your best players, and seeing as how RW is constantly under the gun, we've yet to field our best....Coaching a rookie at their leisure, when he might be BETTER than Odhiambo (couldn't do much worse), and maybe even help at LEFT TACKLE.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6307
    Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:48 pm


  • scutterhawk wrote:
    Jville wrote:
    scutterhawk wrote:Hmm, seems pretty clear to me what he (Seymour) meant, as with the way Wilson is being mugged, it doesn't appear that there's ANYONE playing "On The Offensive Line"


    ^^^^
    It's not that difficult to discern. There are already countless posts littering the forum whose sole purpose is trashing and demeaning position groups, players and coaches. That is not the subject of this thread.

    The subject / topic of this thread is ....."Pete Carroll has contingency plans at cornerback, left tackle".


    Left Tackle is an O-Line position.....It's not about the "Trashing or Demeaning" of the Position Groups, Players and Coaches", it IS about fielding your best players, and seeing as how RW is constantly under the gun, we've yet to field our best....Coaching a rookie at their leisure, when he might be BETTER than Odhiambo (couldn't do much worse), and maybe even help at LEFT TACKLE.


    Russell Wilson is not a cornerback or left tackle. And to reiterate ... there are already countless posts littering the forum whose sole purpose is trashing and demeaning position groups, players and coaches. That is not the subject of this thread.

    The subject / topic of this thread is ....."Pete Carroll has contingency plans at cornerback, left tackle". The article addresses the next men up at those respective positions. Consider reading or rereading the article.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 6915
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:49 pm



  • If Rees starts the first play I drive into him right in the chest and fall on him, you know he is not healed and the weight and punch of a drive will cause issue even if it takes a few times. Chances are the Seahawks will not have multiple players active that can fill reasonable if he is active, advantage Rams.

    At Corner we are limited unless we activate someone which in a week or so will make them waiver available.

    It's game 5 and were already into our emergency situation players.

    Plus todays injury report for practice have a lot of player one play away from aggravating or worsening a condition.

    The Seahawks were minus nine players on the practice field Wednesday, with receiver Doug Baldwin (groin), tight end Jimmy Graham (ankle), left guard Luke Joeckel (knee), running back C.J. Prosise (ankle), defensive end Cliff Avril (neck), cornerback Jeremy Lane (groin), linebacker Michael Wilhoite (hamstring), cornerback Richard Sherman (groin), and safety Earl Thomas (knee) all sidelined to start Week 5. 

    We need to put them in a group Hyperbolic chamber, wonder if Terrell Owens still uses his and if Wilsons super healing water is in stick at the VMAC.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 22463
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • I am stoked with what Griffen is providing. Better than anything Simon ever showed and much more athletic than Shead. He is seeing a lot of targets because QBs stay away from Sherman. Griffen is learning fast and he will be a stud by the end of the year
    User avatar
    HawkerD
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 457
    Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:33 am
    Location: Covington WA


  • chris98251 wrote:If Rees starts the first play I drive into him right in the chest and fall on him, you know he is not healed and the weight and punch of a drive will cause issue even if it takes a few times. Chances are the Seahawks will not have multiple players active that can fill reasonable if he is active, advantage Rams.

    At Corner we are limited unless we activate someone which in a week or so will make them waiver available.

    It's game 5 and were already into our emergency situation players.

    Plus todays injury report for practice have a lot of player one play away from aggravating or worsening a condition.

    The Seahawks were minus nine players on the practice field Wednesday, with receiver Doug Baldwin (groin), tight end Jimmy Graham (ankle), left guard Luke Joeckel (knee), running back C.J. Prosise (ankle), defensive end Cliff Avril (neck), cornerback Jeremy Lane (groin), linebacker Michael Wilhoite (hamstring), cornerback Richard Sherman (groin), and safety Earl Thomas (knee) all sidelined to start Week 5. 

    We need to put them in a group Hyperbolic chamber, wonder if Terrell Owens still uses his and if Wilsons super healing water is in stick at the VMAC.


    Why would the other team want him out of the game though? ;)
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3218
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


  • Jville wrote:
    scutterhawk wrote:Hmm, seems pretty clear to me what he (Seymour) meant, as with the way Wilson is being mugged, it doesn't appear that there's ANYONE playing "On The Offensive Line"


    ^^^^
    It's not that difficult to discern. There are already countless posts littering the forum whose sole purpose is trashing and demeaning position groups, players and coaches. That is not the subject of this thread.

    The subject / topic of this thread is ....."Pete Carroll has contingency plans at cornerback, left tackle".


    The post (pic) was a direct and applicable response to YOUR POST. If you don't want to hear it, then I suggest you don't make ridiculously obtuse statements about what we have the luxury to afford. It was 100% on that topic that you took it to.
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3218
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


  • scutterhawk wrote:
    Jville wrote:
    scutterhawk wrote:Hmm, seems pretty clear to me what he (Seymour) meant, as with the way Wilson is being mugged, it doesn't appear that there's ANYONE playing "On The Offensive Line"


    ^^^^
    It's not that difficult to discern. There are already countless posts littering the forum whose sole purpose is trashing and demeaning position groups, players and coaches. That is not the subject of this thread.

    The subject / topic of this thread is ....."Pete Carroll has contingency plans at cornerback, left tackle".


    Left Tackle is an O-Line position.....It's not about the "Trashing or Demeaning" of the Position Groups, Players and Coaches", it IS about fielding your best players, and seeing as how RW is constantly under the gun, we've yet to field our best....Coaching a rookie at their leisure, when he might be BETTER than Odhiambo (couldn't do much worse), and maybe even help at LEFT TACKLE.


    Your assumption that a rookie center could help at left tackle is a pretty ludicrous statement given our history of rookie OL under the Carroll/Cable regime.
    Here's a list of rookies we've started day 1:
    Carpenter and Moffatt - liability
    Sweezy - liability
    Britt - liability
    Ifedi - liability.

    I think though doth protest too much. I believe Cable thinks he has the best players out there now, although I suspect that Tobin might be better than Rees. I doubt Pocic is better than anyone right now but might be by later on in the year or early next year. Picking Glow over Aboushi was a miss, but to be fair, that was a tight battle and they went with the younger higher ceiling guy.
    Mad Dog
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 186
    Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:12 am


  • HawkerD wrote:I am stoked with what Griffen is providing. Better than anything Simon ever showed and much more athletic than Shead. He is seeing a lot of targets because QBs stay away from Sherman. Griffen is learning fast and he will be a stud by the end of the year


    Agreed. I like what he brings to the defense. He'll be a great contingency plan for Lane and Shead until they return.
    Coleman has been playing solid in nickel packages too. That pick six he had last week had me having flashbacks of Walter Thurmond in 2013
    semiahmoo wrote:I'll say it again - this is Pete's last season in Seattle if the teams doesn't make a legit hard run deep into the playoffs.
    User avatar
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2100
    Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:39 am
    Location: Spokane, WA


  • Im also high on Shaq, I think he's equipped himself very well considering hes been thrust into starting roles a couple times, its a big step up in class from his college days but hes battling and hes around the ball, and not Kelly Jennings around th ball but competing for balls but considering hes going to get picked on a lot being the back up thrown in and opp sherm that hes not overwhelmed is showing me hes a gamer. Getting into games this early is only gonna help him adapt, and there will be some growing pains but I'll take that for the upside he looks to have over Lane
    flmmkrz
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1421
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:13 am


  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:That's true, it was a good catch. But he was out of position on the long Brandon Williams TD and the early TY Hilton hit could have been more preventable. Couple others IIRC.


    What long Brandon Williams TD? They scored on a Robert Turbin run after the long Brissett run. Then they scored on the nearly perfect throw and catch that I have zero problems with Griffin's coverage on and submit that Lane could and would do no better.

    There weren't any other TDs unless I'm missing something.

    Just my opinion but I don't think he played badly or even close to badly compared to other CB2s we've had in general and Lane in specific.
    hawk45
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8227
    Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:08 pm


  • Mad Dog wrote:
    scutterhawk wrote:
    Jville wrote:
    scutterhawk wrote:Hmm, seems pretty clear to me what he (Seymour) meant, as with the way Wilson is being mugged, it doesn't appear that there's ANYONE playing "On The Offensive Line"


    ^^^^
    It's not that difficult to discern. There are already countless posts littering the forum whose sole purpose is trashing and demeaning position groups, players and coaches. That is not the subject of this thread.

    The subject / topic of this thread is ....."Pete Carroll has contingency plans at cornerback, left tackle".


    Left Tackle is an O-Line position.....It's not about the "Trashing or Demeaning" of the Position Groups, Players and Coaches", it IS about fielding your best players, and seeing as how RW is constantly under the gun, we've yet to field our best....Coaching a rookie at their leisure, when he might be BETTER than Odhiambo (couldn't do much worse), and maybe even help at LEFT TACKLE.


    Your assumption that a rookie center could help at left tackle is a pretty ludicrous statement given our history of rookie OL under the Carroll/Cable regime.
    Here's a list of rookies we've started day 1:
    Carpenter and Moffatt - liability
    Sweezy - liability
    Britt - liability
    Ifedi - liability.

    I think though doth protest too much. I believe Cable thinks he has the best players out there now, although I suspect that Tobin might be better than Rees. I doubt Pocic is better than anyone right now but might be by later on in the year or early next year. Picking Glow over Aboushi was a miss, but to be fair, that was a tight battle and they went with the younger higher ceiling guy.

    Pocic doesn't just play CENTER.
    Fant wasn't a TRUE LT when he was thrown into the fray.
    Britt wasn't Drafted as a Center.
    Funny how we want to talk about an OFFENSIVE Tackle, yet IGNORE one of his most pertinent job on the Line; that duty being?, to do his BEST at protecting our once in a decade Franchise Quarterback.
    Performance is the crux of this conversation?, the tail goes with the hide.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6307
    Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:48 pm


  • HawkerD wrote:I am stoked with what Griffen is providing. Better than anything Simon ever showed and much more athletic than Shead. He is seeing a lot of targets because QBs stay away from Sherman. Griffen is learning fast and he will be a stud by the end of the year


    Pretty much this. I hope he can nab that starting RCB (sorry Shead and Lane) for the years to come.
    L.O.B.
    User avatar
    raisethe3
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 536
    Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:15 pm


  • Grades for Joeckel have continued to rise and Britt remains a top center.

    Ifedi still has average at best numbers but even the best of what we seen from him.

    Aboushi is playing better than Glowinski was.

    Perhaps we can get Pocic working at RG sometime next year, while I hope Ifedi continue to prove and Fant/free agent plays LT.
    User avatar
    NFSeahawks628
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4027
    Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:33 pm
    Location: Born: Tacoma, WA Current Location: Tally, Seminole Country (Road Hawk)


  • I'm just hoping that whichever LT we end up with will use the opportunity to step up his game and prove to be a diamond in the rough. It's a longshot I know, but one can dream. How cool would that be?
    Send Lawyers, Guns and Money!
    GO 'HAWKS!!
    User avatar
    WmHBonney
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1133
    Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:11 pm


  • scutterhawk wrote:
    Mad Dog wrote:
    scutterhawk wrote:
    Jville wrote:
    ^^^^
    It's not that difficult to discern. There are already countless posts littering the forum whose sole purpose is trashing and demeaning position groups, players and coaches. That is not the subject of this thread.

    The subject / topic of this thread is ....."Pete Carroll has contingency plans at cornerback, left tackle".


    Left Tackle is an O-Line position.....It's not about the "Trashing or Demeaning" of the Position Groups, Players and Coaches", it IS about fielding your best players, and seeing as how RW is constantly under the gun, we've yet to field our best....Coaching a rookie at their leisure, when he might be BETTER than Odhiambo (couldn't do much worse), and maybe even help at LEFT TACKLE.


    Your assumption that a rookie center could help at left tackle is a pretty ludicrous statement given our history of rookie OL under the Carroll/Cable regime.
    Here's a list of rookies we've started day 1:
    Carpenter and Moffatt - liability
    Sweezy - liability
    Britt - liability
    Ifedi - liability.

    I think though doth protest too much. I believe Cable thinks he has the best players out there now, although I suspect that Tobin might be better than Rees. I doubt Pocic is better than anyone right now but might be by later on in the year or early next year. Picking Glow over Aboushi was a miss, but to be fair, that was a tight battle and they went with the younger higher ceiling guy.

    Pocic doesn't just play CENTER.
    Fant wasn't a TRUE LT when he was thrown into the fray.
    Britt wasn't Drafted as a Center.
    Funny how we want to talk about an OFFENSIVE Tackle, yet IGNORE one of his most pertinent job on the Line; that duty being?, to do his BEST at protecting our once in a decade Franchise Quarterback.
    Performance is the crux of this conversation?, the tail goes with the hide.


    Not sure what your response has to do with my assertion that rookie O-linemen in the Cable era have been liabilities when started in their first year. Thanks for adding Fant to the list of liabilities although he didn't start day 1. It is magical thinking to believe that Pocic is an upgrade at any position on the OL. Same thinking that leads cancer patients to seek snake oil and experimental therapies over established proven treatments. When desperate people are making decisions they aren't always rational.
    We all want a better OL but sometimes better happens by guys playing together more than by roulette with a bunch of JAGs.
    Mad Dog
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 186
    Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:12 am


  • Mad Dog wrote:>>>>>>>>>>>Britt - liability<<<<<<<<<<<<
    Not sure what your response has to do with my assertion that rookie O-linemen in the Cable era have been liabilities when started in their first year. Thanks for adding Fant to the list of liabilities although he didn't start day 1. It is magical thinking to believe that Pocic is an upgrade at any position on the OL. Same thinking that leads cancer patients to seek snake oil and experimental therapies over established proven treatments. When desperate people are making decisions they aren't always rational.
    We all want a better OL but sometimes better happens by guys playing together more than by roulette with a bunch of JAGs.

    Was it foolish that Cable moved Britt from his DRAFTED POSITION to play at Center?
    You don't know what you don't know, UNTIL YOU TRY.....and as with your "Snake Oil" statement, SOME "Cancer Patients" (Like Our Daughter), exhausted all the traditional "Established Proven Treatments"....If only there were some "Experimental Snake Oil Treatment" for her, maybe she'd still be alive.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6307
    Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:48 pm


  • Seymour wrote:The post (pic) was a direct and applicable response to YOUR POST. If you don't want to hear it, then I suggest you don't make ridiculously obtuse statements about what we have the luxury to afford. It was 100% on that topic that you took it to.


    I thought the pic of Wilson in the grasp of two (seemingly unblocked) Rams pass rushers was 1000% on topic, not to mention timely (Rams game), and funny as hell. It's on topic because that pic shows what we are hoping the contingency plans at tackle can *prevent* us from seeing so much of again. The Rams D-Line and pass rushers have absolutely FEASTED on our O-Line during the Pete Carroll era, including in 2013. (Bowie and Bailey, anyone?)

    I wasn't aware we had lost Joey Hunt; oh well, Pocic is probably a better backup center bet anyway. Oops, back on topic to Left Tackle... I had gathered that Tobin was brought in as a fallback plan for Fant at LT, so if Odhiambo won that competition, props to him. And how about a contingency plan of... Bevell designing a game plan that reduces the exposure of our LT position. If we can make Robert Quinn have to run 10 yards further to get Wilson, that's a win.

    Corner... I don't really understand all the Jeremy Lane hate on here. He's not Kelly Jennings... Lane picked off Tom Brady in the Super Bowl, for Pete's sake! And his thanks was to get his ACL blown out and forearm shattered. If Lane isn't 100% the player he was before those two major injuries, he is at the very least a very serviceable and savvy veteran. You go blow out your ACL and then try covering any of these ankle-breaking WR types the NFL is full of. Good luck with that.

    Corner some more... Shaq Griffin exceeded my expectations. The TD on him was a play I just have to tip my cap to the offensive player on. Fantastic play, well covered, one player was luckier than the other, on that one, it happens sometimes. Super happy we have Justin Coleman, and yes, the Burley comparison is on the mark; to my eyes, Coleman looks like an even better player than Burley. Burley and Lane... two players that kept us from winning Super Bowl 49, by not being on the field. Lane because of injury, and Burley because some fool coach activated Tharald "Toast" Simon and left Burley inactive for the game.
    2017 Adopt-A-Rookie: Chris Carson
    User avatar
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1858
    Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:03 am


  • Seymour wrote:
    Jville wrote:
    scutterhawk wrote:Hmm, seems pretty clear to me what he (Seymour) meant, as with the way Wilson is being mugged, it doesn't appear that there's ANYONE playing "On The Offensive Line"


    ^^^^
    It's not that difficult to discern. There are already countless posts littering the forum whose sole purpose is trashing and demeaning position groups, players and coaches. That is not the subject of this thread.

    The subject / topic of this thread is ....."Pete Carroll has contingency plans at cornerback, left tackle".


    The post (pic) was a direct and applicable response to YOUR POST. If you don't want to hear it, then I suggest you don't make ridiculously obtuse statements about what we have the luxury to afford. It was 100% on that topic that you took it to.


    So much litter in the forum.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 6915
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:49 pm


  • Jville wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    Jville wrote:
    scutterhawk wrote:Hmm, seems pretty clear to me what he (Seymour) meant, as with the way Wilson is being mugged, it doesn't appear that there's ANYONE playing "On The Offensive Line"


    ^^^^
    It's not that difficult to discern. There are already countless posts littering the forum whose sole purpose is trashing and demeaning position groups, players and coaches. That is not the subject of this thread.

    The subject / topic of this thread is ....."Pete Carroll has contingency plans at cornerback, left tackle".


    The post (pic) was a direct and applicable response to YOUR POST. If you don't want to hear it, then I suggest you don't make ridiculously obtuse statements about what we have the luxury to afford. It was 100% on that topic that you took it to.


    So much litter in the forum.

    So if you're not getting the desired response to your original post, it's not up for discussions, and becomes "Litter"?
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6307
    Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:48 pm




It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:31 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information