OT Branden Albert works out for Seahawks

DJrmb

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/917498751048212481[/tweet]

hburn21

Reaction score
Looks like we worked Brandon Albert out today[tweet]https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/917498751048212481[/tweet]

OP
OP
DJrmb

DJrmb

Reaction score
Not sure if I like this or hate it... On one hand I like them trying to address weaknesses by any means necessary, on the other hand it paints a picture that no one currently on the roster is an option. It also would start any progress over at least on the left side of the line.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
DJrmb":5cdsus13 said:
Not sure if I like this or hate it... On one hand I like them trying to address weaknesses by any means necessary, on the other hand it paints a picture that no one currently on the roster is an option. It also would start any progress over at least on the left side of the line.

I guess sometimes, You look at the picture and just miss it entirely I guess.. It's not a secret, the picture has been painted for the last 4 years.

Hawks46

Reaction score
DJrmb":2a4mmr7f said:

Fant's still on the roster. Odhiambo is basically a rookie at LT. I think he's already playing better than Fant was last year.

I also think it's more of a depth move. Pete won't sign Albert and have him come in and hand him a starting job. Plus, Albert would have to get in game shape.

I honestly think this is more about Odhiambo getting knicked up last week and the coaching staff saw the depth at the position and collectively crapped themselves. Best option would be Tobin, or Joekel sliding over and Glowinksi or Tobin moving into LG.

If Albert can play, I like the move. He might not be as physical as Odhiambo, but he's so much more talented and experienced. Plus he could teach Rees and Fant a thing or two about pass blocking, which Cable can't do.

OP
OP
DJrmb

DJrmb

Reaction score
Bobblehead":2d81eu9p said:
DJrmb":2d81eu9p said:

I guess sometimes, You look at the picture and just miss it entirely I guess.. It's not a secret, the picture has been painted for the last 4 years.
They traded for 2 guys that haven't been a part of the painting for the last 4 years in Tobin and Battle and have talked up Battle like some sort of special talent. So yeah, excuse me if I had some level of hope that one of those two could do something if they had lost faith in Odhiambo progressing...

Bobblehead

Reaction score
DJrmb":2iw5890u said:
Bobblehead":2iw5890u said:
DJrmb":2iw5890u said:

They traded for 2 guys that haven't been a part of the painting for the last 4 years in Tobin and Battle and have talked up Battle like some sort of special talent. So yeah, excuse me if I had some level of hope that one of those two could do something if they had lost faith in Odhiambo progressing...

No offense meant, I'm just fed up with our throw the noodle on the wall approach.. and the "how excited we are about this guy and that guy.. blah blah blah. I just haven't seen this method work in the last 4 years and I don't have any hope that it will work going forward. It comes a time when, yeah, you may actually have to pony up and sacrifice something to achieve something that will actually work before your window closes. As far as I can tell, the only thing that separates us from having a Super bowl type team as opposed to have a chance of winning a wild card spot is a legitimate LT, that can actually do the Tackle job they are suppose to do. SO my apologies to you.

Seymour

Reaction score
Looks like he would be a perfect fit here.

Albert is coming off a 2016 campaign in which he posted a career-worst PFF grade of 42.2, which was influenced by injuries as he missed four games during the season.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
I am just surprised we did not look at him sooner. He is better than our current players at tackle. The challenge now is he has been out for a while. Is he in shape, does he really even want to play etc.

If Joeckel were out for a time, you’d like to see Odi slide to LG (a more natural position for him), and stick Albert at LT. Tobin is garbage, and Battle is purely developmental. Need experience, someone that’s actually done something in the league.

We shall see.

OP
OP
DJrmb

DJrmb

Reaction score
Yeah, my biggest question with Albert is his desire and how hard he'll actually work. If he's motivated he's proven to be at least league average if not better (which is far better than we've seen for years here). If we bring him on board I'm hoping that his lack of motivation had more to do with being on crappy teams and less with just being a lazy money grubber.

I think you're right too about sliding Odhiambo inside if Joeckel will miss time.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Hey, kick the tires.

He could at least be at Aboushi's level, which is higher than Rees'.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I don't trust him. If he signs, it better be for minimum. If he won't take that, then it's about money. He held out in Jacksonville want a new contract while he had 2 years left.

He's wishy-washy and that tells me he doesn't love the game. "I need more money, I'm retiring to take care of my business interests in Miami, I want to come back... His business interests must be floundering.

"Albert was working out in the team facility on the players' day off on July 30, and tight end Marcedes Lewis said he spoke with Albert that day and they talked about the upcoming season.

The veteran lineman returned to the facility the next morning and told head coach Doug Marrone he was retiring.

Albert hasn't played a full season since 2011 when he was with Kansas City, which drafted him 15th overall in 2008. Albert has missed 20 games over the past five seasons, including four last season with the Dolphins."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2027 ... le-jaguars

he Jacksonville Jaguars officially washed their hands of Branden Albert.

The team released the offensive tackle on Friday, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported.

So ends an odd saga for Albert in Jacksonville.

The 32-year-old announced his retirement in late July. Earlier this week, Albert expressed his desire to return, which prompted the Jags to place him on the reserve/retired list.

Friday's release makes Albert a free agent.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... den-albert

OP
OP
DJrmb

DJrmb

Reaction score
ivotuk":2rldblor said:
I don't trust him. If he signs, it better be for minimum. If he won't take that, then it's about money. He held out in Jacksonville want a new contract while he had 2 years left.

He's wishy-washy and that tells me he doesn't love the game. "I need more money, I'm retiring to take care of my business interests in Miami, I want to come back... His business interests must be floundering.

"Albert was working out in the team facility on the players' day off on July 30, and tight end Marcedes Lewis said he spoke with Albert that day and they talked about the upcoming season.

The veteran lineman returned to the facility the next morning and told head coach Doug Marrone he was retiring.

Albert hasn't played a full season since 2011 when he was with Kansas City, which drafted him 15th overall in 2008. Albert has missed 20 games over the past five seasons, including four last season with the Dolphins."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2027 ... le-jaguars

he Jacksonville Jaguars officially washed their hands of Branden Albert.

The team released the offensive tackle on Friday, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported.

So ends an odd saga for Albert in Jacksonville.

The 32-year-old announced his retirement in late July. Earlier this week, Albert expressed his desire to return, which prompted the Jags to place him on the reserve/retired list.

Friday's release makes Albert a free agent.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... den-albert

I definitely hear you on this and this is definitely the big fear with Albert and likely why he's sitting at home in a league starved for decent offensive linemen. One thing that helps with this is that the season has already started and he can be signed with nothing guaranteed. We could basically sign him on a game by game contract, if he and his agent are really looking to sign somewhere and not just trying to bait a team. I'd even consider giving him more money than Vet minimum as long as none of it is guaranteed and we could cut him anytime.

Seafan

Reaction score
I hope this is just their weekly kick the tires tryout and has nothing to do with Joeckle's procedure.

toffee

Reaction score
Hawks46":3ur39r52 said:
DJrmb":3ur39r52 said:

Fant's still on the roster. Odhiambo is basically a rookie at LT. I think he's already playing better than Fant was last year.

I also think it's more of a depth move. Pete won't sign Albert and have him come in and hand him a starting job. Plus, Albert would have to get in game shape.

I honestly think this is more about Odhiambo getting knicked up last week and the coaching staff saw the depth at the position and collectively crapped themselves. Best option would be Tobin, or Joekel sliding over and Glowinksi or Tobin moving into LG.

If Albert can play, I like the move. He might not be as physical as Odhiambo, but he's so much more talented and experienced. Plus he could teach Rees and Fant a thing or two about pass blocking, which Cable can't do.

I think Pete, Cable and our capable GM are buying some insurance/backup in case Joekel takes longer to get back after his surgery, Odhiambo may still be hurting a bit, the two backups to Odhiambo, ie Tobin and Battle aren't ready.

Rat

Reaction score
ivotuk":399u0f3h said:

Given what has come out in recent years in regards to long-term health issues associated with professional football, a lot of players have been justifiably considering retirement despite a love of the game. I don't know if that's the case with Albert, but I'd be surprised if it didn't at least play a small role. CTE is scary stuff.

I wish he was a 26-year-old All-Pro too, but if he was, he wouldn't be available. This feels like a beggars and choosers situation to me.