Avril going to IR

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/SiriusXMNFL/status/920746659906191360[/tweet]

kidhawk

Reaction score
Not surprising that he's going n IR, especially since we could bring him back if we wish. I wouldn't even be surprised if he ends up retiring. I wish him nothing but the best in both his recovery and his future outside of football (should he choose to retire)

Seymour

Reaction score
Whatever you decide Cliff, you have been both a force and a class act in your time here. I appreciate every contribution, the hard work, the no complaints when others around you were, and wish him the best whatever his decision is.

Rest, heal, and be well buddy. :irishdrinkers:

sutz

Reaction score
Yeah, you can't mess around with spinal stuff. Since we no longer have to 'designate' I guess it stays open whether he could come back at the end of the season. But his long term health is the primary concern.

Thanks for all the work you've done Cliff, and best wishes in whatever you do.

:irishdrinkers:

sutz

Reaction score
And, not to change the subject, but does this free up a spot for Albert?

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
This is a sad day. I wish him the very best, and he needs to do the best for himself and his family.

This team just lost one hell of a force.

kidhawk

Reaction score
sutz":2vaweorg said:

When it becomes official, it will be offset with another move, but the most likely would be a move up from the practice squad, although an outside signing isn't completely out of the question.

BullHawk33

Reaction score
Cliff was already huge for fans but leaving it all on the field for the team definitely raises his standing rather than running out to get another check for another team. I truly pray that whatever happened to him doesn't impact his long term health.

Hawkfish

Reaction score
Man, this sucks. If he retires, the Hawks are going to have a ton of cap room with him, Jimmie, Lacy, Joekel, Lane, Ryan, etc. either cut or FA's net year. Looking like $45+ million not including increase in cap. Going to be a different looking team.

Basis4day

Reaction score
sutz":1qeguihg said:

It would free up a spot on the 53 man active roster, yes.

Millen Hawk

Reaction score
Basis4day":3n8kcxnw said:
sutz":3n8kcxnw said:

It would free up a spot on the 53 man active roster, yes.

It would open up a spot but it's my understanding that it will not free up any CAP space. Which from what I have heard is the reason he has not signed with us or anyone else. Hawks have just under $2mil left and signing Albert would eat up all of that which I don't think JS would do at this point in the season.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Avril was a leader and he'll definitely be missed. Tough way to go if indeed his career is over.

Rubin is now available so he may be a possibility to bring back to take Avril's spot. They could use another run stopper to spell Reed, etc. They have a lot of pass rushing DTs now but other than Reed who is a run stopper? Adding Rubin may now make sense.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Dang this bums me out. Looking back at Avril's time here, he has been a FORCE and has generated some of the biggest plays on Defense. This weakens our Defense considerably by not having him as an option in that DE rotation.

chris98251

Reaction score
Team be damned, I am hoping that he can fully recover and that it isn't going to be a degenerative condition that affects him forward. Freaky injury to get caught by a heal in the chin and have this amount of devastation.

Best wishes Cliff!

Seymour

Reaction score
chris98251":1r43imel said:
Team be damned, I am hoping that he can fully recover and that it isn't going to be a degenerative condition that affects him forward. Freaky injury to get caught by a heal in the chin and have this amount of devastation.

Best wishes Cliff!

I've had back and neck problems for 30+ years. Usually something like that was already a problem that just took the heel to set it off. My L calf muscle looks like it has a heart in it, beating (pulsing), all day every day. The problem is permanant nerve damage from a ruptured disk pinching a nerve in lower back.

Mine got set off being bent forward for a long period of time planting trees. :shock:

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/schultz_report/status/920780111745634304[/tweet]

AgentDib

Reaction score
Hawks fans seem to be unified on wanting to see Avril make the best decision for himself. He helped us win a Super Bowl, was a leader in the locker room, never caused any drama, and does a ton of charity work. We're really spoiled at DL right now when we can lose a player of his caliber to IR and still have a great argument for the best front seven in the NFL.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I'm truly saddened by this news and had hoped he team would see Avril back this season.

Cliff deservess nothing but the highest of regard from Hawks fans I wish him nothing but good will and hope he can recover from this injury.

sutz

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2s5depbw said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/schultz_report/status/920780111745634304[/tweet]
Well, if he can safely come back and play, good on him. But I'd hate for him to risk his long term health.