Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

OT Branden Albert works out for Seahawks

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
OT Branden Albert works out for Seahawks
Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:22 pm
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

Brandon Albert workout
Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:24 pm
  • Looks like we worked Brandon Albert out today
    hburn21
    NET Veteran

• Not sure if I like this or hate it... On one hand I like them trying to address weaknesses by any means necessary, on the other hand it paints a picture that no one currently on the roster is an option. It also would start any progress over at least on the left side of the line.
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

• DJrmb wrote:Not sure if I like this or hate it... On one hand I like them trying to address weaknesses by any means necessary, on the other hand it paints a picture that no one currently on the roster is an option. It also would start any progress over at least on the left side of the line.

I guess sometimes, You look at the picture and just miss it entirely I guess.. It's not a secret, the picture has been painted for the last 4 years.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• DJrmb wrote:Not sure if I like this or hate it... On one hand I like them trying to address weaknesses by any means necessary, on the other hand it paints a picture that no one currently on the roster is an option. It also would start any progress over at least on the left side of the line.

Fant's still on the roster. Odhiambo is basically a rookie at LT. I think he's already playing better than Fant was last year.

I also think it's more of a depth move. Pete won't sign Albert and have him come in and hand him a starting job. Plus, Albert would have to get in game shape.

I honestly think this is more about Odhiambo getting knicked up last week and the coaching staff saw the depth at the position and collectively crapped themselves. Best option would be Tobin, or Joekel sliding over and Glowinksi or Tobin moving into LG.

If Albert can play, I like the move. He might not be as physical as Odhiambo, but he's so much more talented and experienced. Plus he could teach Rees and Fant a thing or two about pass blocking, which Cable can't do.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

• Bobblehead wrote:
    DJrmb wrote:Not sure if I like this or hate it... On one hand I like them trying to address weaknesses by any means necessary, on the other hand it paints a picture that no one currently on the roster is an option. It also would start any progress over at least on the left side of the line.

I guess sometimes, You look at the picture and just miss it entirely I guess.. It's not a secret, the picture has been painted for the last 4 years.

They traded for 2 guys that haven't been a part of the painting for the last 4 years in Tobin and Battle and have talked up Battle like some sort of special talent. So yeah, excuse me if I had some level of hope that one of those two could do something if they had lost faith in Odhiambo progressing...
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

• DJrmb wrote:
    Bobblehead wrote:
    DJrmb wrote:Not sure if I like this or hate it... On one hand I like them trying to address weaknesses by any means necessary, on the other hand it paints a picture that no one currently on the roster is an option. It also would start any progress over at least on the left side of the line.

They traded for 2 guys that haven't been a part of the painting for the last 4 years in Tobin and Battle and have talked up Battle like some sort of special talent. So yeah, excuse me if I had some level of hope that one of those two could do something if they had lost faith in Odhiambo progressing...

No offense meant, I'm just fed up with our throw the noodle on the wall approach.. and the "how excited we are about this guy and that guy.. blah blah blah. I just haven't seen this method work in the last 4 years and I don't have any hope that it will work going forward. It comes a time when, yeah, you may actually have to pony up and sacrifice something to achieve something that will actually work before your window closes. As far as I can tell, the only thing that separates us from having a Super bowl type team as opposed to have a chance of winning a wild card spot is a legitimate LT, that can actually do the Tackle job they are suppose to do. SO my apologies to you.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• Why did they trade for Tobin and Battle?
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

Re: Brandon Albert workout
Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:39 pm
  • Looks like he would be a perfect fit here.

Albert is coming off a 2016 campaign in which he posted a career-worst PFF grade of 42.2, which was influenced by injuries as he missed four games during the season.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• I am just surprised we did not look at him sooner. He is better than our current players at tackle. The challenge now is he has been out for a while. Is he in shape, does he really even want to play etc.

If Joeckel were out for a time, you’d like to see Odi slide to LG (a more natural position for him), and stick Albert at LT. Tobin is garbage, and Battle is purely developmental. Need experience, someone that’s actually done something in the league.

We shall see.
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

• Yeah, my biggest question with Albert is his desire and how hard he'll actually work. If he's motivated he's proven to be at least league average if not better (which is far better than we've seen for years here). If we bring him on board I'm hoping that his lack of motivation had more to do with being on crappy teams and less with just being a lazy money grubber.

I think you're right too about sliding Odhiambo inside if Joeckel will miss time.
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

• Hey, kick the tires.

He could at least be at Aboushi's level, which is higher than Rees'.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• I don't trust him. If he signs, it better be for minimum. If he won't take that, then it's about money. He held out in Jacksonville want a new contract while he had 2 years left.

He's wishy-washy and that tells me he doesn't love the game. "I need more money, I'm retiring to take care of my business interests in Miami, I want to come back... His business interests must be floundering.

"Albert was working out in the team facility on the players' day off on July 30, and tight end Marcedes Lewis said he spoke with Albert that day and they talked about the upcoming season.

The veteran lineman returned to the facility the next morning and told head coach Doug Marrone he was retiring.

Albert hasn't played a full season since 2011 when he was with Kansas City, which drafted him 15th overall in 2008. Albert has missed 20 games over the past five seasons, including four last season with the Dolphins."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2027 ... le-jaguars

he Jacksonville Jaguars officially washed their hands of Branden Albert.

The team released the offensive tackle on Friday, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported.

So ends an odd saga for Albert in Jacksonville.

The 32-year-old announced his retirement in late July. Earlier this week, Albert expressed his desire to return, which prompted the Jags to place him on the reserve/retired list.

Friday's release makes Albert a free agent.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... den-albert
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

http://ivotuk.com/
    ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:05 pm
  • I believe he left without a deal.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

• ivotuk wrote:I don't trust him. If he signs, it better be for minimum. If he won't take that, then it's about money. He held out in Jacksonville want a new contract while he had 2 years left.

He's wishy-washy and that tells me he doesn't love the game. "I need more money, I'm retiring to take care of my business interests in Miami, I want to come back... His business interests must be floundering.

"Albert was working out in the team facility on the players' day off on July 30, and tight end Marcedes Lewis said he spoke with Albert that day and they talked about the upcoming season.

The veteran lineman returned to the facility the next morning and told head coach Doug Marrone he was retiring.

Albert hasn't played a full season since 2011 when he was with Kansas City, which drafted him 15th overall in 2008. Albert has missed 20 games over the past five seasons, including four last season with the Dolphins."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2027 ... le-jaguars

he Jacksonville Jaguars officially washed their hands of Branden Albert.

The team released the offensive tackle on Friday, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported.

So ends an odd saga for Albert in Jacksonville.

The 32-year-old announced his retirement in late July. Earlier this week, Albert expressed his desire to return, which prompted the Jags to place him on the reserve/retired list.

Friday's release makes Albert a free agent.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... den-albert

I definitely hear you on this and this is definitely the big fear with Albert and likely why he's sitting at home in a league starved for decent offensive linemen. One thing that helps with this is that the season has already started and he can be signed with nothing guaranteed. We could basically sign him on a game by game contract, if he and his agent are really looking to sign somewhere and not just trying to bait a team. I'd even consider giving him more money than Vet minimum as long as none of it is guaranteed and we could cut him anytime.
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

• I hope this is just their weekly kick the tires tryout and has nothing to do with Joeckle's procedure.
    Thomas Paine: To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

• Hawks46 wrote:

Fant's still on the roster. Odhiambo is basically a rookie at LT. I think he's already playing better than Fant was last year.

I also think it's more of a depth move. Pete won't sign Albert and have him come in and hand him a starting job. Plus, Albert would have to get in game shape.

I honestly think this is more about Odhiambo getting knicked up last week and the coaching staff saw the depth at the position and collectively crapped themselves. Best option would be Tobin, or Joekel sliding over and Glowinksi or Tobin moving into LG.

If Albert can play, I like the move. He might not be as physical as Odhiambo, but he's so much more talented and experienced. Plus he could teach Rees and Fant a thing or two about pass blocking, which Cable can't do.

I think Pete, Cable and our capable GM are buying some insurance/backup in case Joekel takes longer to get back after his surgery, Odhiambo may still be hurting a bit, the two backups to Odhiambo, ie Tobin and Battle aren't ready.
    toffee
    NET Rookie

Seahawks4life
    NET Rookie

• ivotuk wrote:I don't trust him. If he signs, it better be for minimum. If he won't take that, then it's about money. He held out in Jacksonville want a new contract while he had 2 years left.

Given what has come out in recent years in regards to long-term health issues associated with professional football, a lot of players have been justifiably considering retirement despite a love of the game. I don't know if that's the case with Albert, but I'd be surprised if it didn't at least play a small role. CTE is scary stuff.

I wish he was a 26-year-old All-Pro too, but if he was, he wouldn't be available. This feels like a beggars and choosers situation to me.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

• Seahawks4life wrote:

Gonna trade a pick for Brown and give him a new contract? Do they have the cap space to make it happen? I don't really care about losing the pick. They are horrid at drafting OL
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

• Hey if working him out gets us a deal with Brown then heck yes. Otherwise I'm trying to understand why a guy coming off his career worst season would hold out when most dudes would be sweating getting cut?
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

• Seahawks4life wrote:

This is the same guy which called the Nick Foles trade to the Rams 2 weeks before it happens. I believe him when he says Duane Brown is our target
    FIRE PETE CARROLL!!!!
    Jim Harbaugh to Seattle 2018!
    ludakrishna
    NET Veteran

• Maybe they will trade Jimmy to the Texans for Duane Brown. That would solve the obvious cap room issue
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

• I like the move for either player. I believe Albert wants to play for a contender. He isn't great, but he is an average, experienced tackle, which would be an upgrade. I'm concerned that he hasn't played a full season since 2011. There is a good chance that the time on the couch has convinced him he isn't getting his full contract value, and he might be willing to play for a little less for a contender. He would be low risk since we can cut him at any point and only pay for the games played.
    Fire Tom Cable
    bigskydoc
    NET Veteran

• I like the part "is working as intended"
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• Missing_Clink wrote:Maybe they will trade Jimmy to the Texans for Duane Brown. That would solve the obvious cap room issue

With 2 DL injuries, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a straight up Michael Bennett for Duane Brown swap. Both team shore up their weakness.
    FIRE PETE CARROLL!!!!
    ludakrishna
    NET Veteran

• Listening to Pete's presser, he just said 'we did it' when asked about working Branden out and if it's something they would do.

Not exactly sure what he meant - maybe 'we did it' = visit or 'we did it' = deal?
    LolaRox
    NET Veteran

• LolaRox wrote:Listening to Pete's presser, he just said 'we did it' when asked about working Branden out and if it's something they would do.

Not exactly sure what he meant - maybe 'we did it' = visit or 'we did it' = deal?

In context of the question, Pete just confirmed that they had him in for a workout. Nothing about a deal.
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• Wow the guy signed a $53million contract and is sitting out with 2 years left

I really wonder how much he wants to be paid.
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• bigskydoc wrote:I like the move for either player. I believe Albert wants to play for a contender. He isn't great, but he is an average, experienced tackle, which would be an upgrade. I'm concerned that he hasn't played a full season since 2011. There is a good chance that the time on the couch has convinced him he isn't getting his full contract value, and he might be willing to play for a little less for a contender. He would be low risk since we can cut him at any point and only pay for the games played.

My bro lives in Jacksonville and a Jags fan and he told me weeks ago how glad he was that they rid themselves of Albert. Everyone down there hates him and have it on good word that he's a lost cause.
    FormerEvil
    NET Rookie

Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:46 pm
  • Seymour wrote:Looks like he would be a perfect fit here.

Albert is coming off a 2016 campaign in which he posted a career-worst PFF grade of 42.2, which was influenced by injuries as he missed four games during the season.

so about twice as good as Rees has been... sold.
    Danny Darko
    NET Starter

• mikeak wrote:Wow the guy signed a $53million contract and is sitting out with 2 years left

I really wonder how much he wants to be paid.

Russell Okung is the highest paid LT in the game. Duane Brown is a much better player. I would think the floor is $13.25M/year
    FIRE PETE CARROLL!!!!
    ludakrishna
    NET Veteran

In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• Rat wrote:
    ivotuk wrote:I don't trust him. If he signs, it better be for minimum. If he won't take that, then it's about money. He held out in Jacksonville want a new contract while he had 2 years left.

Given what has come out in recent years in regards to long-term health issues associated with professional football, a lot of players have been justifiably considering retirement despite a love of the game. I don't know if that's the case with Albert, but I'd be surprised if it didn't at least play a small role. CTE is scary stuff.

I wish he was a 26-year-old All-Pro too, but if he was, he wouldn't be available. This feels like a beggars and choosers situation to me.

I'd be happy with a 30 year old, beyond his prime, Left Tackle, if he was just dependable.

After a decade plus of playing football, and at 32 with recent injuries, I don't think he could stay on the field. And that might be the reason he "retired," the aches and pains were too much. But trying to hold out for more money? Something's rotten there.

"I need more money. "No? I'm retiring." "I need more money, can I come back?" I think the smart thing for him would be to retire. He's had a great career, made a lot of money, and if he tries to play, it will only taint his legacy.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

http://ivotuk.com/
    ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

• So much love for offensive linemen. Here are three more due diligence work outs from last week ......
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• Lane our 1st for Brown and the Texans 2nd would be nice.
    Wenhawk
    NET Veteran

• Wenhawk wrote:Lane our 1st for Brown and the Texans 2nd would be nice.

If he also re-signs for 4 years total so he stays happy for at least 2
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• Willie Beavers is a cool name.
    el capitan
    NET Veteran

• Hawks46 wrote:

Joeckel is playing well at LG no reason to move him he's been the 2nd best lineman this year behind Britt. Would rather see Tobin at LT.

.... Actually I would rather just sign a proven LT that can play the position but I know there isn't alot of options out there.

Fant's injury was super unfortunate. At least with everyone getting a chance to play they might have time to develop into something better.

I.e. Ifedi who is showing improvement.
    NFSeahawks628
    NET Veteran

Location: Born: Tacoma, WA Current Location: Tally, Seminole Country (Road Hawk)

• Wenhawk wrote:Lane our 1st for Brown and the Texans 2nd would be nice.

Could happen. We'll be picking low and the Texans high, so you're talking about a jump of 15-20 spots, where the talent gap isn't as pronounced as it would be if we were picking Top 20, and Lane isn't much of a throw-in. But if Brown really has them over that big of a barrel, who knows what they'd accept.
    GO HAWKS!!!

MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    Wenhawk wrote:Lane our 1st for Brown and the Texans 2nd would be nice.

Could happen. We'll be picking low and the Texans high, so you're talking about a jump of 15-20 spots, where the talent gap isn't as pronounced as it would be if we were picking Top 20, and Lane isn't much of a throw-in. But if Brown really has them over that big of a barrel, who knows what they'd accept.

??

Houston is a playoff team so we will both be picking low. A 1st for a 2nd will be about a full round dropped
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• Albert has left Seattle without a deal.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• mikeak wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    Wenhawk wrote:Lane our 1st for Brown and the Texans 2nd would be nice.

??

Houston is a playoff team so we will both be picking low. A 1st for a 2nd will be about a full round dropped

I seriously doubt Houston reaches the playoffs after what just happened to their defensive line. 8-8, maybe.
    GO HAWKS!!!

MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• Sgt. Largent wrote:Albert has left Seattle without a deal.

Wondering if it was Money, Talent or a combination of the two?
    HawkerD
    NET Starter

• NFSeahawks628 wrote:
    Hawks46 wrote:

Joeckel is playing well at LG no reason to move him he's been the 2nd best lineman this year behind Britt. Would rather see Tobin at LT.

.... Actually I would rather just sign a proven LT that can play the position but I know there isn't alot of options out there.

Fant's injury was super unfortunate. At least with everyone getting a chance to play they might have time to develop into something better.

I.e. Ifedi who is showing improvement.

Oh I agree...Joeckel doesn't quite have good enough feet for LT, which seems odd because one would think that would be scouted pretty heavily after he was universally touted as one of the top 2 LT's in that draft class. I'd like him where he is, but the problem is that if Odhiambo goes down, he's the guy on the squad with the most experience at LT.

Tobin would be an option as well, but Joeckel would make more sense. It's also why the Hawks paid him 8 mil/year. I theorize that Joeckel was the contingency plan if Fant/Rees/Chucklehead A didn't work out.

Anyways, I'd like to see what we can do with Brown. Cable doesn't teach prioritize pass protection, so we'd get a LT that's already beyond Cable's ability to teach. I firmly believe Cable can do pretty well with interior OL, just not Tackles. Maybe a draft pick and Lane. Hell, I'd be ok with our 1st rounder. Duane Brown is better than any LT we could draft in the 1st anyways. That seems like a no brainer, just need to make the money work.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

• HawkerD wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:Albert has left Seattle without a deal.

Who knows. The speculation all along as to why Albert remained unsigned throughout the offseason and now regular season is he's looking for a specific dollar amount, and no one so far is willing to pay it.

Also could be he's not in very good shape, and we're not going to pay a guy to come in here and stink up the joint for the rest of the season cause he's not ready to go.

If I had to guess? It's more #1. 75% of teams could use a good tackle, so no reason SOMEONE hasn't signed Albert yet, other than he's asking too much.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    HawkerD wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:Albert has left Seattle without a deal.

Who knows. The speculation all along as to why Albert remained unsigned throughout the offseason and now regular season is he's looking for a specific dollar amount, and no one so far is willing to pay it.

Also could be he's not in very good shape, and we're not going to pay a guy to come in here and stink up the joint for the rest of the season cause he's not ready to go.

If I had to guess? It's more #1. 75% of teams could use a good tackle, so no reason SOMEONE hasn't signed Albert yet, other than he's asking too much.

Apparently he's still in town. And has had some recent twitter activity which weighs in that something is happening. Possibly with the Hawks. Outside of a miracle Brown signing picking up Albert would be a considerable upgrade over what we have currently have at the LT position.
    https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle?ref ... r%5Eauthor
    RCATES
    NET Rookie

• Wonder why they never brought in G John Greco for a workout? Saints signed him last week after a OL got injured. Jahri Evans all over again. :irishdrinkers:
    massari
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:52 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information