Wilson 14th in Benoit's list of best QBs

Joyodongo

Reaction score
I consider Andy Benoit and Greg Cosell two guys who really know about football.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/10/18/nfl-q ... b-rankings

I personally can't complain about this: you could make the case that today he's better than Rivers, Winston, Manning ... but some of the ones who are behind him in the list could arguably be ahead of him: Mariota, Watson, Prescott ...
I think that he's become an average NFL QB (I give him a C so far in 2017). Maybe the putrid OL has made him regress or maybe ... he's just not that good, but anyway it's difficult to argue that he's now a top-10 QB ...

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
I think it's difficult to argue that his production has been top-10 this year, but he's still firmly a top-10 QB in the league IMO. There's no way I would take any QB in the league that's come in after RW (Mariota, Winston, Prescott, Watson, etc.). It might be my homer-glasses, but we've seen what RW can do with proper line play and play calling - and it's damn impressive.

I seriously don't think there's another QB out there not named Rodgers that would be able to both survive and lead our team to 10+ wins a season behind the embarrassment that has been our offensive line for three seasons now.

Seymour

Reaction score
Joyodongo":e9xjwci1 said:

I personally can't complain about this: you could make the case that today he's better than Rivers, Winston, Manning ... but some of the ones who are behind him in the list could arguably be ahead of him: Mariota, Watson, Prescott ...
I think that he's become an average NFL QB (I give him a C so far in 2017). Maybe the putrid OL has made him regress or maybe ... he's just not that good, but anyway it's difficult to argue that he's now a top-10 QB ...

....and maybe the moon has some effect on the earths oceans.

That is not overall best QB's in the league. That is 2017 production only. Not much thought needs to go into just looking up numbers.

adeltaY

Reaction score
This list is a joke. Forget the RW aspect of it. Derek Carr at 8? He's been terrible this year. But I guess he has a quick release so it's all good. Stafford at #2??? He's been good but let's elevate him to top tier because arm strength. Flacco over Goff and Watson? That big arm is soooo enticing!

Eli at #9 not penalised for being 1-5 but rivers is at #13 despite a slightly better record. Winston has been terrible but he's an old school dropback passer so it's totally cool. Big Ben has been dogshit, largely due to horrible decision making and just throwing it up and hoping for the best.... Top 5. Pat

Another analyst (who likes) pocket passers who can't accept there are other ways to be a great QB.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
These look like stat based rankings to me but they ignore the most important stat - number of wins. If that was the case, you get different rankings altogether. IMO, a more accurate one. In that ranking, I'm sure Russell Wilson would be top 5. He's definitely be ahead of Kirk Cousins, Winston, Newton, Stafford, Manning, Carr, etc.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":3deo7ibl said:
I think it's difficult to argue that his production has been top-10 this year, but he's still firmly a top-10 QB in the league IMO. There's no way I would take any QB in the league that's come in after RW (Mariota, Winston, Prescott, Watson, etc.). It might be my homer-glasses, but we've seen what RW can do with proper line play and play calling - and it's damn impressive.

I seriously don't think there's another QB out there not named Rodgers that would be able to both survive and lead our team to 10+ wins a season behind the embarrassment that has been our offensive line for three seasons now.

This. SO much this.

Seymour

Reaction score
adeltaY":28snuiby said:
This list is a joke. Forget the RW aspect of it. Derek Carr at 8? He's been terrible this year. But I guess he has a quick release so it's all good. Stafford at #2??? He's been good but let's elevate him to top tier because arm strength. Flacco over Goff and Watson? That big arm is soooo enticing!

Eli at #9 not penalised for being 1-5 but rivers is at #13 despite a slightly better record. Winston has been terrible but he's an old school dropback passer so it's totally cool. Big Ben has been dogshit, largely due to horrible decision making and just throwing it up and hoping for the best.... Top 5. Pat

Another analyst (who likes) pocket passers who can't accept there are other ways to be a great QB.

LOL. I never made it to the final 5. Stafford is a dead give away this is a trolling rating designed to draw attention and create outrage. I'll pass on the outrage and just end it with.....get a rope! :twisted:

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Wilson is about the only placement on that list I agree with. He's taken a step down this year, all on his own. Never seen so many overthrown passes, even from him.

daketah

Reaction score
It seems like a decent list, yet I don't really care where the Hawks' quarterback lands in a line up of the NFL. What matters most is whether #3 is the best quarterback available for the Seahawks. To that question, I say, he is. I don't see anyone who is currently without a broken collar bone being as good with this team as RW is. Some of them would be injured within a week or two, and others would default to their athleticism far too quickly. Russ is a great blend of athletic ability to escape/extend plays, combined with NFL game knowledge and judgement.

RCATES

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2mtzuwro said:
Wilson is about the only placement on that list I agree with. He's taken a step down this year, all on his own. Never seen so many overthrown passes, even from him.

I agree. So many Wilson homers on this forum that need to open their eye's. Wilson has been nothing short of terrible since late 2015. Benoit's assessment is spot on with Wilson's lack of height causing him to struggle because of limited vision on surveying the field. I was just saying this in a post earlier in another thread.

Seymour

Reaction score
RCATES":1p3yd0kv said:
MontanaHawk05":1p3yd0kv said:

I agree. So many Wilson homers on this forum that need to open their eye's. Wilson has been nothing short of terrible since late 2015. Benoit's assessment is spot on with Wilson's lack of height causing him to struggle because of limited vision on surveying the field. I was just saying this in a post earlier in another thread.

You agree, yet the 14th best QB in the NFL (this year) is "nothing short of terrible"?

Exaggerate much?

You cannot even agree with yourself. :roll:

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
RCATES":1uz9wdkb said:
MontanaHawk05":1uz9wdkb said:

Back away from the cliff.

RCATES

Reaction score
Seymour":162z7dzt said:
RCATES":162z7dzt said:
MontanaHawk05":162z7dzt said:

You agree, yet the 14th best QB in the NFL (this year) is "nothing short of terrible"?

Exaggerate much?

You cannot even agree with yourself. :roll:

Its called getting rep points for past performances. Kinda like Kam's new contract.

hawk45

Reaction score
RCATES":uostmyno said:

LOL.

The 2015 team: Okung, Britt, Nowak/Lewis, Sweezy, Gilliam
Once they made the switch to Lewis this team could run-block and at least keep Wilson from death. There are some solid if unspectacular starters on this line. Britt/Sweezy weren't great shakes in pass pro but could both run-block. At the time, Gilliam wasn't a dumpster fire.

2016: Fant, Glowinski, Britt, Ifedi, Gilliam
Fant was the worst starting LT in the league, Ifedi was trash, Gilliam was so bad he eventually lost his job. Britt was the only player anyone would claim as solid. Utter futility running the ball.

2017: Odhiambo, Joeckel, Britt, Glowinski/Aboushi, Ifedi
Once again we have the worst starting LT in the league. Britt is solid, Joeckel is...starting caliber I'll say, Aboushi may be also but he's a recent addition. Ifedi improving after Aboushi's insertion but was trash as well early on. Utter futility running the ball.

Huh I wonder why Russell's performance has dropped off since 2015.

OP
OP
Joyodongo

Joyodongo

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1btddpg4 said:

Completely agree. I already said there are some overrated and some underrated but our QB looks just average this season. Potential? Yes, we saw it the 2nd part of 2015 (curiously with JG out), but we haven't seen him like this again.

iigakusei

Reaction score
Wilson has been average this year - middle of the pack seems about right.

RCATES

Reaction score
hawk45":2ewed9bu said:
RCATES":2ewed9bu said:

LOL.

The 2015 team: Okung, Britt, Nowak/Lewis, Sweezy, Gilliam
Once they made the switch to Lewis this team could run-block and at least keep Wilson from death. There are some solid if unspectacular starters on this line. Britt/Sweezy weren't great shakes in pass pro but could both run-block. At the time, Gilliam wasn't a dumpster fire.

2016: Fant, Glowinski, Britt, Ifedi, Gilliam
Fant was the worst starting LT in the league, Ifedi was trash, Gilliam was so bad he eventually lost his job. Britt was the only player anyone would claim as solid. Utter futility running the ball.

2017: Odhiambo, Joeckel, Britt, Glowinski/Aboushi, Ifedi
Once again we have the worst starting LT in the league. Britt is solid, Joeckel is...starting caliber I'll say, Aboushi may be also but he's a recent addition. Ifedi improving after Aboushi's insertion but was trash as well early on. Utter futility running the ball.

Huh I wonder why Russell's performance has dropped off since 2015.

You're right bro its the O-Line. Wilson is fantastic.

Seymour

Reaction score
RCATES":23n5cvem said:

Is everything all or nothing with you?

Have you even considered that the oline is HEAVILY contributing to Wilsons flaws and fixing 1 fixes the other?

If you got hit by a car not looking while crossing the road, would you continue not looking when doing that again? Wilson looking at linemen converging on him means he's not looking (finding) receivers. Think man.

sutz

Reaction score
Seymour":30ajzyhw said:
RCATES":30ajzyhw said:

Is everything all or nothing with you?

Have you even considered that the oline is HEAVILY contributing to Wilsons flaws and fixing 1 fixes the other?

If you got hit by a car not looking while crossing the road, would you continue not looking when doing that again? Wilson looking at linemen converging on him means he's not looking (finding) receivers. Think man.
It's the internet. Only superlatives are allowed. :twisted:

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Joyodongo":fyjbe9v3 said:

I don't think Benoit is as smart as you think he is.

His list just seems like an attempt at trolling to get some clicks going. I mean his second sentence is him dragging out the ol' standbye, "Wilson is too short" narrative. :roll:

Tip: Whether you're 5'10'' 5/8's or 6'0'' or 6'2'' your vision in the pocket is the same. A couple of inches is not going to allow you to see 'over' huge lineman. It's all about passing lanes.

Now if you're really tall, as tall as the lineman, 6'5'' or so, yea I could see some benefits in seeing over some lineman and not having to rely on passing lanes as much.

But here we are 5 years later, and guys like Benoit are still harping on this.