Seahawks experimenting with Jimmy Graham on Offense

Scorpion05

Reaction score
"As stated by PFF: “Coming into (the Rams’ game) game, Jimmy Graham had run 132 total routes on the season, and 32.6 percent of those routes came when lined up at in-line tight end. Against the Rams, Graham ran 31 total routes, and just three of them came from the tight-end position, while 90.3 percent of them came lined up either in the slot or out wide. Graham had an overall game grade of 82.0, his best of 2017, and the highest of any Seahawks offensive player versus the Rams.” It paid off in Graham making six catches on eight targets including the Seahawks’ only TD on a play on which he was split out wide.

One byproduct of that was that the Seahawks used their other tight ends quite a bit to get in-line blocking and also used tackle Matt Tobin eight times as an eligible tackle. That allowed Seattle to use Graham outside more. Vannett also played a season-high 29 percent of the snaps and Luke Willson’s 38.2 percent was his second-highest."

Source: https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/sea ... -and-more/

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Get Jimmy out on routes and Russell can use him as a pressure valve.

I don't usually consider us to be smarter than the coaching staff of the Seahawks, but this is one of those times where the solution seems fairly obvious and Pete's conservative nature held him back from deploying it.

Or maybe he just wanted to save it for the Rams.

Seymour

Reaction score
2 years and 4 games to figure out that Graham is not best suited as a $10M blocker?

Brilliant! Ignore what the Saints did with him, we are so much smarter than them on O. :2thumbs:

Better late than never.....barely though.

HawkerD

Reaction score
Scorpion05":23nu7ztt said:
"As stated by PFF: “Coming into (the Rams’ game) game, Jimmy Graham had run 132 total routes on the season, and 32.6 percent of those routes came when lined up at in-line tight end. Against the Rams, Graham ran 31 total routes, and just three of them came from the tight-end position, while 90.3 percent of them came lined up either in the slot or out wide. Graham had an overall game grade of 82.0, his best of 2017, and the highest of any Seahawks offensive player versus the Rams.” It paid off in Graham making six catches on eight targets including the Seahawks’ only TD on a play on which he was split out wide.

One byproduct of that was that the Seahawks used their other tight ends quite a bit to get in-line blocking and also used tackle Matt Tobin eight times as an eligible tackle. That allowed Seattle to use Graham outside more. Vannett also played a season-high 29 percent of the snaps and Luke Willson’s 38.2 percent was his second-highest."

Source: https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/sea ... -and-more/

Nice post!

raisethe3

Reaction score
I agree with both statements. I am just puzzled why this hasn't been figured out before.

nategreat":26pr3913 said:
About freaking time.

HawkFan72":26pr3913 said:
I'm just glad they are trying something different.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
OK, what's in the past is in the past, they're trying new things, now they have two full weeks to review and implement, and THIS IS REALLY ENCOURAGING!!!

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
But watch... they'll revert back to their old ways, Now that they figured out what works, they'll abandon it.

I mean, somebody was going to say it... right?

Seymour

Reaction score
Coming to a stadium near you.....Next game the Seahawks are going to experiment with scoring a touchdown on the opening drive for the first time in 18 games. :2thumbs:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":3biztr22 said:
Coming to a stadium near you.....Next game the Seahawks are going to experiment with scoring a touchdown on the opening drive for the first time in 18 games. :2thumbs:

Let's not get too crazy.

The 2017 Seattle Seahawks: "We're allergic to 1st half TD's"

Hawks46

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3mhfc27p said:

I don't usually consider us to be smarter than the coaching staff of the Seahawks, but this is one of those times where the solution seems fairly obvious and Pete's conservative nature held him back from deploying it.

I don't have a problem with him lining up at the Y, but they need to break up the reps. It doesn't make sense to keep Graham in blocking when: A. it drains him of explosiveness having to push against DE's and LBers the entire game and B. he's better off of a safety valve, which is hard for him to get out in the route when the OL gives up pressure in 2.5 seconds and he's blocking for a second.

My problem is that they continually run him at the Y in the red zone, where the field is already condensed. It's easier to double him with a LB and a Safety when no one is afraid of being beaten over the top. Conversely, Graham blocking from the Y gives him a big advantage in a longer field when the LBer has to make a read step or two for a run, then start to backpedal or turn his hips and run with Graham.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawks46":250dilqd said:
MontanaHawk05":250dilqd said:

I don't have a problem with him lining up at the Y, but they need to break up the reps. It doesn't make sense to keep Graham in blocking when: A. it drains him of explosiveness having to push against DE's and LBers the entire game and B. he's better off of a safety valve, which is hard for him to get out in the route when the OL gives up pressure in 2.5 seconds and he's blocking for a second.

My problem is that they continually run him at the Y in the red zone, where the field is already condensed. It's easier to double him with a LB and a Safety when no one is afraid of being beaten over the top. Conversely, Graham blocking from the Y gives him a big advantage in a longer field when the LBer has to make a read step or two for a run, then start to backpedal or turn his hips and run with Graham.

You have to mix it up with Graham, can't just split him out 100% of the time, or else it tips our hand as to run/pass play.

As far as the red zone, I'd like to see Graham go in motion WAY more. It'd make it way harder for defenses to bracket him if he's in motion and moving around the formation.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Hmmm.. Sounds like I read something like that in here before..about freakin time. I remember now the announcer 73 coming in as a eligible receiver and thought it was about time and something we hadn't seen before.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
SNDavidson":acuneukx said:
OK, what's in the past is in the past, they're trying new things, now they have two full weeks to review and implement, and THIS IS REALLY ENCOURAGING!!!
Or Bevell will outsmart himself with two weeks to prep.
Bevell: Our next opponent most likely studied this game and would prepare for Jimmy Graham so we will account for that by using Jimmy as a decoy. However, we have used Jimmy as a decoy before so they must have known that and accounted for it. We should just keep Jimmy off the field on passing downs. That should fool them right?

Bevell is our Vizzini from Princess Bride.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":1uqf0bm5 said:

Now there is an experiment I could get down with, and totally support.

Finally the team has started to realize Graham is a mismatch if used properly. As said above what took them so long to figure this out.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Showcasing him to try and generate trade interest. In doing so they will completely miss how he can make it easier for them to win games.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
I think this has more to do with finally have two healthy and capable tight ends to block in NV and LW. The tight end position has finally stabilized.

chris98251

Reaction score
I think it's how did the Saints use him and why did he try to get a contract based on WR scale and not TE.

Only took a few years for Bevell to think about maybe we should look at what made him successful in the first place.