Future Hall of Famers

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
In this era, who do you have as future Hall of Famers? First ballot or not.

Here's my "For Sure" list (not necessarily in order):

Earl Thomas
Richard Sherman

My "Has A Good Chance" list:

Kam Chancellor
Russell Wilson

My "Should But May Not Make It" list:

Marshawn Lynch
Michael Bennett
Doug Baldwin
Jimmy Graham
Bobby Wagner

Erebus

Reaction score
I thought Bobby Wagner has a good shot, but it doesn’t help his cause if his own fan base overlooks him.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I thought Wagner honestly and was going to add him to my "Should But May Not Make It" list. Actually, I will add him.

Now having said that, the problem Wagner faces is he's not flashy. He doesn't get mainstream media attention. He just balls out and does his job better than most. Sadly, not enough. Kuechly will get the nod over BWags. Sad but likely true.

If he had a robust personality, loved the media and camera, I bet you ten paychecks he would have a good shot at the HoF.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Aros":33ze38ol said:

Earl Thomas
Richard Sherman

Kam Chancellor
Russell Wilson

Marshawn Lynch
Michael Bennett
Doug Baldwin
Jimmy Graham
Bobby Wagner
I think Sherm and Earl will be first ballot HOF'ers.
Baldwin, Kam, and Wilson will solidify their spots with another Lombardi.

I think Beastmode will get in though on the second try.

The rest are up in the air IMHO.

Osprey

Reaction score
Aros":2ec98060 said:

Earl Thomas
Richard Sherman
A couple more years of even mediocre performance and should happen.

Kam Chancellor
Russell Wilson
Chancellor will have to have a couple more standout years to have a decent shot.
Wilson will have to play at a high level for 8-10 more years given the jump in QB longevity. Could get in with less than that if he adds a couple Lombardis.

Marshawn Lynch
Michael Bennett
Doug Baldwin
Jimmy Graham
Bobby Wagner
I think the bar is too high for these positions and in truth these guys are just really good. If the HOF is about all-time greats don't see how they make it.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Aros":yv9ocd10 said:

Earl Thomas
Richard Sherman

Kam Chancellor
Russell Wilson

Marshawn Lynch
Michael Bennett
Doug Baldwin
Jimmy Graham
Bobby Wagner

Think you're spot on with Thomas and Sherman, and if he plays at this level, Wagner.

Wilson and Baldwin won't get in as we don't pass it enough, and haven't passed it enough to start their careers.

Lynch might get in if he makes some statistical milestones, but I don't think he's doing himself any favors right now. Not a great last impression, although his last year in Seattle wasn't any better.

I love Bennett, but he won't have the stats to get into the HOF.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Aros":3qtsatnt said:
I thought Wagner honestly and was going to add him to my "Should But May Not Make It" list. Actually, I will add him.

Now having said that, the problem Wagner faces is he's not flashy. He doesn't get mainstream media attention. He just balls out and does his job better than most. Sadly, not enough. Kuechly will get the nod over BWags. Sad but likely true.

If he had a robust personality, loved the media and camera, I bet you ten paychecks he would have a good shot at the HoF.

One reason I just love Wags.. has one job, does it.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Hawks46":2x4pbffl said:
Wilson and Baldwin won't get in as we don't pass it enough, and haven't passed it enough to start their careers.

I see what you are saying but Wilson could easily make the HoF not by passing stats but by how dynamic, magical he plays where people simply can't ignore his contributions to the game. I agree that he may need another ring or two to really solidify his spot but if he continues to play as well as he has so far, for the rest of his career I would say it's almost a lock.

This generation's Fran Tarkenton!

Osprey

Reaction score
Aros":15rzuwxt said:
Hawks46":15rzuwxt said:

I see what you are saying but Wilson could easily make the HoF not by passing stats but by how dynamic, magical he plays where people simply can't ignore his contributions to the game. I agree that he may need another ring or two to really solidify his spot but if he continues to play as well as he has so far, for the rest of his career I would say it's almost a lock.

This generation's Fran Tarkenton!
How long do you think that career needs to be?
Sure seems like longevity has taken a leap with the current QBs. Will the Wilson magic be there when he's 35+ ?

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Osprey":2dog5ia7 said:
How long do you think that career needs to be? Sure seems like longevity has taken a leap with the current QBs. Will the Wilson magic be there when he's 35+ ?

With no more Super Bowl wins I would say he needs to play until he's 38+ at his current level to have any chance.

If he wins another Super Bowl or two within the next 8 years then I would say that's all he needs to do to solidify his bust in Canton.

Rat

Reaction score
I like Chancellor as much as I like anyone on the team, but I really don't see him as some all-time great with a Canton trajectory. Safetys already have trouble getting in, which doesn't help, but I suppose guys like Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu could improve the perception of the position.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
Russell Wilson is the first African American QB to lead his team to and win a super bowl, playing every game. Doug Williams was the other, but the team was like 11-2 without him. He was 0-2 as a starter in the regular season, but ignited in the playoffs. Interestingly enough, it was against a Broncos team, and the score was 42-10. Ours was 43-8.

Russell went back the next year and has been 'deep' in the playoffs each year of his career. Now, we have a couple other hall of farmers on this team, on the defense, that made this possible. But you still can't ignore Russell's draft selection, #75, in a class that was deemed the best since 1985, and his record setting Rookie numbers. He's been productive every year, and he may even get better with more opportunities to pass. He's outperform his classmates and is one of the most dynamic players in the NFL. There's just not another like him.

Russell Wilson, I submit, will be a hall of fame player. If he even makes two more Super Bowls, regardless of outcome, he's a lock.

------

Earl Thomas could retire tomorrow and be worthy. He's the best I've ever seen.

------

Richard Sherman has talked (and backed it up) his way into the hall.

------

Bobby Wagner will have the numbers, but will the voters know who he is? If they don't, they should have their right to vote on such matters revoked.

------

Kam Chancellor. Outsiders chance. He SHOULD have been the MVP of 48. That would help his case. I believe his holdout cost us home field. The voters won't care about that, but history does. We play at home, we roll into our third straight super bowl, and that puts the three remaining LOB as locks, with the scoring and defensive records we hold. The rest is gravy on top.

------

Jimmy Graham. Had his pace--lost it.

------

Doug Baldwin. He deserves ring of honor, but he'll never even sniff the hall. Too much competition.

------

Marshawn Lynch. Too much competition, one missed hand off kept him out. Also deserves ring of honor.

------

It's nice have this many players to talk about. And don't look now, Frank Clark is the future. Possible?

BC-Hawk

Reaction score
Earl without a doubt, one of the best of all-time. Yesterday was just a small sample of his greatness. It'll be a crime if he's kept out.

Erebus

Reaction score
KARAVARUS":1jy9uqeh said:
Bobby Wagner will have the numbers, but will the voters know who he is? If they don't, they should have their right to vote on such matters revoked.

------

Kam Chancellor. Outsiders chance. He SHOULD have been the MVP of 48. That would help his case. I believe his holdout cost us home field. The voters won't care about that, but history does. We play at home, we roll into our third straight super bowl, and that puts the three remaining LOB as locks, with the scoring and defensive records we hold. The rest is gravy on top.

This is a little off topic to the thread, but there's just no way we get HFA in 2015 if Kam doesn't hold out. We were 10-6. The Panthers were 15-1 and Cardinals were 13-3. We win those two games he held out (which weren't against CAR or ARI) and that's 12-4, still 3 games behind Carolina and second in our division to the 13-3 Cardinals.

Now back on topic, I don't believe Chancellor makes it, for the same reason I don't think Marshawn makes it and the reason I think Wagner actually does. Hype and media attention don't matter nearly as much anymore as they did in the 70s and 80s. That was the days before the internet and before stats were readily available to everyone. Back then players like Lynn Swann were voted in just because of a few famous playoff plays. Nowadays you need a little bit of national acknowledgement (although Tez didn't have any), but career statistics and accolades are much more highly scrutinized. Wagner's prominent role in a historically great defense is enough to get some attention. After that, his stats, Pro Bowls, and All Pros back up his case much more than Chancellor's do. And according to PFF's ratings, he's been the best defensive player in the league so far this year, well on his way to another All Pro nod.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
Erebus":15id4did said:
KARAVARUS":15id4did said:

------

This is a little off topic to the thread, but there's just no way we get HFA in 2015 if Kam doesn't hold out. We were 10-6. The Panthers were 15-1 and Cardinals were 13-3. We win those two games he held out (which weren't against CAR or ARI) and that's 12-4, still 3 games behind Carolina and second in our division to the 13-3 Cardinals.

Now back on topic, I don't believe Chancellor makes it, for the same reason I don't think Marshawn makes it and the reason I think Wagner actually does. Hype and media attention don't matter nearly as much anymore as they did in the 70s and 80s. That was the days before the internet and before stats were readily available to everyone. Back then players like Lynn Swann were voted in just because of a few famous playoff plays. Nowadays you need a little bit of national acknowledgement (although Tez didn't have any), but career statistics and accolades are much more highly scrutinized. Wagner's prominent role in a historically great defense is enough to get some attention. After that, his stats, Pro Bowls, and All Pros back up his case much more than Chancellor's do. And according to PFF's ratings, he's been the best defensive player in the league so far this year, well on his way to another All Pro nod.

I guess my point was, in my opinion, we were lost as a team and that affected our entire season. We may not have had home field throughout, but we may have had a home game or certainly changed the alignment of the playoff bracket. Our team wasnt whole all year. You're free to have a differing, opinion, of course. :)

Erebus

Reaction score
KARAVARUS":lew4o5u4 said:
I guess my point was, in my opinion, we were lost as a team and that affected our entire season. We may not have had home field throughout, but we may have had a home game or certainly changed the alignment of the playoff bracket. Our team wasnt whole all year. You're free to have a differing, opinion, of course. :)

Yeah I get that. But there were a lot of things wrong with team chemistry coming off the way we lost the SB. Kam's holdout was one of just many things to go wrong.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
Aros":3mk4h84u said:
Osprey":3mk4h84u said:
How long do you think that career needs to be? Sure seems like longevity has taken a leap with the current QBs. Will the Wilson magic be there when he's 35+ ?

With no more Super Bowl wins I would say he needs to play until he's 38+ at his current level to have any chance.

If he wins another Super Bowl or two within the next 8 years then I would say that's all he needs to do to solidify his bust in Canton.
Wilson's career won't last past 31 years of age if they don't protect him. If they can get him an offensive line that even resembles a pro level he has a shot.

Lynch could get in if Oakland wins an Owl before he's done. That would show his impact as a player. Right now? It's not looking good for that.

I think we all feel Sherm and ET will make it with Wagner having a deserving chance. The rest would surprise me.

This same discussion was tossed around during the 2005 success and the names for a shoe in were Alexander, Jones, & Hutch.The should-be's were Hass, Tatupu, Strong, & D-Jack. Jones is in and Hutch will probably make it but the rest? Doubtful.I think Alexander would have if he had shown consistant production after Hutch left. But he didn't. So, with that said, don't be surprised if Sherm & ET are the only ones from this team to make it.

Hawk Finn

Reaction score
Four things:

1) Aros - great first post. Welcome to .Net!

B) Chancellor would have been a worthy pick as MVP of XLVIII, but Avril’s play was off the charts. Without his constant pressure, the entire complexion of that game changes. Perhaps not the outcome, but surely the competition.

Apple) I won’t speculate on which ballot since this isn’t baseball and doesn’t really matter, but I suspect that all three remaining LOB members make it eventually. Jimmy might if he is rescued by another franchise sooner rather than later. Wilson is a long shot without multiple rings, given how easily he is dismissed by non-Seattlites (Seattlonians?) presently. If he’s not taken seriously as an elite QB now, I don’t see it happening in hindsight. Everyone else falls in the category of “fine player, but no HOF”. I hope you all took notes.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I really think Earl Thomas has the best shot. Most important player on the the top defense of the teens (sorry broncos and panthers). After that it's a crapshoot for Sherman, Chancellor, Wagner, Bennett. Sherman's numbers have tailed off the last few years as teams have stayed away from him. He is certainly the greatest boundary corner I've seen since Deion.
Chancellor is one the all time great "in the box" safeties. Up there with Steve Atwater. But his longevity might be reduced because of his physicality. Already seems a step slow this season. Wagner should be a HoFer but no one seems to acknowledge his superlative play in the media. He should have been a top DPOY candidate last year. He's playing lights out again this year and I don't see any mention. But in the end his stats will look pretty good compared to Keuchly. Bennett is a long shot given his numbers.

On offense, it's really only Wilson and Marshawn. Both aren't shoe ins. Wilson needs another SB and some longevity. Marshawn will need a strong presenter in his corner to make his case as the Earl Campbell of his era.

JimmyG

Reaction score
ET - likely to make it, truly an elite difference-maker.

Sherman - could see him making it, an elite corner for many years.

Chancellor - possibly. imo he's good, great even, but not on the transcendental level that ET is.

Wilson - very unlikely. He's never been viewed (by objective rankings, i.e. not a super biased fan board like Seahawks.net) as in the same league as guys like Brees/Brady/Rodgers/Manning. He's always been clearly overshadowed by them. Now, that core group of guys will be gone in a few years. If Wilson elevates his game in his early-mid 30's and asserts himself as truly elite (again, objectively, not according to our board's wishful thinking) and he plays at that level, possibly. He's been trending downwards in the last couple years though, and there are a lot of good, young QBs on the rise that could surpass him. He will always have the stigma of being "carried" in those first two SB. Unless he has some truly iconic moments (maybe like a Flacco playoff run, or a couple of Eli Manning upsets/comebacks), I simply do not see it.

Lynch - possibly. RBs are a little finicky.

Bennett - Only one 10-sack season and only 49.5 sacks for his career (174th all-time). No chance in hell.

Baldwin - imo it's preposterous to even throw his name out there. No. A negative chance. He won't and he doesn't belong.

Graham - if he had sustained his NO dominance after coming to Seattle, maybe. I think his career is too short to make it though. Possibly, but unlikely.

Wagner - Hall of Very Good, but no.

Latest posts