ESPN: A trade for Duane Brown wouldn't be easy to pull off

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
It would have to be for Jimmy $$$ wise. Contracts would end up a wash that way basically.

DJrmb

Reaction score
He's holding out for more money right? Why would he come back and play just because he got traded to another team? Any deal that gets done will have to come with an extension and more money on his contract, not just paying him his current contract. I don't know that Seattle has the money long term to pay him what it would take. He's already making basically 10M per year. He'll probably want that bumped up to 13M per year to play...

RussB

Reaction score
Hes not going to play for the texans i think hes made that clear. And they arent going to pay him, he will be cut or traded.

kidhawk

Reaction score
DJrmb":2uscxvwj said:
He's holding out for more money right? Why would he come back and play just because he got traded to another team? Any deal that gets done will have to come with an extension and more money on his contract, not just paying him his current contract. I don't know that Seattle has the money long term to pay him what it would take. He's already making basically 10M per year. He'll probably want that bumped up to 13M per year to play...

If he wants this season to count and be available to become a free agent sooner, he needs to report by the midpoint of the season, which would mean he'd have to come back (including bye) after week 9. If not, he would be stuck under the same terms as he is currently under. I believe I've read that he plans to come back in time to insure this season counts for him. Obviously him coming back and him going 100% are two completely different things. If anyone wants him to play and give 100% there needs to be some talk of a new contract for him.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":9rdi1rob said:
It would have to be for Jimmy $$$ wise. Contracts would end up a wash that way basically.

Trading the NFC's 2nd best TE in 2016 yardage isn't something you take that lightly.

A-Dog

Reaction score
I have a problem with this speculative part of the article. Without it the whole point of the article loses its mojo:

It would likely require some sort of maneuvering, whether it be trading away a player to shed salary or freeing up cap space by restructuring another player's contract, something Schneider has said he doesn't like doing. He already had to once this season when he re-worked Doug Baldwin's deal in order to take on Sheldon Richardson's $8 million salary. Hard to imagine Schneider wanting to resort to that again.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Kinda all what we've been saying in other threads.

Hard caps are difficult to get around, especially mid season. You have to trade like salaries, or have one team absorb the cap hit if they have the room in order to dump a player they want to get rid of.

Problem is Texans are now desperate for D-line help, not a position we're deep at, nor willing to part with guys like Bennett or Richardson which would fit that cap hit swap.

Only way I see this working is the Texans taking lessor players like Lane AND a couple mid round picks............AND Brown agreeing to a long term deal with a low first year cap hit. Seems like it's too daunting to pull all this off right now.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":34u3ac2j said:
Kinda all what we've been saying in other threads.

Hard caps are difficult to get around, especially mid season. You have to trade like salaries, or have one team absorb the cap hit if they have the room in order to dump a player they want to get rid of.

Problem is Texans are now desperate for D-line help, not a position we're deep at, nor willing to part with guys like Bennett or Richardson which would fit that cap hit swap.

Only way I see this working is the Texans taking lessor players like Lane AND a couple mid round picks............AND Brown agreeing to a long term deal with a low first year cap hit. Seems like it's too daunting to pull all this off right now.

Yet they found enough couch cushion $$ (Baldwin) to pay Richardson when McDowell face planted?

It's all priorities.

We will all just have to watch our offense continue to set records of futility I suppose. :snack:

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Futility?

Again its a matter of perspective,

Despite everything we've seen thus far, the struggles, the growing pains, the missed opportunties, Seahawks by all accounts have a league average offense.

We aren't as consistent as the top 5 teams, maybe not as explosive as the top 10, but we are average in terms of the stats acculmated in the league thus far in that 11-16 range.

I'm even adjusting for Defensive fortune, Seahawks Offense rank currently at 10th in the league in both Points Scored and Yards. There Expected Value (PFREF) ranks them 16th. So, yeah they seem to fall in that average range. They definately aren't a top 10 offense, even though general stats currently say otherwise but as for "setting records of futility" that's really far-fetch.

Seahawks have left a lot to be desired but they have performed better than half the league with stats putting them better than two-thirds of the league.

I can live with an average offense for now especially when we are buoyed by what might be the best D in the NFL.

A 32 year old hold-out LT that has missed OTC, TC, PS, and 1-2 months of the NFL season isn't going to come in here and save the day. It's wishful thinking, no matter how good he is. And Brown is no Walter Jones, not even close.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Futility? Whatever???

In case you haven't noticed the team is 3-2, and the understaffed and underachieving OLIne is getting incrementally better game to game.

It's far from futile but could be significantly better and still only be slightly better than average.

Price is everything in relation to this trade happening.

Seymour

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":x2td8gfm said:
Futility?

Despite everything we've seen thus far, the struggles, the growing pains, the missed opportunties, Seahawks by all accounts have a league average offense.

We aren't as consistent as the top 5 teams, maybe not as explosive as the top 10, but we are average in terms of the stats acculmated in the league thus far in that 11-16 range.

I'm even adjusting for Defensive fortune, Seahawks Offense rank currently at 10th in the league in both Points Scored and Yards. There Expected Value (PFREF) ranks them 16th. So, yeah they seem to fall in that average range. They definately aren't a top 10 offense, even though general stats currently say otherwise but as for "setting records of futility" that's really far-fetch.

Seahawks have left a lot to be desired but they have performed better than half the league with stats putting them better than two-thirds of the league.

I can live with an average offense for now especially when we are buoyed by what might be the best D in the NFL.

A 32 year old hold-out LT that has missed OTC, TC, PS, and 1-2 months of the NFL season isn't going to come in here and save the day. It's wishful thinking, no matter how good he is. And Brown is no Walter Jones, not even close.

Not really. What would you call the NFL record of 18 games (and still running) of no opening TD drives Seattle holds and is setting higher every week? Old record was 16 games. That is a record of futility by all standards.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Seymour":306p8x8r said:
Pandion Haliaetus":306p8x8r said:
Futility?

Not really. What would you call the NFL record of 18 games (and still running) of no opening TD drives Seattle holds and is setting higher every week? Old record was 16 games. That is a record of futility by all definitions.

Again...3-2, league average offense. Go watch some second halves, you'll see some offense.

Jville

Reaction score
The Seahawks are undefeated in October. Duane Brown is the Texans problem.

Seymour

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3e7mypx8 said:
Seymour":3e7mypx8 said:
Pandion Haliaetus":3e7mypx8 said:
Futility?

Not really. What would you call the NFL record of 18 games (and still running) of no opening TD drives Seattle holds and is setting higher every week? Old record was 16 games. That is a record of futility by all definitions.

Again...3-2, league average offense. Go watch some second halves, you'll see some offense.

Doesn't make my statement that we will need to continue watching records of futility incorrect though does it?

You guys just hate the way that sounds and don't want to hear it. It's the sad truth, and we have not even played any top 10 defenses yet.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Seymour":36u67i38 said:
MontanaHawk05":36u67i38 said:
Seymour":36u67i38 said:
Pandion Haliaetus":36u67i38 said:
Futility?

Doesn't make my statement that we will need to continue watching records of futility incorrect though does it?

You guys just hate the way that sounds and don't want to hear it. It's the sad truth, and we have not even played any top 10 defenses yet.

No, we just think that incidental records of going without opening scores happen to lessen in significance when you're still average in offense, leading the division, and posting ten wins every year. Not vanish, but lessen.

Seymour

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3dffu6f4 said:
No, we just think that incidental records of going without opening scores happen to lessen in significance when you're still average in offense, leading the division, and posting ten wins every year. Not vanish, but lessen.

I won't debate that. But I will add that it certainly not something to be proud of, and it is a good indication of just how bad of first halves we are having to endure right now (and last year).

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Seymour":3ilcsgk0 said:
MontanaHawk05":3ilcsgk0 said:

I won't debate that. But I will add that it certainly not something to be proud of, and it is a good indication of just how bad of first halves we are having to endure right now (and last year).

And I won't debate you on that.

I just think we have to consider how much of a whopper of a trade is merited by the overall state of the offense. Rees Odhiambo is certainly an eyesore, but we're still scraping along on offense. "Schizophrenically average" is better than any of us would expect given our OL play. Think of it this way - if any team is BETTER equipped to withstand this train wreck of an offensive line, which is it? I don't see one.

And the money needed to replace Rees with a guy like Duane Brown is being eaten up by players who are enormously instrumental (Graham, Sheldon). And there remain solutions to fixing LT that don't involve selling the house - like further rearranging contracts (if a willing player can be found), or having Pete pull his first-half playcalling out of his butt. So I just can't see this trade ATM, unless Duane decides he's open to a discount if it means playing on a Super Bowl contender, or Houston gets dumb and decides they reaaaallllyyy like what they see in Jeremy Lane.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":3luw6xss said:

That's not how Pete's Seahawks draw it up for ANY team we have faced, his game planning takes into account for 'Feel Out' of his opponent, with intentional slow starts, therefor, I believe it does nullify your "Statement", and thus makes it incorrect.
Look, your 18 games of "Futility" includes the beating of mastermind Billicheat & the Patriots in 2016.
I don't believe that anyone here is enamored with the slow starts, but I along with a couple hundred thousand other fans are on board with his winning %.

Seymour

Reaction score
scutterhawk":y3l8nu46 said:
Seymour":y3l8nu46 said:

That's not how Pete's Seahawks draw it up for ANY team we have faced, his game planning takes into account for 'Feel Out' of his opponent, with intentional slow starts, therefor, I believe it does nullify your "Statement", and thus makes it incorrect.
Look, your 18 games of "Futility" includes the beating of mastermind Billicheat & the Patriots in 2016.
I don't believe that anyone here is enamored with the slow starts, but I along with a couple hundred thousand other fans are on board with his winning %.

That is a pure load of BS. You are saying that we by intention score less points?

Absolutely the lost ridiculous thing I've heard here yet. Yes, they do intentionally use scripted plays to probe and chart the D that will be used, but in no way do they intentionally leave points on the field. :roll: