Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Who won the Max Unger/ Jimmy Graham Trade?

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • Hey guys, local Saints fan here. I respect the Seahawks, and think highly of your team.

The topic was brought up in the Saints board, who won the Saints Seahawks trade of Jimmy Graham and a 4th for Max Unger and a 1st?

I think it is a push. We ended trading the 1st rounder (Stephon Anthony), but Unger has been great. Jimmy has been misused, but you guys traded the 4th rounder for Lockett.

The comment was made "ask any Seahawks fan, and they would ask for that trade back." But I don't see it.

If you want to see the thread here it is. http://saintsreport.com/forums/f2/settl ... dWe2kFOmaM
    El Caliente
    NET Rookie

• If our OC knew how to utilize his biggest mismatch it would be Seattle going away.
    Was never a big fan of Unger and his short snaps, and Seattle rarely picks in the first round usually trading out.

I'd call it a wash?
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• The final verdict is still being written. Jimmy will be making an impact this year. He had some big plays Sunday after a few miscues.
    Siouxhawk
    NET Veteran

• The hell the verdict is still out, he is gone after this year. Saints win. We took it in the rear at center and the oline in general and could not bring in any quality young players to stop the bleeding. Finally got Britt to take over but Graham being the shinny toy that Pete and Bevell cannot use to his best abilities made this a huge mistake. That first prob. wouldn't have helped since we blow those pretty regularly.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• Seymour wrote:The hell the verdict is still out, he is gone after this year. Saints win. We took it in the rear at center and the oline in general and could not bring in any quality young players to stop the bleeding. Finally got Britt to take over but Graham being the shinny toy that Pete and Bevell cannot use to his best abilities made this a huge mistake. That first prob. wouldn't have helped since we blow those pretty regularly.

B.S. he's not being used. That's a worn-out diatribe. He had a handful of big plays Sunday, along with a few miscues. He also delivered a few decent blocks that proved vital. This Saints fellow also attentively added that we used the fourth rounder to draft Lockett. That makes the trade at least a wash at this juncture.
    Siouxhawk
    NET Veteran

• Siouxhawk wrote:
    Seymour wrote:The hell the verdict is still out, he is gone after this year. Saints win. We took it in the rear at center and the oline in general and could not bring in any quality young players to stop the bleeding. Finally got Britt to take over but Graham being the shinny toy that Pete and Bevell cannot use to his best abilities made this a huge mistake. That first prob. wouldn't have helped since we blow those pretty regularly.

B.S. he's not being used. That's a worn-out diatribe. He had a handful of big plays Sunday, along with a few miscues. He also delivered a few decent blocks that proved vital. This Saints fellow also attentively added that we used the fourth rounder to draft Lockett. That makes the trade at least a wash at this juncture.

Not being used properly, at least most of the time. Everyone knows this, even nfl players have said this. At least admit that our coaches aren't freakin gods and may have made a mistake
    cymatica
    NET Veteran

• Siouxhawk wrote:
    Seymour wrote:The hell the verdict is still out, he is gone after this year. Saints win. We took it in the rear at center and the oline in general and could not bring in any quality young players to stop the bleeding. Finally got Britt to take over but Graham being the shinny toy that Pete and Bevell cannot use to his best abilities made this a huge mistake. That first prob. wouldn't have helped since we blow those pretty regularly.

Ya and one of those miscues about got us L tackle #3 this week. Still may. Graham is riding the gravy train out of town, and it shows in his play. He may even get shown the door before then. I liked Jimmy, but he is in the wrong place if he thinks he will get his ego stroked here if he's not pulling his load. Doesn't fit here IMO. Bevell and Russell both ruined the guy, and it didn't take much to be honest.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• Just my opinion but I'd say Saints won. I'd rather have had Max Unger and a 1st round pick than JG the last couple of years. I remember reading an article when MU was on the team regarding the drop off in the run game when he was injured compared to when he started, I don't think it's a coincidence that after we traded him our run game became a huge weakness.

Also the "we got Lockett" argument doesn't hold water, considering what we gave up to get him I can't believe we wouldn't have drafted him at some point anyway.
    el capitan
    NET Veteran

• Seymour wrote:
    Siouxhawk wrote:

Ya and one of those miscues about got us L tackle #3 this week. Still may. Graham is riding the gravy train out of town, and it shows in his play. He may even get shown the door before then. I liked Jimmy, but he is in the wrong place if he thinks he will get his ego stroked here if he's not pulling his load. Doesn't fit here IMO. Bevell and Russell both ruined the guy, and it didn't take much to be honest.

To each their own. I don't believe the myth that he's checked out. The misses leading to the interceptions were awful, sure, but he had a nice catch and run prior to both the McKissic and Willson touchdowns. Now that the line seems to be showing some life, he'll be split wide or go in motion and be featured on some routes. I'm just saying the jury is still out on the trade. I'm not even sure how well Unger is playing to tell you the truth.
    Siouxhawk
    NET Veteran

• Saints, Unger is a good lineman. I dont watch the saints play much but i bet hes still very good and has been holding it down for you guys. Hes improved your o line which i think might be underrated.

Graham has barely produced for us at all except for a select few games. He just doesnt mesh well with wilson and this offense for some reason. So you guys won the trade for sure.
    RussB
    NET Veteran

• It's been impressive how Unger has pushed the Saints all the way to the play offs.
    UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• I was not a fan of the trade at the time and didn't see Graham as a fit in the Seahawks offense, because of his history as a big WR not really a TE. The Hawks needed help after Zach Miller who had been the prototype TE for the hawks was on his way out in 2014 from injuries. He has been an upgrade to the position from what we had at the time in 2014, and his blocking is much improved. I am glade they made the trade and wish Unger all the luck going forward, I think both teams won.
    907Hawk
    NET Rookie

• Well considering out TE corp is hardly making up for our lack of O-line, I think the answer is clear.

We could do what we're doing now with Luke Willson and still have a center and a 1st round pick. Wouldn't that be nice? Probably would have been better for Jimmy too because his time here has damaged his chance at the HoF.

I think everybody lost.
    WindCityHawk
    NET Veteran

• Seymour wrote:The hell the verdict is still out, he is gone after this year. Saints win. We took it in the rear at center and the oline in general and could not bring in any quality young players to stop the bleeding. Finally got Britt to take over but Graham being the shinny toy that Pete and Bevell cannot use to his best abilities made this a huge mistake. That first prob. wouldn't have helped since we blow those pretty regularly.

Agree with this, thankfully can't see Siouxhawk's posts.

Our o line went down the tubes after Max left.
    NFSeahawks628
    NET Veteran

Location: Born: Tacoma, WA Current Location: Tally, Seminole Country (Road Hawk)

• I think we need about 3 more JG threads in addition to this one.
    Milehighhawk
    NET Veteran

• Doesn't matter how great he is(I think he's a great receiving TE) if he's not being used, he's being wasted and it would be hard to justify trading Unger and a 1st for someone that's not being utilized. So, yeah, we lost that one, we lost the Harvin one as well.
    The question really is, is how does losing the top ends of two draft classes affect where we are now. Would we have been better off with Unger at Center, possibly, someone different other than Britt, and 2 more 1st rounders on the team?
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• For the most part, Max has stayed healthy for the Saints and that was not the case for the last couple of years with the Hawks. And also recall that Max was rumored to be a cap casualty for Seattle before we traded him.

The way that I look at is we traded Max for a 4th rounder that we used to trade up and get Lockett... that's a push considering Max's health at the time and the likelihood we were going to cut him anyway.

And we traded our 1st rounder for Graham, who was a better player than we could have drafted with the pick.

And the Saints missing on Anthony and the Hawks mis-using Jimmy... which I call another push.

So, in all, I call it a push.
    Superbowl XLVIII Champions..."Can't keep everyone."
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

• Jimmy Graham had the best year of any TE in Seahawks history last year, but apparently he hasn't done anything here.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    * NET Moderator *

• HawkFan72 wrote:Jimmy Graham had the best year of any TE in Seahawks history last year, but apparently he hasn't done anything here.

Pretty much this.

We have a bad habit of undervaluing players because the team doesn't win the Super Bowl.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• El Caliente wrote:Hey guys, local Saints fan here. I respect the Seahawks, and think highly of your team.

The topic was brought up in the Saints board, who won the Saints Seahawks trade of Jimmy Graham and a 4th for Max Unger and a 1st?

I think it is a push. We ended trading the 1st rounder (Stephon Anthony), but Unger has been great. Jimmy has been misused, but you guys traded the 4th rounder for Lockett.

The comment was made "ask any Seahawks fan, and they would ask for that trade back." But I don't see it.

If you want to see the thread here it is. http://saintsreport.com/forums/f2/settl ... dWe2kFOmaM

Another thing to note on this trade (in our favor)...trading away Unger gave us the opportunity to move Britt to center where he's been stronger than he was at either Tackle or Guard.

I still think we kind of need to play a wait and see on this until both teams have completely used up the capital from this trade, but right now, it was probably a good trade for both teams.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• Trade like all good trades was a push.
    Max has been healthy and a solid centre for the Saints. The first rounder was a bust.
    Graham has been the best receiving TE in team history but not always healthy or great as a blocking TE. The 4th rounder was used in a trade up to allow us to get Lockett but that doesn't make it brilliant use.

Both teams got something they wanted and have seen solid if unspectacular play. At the time people thought we fleeced the Saints but that hasn't worked out that way.
    Mad Dog
    NET Rookie

• Saints clearly won. The only good trade this FO has made so far has been Lynch (let's see how Richardson's trade develops).
    Tired of "fútbol" (soccer) ...
    Joyodongo
    NET Practice Squad

• Most everyone here is just comparing Unger and Graham and forgetting we lost out on a chance at a first rounder (being the 31st pick you could consider it a high second rounder). Also that was 2 years in a row we weren't getting a pick in the first round after the Harvin Debacle. Guys that would have been available were the likes of Landon Collins, Donovan Smith, Malcom Brown, Eric Kendricks among others.

JG caught a lot of balls last year but I only remember one or two money catches. We could have got a lot of those catches with Cooper Helfert.

The Oline has been in taters since Unger left. He has only missed a single start since he was traded.

We all said and knew JG was soft when he was with the Saints. When we traded for him we all back tracked on that. After 3 years we know that it to be true. It worked for the style the Saints play but it doesn't work here. I saw him try and chip a DL-man last week and he basically failed at that.

There is no way in the world that he is resigned. That will be telling enough. Not nearly as bad as the Harvin trade but definitely not a good trade for the Seahawks.

BTW, wish I could block Siouxhawk.
    HawkerD
    NET Starter

• HawkFan72 wrote:Jimmy Graham had the best year of any TE in Seahawks history last year, but apparently he hasn't done anything here.

The only thing that makes any sense at this point is that some people either have no idea what they are talking about and just parrot a false narrative that seems true to them or they have grossly unrealistic expectations and anything that falls short of those expectations = "Hasn't done anything".
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• Is Lockett here without that 4th rounder from the Saints? I don't know. That would factor into my opinion, so it is kind of hard to say.

Does Britt become 'very good center Justin Britt' if Max is still here? probably not. Too many factors, but ifthat trade isn't made we're probably looking at a team with Max Unger but not with Tyler Lockett and a good version of Justin Britt.
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran

• I think Unger was unlikely to have been kept as he had become too expensive for the results he delivered in the 2 years prior to the trade. He was a good C but couldn't stay healthy, much like Okung.

Seattle traded a 1st round pick and Unger for Graham making it a costly trade for Seattle, but acquired Lockett as part of the deal. To date Graham lost the best part of a season to his patellar ligament injury but has not been well incorporated into the team's O as our OC has limitations in figuring how to best take advantage of his size and ability. Unfortunately Graham has proven to be very very expensive for the results delivered but that is a factor of how he's used here.

In the end weighing it up, and it's close, but I'd have to go with NO winning the trade. Graham could still be very special if Bevell would use him differently. Unfortunately Bevell rarely seems to use TEs well.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

• Unger is and always will be injury prone. I liked the trade then and I still like it now. Britt is a stud and much younger. Have the Saints realistically replaced Graham's TE #'s on their roster? No.

Since the trade Hawks record is 22-13-1 w: playoff wins both years along with a division championship.
    Saints are 16-20 (4 games under .500) and haven't even sniffed the playoffs.

You tell me..........
    RCATES
    NET Rookie

True dat. Jimmy's frustrated. Fans are frustrated.

He's probably out of here after this season so it'll be another "what if" kind of thing.

Last game when he was underthrown by Russ for an interception and people were like "why didn't Jimmy jump up and take it?" Really. Guy was lumbering down the lane the opposite direction and he's supposed to come to a full stop turn around and go back to try and jump down at an underthrown ball?

That was Wilson's interception - not Jimmy's.
    semiahmoo
    NET Veteran

• One was on Russ, the other was clearly on Jimmy. Russ had 5 incompletions the entire day.
    I'll allow it :irishdrinkers:
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

1. That's not saying much, considering we've never had an amazing Pro Bowl caliber TE in 40 years. Mike Tice? Jeramy Stevens? Zach Miller? John Carlson? Not exactly a laundry list of HOF'ers there.

2. Expectations. When we traded for Graham, many of us envisioned 1,500 yards and 15 TD's, like he was rolling in New Orleans.

Probably not fair being in this offense, but none the less those were the expectations of a LOT of fans. So yeah Graham's done OK, maybe even above average for a year. But when you're one of the highest paid TE's, and you just got traded for a very good center, the expectations are very high..........and frankly he hasn't lived up to those expectations.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Chapow wrote:
    HawkFan72 wrote:Jimmy Graham had the best year of any TE in Seahawks history last year, but apparently he hasn't done anything here.

The only thing that makes any sense at this point is that some people either have no idea what they are talking about and just parrot a false narrative that seems true to them or they have grossly unrealistic expectations and anything that falls short of those expectations = "Hasn't done anything".

But why is this a surprise we've seen over the last few years because of social media and instant reactions people jumping to conclusions or believing what they want to believe despite facts and data. We've gone from an logical/analytical culture to a emotional/ perception becoming more important than reality.

We see this in both Politics, Sports and pop culture. (A good sports example is the "FAIL MARY" The perception is that GB got completely jobbed. You can't convince the National media that was a legit call.

Everyone seems to overlook you must have 2 feet down to have a proper catch... And Tate completed the requirements for a valid catch before the GB guy.)

I do wish Jimmy was more effective in the redzone, but he's been a good player when healthy. Which is why Max was so expendable, he missed nearly a QUARTER of the games the final 2 years he was here. The 1st requirement for being a good player is you have to be "available".
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran

• I rarely if ever agree with Sioux but here I do to a point but there is still time for this to pay off. I dont think Jimmy has been used effectively by this coaching staff to date which is stopping us from crushing this trade tho he was still very good for us last year and there was a trickle down that came with this trade. Lockett for one, Britt was going to the scrap heap and turned into a legit quality center every bit as good as Unger which would never have happened if Unger was still occupying his role. You can argue that the money for Jimmy could be better utilized on the oline but just the trade on their merits, id still take what we got over what we gave up and if the coaching staff can pull their heads out of their asses and free him up and let one of the other tes handle more blocking duties we can still get a lot more out of him this year. So tbd but edge us still.
    flmmkrz
    NET Veteran

• MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    HawkFan72 wrote:Jimmy Graham had the best year of any TE in Seahawks history last year, but apparently he hasn't done anything here.

Pretty much this.

We have a bad habit of undervaluing players because the team doesn't win the Super Bowl.

For me, impact enters into it. We weren't awful between the 20s before we made this trade, he was brought here specifically to address red zone woes, and to this day it feels like he's under-utilized (I'm not assigning blame, it just hasn't worked out that way).

He could have half the receiving yards he had last year but if the impression was one of a noticeable red-zone impact I think most fans would be thrilled.
    hawk45
    NET Veteran

• Joyodongo wrote:Saints clearly won. The only good trade this FO has made so far has been Lynch (let's see how Richardson's trade develops).

Sorry but I disagree with the "Saints clearly won" narrative. I don't have the time to research but it would be interesting to see how many TE's in the league had 65 receptions, 923 yds, and 6 TDs last year. I'm not saying he was a league leader, but in terms of the Seahawks system and Jimmy putting up those numbers considering it was a down year for Russell Wilson by any measure, I'm calling last year a great success story. And oh by the way, that was a year he was coming off a complete knee blowout when many were just surprised to see him on the field for game 1, let alone taking shots and getting right up. His 2015 numbers were tracking to identically match his 2016 output, for the record. Therefore, I find it hard to believe that 60 something receptions, 900 something yds, and 6 TDs for 2 years running should be categorized as bust/unsuccessful. For perspective he had 15 receptions and over a hundred yards receiving more than Dez.

In fact, after quick research I see him on the 2016 season leaderboard as the #3 TE for yards. How many teams in the league again? 32? and he was #3 in yardage on a team that doesn't feature him to potential and is known to desperately try to establish the run? What is Max Unger now suddenly worth Antonio Brown or something?

Unger developed into a fine lineman and I wouldn't even comment on someone editorializing that the Saints won the trade. But in some sort of knockout, dominating fashion that is clearly not up for debate? Clearly not.
    Optimus25
    NET Veteran

• It's also fit.

Has/Is Jimmy a good "fit" in Seattle? Pete's mantra since day one has been he wants to be a nasty, physical will imposing run first ball control shorten the game type team............on both sides of the ball.

Does Jimmy fit that mold? Nope, not even close. He's a finesse freak athlete that when given the freedom and time can be devastating.

IMO I like these sorts of trades, I always want our GM and coach swinging for the fences with trades and picks. But since day one Jimmy has not been a good fit here. Not all his fault for sure, but none the less I would say this trade has been mediocre at best, and probably more towards the bust side of things when you consider how much Graham's cap hit is.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Don't think it really matters others imo for reasons already stated.

Maybe we didn't win the trade in 2015.

But Graham was valuable in 2016, and setting franchise records, while being really a dominant safety valve for an immobile Russ.

2017 has looked complicated this far Graham. But I doubt that will remain the case.

Seahawks in the first quarter of the season, you can tell there's been a special attention in developing and strengthening the physicality and chemistry in the running game in all parts.

The passing game has been hit or miss, but protection and drops have been an issue early on this season as well as time in general. Opposing offenses are nickle and diming the Seahawks D trying to win T.O.P. So refining has been an issue as leading to timing and execution troubles.

I think that definately irons out moving forward to point where specifically Graham and Wilson are going to get in sync and develop that dominant connection.

Also, most people with Graham only look at the one part , whether or not, he's an elite pass catcher.

They still say he is a bad blocker, even through has developed in that aspect. I think starting to become more solid as a blocker. Not saying he's good but definitely not as bad as people make him seem based on seeing one play where he might get dominated or whiff.

Around the league (not just here), I've seen O-Linemen, bigger and stronger, whose job is solely to block, get dominated and miss assignments too. That's the NFL.

People will say Graham is soft because of few plays. But I've seen this guy make tough, physical catches in traffic and he's constantly having to make difficult plays on the ball where he's being draped, face guarded, and held. And like right now where timing is an issue and the execution of something like exact ball placement, it's going to lead to negative plays.

People look at his production and usage yet at the same time might neglect what he's doing maybe as a decoy. Is he being bracketed and accounted for pulling coverages that might allow other players to have more space. Is he helping to clear the middle of the field, where Wilson can find room to run? Etc.

I'll admit Graham probably isn't the best fit for a team with aspirations to be a tough, physical running game but he's far from worthless in this system. I also feel his skillset is better suited for RBs like McKissic and Prosise than guys like Lynch, Carson, and Lacy. Rawls is more of a tweenner. Where the space JG might open for them in the middle can spark big plays or possibly the threat of the RBs as WRs, might open things up for Graham to find a mismatch.. But it's always going to come down always in execution and protection, if that's not clean, the results won't be positive.

That's why I'm excited, I feel the Seahawks are starting to find thier rhythm in terms of refining, galvanizing, being on the same page, and just really fine tuning what really works and what needs to be worked on and fixing it.

I see an offense that's going to get better and that's going to really open up for Graham, who in my opinion thrives on rhythm in terms of dominating games like a lot of players do.
    WE ALL WE GOT, WE ALL WE NEED!!!!!!!!!!!
    Pandion Haliaetus
    NET Veteran

• I never understood the trade, honestly, given the way the Seahawk's offense seemed to work. I would have rather had a Kyle Brady-type TE. A world-beater as a blocker, and slightly above average as a target.

But the offense has changed some, in a way that should lead to more targets for Graham as this season progresses. We'll see. If he stays healthy I think he will produce about what he did last year. He's had a rough start, though. He definitely misses being in that offense.

Unger has only missed one game since he's been in Nawlins. He missed thirteen in his final two years in Seattle. He was successfully replaced, eventually, after a year of the center position being an open wound.

Push?
    nanomoz
    NET Veteran

• I'm going to give the edge to the Saints. Lets face it, when was the last time the Seahawks had a dominate offense? 2015 when Graham was hurt. Coincidence? I admit that I don't follow the Saints at all, but I never see any NFL programs complaining or showing Drew Brees getting killed all the time due to his offensive line. This is why I give it to the Saints. They need and benefit from Unger. The Seahawks don't need Graham and seem to do better without him.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Rookie

• So far it's looking like a lose/lose trade for both teams!
    "You know why I'm on Seahawks.net!" -Marshawn Lynch

Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions

Pete Carroll & Darrell Bevell be like: "Trust us--we're gonna outsmart them!"
    TheLegendOfBoom
    NET Starter

• It was a bad trade for the Seahawks.

Losing Unger, really hurt our effectiveness with Lynch. And that led to him leaving. I think we could have gotten 1-2 more years with Lynch otherwise and maybe at least 1 SB win, considering how weak the teams in the Carolina Denver SB were.

Graham was almost immediately replaced by other WRs that ended up producing well for the Saints. Basically they just threw it to someone else.

Meanwhile without Unger our run game just sputtered. And while Unger had a problem with the snap occasionally, one thing Russ seemed to do well was deal with the center snapping him the ball and occasionally the ball going in the wrong direction.

If you recall I was pretty livid about the trade, precisely for a lot of the above reasons.

But we cannot go backwards. It was a huge missed opportunity for this team, and it was a sign this team was going to bet on Wilson to be the one that carries this team instead of the defense. That bet, we lost. Wilson can win it for you and he can pull out wins in the end - given the moments. But he cannot carry this team, it wins and loses because of the defense.

And that trade was a big bet that given the right weapons, we could win the back of our QB. Probably something the FO regrets to this day.

We not only lost the trade but we lost the draft pick that would have been a player we could be using right now.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

• We lost. But, I'd rather be rooting for my Seattle Seahawks for the rest of my life and beyond than the Saints.
    Jimmy seems depressed lately. Like he'd rather just be in his airplane.
    Love, Peace & Elbow Grease. Let's ROLL, Hawks!
    hgwellz12
    NET Veteran

• Joyodongo wrote:Saints clearly won. The only good trade this FO has made so far has been Lynch (let's see how Richardson's trade develops).

Youre forgetting Daryl Tapp for Chris Clemons and a pick.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

• XxXdragonXxX wrote:
    Joyodongo wrote:Saints clearly won. The only good trade this FO has made so far has been Lynch (let's see how Richardson's trade develops).

Youre forgetting Daryl Tapp for Chris Clemons and a pick.

You're also forgetting that we traded a 5th round choice to NE for Justin Coleman, and then turned around and traded Cassius Marsh to NE thereby recovering our 5th rounder... AND also getting NE's 5th rounder next year. I'd call that some pretty nifty trading.

And have you seen the three or so bonehead plays that Marsh has made with NE? Thank goodness he's no longer doing those as a Seahawk.

Addition by subtraction comes to mind..
    Superbowl XLVIII Champions..."Can't keep everyone."
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

• Hilarious.

I mean what is the alternative.

The reason the Seahawks probably traded for Graham was because the draft was pretty mediocre after the top 25 or so guys.

I'm willing to bet, even with that first rounder, you're looking at what the Seahawks still taking Frank Clark with that first pick, and Lockett with the 2nd pick. You'd have to fit a TE somewhere I guess.

The top 5 TEs taken in 2015 together probably couldn't hold Jimmy's jockstrap.

If you include JG part of that that TE class, he'd be the only TE to achieve 400 yards in a season.

He had what 600 yards in 11 games in 2015.

923 yards in 2016.

On pace for around 600 yards after 4 games in 2017, probably will end up around 800-900 if I had to guess, with 3-6 TDs.

His 1670 yards, 8 TDs in less than two full seasons of games seems like a goldmine compared to that 2015 class.

Again a class's where no TE has caught more than 400 yards or 3 TDs in a single season.

Perspective goes a long way.

Btw, Unger probably would have been released regardless of the trade. And if he wasnt, doubt he would have been extended, doubt he would have saved the 2015 season.
    Pandion Haliaetus
    NET Veteran

• Us, easily. Jimmy Graham has been a great contributor despite team struggles, and we found a damn good center in Britt. Us. No contest.
    2016/2017 Adopt-A-Rookie: CJ Prosise, Quill Griffin
    2016/2017 Adopt-A-UDFA: Lene Maiava, Jordan Roos
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

• To add to my most recent above post:

Also if Graham can end this season with 730 yards (very capable) and (somehow) 7 TDs. That would put his Seahawks career at 2400 yards and 15 TDs.

800 yards, 5 TDs on a per season average.

What Seahawks starting TE has ever come close to that level of performance and production? For a season let alone 3?

Since 2000.

Fauria. Nope.
    Mili. Nope.
    Stevens. Nope.
    Carlson. Nope.
    Miller. Nope.

Just a funny argument really. Never seen a fan base so blinded by a few faults that they can't see they could do a lot worse.
    Pandion Haliaetus
    NET Veteran

• I think its funny how it all equates to great numbers for the Seahawks but horrible numbers for Graham when talking about Jimmy. Just shows how weak the TE position has been for this franchise throughout the years. The offense performed better when he was hurt. He has zero chance of being here next season.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Rookie

• Pandion Haliaetus wrote:Hilarious.

I mean what is the alternative.

The reason the Seahawks probably traded for Graham was because the draft was pretty mediocre after the top 25 or so guys.

I'm willing to bet, even with that first rounder, you're looking at what the Seahawks still taking Frank Clark with that first pick, and Lockett with the 2nd pick. You'd have to fit a TE somewhere I guess.

The top 5 TEs taken in 2015 together probably couldn't hold Jimmy's jockstrap.

If you include JG part of that that TE class, he'd be the only TE to achieve 400 yards in a season.

He had what 600 yards in 11 games in 2015.

923 yards in 2016.

On pace for around 600 yards after 4 games in 2017, probably will end up around 800-900 if I had to guess, with 3-6 TDs.

His 1670 yards, 8 TDs in less than two full seasons of games seems like a goldmine compared to that 2015 class.

Again a class's where no TE has caught more than 400 yards or 3 TDs in a single season.

Perspective goes a long way.

Btw, Unger probably would have been released regardless of the trade. And if he wasnt, doubt he would have been extended, doubt he would have saved the 2015 season.

Perspective, many people believe this is a four letter word and would rather label a player garbage or a bust. I can only imagine the kinds of comments if the man had actually played poorly.
    907Hawk
    NET Rookie

• just like any forum, your going to get the view from both extremes. I think both teams lost in the trade. It doesn't seem like Unger has made much of an impact with the Saints, and JG hasn't made much of an impact with the Hawks. Don't listen to the posters that seem to think he is an integral part of the Hawks O, they have no clue what that means, especially when he is being paid what he is and ultimately producing what he has. Blame that on our OC , JG or RW, it is what it is and the results do not lie.

The JG experiment with the Hawks cannot be looked at in any other view other than a failure. Considering what was given up for him in players and draft picks, his salary and the cold hard facts / results he has put up since being here. If he never left NO, we all know his stats would have been much better and both teams would have had better records.

This was a lose lose trade. Only benefit was the Saints cut salary cap space.
    irocdave
    NET Veteran

• irocdave wrote:The JG experiment with the Hawks cannot be looked at in any other view other than a failure.

It can be looked at in another way, and regularly is.

We won the trade, easily.
    2016/2017 Adopt-A-Rookie: CJ Prosise, Quill Griffin
    2016/2017 Adopt-A-UDFA: Lene Maiava, Jordan Roos
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:31 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information