Would a trade for Duane Brown actually make us better?

King Dog

Reaction score
I know Brown is a pretty decent LT, but would he actually make us better at this point of the season?

1. He's missed OTA's, training camp, practices and all games (I think).
2. Odiambo has been in the system for 1 1 /2 years, Tobin for 4 weeks(?).
3. Best case scenario Brown gets on the field probably week 8 if we acquire him pretty soon and knows nothing about our system or playbook.....

Does he actually make us better this year if we trade for him? I'm not sure. I guess it depends on how bad Odiambo and Tobin are and I'm not a talent evaluator.

mikeak

Reaction score
I think it most definitely makes the o-line better. He will give RW more time

Like every offensive piece the question is if we will use the added benefit enough to justify the cost

chris98251

Reaction score
Tobin is a Tackle and has yet to get meaningful snaps as he was learning the offense, Brown is not going to be any different, spending money on a player that won't help out of the gate and losing a contributor and possible draft picks in the process doesn't make a lot of sense, not to mention we will now have a aged Vet who has held out and could do so again or just retire on a whim isn't a great addition coming in on a problem unit anyway.

IrishNW

Reaction score
upgrading our left tackle is not going to fix our offense. I dont know how a left tackle is going to make RW stop missing throws and bailing on clean pockets.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Brown has proven to be a probowler.
Odhiambo is a proven turnstyle.
When you play guys like Quinn and Donald twice a year who run by Odhiambo like he's invisible and plow into your franchise qb in 2 seconds flat there is significant concern for injury. You need guys you can trust will slow these guys down on your blind side. If we had clean pockets we wouldnt have forty plus hits on our qb. Thirteen sacks that could easily have been 20 sacks if Wilson wasnt so elusive.

ludakrishna

Reaction score
He is an elite LT and I am willing to bet he hasn't just been sitting on the Sofa watching TV. He played under Gary Kubiak. Kubiak is from the Mike Shanahan tree which believes in the zone blocking scheme. Duane already has experience in the scheme and the only new thing he would have to learn are the vocabulary.

"He was one of only two offensive tackles in 2016 with more than 400 pass-blocking snaps and only 1 sack allowed (Donald Penn was the other)."

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/p ... ct-upgrade

Sign me up. Russell's blindspot will be protected. To allow only 1 sack last year is incredible.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Of course he would make us better. We currently have the worst Oline in the league. How could he not be an improvement?

mistaowen

Reaction score
Learning a playbook as a lineman isn't that hard... Considering our current LT is shattering records for lowest PFF scores ever, all he has to do is go out there and not allow unblocked defenders from planting Russ in the ground.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I"m not an expert, but it seems to me the learning schemes are more difficult for the play makers. Tackle, don't you just want them to block the rusher, block the defender? I"m sure he's been there, he's done that and with our limited offense anyway, it should be quite easy.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
IrishNW":1r3pryxs said:
upgrading our left tackle is not going to fix our offense. I dont know how a left tackle is going to make RW stop missing throws and bailing on clean pockets.

:roll: You're joking......Right? That's like saying that Justin Britt (an upgrade at Center) has made no difference. :lol:
LT is responsible for protecting the Quarterbacks blind spot.
Wilson has been " Bailing" on those "Clean Pockets" because they inconsistent, and have been evaporating all too fast.
Some of those "Clean Pockets are an illusion, created by a good D Coordinator, and Wilson knows that.
The verbiage is inconsequential, Brown is a pro-bowl quality LT & wouldn't need additional training to help in fixing some of our O-Line woes.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Yes, of course. Dude has been an excellent LT in a zone blocking scheme for a long time. He didn’t forget how to do it because he has been out for a bit. Knowing our playbook is way over stated here I think. The only thing that might hold him out from starting the second we acquire him would be conditioning.

There is no comparison to Tobin or Odi, because they are simply bad players. No matter how much experience they have on the team, they will not be as good as Brown.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
IrishNW":3284axny said:

There's constructive criticism and then there's analysis like this completely lacking in reason

Josea16

Reaction score
IrishNW":2hhh8t1v said:
This post is utterly ridiculous I have no idea what Seahawks games you're watching obviously it isn't any from the last 3-4 years.

On topic it's obvious he would help immensely and what is this playback nonsense? He's a LT and played ZBS for years.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":1ffjezxk said:
Of course he would make us better. We currently have the worst Oline in the league. How could he not be an improvement?

He's not a fit per the Seahawk checklist. He's not a scrub, he's not a former DL or TE. So there's no chance for him to be a conversion project for Cable. Thus he's not a fit. Just as Albert wasn't a fit. Just as Evans wasn't a fit. See the pattern...

Brown is a pro-bowler so that counts him out of the Seahawks criteria for potential fits on the OL. Albert and Evans were former pro-bowlers. Seahawks like to spend money on players like Webb, Sowell, Joeckel, Tobin, etc instead. That's their preference of upgrading their OL.

Josea16

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3m8vy0lp said:
pittpnthrs":3m8vy0lp said:

He's not a fit per the Seahawk checklist. He's not a scrub, he's not a former DL or TE. So there's no chance for him to be a conversion project for Cable. Thus he's not a fit. Just as Albert wasn't a fit. Just as Evans wasn't a fit. See the pattern...

Brown is a pro-bowler so that counts him out of the Seahawks criteria for potential fits on the OL. Albert and Evans were former pro-bowlers. Seahawks like to spend money on players like Webb, Sowell, Joeckel, Tobin, etc instead. That's their preference of upgrading their OL.
Awesome! :D

RussB

Reaction score
he can block , odhiambo cant. i dont know how many times ive seen this season that odhambo just falls to the floor and the DE gets a free run at wilson

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2u7bdr57 said:
pittpnthrs":2u7bdr57 said:

No argument here

chris98251

Reaction score
Odhiambo is supposedly our most athletic lineman, just has shorter arms. he's only going to get better and he competes his butt off he just has some catching up to do. Given time and experience he should settle right in and be a asset at some point. :)

What we will get from most Seahawks owned sources and stories. :179422:

Then we will change him out for someone else. :p

What will happen. :stirthepot:

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
scutterhawk":112giw28 said:
Wilson has been " Bailing" on those "Clean Pockets" because they inconsistent, and have been evaporating all too fast.

He's really not. IrishNW is entirely correct in his assessment of Wilson's play. He's doing all these things.

We should avoid trying to place all the blame on one place (the offensive line). Life is rarely that black and white. Wilson is playing poorly, AND the line is playing poorly.

Those who are pointing out that sliding an offensive lineman into a new system is not a plug-and-play thing, are absolutely correct. There is a learning curve. You have to consider the team's playbook, its blocking principles (man? zone?), the team's protection philosophies and how both Britt and Wilson prefer to call them, chemistry with the left guard...there is a lot to consider. And you guys cannot prove that Brown is in top physical football shape, either. He might be, he might not be. There's a risk.

Would an in-shape Brown, on an island without any technical considerations, still prove to be an improvement over Rees in pure pass blocking? Honestly, Rees is bad enough to where the answer is probably yes. The question is whether it would be ENOUGH of an improvement pick to be worth a first-rounder, a pick which is supposed to be a franchise changer, as well as worth casting off another player. If Brown took us from Rees' PFF grade of 30 to a grade of 50, then no, the net gain wouldn't be enough. There are in-house alternatives that can make up that gap (like Matt Tobin, or calling a better playbook in the first half).

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
chris98251":7tiv1fbr said:
Tobin is a Tackle and has yet to get meaningful snaps as he was learning the offense, Brown is not going to be any different, spending money on a player that won't help out of the gate and losing a contributor and possible draft picks in the process doesn't make a lot of sense, not to mention we will now have a aged Vet who has held out and could do so again or just retire on a whim isn't a great addition coming in on a problem unit anyway.

You just go ahead and get on out of here with your logic and fancy dancy common sense.