Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Last defense stand

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Last defense stand
Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:43 pm
  • That was one of the worst coaching iv ever seen! They were playing press coverage and trying to take away the quick, short passes! WTH was That?!

In that kind of situation you want them to complete the 5-10 yard passes so that time is used up. But these guys were playing press coverage and getting faked out by short routes. Luckily their receiver dropped the TD catch and we lucked out of not completely chocking!
    northseahawk
    NET Veteran

Re: Last defense stand
Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:53 pm
  • northseahawk wrote:That was one of the worst coaching iv ever seen! They were playing press coverage and trying to take away the quick, short passes! WTH was That?!

In that kind of situation you want them to complete the 5-10 yard passes so that time is used up. But these guys were playing press coverage and getting faked out by short routes. Luckily their receiver dropped the TD catch and we lucked out of not completely chocking!

You need to get your behind down to the VMAC now and get on that coaching staff. This is the Hawks only hope.
    907Hawk
    NET Rookie

Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:53 pm
  • Might have been trying to jam the recievers to disrupt the timing of the routes and get a sack. They tried to stay aggressive and not play prevent.
    RussB
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:13 pm
  • 907Hawk wrote:
    northseahawk wrote:That was one of the worst coaching iv ever seen! They were playing press coverage and trying to take away the quick, short passes! WTH was That?!

You need to get your behind down to the VMAC now and get on that coaching staff. This is the Hawks only hope.

What is the point of this post?
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:22 pm
  • northseahawk wrote:That was one of the worst coaching iv ever seen! They were playing press coverage and trying to take away the quick, short passes! WTH was That?!

Ah yes the guy in the game thread who declared today was a passing of the torch and declared Russel is a midget.

I likes our defense the last drive. Prevent defense prevents wins.

The cowboys played prevent against the packers and Rodgers carved them.

The hawks forced the rams to make some playa. Glad cupp couldn't make the final one
    WestcoastSteve
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:24 am
  • If they give cushion to the receiver, Kris Richard has them playing the Gus Bradley vanilla prevent coverage.

If they're up at the LOS playing man, he's too aggressive.

The guy gets killed either way by fans.
    FIRE PETE CARROLL!!!!
    Jim Harbaugh to Seattle 2018!
    ludakrishna
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:23 am
  • They took chances with the big plays in the middle of the field, but it ate up clock like a starving gorilla binge-eating on a banana plantation. Two plays and the clock was almost run out. If the passes were incomplete, they'd have held the yardage but left time on the clock. Either way it's a gamble, but they didn't give anything up long and out of bounds, which is the killer we've seen far too many times. Yes, they gave up the couple of longish-yardage plays, but it cost the Rams big in time on the clock, and ultimately cost them the game.

I was much happier to see them keep the ball in the middle of the field and let the time tick away than I would have been (and have been many times before) seeing them chip away at the sidelines and get within range. Defense was money today and I'll take the huge win against a tough division rival on the road.
    "The ultimate number is W's, and that’s what matters in Santa Clara. As such, Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does." - Paul Gutierrez
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:37 am
  • ludakrishna wrote:If they give cushion to the receiver, Kris Richard has them playing the Gus Bradley vanilla prevent coverage.

If they're up at the LOS playing man, he's too aggressive.

The guy gets killed either way by fans.

Funny how that works out. Haters gonna hate. :mrgreen:
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:39 am
  • Complaining about a win, shocker :lol:
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:44 am
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:They took chances with the big plays in the middle of the field, but it ate up clock like a starving gorilla binge-eating on a banana plantation. Two plays and the clock was almost run out. If the passes were incomplete, they'd have held the yardage but left time on the clock. Either way it's a gamble, but they didn't give anything up long and out of bounds, which is the killer we've seen far too many times. Yes, they gave up the couple of longish-yardage plays, but it cost the Rams big in time on the clock, and ultimately cost them the game.

I was much happier to see them keep the ball in the middle of the field and let the time tick away than I would have been (and have been many times before) seeing them chip away at the sidelines and get within range. Defense was money today and I'll take the huge win against a tough division rival on the road.

They seemed to do a good job of taking away the outside and letting them try to play against the clock. That missed TD throw was disconcerting, but that was Coleman getting beat by his man on a move; dude just froze and he got run by.

It would have been nice if they had been shut out sooner, but they hadn't. Team still won.
    bmorepunk
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:17 am
  • Other than the usual vulnerability to a TE seam route, the OP needs to recall the team kept them in the middle of the field so the clock kept running, and LAR has a very good O.

They did make me nervous though.
    Last edited by jammerhawk on Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:22 am
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:They took chances with the big plays in the middle of the field, but it ate up clock like a starving gorilla binge-eating on a banana plantation. Two plays and the clock was almost run out. If the passes were incomplete, they'd have held the yardage but left time on the clock. Either way it's a gamble, but they didn't give anything up long and out of bounds, which is the killer we've seen far too many times. Yes, they gave up the couple of longish-yardage plays, but it cost the Rams big in time on the clock, and ultimately cost them the game.

Exactly. I would much rather see passes completed in the middle of the field, and that's all the Rams had.

I would have liked to see them play off the receivers a little more once the Rams got to the 20 or so, but I have seen the Hawks fail so many times by doing that strategy that I can't fault them too much for being aggressive and trying to have tight coverage.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    * NET Moderator *

Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:25 am
  • That guy was wide open though...
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:28 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:That guy was wide open though...

That was on Coleman for breaking off his coverage at the last second. Coleman had a bad game and gave up several big plays.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:33 am
  • Seymour wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:That guy was wide open though...

That was on Coleman for breaking off his coverage at the last second. Coleman had a bad game and gave up several big plays.

That's actually a good thing. Coleman wasn't with the team all off season and hasn't gotten a starting amount of game reps this season outside of one or two games. I'm optimistic he'll get better with more reps and familiarity with our starting defensive personnel.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:34 am
  • They had 60 minutes to score more than 10 points, cry me a river. The better team won.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:11 am
  • I'm glad we played aggressive with press and man coverage, all it takes playing a prevent defense with 7 or 8 DB's on the field is one missed tackle in the open and they're in a spot of bother, play aggressive is the way to go IMO, especially as our open field tackling was sub par compared to what we as fans are used to, I guess the grass had something to do with it. Fortunately, it worked. Great win! I love the close ones, proper edge of your seat stuff!
    Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:15 am
  • Off topic, just how did Goff become so much better from the frail little qb from last year.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:21 am
  • Bobblehead wrote:Off topic, just how did Goff become so much better from the frail little qb from last year.

Quite impressive isn't it.

Here are my thoughts -

He's not so 'under the lights' and being scrutinised

A year around an NFL team, nothing is new to him anymore

Natural progression

A vastly improved O-Line and an overall better offense surrounding him.

He's going to be really good in a couple of years.
    Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:31 am
  • No doubt, Goff is completely different QB, gonna' be a good one imo.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:33 am
  • His biggest weakness IMO is his long ball, it's about the only area of his game that hasn't improved and if it has, it just means he's missing over/under throwing his target by 5-10 yards as opposed to 10-15.
    original poster
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:37 am
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:No doubt, Goff is completely different QB, gonna' be a good one imo.

All you have to do is hit him hard a couple of times and he will revert back to cupcake.

We were not able to do that much, so clearly the major difference is the oline upgrades more than Goff was transformed into a top QB overnight.

If we had a similar oline improvement, it would turn Wilson into Brees+ (passing wise).
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:42 am
  • Everything we heard about Goff coming out was that Wentz was more polished and Goff was a "project" due to playing in a mostly spread offense at college, and a guy who should sit a few years and would take a few years to get up to NFL level but ultimately had a higher ceiling.

Of course, the Rams traded the farm for him so he HAD to start day 1, but ultimately those predictions look wise in the end.
    themunn
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:15 am
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:They had 60 minutes to score more than 10 points, cry me a river. The better team won.

Is someone crying? Did you see a bunch of kids on your lawn again?
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:23 am
  • themunn wrote:Everything we heard about Goff coming out was that Wentz was more polished and Goff was a "project" due to playing in a mostly spread offense at college, and a guy who should sit a few years and would take a few years to get up to NFL level but ultimately had a higher ceiling.

Of course, the Rams traded the farm for him so he HAD to start day 1, but ultimately those predictions look wise in the end.

??? :?:
    Goff did not start day 1, it was like week 10 before he got his first start. One of the reasons Fisher took so much crap for the pick last year.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:23 am
  • Seymour wrote:

I think Coleman just got beat by a stutter move. He froze and got blown by.
    bmorepunk
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:25 am
  • I was referring to Rams fans crying about the game.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:29 am
  • Seymour wrote:
    themunn wrote:Everything we heard about Goff coming out was that Wentz was more polished and Goff was a "project" due to playing in a mostly spread offense at college, and a guy who should sit a few years and would take a few years to get up to NFL level but ultimately had a higher ceiling.

??? :?:
    Goff did not start day 1, it was like week 10 before he got his first start. One of the reasons Fisher took so much crap for the pick last year.

Huh, memory bias there. In any case he started playing much earlier than he should have - sitting him was the right call, and arguably then starting him from midseason so that he wasn't coming in fresh this season was also the right call.
    themunn
    NET Veteran

• bmorepunk wrote:
    Seymour wrote:

Could be but I thought I remember him looking back at the QB there and him playing the QB's eyes and not the receiver. I'll have to watch it again. Either way, he did not play well, even beyond that.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• themunn wrote:Everything we heard about Goff coming out was that Wentz was more polished and Goff was a "project" due to playing in a mostly spread offense at college, and a guy who should sit a few years and would take a few years to get up to NFL level but ultimately had a higher ceiling.

I actually was impressed with Goff yesterday. He made some mistakes, but he threw some freakin' dimes, and played pretty damn well for the Hawks taking away the Ram's run game making them one dimensional.

LEAPS AND BOUNDS from what I saw last year from Goff. He was lost and on his way to bustville.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:34 am
  • bmorepunk wrote:
    Seymour wrote:

Actually, Earl took responsibility for that blown play during the postgame presser.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:45 am
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:I was referring to Rams fans crying about the game.

(Well damnit)

Yeah screw those guys.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:46 am
  • Seymour wrote:
    SoulfishHawk wrote:No doubt, Goff is completely different QB, gonna' be a good one imo.

All you have to do is hit him hard a couple of times and he will revert back to cupcake.

We were not able to do that much, so clearly the major difference is the oline upgrades more than Goff was transformed into a top QB overnight.

If we had a similar oline improvement, it would turn Wilson into Brees+ (passing wise).

I completely agree with this. He reminds me of mentally fragile QB's like Cutler. He's got a ton of talent, but if you can get hits on him he starts to unravel. They were smart beefing up that offensive line because that's the only way he can be successful. I'll be interested how long they will be able to pay enough to keep a top offensive line with their young talent starting to eat into that cap, starting next year with 7 starters as UFA's.
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:47 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:That guy was wide open though...

And Goff was pressured to throw a slightly off frantic pass, that his outstretched Receiver couldn't haul in.....Damn the luck :stirthepot:
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:52 am
  • but....but...but....we almost lost. Hoping we ALMOST lose more, bring it. Got the W
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:58 am
  • Bobblehead wrote:Off topic, just how did Goff become so much better from the frail little qb from last year.

He's obviously been Coached to focus more, and to understand that if you're going to have success, you have to settle down and find your open targets, though after yesterdays game, he's going to have to go back to his psychiatrist for a few more sessions. :rumble: :lol: :lol:
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:33 am

He got a real coach.
    Fire Tom Cable
    bigskydoc
    NET Veteran

It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:08 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information