Who won the Max Unger/ Jimmy Graham Trade?

El Caliente

Reaction score
Hey guys, local Saints fan here. I respect the Seahawks, and think highly of your team.

The topic was brought up in the Saints board, who won the Saints Seahawks trade of Jimmy Graham and a 4th for Max Unger and a 1st?

I think it is a push. We ended trading the 1st rounder (Stephon Anthony), but Unger has been great. Jimmy has been misused, but you guys traded the 4th rounder for Lockett.

The comment was made "ask any Seahawks fan, and they would ask for that trade back." But I don't see it.

If you want to see the thread here it is. http://saintsreport.com/forums/f2/settl ... dWe2kFOmaM

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
If our OC knew how to utilize his biggest mismatch it would be Seattle going away.
Was never a big fan of Unger and his short snaps, and Seattle rarely picks in the first round usually trading out.

I'd call it a wash?

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
The final verdict is still being written. Jimmy will be making an impact this year. He had some big plays Sunday after a few miscues.

Seymour

Reaction score
The hell the verdict is still out, he is gone after this year. Saints win. We took it in the rear at center and the oline in general and could not bring in any quality young players to stop the bleeding. Finally got Britt to take over but Graham being the shinny toy that Pete and Bevell cannot use to his best abilities made this a huge mistake. That first prob. wouldn't have helped since we blow those pretty regularly.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":234jksed said:
The hell the verdict is still out, he is gone after this year. Saints win. We took it in the rear at center and the oline in general and could not bring in any quality young players to stop the bleeding. Finally got Britt to take over but Graham being the shinny toy that Pete and Bevell cannot use to his best abilities made this a huge mistake. That first prob. wouldn't have helped since we blow those pretty regularly.
B.S. he's not being used. That's a worn-out diatribe. He had a handful of big plays Sunday, along with a few miscues. He also delivered a few decent blocks that proved vital. This Saints fellow also attentively added that we used the fourth rounder to draft Lockett. That makes the trade at least a wash at this juncture.

cymatica

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3qf5xpve said:
Seymour":3qf5xpve said:
B.S. he's not being used. That's a worn-out diatribe. He had a handful of big plays Sunday, along with a few miscues. He also delivered a few decent blocks that proved vital. This Saints fellow also attentively added that we used the fourth rounder to draft Lockett. That makes the trade at least a wash at this juncture.

Not being used properly, at least most of the time. Everyone knows this, even nfl players have said this. At least admit that our coaches aren't freakin gods and may have made a mistake

Seymour

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2ov0d2f7 said:
Seymour":2ov0d2f7 said:

Ya and one of those miscues about got us L tackle #3 this week. Still may. Graham is riding the gravy train out of town, and it shows in his play. He may even get shown the door before then. I liked Jimmy, but he is in the wrong place if he thinks he will get his ego stroked here if he's not pulling his load. Doesn't fit here IMO. Bevell and Russell both ruined the guy, and it didn't take much to be honest.

el capitan

Reaction score
Just my opinion but I'd say Saints won. I'd rather have had Max Unger and a 1st round pick than JG the last couple of years. I remember reading an article when MU was on the team regarding the drop off in the run game when he was injured compared to when he started, I don't think it's a coincidence that after we traded him our run game became a huge weakness.

Also the "we got Lockett" argument doesn't hold water, considering what we gave up to get him I can't believe we wouldn't have drafted him at some point anyway.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":3iaepho1 said:
Siouxhawk":3iaepho1 said:
Seymour":3iaepho1 said:

Ya and one of those miscues about got us L tackle #3 this week. Still may. Graham is riding the gravy train out of town, and it shows in his play. He may even get shown the door before then. I liked Jimmy, but he is in the wrong place if he thinks he will get his ego stroked here if he's not pulling his load. Doesn't fit here IMO. Bevell and Russell both ruined the guy, and it didn't take much to be honest.
To each their own. I don't believe the myth that he's checked out. The misses leading to the interceptions were awful, sure, but he had a nice catch and run prior to both the McKissic and Willson touchdowns. Now that the line seems to be showing some life, he'll be split wide or go in motion and be featured on some routes. I'm just saying the jury is still out on the trade. I'm not even sure how well Unger is playing to tell you the truth.

RussB

Reaction score
Saints, Unger is a good lineman. I dont watch the saints play much but i bet hes still very good and has been holding it down for you guys. Hes improved your o line which i think might be underrated.

Graham has barely produced for us at all except for a select few games. He just doesnt mesh well with wilson and this offense for some reason. So you guys won the trade for sure.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
It's been impressive how Unger has pushed the Saints all the way to the play offs.

907Hawk

Reaction score
I was not a fan of the trade at the time and didn't see Graham as a fit in the Seahawks offense, because of his history as a big WR not really a TE. The Hawks needed help after Zach Miller who had been the prototype TE for the hawks was on his way out in 2014 from injuries. He has been an upgrade to the position from what we had at the time in 2014, and his blocking is much improved. I am glade they made the trade and wish Unger all the luck going forward, I think both teams won.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
Well considering out TE corp is hardly making up for our lack of O-line, I think the answer is clear.

We could do what we're doing now with Luke Willson and still have a center and a 1st round pick. Wouldn't that be nice? Probably would have been better for Jimmy too because his time here has damaged his chance at the HoF.

I think everybody lost.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Seymour":3mijmse3 said:

Agree with this, thankfully can't see Siouxhawk's posts.

Our o line went down the tubes after Max left.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Doesn't matter how great he is(I think he's a great receiving TE) if he's not being used, he's being wasted and it would be hard to justify trading Unger and a 1st for someone that's not being utilized. So, yeah, we lost that one, we lost the Harvin one as well.
The question really is, is how does losing the top ends of two draft classes affect where we are now. Would we have been better off with Unger at Center, possibly, someone different other than Britt, and 2 more 1st rounders on the team?

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
For the most part, Max has stayed healthy for the Saints and that was not the case for the last couple of years with the Hawks. And also recall that Max was rumored to be a cap casualty for Seattle before we traded him.

The way that I look at is we traded Max for a 4th rounder that we used to trade up and get Lockett... that's a push considering Max's health at the time and the likelihood we were going to cut him anyway.

And we traded our 1st rounder for Graham, who was a better player than we could have drafted with the pick.

And the Saints missing on Anthony and the Hawks mis-using Jimmy... which I call another push.

So, in all, I call it a push.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Jimmy Graham had the best year of any TE in Seahawks history last year, but apparently he hasn't done anything here.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
HawkFan72":18hkgfxm said:
Jimmy Graham had the best year of any TE in Seahawks history last year, but apparently he hasn't done anything here.

Pretty much this.

We have a bad habit of undervaluing players because the team doesn't win the Super Bowl.

kidhawk

Reaction score
El Caliente":3i41ezko said:
Hey guys, local Saints fan here. I respect the Seahawks, and think highly of your team.

The topic was brought up in the Saints board, who won the Saints Seahawks trade of Jimmy Graham and a 4th for Max Unger and a 1st?

I think it is a push. We ended trading the 1st rounder (Stephon Anthony), but Unger has been great. Jimmy has been misused, but you guys traded the 4th rounder for Lockett.

The comment was made "ask any Seahawks fan, and they would ask for that trade back." But I don't see it.

If you want to see the thread here it is. http://saintsreport.com/forums/f2/settl ... dWe2kFOmaM

Another thing to note on this trade (in our favor)...trading away Unger gave us the opportunity to move Britt to center where he's been stronger than he was at either Tackle or Guard.

I still think we kind of need to play a wait and see on this until both teams have completely used up the capital from this trade, but right now, it was probably a good trade for both teams.