Bevell's trick play

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Did anyone else watch the replay and see how much room McEvoy had to run to his right? It was wide open. Once they broke thru, he shouldn't have considered throwing that pass he did.

mikeak

Reaction score
The issue I had with the play is to ask a non-qb throw it that far across the field

If it was straight up that is one thing but across like that? He won't have the same decision making process and tools like a QB. He is much likelier to just throw it and then that is a way risky throw

themunn

Reaction score
mikeak":3fpeq7ol said:
The issue I had with the play is to ask a non-qb throw it that far across the field

If it was straight up that is one thing but across like that? He won't have the same decision making process and tools like a QB. He is much likelier to just throw it and then that is a way risky throw

He was a college QB thought right? He won't have the same skills as an Nfl qb but should be experienced enough to make that throw

mikeak

Reaction score
themunn":hq19q6of said:
mikeak":hq19q6of said:

He was a college QB thought right? He won't have the same skills as an Nfl qb but should be experienced enough to make that throw

It was not an easy throw, it was FAR - no he does not have enough experience to throw that into triple coverage

Most such non-qb throws are into single coverage or to wide open players straight. To go across the field like that leaving it in the air for so long is designing a play that you are begging to get intercepted

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
mikeak":o24dg0qt said:

The pass was actually fine accuracy wise, it was just way to late because once again the left tackle got blown up and Mcevoy had to dodge a tackle before throwing it.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
When the blew up the play, he should have ran it, period. He lobbed it up there WAY after the receiver was open.

Hawks46

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1ex76hce said:
Same play we ran with McEvoy and Prosise in New Orleans last year.

If McEvoy throws it on time, that is a 30-yard gain. He waited too long.

Yup, waited too long and put too much air under it.

Like another poster said, with his speed McEvoy had 15 yards on the ground there.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Tanner took too long to throw it. They had the match-up and the space they wanted, it's just that the safety had time to get back over the top of it while Tanner was evading the rush from his left. If Tanner doesn't have to reset his feet, the pass hits to McKissic for a huge play, possibly even a TD with how much space he had.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
It was a good read by the safety. If the safety bites on the trick play, that's an easy TD. Once McEvoy saw the safety didn't bite, he should not have thrown it.

King Dog

Reaction score
I'm not putting any of it on McEvoy. He wasn't a very good college QB. The play was called, he did the best he could, it didn't work out. Oh well. He had a sweet one last year though.

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
WestcoastSteve":3jjateev said:
I loved the call, hated the execution

I agree with you. I am almost hoping that Bevell calls a play similar to that every play so we can move the ball down the field.

xgeoff

Reaction score
Anyone see how Odhiambo whiffed on a block so that McEvoy was under pressure? That guy is complete and utter garbage.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
bevellisthedevil":39uxot19 said:
WestcoastSteve":39uxot19 said:
I loved the call, hated the execution

I agree with you. I am almost hoping that Bevell calls a play similar to that every play so we can move the ball down the field.

But... but... then he'd be getting "cute," and we all know how awful "cute" is for an OC. Is it as awful as "predictable?" You make the call.

The play-call was fun and unexpected, but as has been said so many times, the execution has to have the personnel to carry it out. If our line cannot block for McEvoy, then the play fails. And thus it did.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mikeak":8b1kf009 said:

Did you have an issue when Jon Ryan threw a TD to an offensive lineman in a playoff game?

Why do people only have "issues" when the play doesn't work? Seems disingenuous. You want Bevell to be creative, he was creative. But only creative in hindsight when it works!