Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Please re-up Sheldon Richardson

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Please re-up Sheldon Richardson
Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:43 am
  • Fade wrote:The Hawks will have around $30M in cap space in the off-season. The only players that will be cut will be the under performing ones (not stars), such as Jeremy Lane, which will free up even more space. If Sheldon Richardson re-signed cap space would not be an issue due to year 1 of contracts having a relatively low cap number compared to yr 2,3,4 etc.

What it will come down to is who will offer the most $$$, and will Seattle be willing to franchise tag him if they feel like they will get out bid before FA starts.

On the open market imo he's as good as gone. Desperate, poorly run teams will throw so much money around the Hawks won't have a chance. PCJS never have used the Franchise tag, but this is a case where it is necessary.

Frank Clark & Sheldon Richardson are the teams foundational pieces on Def going forward. 24 & 26 years old a piece. Combined with Reed, Malik, and Naz, Seattle could be boasting the best young D-Line in all of football.

Clark & Richardson are priority #1a 1b for me once the off-season begins.

TLDR: Franchise tag will be necessary to retain him. The Hawks have the cap space to do so, no one "good" needs to be cut to make room for him.

Definitely looking like he'll be franchised for at least one season. Maybe two. Future looks bright for the DL...hopefully Jordan and M.Smith can add to that...
    massari
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:45 am
  • Especially if Cliff retires, use that $ to get Sheldon signed long term. One hell of an addition to the team.
    And Clark is a beast, so we're in good hands there.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:49 am
  • Cut Mike Bennett, let go Jimmy and Cliff retires. We'll have money to resign SR and Frank. It's obvious that MB has lost a step. Cut our losses sooner and give his reps to a Naz Jones and let him develop.
    FIRE PETE CARROLL!!!!
    Jim Harbaugh to Seattle 2018!
    ludakrishna
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:56 am
  • Cut Bennett? Um......no
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:58 am
  • Sheldon Richardson benefits from what Bennett and others bring to the table. Saying we should get rid of Bennett is a poor representation of what is actually reflected on film. Now if cutting Bennett is influenced by some sort of bias towards him based on off the field stuff fine. But he's a huge member of that D-line.

:vodka: We should be more thankful for our depth rather than looking for who we can cut
    Scorpion05
    NET Starter

Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:05 am
  • I'd be fine with it so long as there are several corresponding cuts of aging defensive players. I want to see the team's spending between offense and defense get closer to 50-50. It will be hard to see some of those guys go but it has to happen
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:13 am
  • I'm all for resigning both Frank and Sheldon, although with the money D-Line guys at getting these days it will impact other areas.

Focussing purely on D-Line here -

(These are cap figures for 2018, not this year)

PS - Sheldon Richardson obviously isn't under contract for 2018 so I am using his 2017 cap hit for this post.

Michael Bennett - $7,237,500
    Cliff Avril - $8,000,000
    Frank Clark - $1,187,527
    Sheldon Richardson - $8,069,000

Let's assume Cliff Avril is done and won't be on the team next year.

I think Frank Clark will take a slight discount to stay in Seattle given he was a risk and the team believed in him.

I can see Frank getting £12-14 million and Sheldon wanting £14-16 million, all of a sudden what were currently paying CA, MB and FC combined accounts for our one DT. The cap is increasing but thats hard to swallow.

Moving forward perhaps after the 2018 season I can see our D-Line looking something like this -

Frank Clark - $12-14 million
    Malik McDowell - Circa $2 million (rookie contract)
    Sheldon Richardson - $14-16 million
    Rookie - $1-2 million

Thats potentially $33 million dollars on 4 D-Line players, whereas we are currently spending roughly $24.5 million.

I can see Sheldon Richardson getting a contract extension mid season (they did work this possibility into the draft remuneration so obviously something they're very seriously considering) although I guess it very much depends on how Malik McDowell is looking.

He could be even better than Sheldon yet under a rookie contract for 4 years or he could be garbage and we go back to having elite edge rushers with no middle pressure.

No easy decision for our front office, although I bet they have a plan...

Imagine if we extend both FC and SR AND Malik McDowell works out? Wow.

Exciting time to be a Seahawks fan, no doubt!
    Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:18 am
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Cut Bennett? Um......no

It is evident that Bennett has lost a step. He is not creating the same havoc this year as in the years past. He has more help on the DL than last year (SR + improved Frank Clark). Yet he is not disrupting the pocket. I am from the Bill Belichick school of thought...cut a player one year too early rather than too late. His decline has begun and it's time we move on. Loyalty will doom our long term success chances
    FIRE PETE CARROLL!!!!
    Jim Harbaugh to Seattle 2018!
    ludakrishna
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:24 am
  • Agree to disagree.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:38 am
  • Cutting Bennett after this season saves $2m. Not worth it. Cutting Lane and Avril, however does save $14m.
    EverydayImRusselin
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:43 am

Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:56 am
  • Popeyejones wrote:...They’re set to have just under 20 million in cap space, but only have 36 players under contract. To just fill out the roster with minimum level contracts will cost about 8 million of that 20 million.

Where are you getting $20M from? I get us just under $31M cap space in 2018, Others have confirmed this as well.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:07 am
  • Seymour wrote:
    Popeyejones wrote:...They’re set to have just under 20 million in cap space, but only have 36 players under contract. To just fill out the roster with minimum level contracts will cost about 8 million of that 20 million.

Where are you getting $20M from? I get us just under $31M cap space in 2018, Others have confirmed this as well.

Correct, no idea where $20M came from, either...
    Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:03 am
  • Seafan wrote:...If it's about $15 mil than it might be possible. Avril, Graham, Lane. Done.

I expect two of those three to be in their last season here. Which, combined with the $8m they're already paying Richardson, leaves plenty of room to give him a new contract.

But...I expect they'll have to franchise him before they can make a new deal.
    SeaChase wrote:One thing I noticed,well in my opinion,is that Wilson isnt a good passer.
    KillerB
    NET Rookie

Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:24 am
  • KillerB wrote:
    Seafan wrote:...If it's about $15 mil than it might be possible. Avril, Graham, Lane. Done.

I expect two of those three to be in their last season here. Which, combined with the $8m they're already paying Richardson, leaves plenty of room to give him a new contract.

But...I expect they'll have to franchise him before they can make a new deal.

The $8 million is off the books next year as it’s a one year rental deal so it’s not just a case of ‘topping up’ his current salary unfortunately.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:31 pm
  • nanomoz wrote:
    509hawk wrote:
    sdog1981 wrote:Who are you going to cut this offseason to make that happen? Avril? Bennett? Kam? I would like to keep him too but it will be at the expense of one of the old dogs.

I would be fine losing one of them to keep Richardson

The Hawks are scheduled to have $25-30 million in cap space. No one needs to be "cut." This whole song and dance is uninformed, and this fact is constantly pointed out, yet people keep on with it. So GD tiring.

With only 36 players signed. Though they'll get 7-10 players from the draft and free agency. Let's be generous and say 10.

Figure ~$10 million for the draft picks, a bit over $1 million for the practice squad and ~$5-$10 million kept during the season to replace injured players. Then they need to re-sign an additional 7 veterans to fill out the 53 man roster.

So they have almost no cash at all for big time extensions without some players getting released to converting some base salary into signing bonuses. Some difficult decisions will need to be made. Jimmy Graham is absolutely a goner, that's an easy decision to make.
    QuickLightning
    NET Rookie

Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:49 pm
  • I have no doubt we'll try our hardest to extend Richardson.

It shouldn't even be hard with Graham, Avril and maybe even Bennett's contract off the books next off season.

If I had to guess NOW? Graham is gone, Avril is gone and Bennett is asked to restructure. More than enough cap space to give Richardson a fat new contract.

Obviously things can change, but you don't let a player like Richardson go. You just don't.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:56 pm
  • I will say this on Richardson. I like what he brings to the D, but if we have to pay $17M to keep him, and given the oline condition still, no way in hell you make that move. Not unless you have a CERTAIN answer to fixing the oline.

Look no further than what Whitworth has done for Goff and the Rams O.

You have to start protecting your investment in Wilson, and we simply are still not in position to do that. Next year could actually be worse once again.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:02 pm
  • Seymour wrote:I will say this on Richardson. I like what he brings to the D, but if we have to pay $17M to keep him, and given the oline condition still, no way in hell you make that move. Not unless you have a CERTAIN answer to fixing the oline.

You have to start protecting your investment in Wilson, and we simply are still not in position to do that. Next year could actually be worse once again.

Well, that's about the range it's gonna take probably, and IMO it's worth it.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/ave ... ve-tackle/

Next to QB and LT, DT is the hardest position to find elite talent at. It's why we reached on McDowell and kept Bennett (probably a year or two longer than we should have, end of extension I mean).

Richardson's a stud, if we have cap space, he's the guy to spend it on. As I said, we're going to have quite a bit of space freed up next off season with guys like Lane, Graham and Avril off the books.

Lots of guys to restructure/extend as well to free up space. Bennett, Kam, Sherm, Thomas, Wagner, KJ, etc.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:03 pm
  • The only fallacy I see with all these numbers is Frank Clark. The Seahawks will keep him on his cheap rookie deal for the full 5 seasons.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:09 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Seymour wrote:I will say this on Richardson. I like what he brings to the D, but if we have to pay $17M to keep him, and given the oline condition still, no way in hell you make that move. Not unless you have a CERTAIN answer to fixing the oline.

Next to QB and LT, DT is the hardest position to find elite talent at. It's why we reached on McDowell and kept Bennett (probably a year or two longer than we should have, end of extension I mean).

Richardson's a stud, if we have cap space, he's the guy to spend it on. As I said, we're going to have quite a bit of space freed up next off season with guys like Lane, Graham and Avril off the books.

Lots of guys to restructure/extend as well to free up space. Bennett, Kam, Sherm, Thomas, Wagner, KJ, etc.

He's not nearly 2x of what Bennett is and Bennett plays both. Paying Richardson that kind of $$ with Bennett still here would start a shitstorm of whinning from Bennett and his "money problems".

Richardson is very good but not top 3, we have to come closer to balancing the O and D spending or you may as well just cave in completely on offense and get rid of Wilson and bring in a real game manager at 10-12M $$.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:20 pm
  • sdog1981 wrote:The only fallacy I see with all these numbers is Frank Clark. The Seahawks will keep him on his cheap rookie deal for the full 5 seasons.

He doesn't have 5 seasons first of all. 2nd it is much cheaper to extend with 1 yr left vs letting a player hit Free Agency. If Frank Clark keeps doing what he is doing (double digit sacks 3 straight seasons) 26 yrs old on the open market in 2019 that = $20M APY. Seattle could get it done this off-season for around $15-16M APY, much cheaper.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:22 pm
  • WestcoastSteve wrote:
    Mistashoesta wrote:I like what I see from Richardson and I know his history, but I need to see more. Right now, I still keep a healthy Bennett and Avril over him. If by seasons end though Richardson has kept up his level of play at his current level? I let one of the old dogs walk.

Too much sentiment. Bennett is still good but he's not the same player he used to be.

The patriots keep a consistently solid defense by not keeping old players too long..

Urban legend. They win because of Brady and Belichick. The Patriots' defense has varied wildly in quality from year to year, and in fact it's pretty bad this year.

I'd say Avril and Bennett are the closest to candidates for jettisoning, but like Mistashoesta mentioned above, I'd need to see them decline further first. Nobody on an actual NFL offense anywhere on our schedule is counting either of these guys out just yet. Their production goes beyond just sacks. Clark's emergence certainly makes me feel good about the D-line's future, Reed has been a solid replacement for Mebane, and Richardson and Naz are a great hedge for Malik, but we can't make any judgments yet. If those four are all that's on the D-line, I kinda suspect it takes a downturn in the long term.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:29 pm
  • I wouldn't bail on Bennett, or Avril until after the 2018 season, there is no need to. The Seahawks are fine cap wise, there are much worse players on the roster you can cut if it comes to that. You can never have enough pass rush.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:38 pm
  • original poster wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    Popeyejones wrote:...They’re set to have just under 20 million in cap space, but only have 36 players under contract. To just fill out the roster with minimum level contracts will cost about 8 million of that 20 million.

People say 25-30 because they’re projecting a 5-10 million cap increase.

20 is without a projected cap increase — why I said the extra millions to give Richardson 12 or 13 in year 1 plus another few million dispersed across the minimum contracts to get the roster from 36 to 52 (for cap purposes). Sorry, looking back I was being super unclear.

As for folks projecting another 10 million increase on the cap, I’m a little more circumspect on that. People have short memories, and forget that before this recent round of cap increases in which the cap has gone up by about 10 million per year over the last three years, for the four years before that it was flat and they were even stealing from the pension fund to keep it from going down. I don’t know if it happens this year or next year, but I think we’re on the cusp of another flat cap era.

FWIW I think on next years cap I think the Hawks will have closer to 25 million than 30 million, but even those five million are chickens I wouldn’t start counting yet.

In any case, if you want to do the math project the salary cap figure you want to project and then subtract:

4 million or so for year one draft picks. That gets the roster up to 43.

+

4.5 to 9 million for nine minimum level contracts to get the roster up to 52 (there’s a wide spread because minimum contracts are based on years in the NFL)

+

2 million in reserves that every team likes to keep for injuries during the season.

+

11-14 million in year 1 of a deal for Richardson (I just can’t imagine him taking less or less in year one than Malik Jackson got from the Jags two years ago).

On the low end of those projections that’s 22.5 million to keep Richardson and fill out the roster with rookies and vet minimums, and on the high end it’s 29 million.

I think it’s doable, but I think cutting Avril is more likely (only 500k on dead cap).
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:54 pm
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    WestcoastSteve wrote:
    Mistashoesta wrote:I like what I see from Richardson and I know his history, but I need to see more. Right now, I still keep a healthy Bennett and Avril over him. If by seasons end though Richardson has kept up his level of play at his current level? I let one of the old dogs walk.

Too much sentiment. Bennett is still good but he's not the same player he used to be.

The patriots keep a consistently solid defense by not keeping old players too long..

Urban legend. They win because of Brady and Belichick. The Patriots' defense has varied wildly in quality from year to year, and in fact it's pretty bad this year.

I'd say Avril and Bennett are the closest to candidates for jettisoning, but like Mistashoesta mentioned above, I'd need to see them decline further first. Nobody on an actual NFL offense anywhere on our schedule is counting either of these guys out just yet. Their production goes beyond just sacks. Clark's emergence certainly makes me feel good about the D-line's future, Reed has been a solid replacement for Mebane, and Richardson and Naz are a great hedge for Malik, but we can't make any judgments yet. If those four are all that's on the D-line, I kinda suspect it takes a downturn in the long term.

Not to mention they've been keeping their assistants for a relatively long time given their success.
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:13 pm
  • Popeyejones wrote:
    original poster wrote:
    Seymour wrote:

People say 25-30 because they’re projecting a 5-10 million cap increase.

20 is without a projected cap increase — why I said the extra millions to give Richardson 12 or 13 in year 1 plus another few million dispersed across the minimum contracts to get the roster from 36 to 52 (for cap purposes). Sorry, looking back I was being super unclear.

As for folks projecting another 10 million increase on the cap, I’m a little more circumspect on that. People have short memories, and forget that before this recent round of cap increases in which the cap has gone up by about 10 million per year over the last three years, for the four years before that it was flat and they were even stealing from the pension fund to keep it from going down. I don’t know if it happens this year or next year, but I think we’re on the cusp of another flat cap era.

FWIW I think on next years cap I think the Hawks will have closer to 25 million than 30 million, but even those five million are chickens I wouldn’t start counting yet.

In any case, if you want to do the math project the salary cap figure you want to project and then subtract:

4 million or so for year one draft picks. That gets the roster up to 43.

+

4.5 to 9 million for nine minimum level contracts to get the roster up to 52 (there’s a wide spread because minimum contracts are based on years in the NFL)

+

2 million in reserves that every team likes to keep for injuries during the season.

+

11-14 million in year 1 of a deal for Richardson (I just can’t imagine him taking less or less in year one than Malik Jackson got from the Jags two years ago).

On the low end of those projections that’s 22.5 million to keep Richardson and fill out the roster with rookies and vet minimums, and on the high end it’s 29 million.

I think it’s doable, but I think cutting Avril is more likely (only 500k on dead cap).

Not sure where you get your numbers at. This years draft class costs over $11 million in cap hit and the Seahawks didn't even take a 1st round pick!
    QuickLightning
    NET Rookie

Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm
  • nanomoz wrote:
    509hawk wrote:
    sdog1981 wrote:Who are you going to cut this offseason to make that happen? Avril? Bennett? Kam? I would like to keep him too but it will be at the expense of one of the old dogs.

The Hawks are scheduled to have $25-30 million in cap space. No one needs to be "cut." This whole song and dance is uninformed, and this fact is constantly pointed out, yet people keep on with it. So GD tiring.

Need money to keep upcoming FA's AND to upgrade the O line. What is so tiring about figuring out where that money comes from? If the cap is bumped up, it is for all teams. More than half the teams in the NFL need O line help. Again, why is it hard to understand early speculation as to improving the money under the cap next year. You must be content with this years O line?
    irocdave
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:50 am
  • QuickLightning wrote:Not sure where you get your numbers at. This years draft class costs over $11 million in cap hit and the Seahawks didn't even take a 1st round pick!

After all the swapping they ended up back at seven draft picks, yeah? If not add on an additional 550K or so for each later round draft pick over 7 total.

In any case, assuming they're picking late in the first round (which I'm assuming), assume 1.5-1.75 million for the first rounder, 800K or so for the 2nd rounder, 655 for the 3rd rounder, 600 for the 4th, and 550 for 5-7.

Adding that up you're right, my projection is low. If they have 7 draft picks on first year cap hits that should cost in the 5 - 5.5 million range, not 4 million.

Good call.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:24 am
  • Seymour wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Seymour wrote:I will say this on Richardson. I like what he brings to the D, but if we have to pay $17M to keep him, and given the oline condition still, no way in hell you make that move. Not unless you have a CERTAIN answer to fixing the oline.

He's not nearly 2x of what Bennett is and Bennett plays both. Paying Richardson that kind of $$ with Bennett still here would start a shitstorm of whinning from Bennett and his "money problems".

Richardson is very good but not top 3, we have to come closer to balancing the O and D spending or you may as well just cave in completely on offense and get rid of Wilson and bring in a real game manager at 10-12M $$.

You know how this works, Richardson is what someone is willing to pay him. No one thought Suh was worth 19M, but the Dolphins were idiots and paid him that.

I agree, he's not top 3-4, but he's certainly in the next rung down........and those guys are in the 13-15M a year range. Which IMO is about what it'll take to keep him.

My point is with Bennett long in the tooth and Avril looking like he's done, we HAVE to figure out a way to keep Richardson. Even if that means overpaying him a little. He's just too valuable to lose to free agency.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:13 am
  • Fade wrote:On the open market imo he's as good as gone. Desperate, poorly run teams will throw so much money around the Hawks won't have

He already had the desperate, poorly run team experience, and he was so unhappy with it that he became a "locker room cancer." He put on a good face in public, and said all the right things about wanting to stay with the organization, but his antics would suggest he wanted out.

I do believe he was genuine when he said he wouldn't go full Durant and chase a ring. At the same time, I doubt he would be willing to do the exact opposite and chase the money. He is now on a contending team who needs him and acquired him in the "right way." While he is absolutely going to demand a high salary, I don't see him accepting it from another dysfunctional organization if the Seahawks offer something that is in the ballpark.

The teams we would be competing against are other contenders, and they have their own salary cap issues
    Fire Tom Cable
    bigskydoc
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:48 am
  • I'm all for waiting until the end of the season when we can evaluate the entirety of his contribution to our success.
    Proud Member of the .Net Old Farts Society
    Bigpumpkin
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:51 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:You know how this works, Richardson is what someone is willing to pay him. No one thought Suh was worth 19M, but the Dolphins were idiots and paid him that.

I agree, he's not top 3-4, but he's certainly in the next rung down........and those guys are in the 13-15M a year range. Which IMO is about what it'll take to keep him.

My point is with Bennett long in the tooth and Avril looking like he's done, we HAVE to figure out a way to keep Richardson. Even if that means overpaying him a little. He's just too valuable to lose to free agency.

$12-14m is about where I draw the line. I was addressing the $17M claim that said to do it. And that is after the oline is taken care of only IMO, otherwise we will just piss another season away locking the defense on the field.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:38 am
  • irocdave wrote:
    nanomoz wrote:
    509hawk wrote:

Need money to keep upcoming FA's AND to upgrade the O line. What is so tiring about figuring out where that money comes from? If the cap is bumped up, it is for all teams. More than half the teams in the NFL need O line help. Again, why is it hard to understand early speculation as to improving the money under the cap next year. You must be content with this years O line?

Completely agree. The only thing I'm sick of hearing is that the "cap is going up". The cap going up does not give us free money to work with. As you alluded to, every team in the league is getting that money. All that does it drives up the price every player signing a new contract or signing an extension. The amount of wiggle room it provides is exaggerated.
    JimmyG
    NET Rookie

Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:33 pm
  • 509hawk wrote:

Bennett and Avril are old. Might be time to move them on.
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *

Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:55 pm
  • I'd rather have the Seahawks spend more $ to keep Sheldon Richardson than save the money there and spend it on more Joeckel type of players for OL. There's enormous amount of proof they invest in the wrong players on the OL. Might as well keep the top 5 DL player they have. I trust the FO for a lot of things, just not when it comes to the OL.
    Last edited by hawkfan68 on Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:53 pm
  • I'd be fine with us doing what the Patriots like to do - get rid of a quality player when they're on the verge of losing effectiveness due to age. Rip off some other team, lol...like they did with us for Branch.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:01 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:I'd be fine with us doing what the Patriots like to do - get rid of a quality player when they're on the verge of losing effectiveness due to age. Rip off some other team, lol...like they did with us for Branch.

Better to trade a player a year early rather than a year late. Richardson will be 27 this November and will be just in line for the most productive years of his career.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:16 am
  • Bigpumpkin wrote:I'm all for waiting until the end of the season when we can evaluate the entirety of his contribution to our success.

Let him drive his price up?.....Yeah, okay.
    Some team will be willing to outbid us if they think he is the missing piece to their Defense.
    I'm thinking sooner rather than later, that Bennett's Planter Fascia problems, & Cliff Avril's neck injury on our screen, we have to either shit, or get off the pot on getting Sheldon Richardson inked, and by inked, I don't mean getting him a tattoo.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:51 am
  • Just for numbers sake, here are the top DT's in the league salarywise.

4-3 DT
    Suh $19.1m
    Cox - $17.1m
    Short - $16.1M
    Dareus - $15.9m
    Jackson - $14.2m
    EverydayImRusselin
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:57 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:I'd be fine with us doing what the Patriots like to do - get rid of a quality player when they're on the verge of losing effectiveness due to age. Rip off some other team, lol...like they did with us for Branch.

The Patriots' defense is terrible. They win because of Brady and Belichick.
    GO HAWKS!!!

MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:05 pm
  • I like the sentiment in this thread but it's way too early for specifics. Uncertain variables such as player performance, player health, team success, the 2018 cap number, scheme adjustments, personnel changes on other teams, and draft class analysis among others may change significantly over the remainder of the season.

If our luck is average we will have 5 more players sent to IR this season. We'll also learn a lot more about McDowell's prospects in 2018 or lack thereof. If it's negative we may try again with somebody like Wilkins from Clemson or I bet many around here will be interested in Vita Vea. How much we decide to spend on defense will also have a lot to do with how the offense finishes up this year. If we end the season without being able to run the ball I'd expect some major changes over the off-season probably starting with the RB group.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:51 pm
  • Richardson is going to command a Sun like deal and there are teams like the Browns who have a boatload of cap space to spend so I’m pretty sure Richardson will go to the highest bidder. I’m not sold on Richardson. He is in a contract year so he is starting to show up. Give him a fat contract and with his questionable past he could be the biggest gamble out there. I think the Seahawks could use that cap space more effectively. Sheldon Richardson has character issues and you cannot anchor a team to someone so unreliable. There are too many holes to fill.
    Cc5674
    NET Practice Squad

Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:38 pm
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:I'd be fine with us doing what the Patriots like to do - get rid of a quality player when they're on the verge of losing effectiveness due to age. Rip off some other team, lol...like they did with us for Branch.

I didn't say anything about their defense. I was referring to the fact that nearly every year we see them fleece some other team into way overpaying for someone who then goes elsewhere and declines in performance.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:31 am
  • Cc5674 wrote:Richardson is going to command a Sun like deal and there are teams like the Browns who have a boatload of cap space to spend so I’m pretty sure Richardson will go to the highest bidder. I’m not sold on Richardson. He is in a contract year so he is starting to show up. Give him a fat contract and with his questionable past he could be the biggest gamble out there. I think the Seahawks could use that cap space more effectively. Sheldon Richardson has character issues and you cannot anchor a team to someone so unreliable. There are too many holes to fill.

Um so much wrong here, first you need to see how he was used, second he may go to the highest bidder granted or maybe where he thinks he is respected and feels like part of the family for a bit less with a chance to win, he has been on a losing team and probably appreciates the different environment. He has done everything asked and more, he is getting attention freeing up others to make plays, not to mention he is making plays on his own, fumble recovery and a interception in the same game speaks for itself.

As far as a questionable past, other then his issue with Marshall it's pretty much a non issue, he has been such a problem here that the locker room appears to love him as well as the rest of the defense. I also expect him to be resigned, 2nd rounder and Kearse isn't something you give to a one and done player.

When has he been unreliable ? Guy has played lights out since he has been in the league, even when asked to play out of position he still held his own. You don't get rid of guys that can push the pocket, pass rush, play multiple positions, run stop and eat up blockers for others to make plays.

I will take all the unreliable players I can get if they play like this guy does and is the cancer he is in our locker room.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:06 am
  • I'm really wondering what Richardson's market is going to be. He's a beast but he doesn't get sacks. 18 sacks over 4 years with the jets (And 0 through 5 games this year). He's not really a pass rusher and sacks get $$$, just ask Bruce Irvin.

Below are the top paid DTs in the league and their APY. If I were comparing his stats and abilities relative to this list, I'd slot SR in the 5-8 range meaning he's probably going to pull 14-16m/year. For reference, Cliff's cap hit this year is $5.5m and Bennett's is just under $11m. So SR would cost us the same as both of these guys. And yet, I think we have to. We can't let our defense age out and these are the hard decisions we'll have to make.

Ndamukong Suh $19,062,500
    Muhammad Wilkerson $17,200,000
    Fletcher Cox $17,100,000
    J.J. Watt $16,666,667
    Kawann Short $16,100,000
    Marcell Dareus $15,850,000
    Jurrell Casey $15,100,000
    Malik Jackson $14,250,000
    Gerald McCoy $13,600,000
    Linval Joseph $12,500,000
    Akiem Hicks $12,000,000
    jdemps
    NET Veteran

Location: SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of Hawk homerism

Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:20 am
  • jdemps wrote:I'm really wondering what Richardson's market is going to be. He's a beast but he doesn't get sacks. 18 sacks over 4 years with the jets (And 0 through 5 games this year). He's not really a pass rusher and sacks get $$$, just ask Bruce Irvin.

Below are the top paid DTs in the league and their APY. If I were comparing his stats and abilities relative to this list, I'd slot SR in the 5-8 range meaning he's probably going to pull 14-16m/year. For reference, Cliff's cap hit this year is $5.5m and Bennett's is just under $11m. So SR would cost us the same as both of these guys. And yet, I think we have to. We can't let our defense age out and these are the hard decisions we'll have to make.

Ndamukong Suh $19,062,500
    Muhammad Wilkerson $17,200,000
    Fletcher Cox $17,100,000
    J.J. Watt $16,666,667
    Kawann Short $16,100,000
    Marcell Dareus $15,850,000
    Jurrell Casey $15,100,000
    Malik Jackson $14,250,000
    Gerald McCoy $13,600,000
    Linval Joseph $12,500,000
    Akiem Hicks $12,000,000

Rich may not get sacks, but he does get push in the middle and helps collapse the pocket. Plus his runs stuffing ability is first rate. He really does fit into our normal game plan. With how the salary relates to cap hit, especially in the first couple of years under a contract, you'd think Schneider will find a way.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:28 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:I'd be fine with us doing what the Patriots like to do - get rid of a quality player when they're on the verge of losing effectiveness due to age. Rip off some other team, lol...like they did with us for Branch.

I didn't say anything about their defense.

But I did. The deteriments tthe Patriots' defense sees from letting players go, should be factored into the discussion.
    GO HAWKS!!!

MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:31 am
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:

I didn't say anything about their defense.

But I did. The deteriments tthe Patriots' defense sees from letting players go, should be factored into the discussion.

The Patriots have won 5 SB's in the past 15 years, what detriments or poor philosophical decision making in regards to trading away players in their prime are we being negative about again?
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:02 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:
    Cc5674 wrote:Richardson is going to command a Sun like deal and there are teams like the Browns who have a boatload of cap space to spend so I’m pretty sure Richardson will go to the highest bidder. I’m not sold on Richardson. He is in a contract year so he is starting to show up. Give him a fat contract and with his questionable past he could be the biggest gamble out there. I think the Seahawks could use that cap space more effectively. Sheldon Richardson has character issues and you cannot anchor a team to someone so unreliable. There are too many holes to fill.

Um so much wrong here, first you need to see how he was used, second he may go to the highest bidder granted or maybe where he thinks he is respected and feels like part of the family for a bit less with a chance to win, he has been on a losing team and probably appreciates the different environment. He has done everything asked and more, he is getting attention freeing up others to make plays, not to mention he is making plays on his own, fumble recovery and a interception in the same game speaks for itself.

As far as a questionable past, other then his issue with Marshall it's pretty much a non issue, he has been such a problem here that the locker room appears to love him as well as the rest of the defense. I also expect him to be resigned, 2nd rounder and Kearse isn't something you give to a one and done player.

When has he been unreliable ? Guy has played lights out since he has been in the league, even when asked to play out of position he still held his own. You don't get rid of guys that can push the pocket, pass rush, play multiple positions, run stop and eat up blockers for others to make plays.

I will take all the unreliable players I can get if they play like this guy does and is the cancer he is in our locker room.

I respectfully disagree. Sheldon Richardson has too many skeletons in his closet to invest a large sum of cap space into. His HC in NewYork was one of the most respected defensive coordinators in the league and he let him go for pretty much nothing. Defensive coaches just don’t do that to young talented players unless there’s something wrong. Sheldon is showing up in a contract year but he was a ghost in NY last season. Remember it’s going to take a lot of money to have him sign for that second contract. Seahawks would be better served letting someone else make that mistake. You are dead wrong about Sheldon because he is a cancer. A cancer that will spread once he gets paid! You need to stop trying to sound like you know what you’re saying and do your homework. Your point is all based on your speculation of how Sheldon Richardson will play once he gets a big payday. I think Todd Bowles knew the answer to that question before the season started.
    Cc5674
    NET Practice Squad

PreviousNext

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:43 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information