Anyone like Willson better than graham?

RussB

Reaction score
I just dont think wilson and graham will ever have that chemistry a QB does with his favorite recievers. Luke is fast, has good hands and makes plays. Has had injury problems but when hes on the field he makes big plays, i honestly think hes just a better TE for this team than graham will ever be. Jimmy G has been very unerwhelming to be honest, luke balls out. Very underrated player.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I don't see it as an either/or. We have a pretty good 12 (1 RB 2 TE) personnel package on first down with Willson and Graham partly because they are both threats as bigger receivers, and that threat bolsters the run even when neither is a superior run blocker. The execution hasn't shown up at times this season but the potential is there in longer yardage.

My bigger concern is whether Vannett will continue to develop into a blocker we can use in short yardage situations or whether we'll look at Pocic/Tobin as a 6th OL. A lot of it depends on Lacy as well, but a big part of the identity Pete wants for this team is an offense that can reliably convert short yardage with the running game.

crosfam

Reaction score
I think next season we let Graham sign elsewhere to save money, and I hope we try and resign Willson - a better, cheaper fit for our offense. Willson, Vannett, and a draft pick TE for the roster next season. But I want to win with Jimmy this season.

Osprey

Reaction score
As a TE in this offense, yes. As a receiver, no.

I've seen it thrown around in other threads about using JG purely as a receiver and giving up the ghost on TE. Is his blocking so bad he can't fill the need there either?

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Willson's still a pretty inconsistent blocker. Sometimes he dominates. Also saw him blown up a few times vs. Tennessee.

We might also consider whether Willson is getting more opportunities because Graham draws away coverage.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Willson is clearly the better blocker and Graham the better receiver, and it would be crazy to not have two TE anyway, so I'm not sure it really makes a difference.

As for the comment about him not getting the chemistry that a favorite receiver does, there's a simple reason for that. Graham isn't his favorite receiver. It's painfully obvious that Baldwin has been the #1 target for Wilson since before and after Graham's arrival here. Baldwin hasn't given Wilson any reason to not continue with that line of thinking.

This makes for an interesting off season considering Graham's contract status, but as far as this season goes, I'm glad to have both Graham and Willson

Hawk Finn

Reaction score
Willson is a lunch pail type player. He has improved his technique and is a much better blocker. He won’t necessarily create mismatches in the pass game, but his overall value is as close to Zach Miller as we’ll probably see for a while.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Willson looks really good this year. He's always moved really well and his athleticism stands out even amongst big time athletes, but he seems to have more sand in his pants these days.

Joygazm

Reaction score
The FO Signed Willson to a 1 Year deal - after letting him walk to FA.
Is Willson doing more this year then last year when they let him walk?

Willson is only here next season if Graham is gone because they will need bodies, or if he fails to find any interest on the market and the team wants him back.

Willson does nothing that any average TE in the NFL could not do.

He is for that reason a quality back up on this team, and a starter maybe on 16 teams in the league.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Joygazm":2m2dwdz6 said:

Willson is only here next season if Graham is gone because they will need bodies, or if he fails to find any interest on the market and the team wants him back.

He is for that reason a quality back up on this team, and a starter maybe on 16 teams in the league.

I would argue that he runs considerably faster than the average TE does.

Seymour

Reaction score
kobebryant":2fvdir6j said:
Joygazm":2fvdir6j said:

I would argue that he runs considerably faster than the average TE does.

Exactly.
6'5" 250 4.46 speed and 38" vertical with nice catch radius is what got him here to begin with.

He is NOT your average TE in athleticism.

Chapow

Reaction score
Anyone think there's a GM or coach in the league that would rather have Luke Willson than Jimmy Graham as their #1 TE?

I think Luke is a nice back up, but Jimmy is a vastly superior player.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Willson works harder is seems. But, come on, Graham is one of the best TE in football. Just because he's not being used right in this offense doesn't take away the fact that he's a beast.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
kidhawk":3hmgwx2t said:
Willson is clearly the better blocker and Graham the better receiver, and it would be crazy to not have two TE anyway, so I'm not sure it really makes a difference.

As for the comment about him not getting the chemistry that a favorite receiver does, there's a simple reason for that. Graham isn't his favorite receiver. It's painfully obvious that Baldwin has been the #1 target for Wilson since before and after Graham's arrival here. Baldwin hasn't given Wilson any reason to not continue with that line of thinking.

This makes for an interesting off season considering Graham's contract status, but as far as this season goes, I'm glad to have both Graham and Willson

Correct. Baldwin is awesome. The league still hasn't caught up to how good he is IMO.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No doubt. I would guess Baldwin is top 5 in the league as far as route running goes. And he RARELY has drops. Not saying top 5 WR, but the overall player, he's one of the better WR's in the league.

hawk45

Reaction score
I won't pretend Willson is in Graham's zip code in terms of being a receiving weapon. At the moment while we are paying both of them it's nice to have both.

But if I ask myself who I want back next year on this team that wants to run the ball and needs cap for help on the OL, do I like Willson at 1.8 against the cap more than Graham at 10 ?

I do. I like Willson a lot more factoring the dollars.

KPA

Reaction score
JG doesn’t appear to have his head in games at times. I’d rather use the JG cap money on Linemen that can block. Willson is earning his $$$, JG is not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Seymour

Reaction score
hawk45":2vck8r82 said:
I won't pretend Willson is in Graham's zip code in terms of being a receiving weapon. At the moment while we are paying both of them it's nice to have both.

But if I ask myself who I want back next year on this team that wants to run the ball and needs cap for help on the OL, do I like Willson at 1.8 against the cap more than Graham at 10 ?

I do. I like Willson a lot more factoring the dollars.

Agree.
The title says "Anyone like Willson better than graham?". Not is he better.

Key word being like. I like Willson better for the same reasons. We use that extra money on oline and have the better overall team. We pay Graham $10M to be an elite pass catcher. Then we turn him into his biggest weakness (a blocker) because we have no $$ for oline because we are paying guys like him??? A circular discussion of insanity really.

Why-do-dogs-chase-their-tails.jpg

Latest posts