Last defense stand

northseahawk

Reaction score
That was one of the worst coaching iv ever seen! They were playing press coverage and trying to take away the quick, short passes! WTH was That?!

In that kind of situation you want them to complete the 5-10 yard passes so that time is used up. But these guys were playing press coverage and getting faked out by short routes. Luckily their receiver dropped the TD catch and we lucked out of not completely chocking!

907Hawk

Reaction score
northseahawk":2swnp27v said:
That was one of the worst coaching iv ever seen! They were playing press coverage and trying to take away the quick, short passes! WTH was That?!

In that kind of situation you want them to complete the 5-10 yard passes so that time is used up. But these guys were playing press coverage and getting faked out by short routes. Luckily their receiver dropped the TD catch and we lucked out of not completely chocking!

You need to get your behind down to the VMAC now and get on that coaching staff. This is the Hawks only hope.

RussB

Reaction score
Might have been trying to jam the recievers to disrupt the timing of the routes and get a sack. They tried to stay aggressive and not play prevent.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
907Hawk":2ah94x8y said:
northseahawk":2ah94x8y said:

You need to get your behind down to the VMAC now and get on that coaching staff. This is the Hawks only hope.

What is the point of this post?

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
northseahawk":1s96ssjz said:

Ah yes the guy in the game thread who declared today was a passing of the torch and declared Russel is a midget.

I likes our defense the last drive. Prevent defense prevents wins.

The cowboys played prevent against the packers and Rodgers carved them.

The hawks forced the rams to make some playa. Glad cupp couldn't make the final one

ludakrishna

Reaction score
If they give cushion to the receiver, Kris Richard has them playing the Gus Bradley vanilla prevent coverage.

If they're up at the LOS playing man, he's too aggressive.

The guy gets killed either way by fans.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
They took chances with the big plays in the middle of the field, but it ate up clock like a starving gorilla binge-eating on a banana plantation. Two plays and the clock was almost run out. If the passes were incomplete, they'd have held the yardage but left time on the clock. Either way it's a gamble, but they didn't give anything up long and out of bounds, which is the killer we've seen far too many times. Yes, they gave up the couple of longish-yardage plays, but it cost the Rams big in time on the clock, and ultimately cost them the game.

I was much happier to see them keep the ball in the middle of the field and let the time tick away than I would have been (and have been many times before) seeing them chip away at the sidelines and get within range. Defense was money today and I'll take the huge win against a tough division rival on the road.

sutz

Reaction score
ludakrishna":134l92h7 said:
If they give cushion to the receiver, Kris Richard has them playing the Gus Bradley vanilla prevent coverage.

If they're up at the LOS playing man, he's too aggressive.

The guy gets killed either way by fans.
Funny how that works out. Haters gonna hate. :mrgreen:

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":1pyw1jvg said:
They took chances with the big plays in the middle of the field, but it ate up clock like a starving gorilla binge-eating on a banana plantation. Two plays and the clock was almost run out. If the passes were incomplete, they'd have held the yardage but left time on the clock. Either way it's a gamble, but they didn't give anything up long and out of bounds, which is the killer we've seen far too many times. Yes, they gave up the couple of longish-yardage plays, but it cost the Rams big in time on the clock, and ultimately cost them the game.

I was much happier to see them keep the ball in the middle of the field and let the time tick away than I would have been (and have been many times before) seeing them chip away at the sidelines and get within range. Defense was money today and I'll take the huge win against a tough division rival on the road.

They seemed to do a good job of taking away the outside and letting them try to play against the clock. That missed TD throw was disconcerting, but that was Coleman getting beat by his man on a move; dude just froze and he got run by.

It would have been nice if they had been shut out sooner, but they hadn't. Team still won.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Other than the usual vulnerability to a TE seam route, the OP needs to recall the team kept them in the middle of the field so the clock kept running, and LAR has a very good O.

They did make me nervous though.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":1ck7c9uk said:

Exactly. I would much rather see passes completed in the middle of the field, and that's all the Rams had.

I would have liked to see them play off the receivers a little more once the Rams got to the 20 or so, but I have seen the Hawks fail so many times by doing that strategy that I can't fault them too much for being aggressive and trying to have tight coverage.

Seymour

Reaction score
Uncle Si":k9v2sm2o said:
That guy was wide open though...

That was on Coleman for breaking off his coverage at the last second. Coleman had a bad game and gave up several big plays.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Seymour":2dqrox4i said:
Uncle Si":2dqrox4i said:
That guy was wide open though...

That was on Coleman for breaking off his coverage at the last second. Coleman had a bad game and gave up several big plays.

That's actually a good thing. Coleman wasn't with the team all off season and hasn't gotten a starting amount of game reps this season outside of one or two games. I'm optimistic he'll get better with more reps and familiarity with our starting defensive personnel.

original poster

Reaction score
I'm glad we played aggressive with press and man coverage, all it takes playing a prevent defense with 7 or 8 DB's on the field is one missed tackle in the open and they're in a spot of bother, play aggressive is the way to go IMO, especially as our open field tackling was sub par compared to what we as fans are used to, I guess the grass had something to do with it. Fortunately, it worked. Great win! I love the close ones, proper edge of your seat stuff!

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Off topic, just how did Goff become so much better from the frail little qb from last year.

original poster

Reaction score
Bobblehead":1jaarqds said:
Off topic, just how did Goff become so much better from the frail little qb from last year.

Quite impressive isn't it.

Here are my thoughts -

He's not so 'under the lights' and being scrutinised

A year around an NFL team, nothing is new to him anymore

Natural progression

A vastly improved O-Line and an overall better offense surrounding him.

He's going to be really good in a couple of years.