Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Please re-up Sheldon Richardson

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Please re-up Sheldon Richardson
Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:17 pm
  • Man is a beast!
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

http://ivotuk.com/
    ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

Re: Please re-up Sheldon Richardson
Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:20 pm
  • co-signed. Richardson and Clark are the future, and I'm looking forward to those two.
    hawk45
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:26 pm
  • Who are you going to cut this offseason to make that happen? Avril? Bennett? Kam? I would like to keep him too but it will be at the expense of one of the old dogs.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:27 pm
  • Avril might be done anyway.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:28 pm
  • sdog1981 wrote:Who are you going to cut this offseason to make that happen? Avril? Bennett? Kam? I would like to keep him too but it will be at the expense of one of the old dogs.

I would be fine losing one of them to keep Richardson
    509hawk
    NET Rookie

• sdog1981 wrote:Who are you going to cut this offseason to make that happen? Avril? Bennett? Kam? I would like to keep him too but it will be at the expense of one of the old dogs.

Avril or Bennett, given their age. It's a tough call but the right one.
    hawk45
    NET Veteran

And why not? You said it, "old dogs." I love Avril, but that neck injury might be an issue.

ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:29 pm
  • Russell Wilson, then we can have Richardson and pay for a decent line again for a few years. We can draft a new 3rd round QB. :)

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:31 pm
  • I could definitely see Jimmy Graham being let go to sign Sheldon Richardson
    Polk738
    NET Rookie

Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:34 pm

It's pretty straight forward on this one, you FIND A WAY to keep guys like this, Push come to shove, there are OTHER players that you can do without.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:36 pm

I'd drop Bennett and kam for Richardson.
    NJlargent
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:43 pm
  • The fact that Richardson is young makes this pretty easy to me. If Bennett and Avril were younger, much tougher.
    hawk45
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:54 pm
  • We most definitely should. I'm gonna go out on a limb, considering the small sample, but I think this guy is the best DL that PC and JS have gotten so far.

I may have to take a step back though because the move Clark put on Whitworth that caused the fumble was unbelievable. There are only a select few football players that can put the combination of speed, strength and quickness Clark did there.
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:54 pm
  • 509hawk wrote:
    sdog1981 wrote:Who are you going to cut this offseason to make that happen? Avril? Bennett? Kam? I would like to keep him too but it will be at the expense of one of the old dogs.

The Hawks are scheduled to have $25-30 million in cap space. No one needs to be "cut." This whole song and dance is uninformed, and this fact is constantly pointed out, yet people keep on with it. So GD tiring.
    nanomoz
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:55 pm
  • Polk738 wrote:I could definitely see Jimmy Graham being let go to sign Sheldon Richardson

I thought today proved why that's a bad idea. If Jimmy starts getting hot with Russ in the red zone, we're looking pretty deadly.
    Optimus25
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:58 pm
  • hawk45 wrote:co-signed. Richardson and Clark are the future, and I'm looking forward to those two.

Agree. Love Avril, but healthy or not, Clark is playing better than Avril at this point IMO.

We have Lacy, Joeckel, Graham, Richardson and a few others possibly gone next year. We have the money, it's just a matter of who of those we keep and how much$$ to keep them.
    Last edited by Seymour on Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:05 pm
  • I would love for the Hawks to find a way to keep him. He is a rare talent that the Hawks have been looking for for a long time.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    * NET Moderator *

Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:13 pm
  • In the event that Avril hangs them up, couple his salary with Graham's and Lane's if they decide to cut him and were looking north of $20mil available.

With that being said, I really hope that he recovers well and is atleast able to play out his deal.
    "Practice without improvement is meaningless" - Chuck Knox
    Hawk_Nation
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:14 pm
  • nanomoz wrote:
    509hawk wrote:
    sdog1981 wrote:Who are you going to cut this offseason to make that happen? Avril? Bennett? Kam? I would like to keep him too but it will be at the expense of one of the old dogs.

The Hawks are scheduled to have $25-30 million in cap space. No one needs to be "cut." This whole song and dance is uninformed, and this fact is constantly pointed out, yet people keep on with it. So GD tiring.

Thank you fur pointing that out. I didn't realize this. So much the better.

ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:25 pm
  • That's now, we historically re negotiate contracts a year ahead of time, who do we try to re sign to an extension before the end of the season this year?

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:30 pm
  • HawkFan72 wrote:I would love for the Hawks to find a way to keep him. He is a rare talent that the Hawks have been looking for for a long time.

:ditto: x3
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:47 pm
  • nanomoz wrote:
    509hawk wrote:

The real issue is Clark will want a new deal and both he and Richardson are going to command $15m/yr+. So if we sign both guys we are looking at $55-70m tied up in Wilson and those 2 guys. I think it is going to be a hugw shock if we sign both. We do have a lot of cap space but we also have a lot of guys who are FA aftwr this season. It will be interesting that's for sure.
    EverydayImRusselin
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:39 pm
  • Clark is signed through 2018. I don't want to make that a problem before it actually is one. By then, a few high contracts could be off the books; plus, the cap is still scheduled to increase at that point.

Sheldon will probably command $12-17 million per year, yes. No argument there. If they want to re-sign both Sheldon and Jimmy Graham, 2018 will get a little more tricky. But I don't see Graham re-signing, honestly.

Joeckel is improving enough that he could be a higher priority re-signing than anticipated. Ditto Paul Richardson if he stays healthy. But signing both would probably be cheaper than re-signing Graham.
    nanomoz
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:44 pm
  • nanomoz wrote:Clark is signed through 2018. I don't want to make that a problem before it actually is one. By then, a few high contracts could be off the books; plus, the cap is still scheduled to increase at that point.

Sheldon will probably command $12-17 million per year, yes. No argument there. If they want to re-sign both Sheldon and Jimmy Graham, 2018 will get a little more tricky. But I don't see Graham re-signing, honestly.

Joeckel is improving enough that he could be a higher priority re-signing than anticipated. Ditto Paul Richardson if he stays healthy. But signing both would probably be cheaper than re-signing Graham.

They have a history of extending guys with a year left on their rookie deal. You run the risk of Clark holding out if you don't continue the trend. Also, if Richardson continues to play like he has, no way he signs for less than $17m per.
    EverydayImRusselin
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:52 pm

As it should be.
    evergreen
    NET Starter

Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:55 pm
  • We will take DE first overall, Sheldon, Malik, Clark.

Sheldon has great hands. The run backs were awesome.
    Shaq Griffin: 2017 Adopt a Rookie (injury substitution)
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:02 pm
  • Dudes a brick wall and gets pressure up the middle. I remember on one play gurley ran right into him and it looked like he ran into a wall lmao
    RussB
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:09 pm
  • EverydayImRusselin wrote:
    nanomoz wrote:Clark is signed through 2018. I don't want to make that a problem before it actually is one. By then, a few high contracts could be off the books; plus, the cap is still scheduled to increase at that point.

They have a history of extending guys with a year left on their rookie deal. You run the risk of Clark holding out if you don't continue the trend. Also, if Richardson continues to play like he has, no way he signs for less than $17m per.

They have a history of extending before a contract expires, that doesn't preclude leaving the last year of a contract in place--as has often been the case.
    nanomoz
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:59 pm
  • nanomoz wrote:
    EverydayImRusselin wrote:
    nanomoz wrote:Clark is signed through 2018. I don't want to make that a problem before it actually is one. By then, a few high contracts could be off the books; plus, the cap is still scheduled to increase at that point.

They have a history of extending before a contract expires, that doesn't preclude leaving the last year of a contract in place--as has often been the case.

I don't see it. Guys that are studs get new deals a year eaely. Russ, Sherman, Kam, Bennett, Britt. JS is a magician so I'm sure he will figure it out but I don't currently see how.
    EverydayImRusselin
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:19 pm
  • Resigning could be a problem if he shoots for the moon. If it's about $15 mil than it might be possible. Avril, Graham, Lane. Done.
    Thomas Paine: To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:26 pm
  • He certainly had a nose for the ball today. He rose to the challenge.
    Siouxhawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:31 pm
  • Took him a couple of weeks to get up to speed with his new pals, but definitely. Like was said earlier in the thread, he's the kind of player you don't let walk away.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:33 pm
  • I like what I see from Richardson and I know his history, but I need to see more. Right now, I still keep a healthy Bennett and Avril over him. If by seasons end though Richardson has kept up his level of play at his current level? I let one of the old dogs walk.
    Mistashoesta
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:34 pm

Cut Avril and Kam, re-up Clark, Richardson, and McDougald.
    WE ALL WE GOT, WE ALL WE NEED!!!!!!!!!!!
    Pandion Haliaetus
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:42 pm
  • Rather sign a decent LT and keep the offense on the field.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:13 pm

We need to let go or trade Bennet or Avril if the cap allows it. They are both 31 right now and Richardson is only 26. Add him to Clark who is 24, Reed who is 24, Nazir Jones who is 22, Marcus Smith who is 25, and McDowell hopefully who is 21. We are allready fairly young and I can see Bennet or Avril getting pushed out later this year or into next year by our youth.

I would be suprised if Graham is resigned which should free up some space, and then I guess maybe they could let Lane go, or maybe Lacys contract too...Isnt he making like 5 mil this year

"Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does"
    WilsonMVP
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:40 pm
  • S Rich is a must re-sign, what a beast. I'd be fine with losing Kam or Lane or god forbid if Avrils career is over that frees up some but whatever wrangling needs to be done there has got to be a way. Kam to me has looked a shell of himself, maybe he lines people up and holds them accountable or is the level head what have you but his on field performance is lacking, when was the last time we saw him take someones soul, and set the tone out there, every week it seems hes on the wrong end of a highlight reel play against, they throw over him, he took the wrong angle. took out our other star safety (had to say it lol), just looks slow and out of place too many times. I didn't say every time but he's living off years past and that contract is gonna be a liability going forward if not already. Get big Frank done too, that speed rush he put on Whitworth, wow.
    flmmkrz
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:50 pm

I believe you said the answer yourself. Out with the old, in with the new. Perhaps Avril or Bennett but as someone else mentioned, if Graham is not re-signed, Sheldon would likely be priority #1 to keep on this team if he keeps wreaking havoc for the QB like he did today. If his production continues, they will certainly find a way.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:17 pm
  • The Hawks will have around $30M in cap space in the off-season. The only players that will be cut will be the under performing ones (not stars), such as Jeremy Lane, which will free up even more space. If Sheldon Richardson re-signed cap space would not be an issue due to year 1 of contracts having a relatively low cap number compared to yr 2,3,4 etc.

What it will come down to is who will offer the most $$$, and will Seattle be willing to franchise tag him if they feel like they will get out bid before FA starts.

On the open market imo he's as good as gone. Desperate, poorly run teams will throw so much money around the Hawks won't have a chance. PCJS never have used the Franchise tag, but this is a case where it is necessary.

Frank Clark & Sheldon Richardson are the teams foundational pieces on Def going forward. 24 & 26 years old a piece. Combined with Reed, Malik, and Naz, Seattle could be boasting the best young D-Line in all of football.

Clark & Richardson are priority #1a 1b for me once the off-season begins.

TLDR: Franchise tag will be necessary to retain him. The Hawks have the cap space to do so, no one "good" needs to be cut to make room for him.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:33 pm
  • hawk45 wrote:co-signed. Richardson and Clark are the future, and I'm looking forward to those two.

For the third time the place is rebuilding the from inside to outside. We already have Richardson and Jones....pretty solid right? McDowell seems to not actually dead......and well seems we have plenty of edge/outside rush options.

You score TWO pass rush DT's at the same time? Not buying It. Luckily we aren't a buyer anymore. Because of Pete we will draft 3 elite DE's before Walter Jones or Shaun Alexander. Enjoy the show....Rams vs. Seahawks, offense vs.defense. Round One....Seahawks. Round Two is coming soon. I love that the Rams are back. Arrogant assholes they are. 10 points Rams fans...10.
    Last edited by Josea16 on Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    Josea16
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:35 pm
  • All for resigning. Young athletic big man. Perfect locker room for him. Was in a bad situation before when called out guys for quitting on the team. Sadly, I really think Avril is done and absolutely can not blame him walking away even if cleared, thats scary. Clark and Richardson together could nasty for years. Richardson's going to get paid regardless but coming here and seeing our operation leads me to think takes a deal for slightly lesser than the open market would make him to stay here. And sorry not sorry I hope we resign Jimmy. Players here taunted him with the Saints, "soft" got tossed around... all I know is a patella tendon tear, all while teammates visited/encouraged him everyday on rehab, has ended careers and dude came back from it in 10 months without camp and nearly had 1k yards... bad scheming/utilizing... run seams/posts yet mostly underneaths and check downs... some bad drops yes, also nothing new in our history of receivers over the years... anyone thinking that guy was coming her and going to be Saints numbers is absolutely asinine thinking with our system... guy being on the field alone demands attention to open others... all while guy came here after being fed every game prior and doesn't bitch about targets just wants to win

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DJ_CJ
    NET Rookie

Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:42 pm
  • His attitude sounded very good after the game. He talked about how much he was enjoying being here but he said his numbers weren't what they should be yet. Seemed very happy to be here but I get that he wasn't happy in NY!
    peppersjap
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:06 pm
  • hawk45 wrote:

I think both could be done.
    UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:20 pm
  • Mistashoesta wrote:I like what I see from Richardson and I know his history, but I need to see more. Right now, I still keep a healthy Bennett and Avril over him. If by seasons end though Richardson has kept up his level of play at his current level? I let one of the old dogs walk.

Too much sentiment. Bennett is still good but he's not the same player he used to be.

The patriots keep a consistently solid defense by not keeping old players too long..

One of the complaints is our defense is supposedly long in the tooth. Richardson would give us some young talent to makeup for some disappointing draft picks.
    WestcoastSteve
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:27 pm
  • nanomoz wrote:
    509hawk wrote:

They’re set to have just under 20 million in cap space, but only have 36 players under contract. To just fill out the roster with minimum level contracts will cost about 8 million of that 20 million.

If he was willing to take the same contract that Malik Jackson took from the Jags a couple years ago (6/85) they could squeeze him under in year 1 (10 million), but that means 1) he’d have to take that (he’s worth more than what Malik Jackson got before the ‘16 season, IMO), and all other FAs walking and being replaced with drafted players and NFL minimum contracts.

TBF this is without knowing how much the cap will go up, so maybe they could give him 12-13 in year one and have a 2-3 million over minimum contracts to fill out the rest of the roster.

The real way you make it work and make your entire offseason not just resigning Richardson is to cut Avril, or in the very least Lane (although I’d guess they’d rather wait another year to do that instead of taking on the 2.5 million in dead money for doing it this offseason)
    Last edited by Popeyejones on Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:27 pm
  • UK_Seahawk wrote:
    hawk45 wrote:

I think both could be done.

Likely will be done. Good DT's are not just found UFDA like everything beyond elite offensive linemen or elite quarterbacks.

Yeah, the kind that win NFL games with a high school OL and no running game. Goff and Gurley my ass.
    Josea16
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:37 pm
  • Popeyejones wrote:
    nanomoz wrote:
    509hawk wrote:

They’re set to have just under 20 million in cap space, but only have 36 players under contract. To just fill out the roster with minimum level contracts will cost about 8 million of that 20 million.

If he was willing to take the same contract that Malik Jackson took from the Jags a couple years ago (6/85) they could squeeze him under in year 1 (10 million), but that means 1) he’d have to take that (he’s worth more than what Malik Jackson got before the ‘16 season, IMO), and all other FAs walking and being replaced with drafted players and NFL minimum contracts.

Do you prefer defense or offense? I prefer what is being attempted if Wilson is healthy. Risky? Yes, but it's better then Kansas City's approach in my opinion.

The guy is given nothing yet dukes it out with supposed best and wins more then loses.
    Josea16
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:42 pm

AGREED.

There are three certainties in life. Death, taxes and the perpetual shuffling of the Seattle Seahawks offensive line.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:45 pm
  • ^^^if it was me? I’d rather cut Avril (Clark is ready to start) which gets you half way to Richardson, or distribute the money that goes to Richardson to three or four guys who slip through the cracks of the market.

That’s not really the way the Seahawks do things though. They love their superstars.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:04 am
  • Popeyejones wrote:
    nanomoz wrote:
    509hawk wrote:

TBF this is without knowing how much the cap will go up, so maybe they could give him 12-13 in year one and have a 2-3 million over minimum contracts to fill out the rest of the roster.

The real way you make it work and make your entire offseason not just resigning Richardson is to cut Avril, or in the very least Lane (although I’d guess they’d rather wait another year to do that instead of taking on the 2.5 million in dead money for doing it this offseason)

Lane is easy. Avril and Bennett will hurt but it's fine. Given Clark, McDowell and Jones.
    Josea16
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:31 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information