Why did we draft Pocic?

King Dog

Reaction score
At the time, my best guess was we weren't planning on paying Britt. I'm kind of sad we didn't draft someone who is out there playing this season with a 2nd round pick (let's not go there with our earlier 2nd round pick lol). What do you think the plan is for him? Aboushi or Joeckyl replacement?

chris98251

Reaction score
King Dog":172pcmk9 said:
At the time, my best guess was we weren't planning on paying Britt. I'm kind of sad we didn't draft someone who is out there playing this season with a 2nd round pick (let's not go there with our earlier 2nd round pick lol). What do you think the plan is for him? Aboushi or Joeckyl replacement?

DE, :) he got showcased all over the line in pre season and once the season started virtually nothing, difficult to figure out other then the dreaded Tom Cable doghouse. Which means he will be traded if true like Carpenter, Moffit and Bowie.

OpHawk

Reaction score
Occam's razor.......He's not good enough.

They would probably love for him to be playing but it's not surprising given this organizations inability to evaluate offensive line talent.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
He's the only backup center and both Pete and Cable have said that they don't want to risk him getting injured playing another position.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
It's funny (not funny haha) that they go into the draft with the biggest area of need being offensive line, and the guy they drafted to address that need doesn't start. It's embarrassing to be completely honest

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Never underestimate the bizarre and ongoing befuddling mystery of our OL. Cable's input on OL draft selections is likely strong, so why has this guy never been given a shot?

I just don't buy Cable's explanation of a necessity of having him as our backup center. Surely there's someone else in that group that has played center at some point in college or later. So he either indeed pissed off the almighty Cable or the staff's opinion of him diminished greatly since the draft. They stick with Whifeddi, Odhiambo, lose Fant and Joeckel may be out for a bit but still no mention of Pocic being given a shot. Nor do I buy that it's just because he's a rookie and not ready. We've given many rookie linemen with lesser pedigrees chances right off the bat.

It's just puzzling that this 2nd round selection is invisible at the moment, unless he was yet another in the line of reaches this team has made at OL.

2_0_6

Reaction score
They drafted him to convert him from center to tackle/guard. Why this FO seems so hell bent on converting players from their collegiate positions boggles my mind.

Hawks46

Reaction score
They drafted him for his versatility.

Obviously they were planning on paying Britt because, well....they did. I theorize that Pocic was a hedge in case Britt wanted too much money.

He was also a hedge if Ifedi didn't work out. He was a hedge in a lot of areas....I think the coaching staff learned their lesson last year by relying on too much to go right and too many guys to develop. Pocic was polished and came from a good school.

It's also good to have quality OL depth because....injuries.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Pocic isn't playing because he's currently more valuable as our backup center and a swing lineman in case of injury.

No, I am not joking.

The coaches have admitted that they think they were wrong in that they went too young as a unit last year, and they're looking to build a experienced and cohesive offensive front.

Pocic will crack in there when the time is right, but he's currently our most important reserve lineman and a bright spot for the future. It is clear to me, though, that they want consistency on the line which is why they're trying to keep it steady.

I expect him to win a competition in camp next year. Probably right guard.

chris98251

Reaction score
They have Hunt on the PS, so that's an out, yes he is a back up Center, but we have others that could snap in a pinch, may be a few butt fumbles and they may have to go under center in a specific game. But losing Britt we would be in trouble with line calls already, we have issues now.

peppersjap

Reaction score
This has been my biggest disappointment. They talk about how tough he is yet he never see's the field. I really thought he would be starting by now!

Vpk0718

Reaction score
To appease the fans and make us think they're trying, when really they don't give a crap and are ok with Cable actually still having a job and doing nothing.

massari

Reaction score
Honestly, when it comes to the OL, I trust the general consensus on forums and analysts more than JS/PC/TC. If they were to pick an OL in the 2nd, most were calling for Moton or Dawkins, both of which have looked pretty good so far, and at tackle no less. Pocic hasn't even been able to crack a terrible OL for one snap on offense. Hopefully that changes soon.

endzorn

Reaction score
I don't think they ever intended on Pocic starting. The point they made from the start was that he gave them "tremendous versatility" because he could play everywhere. They immediately played him at tackle, the position he had the least experience, and then Cable announced he wasn't in the running to start and would play the interior. They drafted him to be a backup. That's asinine. It's a waste of a second round pick.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
massari":2aexfq6q said:
Honestly, when it comes to the OL, I trust the general consensus on forums and analysts more than JS/PC/TC. If they were to pick an OL in the 2nd, most were calling for Moton or Dawkins, both of which have looked pretty good so far, and at tackle no less. Pocic hasn't even been able to crack a terrible OL for one snap on offense. Hopefully that changes soon.

Really?
Wow, just wow. Draft is a crap shoot and a few posters guess right and you "trust them". I'm glad you aren't hiring Seahawk FO staff.

The team decided inexperience was partially what killed them last year. They decided to start players that had more experience. It's hardly rocket science. Pococ looked fine in preseason and I'm sure he'll crack the lineup sooner or later. But I like that they are bringing him along a bit more slowly. Rookie OL have not fared well in their first year for us or most teams.

Ozzy

Reaction score
SeatownJay":13teox1u said:
He's the only backup center and both Pete and Cable have said that they don't want to risk him getting injured playing another position.

They would rather risk Wilson getting injured. Makes sense. :shock:

It's a miss when a 2nd round pick can't find a spot on a line that's this bad. I was really hoping he would of found a spot and the fact that he can't is either because Cable isn't evaluating who should be starting. This isn't unreasonable as he has a history of missing in that regard. Or he isn't as good as they thought which is also feasible. regardless its a bummer he isn't playing.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
I'm in the versatility and give it time camp. As long as our line is showing progress as a unit, who gives a whoop.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
I do not buy the ‘too valuable as a back up’ talk from the coaches. If he is one of the best 5, he plays, it really is that simple. You can not afford to hold anything back in this league. We have alternatives at center, if the need were to arise.

So, to me, when they say that it just means he isn’t ready for the show. Which is disheartening to think he could possibly be worse than glow/aboushi. He has plenty of time to develop, but, can’t blame me for hoping for a starter. Dare to dream, dare to dream.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":druk97ku said:
I'm in the versatility and give it time camp. As long as our line is showing progress as a unit, who gives a whoop.

If he were a 4-6 rounder, I would totally agree with you Sioux. He's not though. Second round picks are too valuable. I agree with Austin that when you have the worst (name any group position) in the league and use second round draft capital to address that position and they can't see the field; it's frustrating.

I also think the unfortunate inability of Malik to see the field exaggerates this frustration. It makes Pocic "feel" like our first pick in the draft.

Basis4day

Reaction score
chris98251":evt1ye8x said:
They have Hunt on the PS, so that's an out, yes he is a back up Center, but we have others that could snap in a pinch, may be a few butt fumbles and they may have to go under center in a specific game. But losing Britt we would be in trouble with line calls already, we have issues now.

Such as?