Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Seahawks experimenting with Jimmy Graham on Offense

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • "As stated by PFF: “Coming into (the Rams’ game) game, Jimmy Graham had run 132 total routes on the season, and 32.6 percent of those routes came when lined up at in-line tight end. Against the Rams, Graham ran 31 total routes, and just three of them came from the tight-end position, while 90.3 percent of them came lined up either in the slot or out wide. Graham had an overall game grade of 82.0, his best of 2017, and the highest of any Seahawks offensive player versus the Rams.” It paid off in Graham making six catches on eight targets including the Seahawks’ only TD on a play on which he was split out wide.

One byproduct of that was that the Seahawks used their other tight ends quite a bit to get in-line blocking and also used tackle Matt Tobin eight times as an eligible tackle. That allowed Seattle to use Graham outside more. Vannett also played a season-high 29 percent of the snaps and Luke Willson’s 38.2 percent was his second-highest."

Source: https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/sea ... -and-more/
    Scorpion05
    NET Rookie

• Get Jimmy out on routes and Russell can use him as a pressure valve.

I don't usually consider us to be smarter than the coaching staff of the Seahawks, but this is one of those times where the solution seems fairly obvious and Pete's conservative nature held him back from deploying it.

Or maybe he just wanted to save it for the Rams.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• I'm just glad they are trying something different.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    * NET Moderator *

• 2 years and 4 games to figure out that Graham is not best suited as a $10M blocker?

Brilliant! Ignore what the Saints did with him, we are so much smarter than them on O. :2thumbs:

Better late than never.....barely though.
    Last edited by Seymour on Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• About freaking time.
    nategreat
    NET Veteran

• Scorpion05 wrote:"As stated by PFF: “Coming into (the Rams’ game) game, Jimmy Graham had run 132 total routes on the season, and 32.6 percent of those routes came when lined up at in-line tight end. Against the Rams, Graham ran 31 total routes, and just three of them came from the tight-end position, while 90.3 percent of them came lined up either in the slot or out wide. Graham had an overall game grade of 82.0, his best of 2017, and the highest of any Seahawks offensive player versus the Rams.” It paid off in Graham making six catches on eight targets including the Seahawks’ only TD on a play on which he was split out wide.

One byproduct of that was that the Seahawks used their other tight ends quite a bit to get in-line blocking and also used tackle Matt Tobin eight times as an eligible tackle. That allowed Seattle to use Graham outside more. Vannett also played a season-high 29 percent of the snaps and Luke Willson’s 38.2 percent was his second-highest."

Source: https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/sea ... -and-more/

Nice post!
    HawkerD
    NET Starter

• I agree with both statements. I am just puzzled why this hasn't been figured out before.

nategreat wrote:About freaking time.

HawkFan72 wrote:I'm just glad they are trying something different.
    L.O.B.
    raisethe3
    NET Starter

• OK, what's in the past is in the past, they're trying new things, now they have two full weeks to review and implement, and THIS IS REALLY ENCOURAGING!!!
    SNDavidson
    NET Veteran

• But watch... they'll revert back to their old ways, Now that they figured out what works, they'll abandon it.

I mean, somebody was going to say it... right?
    NET Veteran

• Coming to a stadium near you.....Next game the Seahawks are going to experiment with scoring a touchdown on the opening drive for the first time in 18 games. :2thumbs:
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• Seymour wrote:Coming to a stadium near you.....Next game the Seahawks are going to experiment with scoring a touchdown on the opening drive for the first time in 18 games. :2thumbs:

Let's not get too crazy.

The 2017 Seattle Seahawks: "We're allergic to 1st half TD's"
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• MontanaHawk05 wrote:Get Jimmy out on routes and Russell can use him as a pressure valve.

I don't usually consider us to be smarter than the coaching staff of the Seahawks, but this is one of those times where the solution seems fairly obvious and Pete's conservative nature held him back from deploying it.

I don't have a problem with him lining up at the Y, but they need to break up the reps. It doesn't make sense to keep Graham in blocking when: A. it drains him of explosiveness having to push against DE's and LBers the entire game and B. he's better off of a safety valve, which is hard for him to get out in the route when the OL gives up pressure in 2.5 seconds and he's blocking for a second.

My problem is that they continually run him at the Y in the red zone, where the field is already condensed. It's easier to double him with a LB and a Safety when no one is afraid of being beaten over the top. Conversely, Graham blocking from the Y gives him a big advantage in a longer field when the LBer has to make a read step or two for a run, then start to backpedal or turn his hips and run with Graham.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

• Hawks46 wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:Get Jimmy out on routes and Russell can use him as a pressure valve.

I don't have a problem with him lining up at the Y, but they need to break up the reps. It doesn't make sense to keep Graham in blocking when: A. it drains him of explosiveness having to push against DE's and LBers the entire game and B. he's better off of a safety valve, which is hard for him to get out in the route when the OL gives up pressure in 2.5 seconds and he's blocking for a second.

My problem is that they continually run him at the Y in the red zone, where the field is already condensed. It's easier to double him with a LB and a Safety when no one is afraid of being beaten over the top. Conversely, Graham blocking from the Y gives him a big advantage in a longer field when the LBer has to make a read step or two for a run, then start to backpedal or turn his hips and run with Graham.

You have to mix it up with Graham, can't just split him out 100% of the time, or else it tips our hand as to run/pass play.

As far as the red zone, I'd like to see Graham go in motion WAY more. It'd make it way harder for defenses to bracket him if he's in motion and moving around the formation.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Hmmm.. Sounds like I read something like that in here before..about freakin time. I remember now the announcer 73 coming in as a eligible receiver and thought it was about time and something we hadn't seen before.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• SNDavidson wrote:OK, what's in the past is in the past, they're trying new things, now they have two full weeks to review and implement, and THIS IS REALLY ENCOURAGING!!!

Or Bevell will outsmart himself with two weeks to prep.
    Bevell: Our next opponent most likely studied this game and would prepare for Jimmy Graham so we will account for that by using Jimmy as a decoy. However, we have used Jimmy as a decoy before so they must have known that and accounted for it. We should just keep Jimmy off the field on passing downs. That should fool them right?

Bevell is our Vizzini from Princess Bride.
    Russ Willstrong
    NET Veteran

• Experimenting or Showcasing? :stirthepot:
    Kam, come home!
    CalboHawk
    NET Bench Warmer

• Seymour wrote:Coming to a stadium near you.....Next game the Seahawks are going to experiment with scoring a touchdown on the opening drive for the first time in 18 games. :2thumbs:

Now there is an experiment I could get down with, and totally support.

Finally the team has started to realize Graham is a mismatch if used properly. As said above what took them so long to figure this out.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

• Showcasing him to try and generate trade interest. In doing so they will completely miss how he can make it easier for them to win games.
    I used to be Bitter.
    JustTheTip
    NET Veteran

• I think this has more to do with finally have two healthy and capable tight ends to block in NV and LW. The tight end position has finally stabilized.
    HawkNuts
    NET Starter

• I think it's how did the Saints use him and why did he try to get a contract based on WR scale and not TE.

Only took a few years for Bevell to think about maybe we should look at what made him successful in the first place.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• CalboHawk wrote:Experimenting or Showcasing? :stirthepot:

Seriously. Got to show he still has it if we want someone to to give him $10M+ next year...
    Own The West
    NET Rookie

• Seymour wrote:2 years and 4 games to figure out that Graham is not best suited as a $10M blocker?

Brilliant! Ignore what the Saints did with him, we are so much smarter than them on O. :2thumbs:

Debatable about the better late than never part. We're probably going to use him effectively for the remainder of this season, then trade him.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• RolandDeschain wrote:
    Seymour wrote:2 years and 4 games to figure out that Graham is not best suited as a $10M blocker?

Debatable about the better late than never part. We're probably going to use him effectively for the remainder of this season, then trade him.

Jimmy is a FA at the end of this season.
    LolaRox
    NET Veteran

• Vernon Davis probably would be a better TE for Seattle than Graham. Great run blocking still.

Kelce, Gronk, Delanie Walker......all more suitable too.
    NINEster
    NET Veteran

• Wish it didn't take so long to put Jimmy out at WR. Hop on youtube and watch any game JG played with the Saints and you'll see him out there all the time. We finally do this and it's the year before he's a free agent again...
    "Know thy self, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories." - Sun Tzu
    BigMeach
    NET Veteran

• BigMeach wrote:Wish it didn't take so long to put Jimmy out at WR. Hop on youtube and watch any game JG played with the Saints and you'll see him out there all the time. We finally do this and it's the year before he's a free agent again...

It's frustrating how this coaching staff is slow to catch on to things on offense.
    Russ Willstrong
    NET Veteran

• Russ Willstrong wrote:
    BigMeach wrote:Wish it didn't take so long to put Jimmy out at WR. Hop on youtube and watch any game JG played with the Saints and you'll see him out there all the time. We finally do this and it's the year before he's a free agent again...

It's frustrating how this coaching staff is slow to catch on to things on offense.

But he's so good at chip blocking! Watching him run at the line of scrimmage for 80% of his routes has been incredible (ignoring the fact he's one of the biggest intermediate route mismatches in the NFL). I'm actually glad the coaching staff hasn't thought of using a different TE to stay in blocking so Jimmy can be a pseudo WR like he was during his pro bowl seasons with the Saints. He needed to work on his blocking form. Really round out his resume before he's too old.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

• Russ Willstrong wrote:
    BigMeach wrote:Wish it didn't take so long to put Jimmy out at WR. Hop on youtube and watch any game JG played with the Saints and you'll see him out there all the time. We finally do this and it's the year before he's a free agent again...

What's frustrating for me, is watching a guy whiff so bad at blocking for his team mates.
    The dummies probably saw how good a job at Run Blocking, that a much smaller Golden Tate did, and probably thought that JG could add blocking to his repertoire and become a more complete TE.
    Sure miss having guys like Joe Jurevicius (sp.), he actually blocked his ass off, and fought for every contested ball, some of his plays were 'Shake Your Head Beautiful'.
    Strange how Lil Doug use to be fairly adept at run blocking also.
    To add, even Matt Hasselbeck gave a nice block for Marshawn Lynch's 'BEASTMODE' run against the Saints Defense in the playoffs.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• Tom Cable said if a wr can't block he won't play here. Maybe this is their long term plan for our future #1 receiver
    cymatica
    NET Veteran

• LolaRox wrote:Jimmy is a FA at the end of this season.

Even worse, lol.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• I think everyone here thought he would be at SE or WO when we got him and all were collectively sighing a big WTF when we heard we're trying to teach, "Hi, I'm Jimmy" how to block.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• Trade Jimmy for Matarvis Bryant and a 5th round pick.
    Per ESPN Matarvis have asked to be traded.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
    HawaiiD
    NET Rookie

• HawaiiD wrote:Trade Jimmy for Matarvis Bryant and a 5th round pick.
    Per ESPN Matarvis have asked to be traded.

Percy 2.0

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• We won a Super Bowl with Percy [emoji3]

HawaiiD
    NET Rookie

• Why.. we won't know how to use him.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• Bobblehead wrote:Why.. we won't know how to use him.
    Same could be said with Jimmy for the past 3 years. It couldn't be worst could it?

HawaiiD
    NET Rookie

• HawaiiD wrote:
    Bobblehead wrote:Why.. we won't know how to use him.
    Can you elaborate on how well we used Jimmy for the past 3 years? It couldn't be worst could it?

HawaiiD
    NET Rookie

• HawaiiD wrote:We won a Super Bowl with Percy [emoji3]

Really Percy was along for the ride, defense won before the second half.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Better late than never?

Sure makes the coaching staff look like real-deal morons.

Then again, JImmy could be back to blocking half the time this weekend while Bevell giggles on the sideline.
    semiahmoo
    NET Veteran

• semiahmoo wrote:Better late than never?

Then again, JImmy could be back to blocking half the time this weekend while Bevell giggles on the sideline.

And this is a revelation when it comes to our offense?

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Can't get blood out of a turnip.
    The Seahawks Coaching staff busted their asses, to try and get Graham to block LIKE A REAL GOOD TE, or WR is suppose to be able do.
    It's not ALWAYS on the O-Line to pick up rushers, & Our Run game + Russell Wilson's health DEPENDS on BETTER blocking from EVERYONE, that's what they mean when they say TEAMWORK.
    Not knocking JG, but Blocking has never been his strong suit......The Seahawks are in dire need for EVERYONE to pull their weight.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• True TE is a player that has a LB mentality and WR hands willing to nail people, Mark Bavarro, Kellen Winslow Sr, Ozzie Newsome, Gronk, Miller before he was done are some. The only reason Graham is a TE is his size, he does not like contact. If your not in the right mentality you can't teach it.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:
    HawaiiD wrote:We won a Super Bowl with Percy [emoji3]

Really Percy was along for the ride, defense won before the second half.
    I agree the defense won it for us. However, Percy did score In 12 seconds to start the second half. As well as the D to start the game. Pretty special super bowl.

HawaiiD
    NET Rookie

It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:44 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information