Big shoutout to Blair Walsh

mistaowen

Reaction score
Hit three long kicks today after struggling hard last week. Even with half time practice kicks.

SeahawksCanuck

Reaction score
He makes me far more nervous than Haush ever did, not sure I'll ever feel that comfortable with him when the game's on the line. But hard to argue with the results so far.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I Love/Hate the guy. I hope he works out, and that he has more confidence than I do. Pete is definitely building him up.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Should change his name to Geico because we saved a bunch of money...switching to Geico.

SeahawksCanuck

Reaction score
ivotuk":1q3ci49t said:
I Love/Hate the guy. I hope he works out, and that he has more confidence than I do. Pete is definitely building him up.
That's my feeling. When he kicked out of bounds I thought (granted not for the first time this season): "well that's the beginning of the end, time to start looking for a new kicker".

Then he was perfect the rest of the game :D

flmmkrz

Reaction score
WmHBonney":1a79lfml said:
Threedee":1a79lfml said:
Of course, there was that stupid kick out-of-bounds incident...

Yep. Inexcusable.

that timing couldn't have been worse either, we had just put points up and it was close to half, we could've walked into the room feeling like okay we weren't great but we're in this but then he did that and i thought for sure it was gonna be points on the board but the defense stepped up. I'm gonna chalk that up to wind or something cause it was blown off the tee just earlier so maybe it wobbled, Idk, but his fgs were on point today. His kickoffs are usually steady so can't say I'm overly worried about that going forward, it's always gonna be the fgs that have me nervous. Overall solid showing tho.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Some more perspective.

Out of the 34 active kickers throughout the 2017 season, only 12 have made 100% of thier FG kicks heading into week 5.

So, consider that about less than 2/3rds of NFL kickers have had "issues" one way or another at some point or another.

Furthermore, we just watched Greg Zuerlain, who until today's game was on top of the NFL leaderboard for FG scoring with 14 out of 14 attempts made, miss pretty much from the same range as Walsh did. They are human.

I understand Walsh shanked a kick-off but imo it seemed at the very last second the ball probably moved in or off the tee just as it did seconds earlier.

Also, didn't both his XP and FG miss hit the upright. If so, he has been near perfect with narrow misses that doesn't seem suggest he has huge accuracy issues or bad mechanics that we should be terrified of compared to the rest of the league.

I mean there are probably 5-8 teams with real issues with kickers costing them games.

If you're in the camp of "It's only a matter of time" with Blair, failing him for a few negative plays amplified by his past, and just tuning out his success. That's kind of a dumb way to detract.

The guy currently is now 10 for 11 with a 91% success rate on FGs. He has yet to kick over 50 yards but his 49 and 48 yarders made today showed he probably has the leg power to hit in that 50-55 yard range.

Just keep Walsh out of that South end zone at the Clink (the direction i think both his misses have come in) until he's more comfortable kicking into that difficult swell. Some of us might remember Hauschka highlighting this topic at some point in the past although some quick searching turned up nothing vital.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Love seeing Walsh shut up the people who are just WAITING to trounce on him. He's missed all of ONE field goal. The same as many of the top kickers in football. Keep doing your thing Blair.