Is this...good? (Ifedi)

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Art_Thiel/status/921039131332919297[/tweet]

I dunno.

A-Dog

Reaction score
I think Ifedi is showing progress, which is good.

However, when the rush is not coming from Russ' blind side or straight up the gut unblocked, Russ can see it coming and use his elite escapability to avoid sacks and hits.

So I think this is a good sign for Ifedi but as a stat it is skewed by the quarterback he's blocking for.

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
Well if the left tackle and right guard on the same team are letting their assignments get to the quarterback in under 2 seconds, then the right tackle only needs to keep his assignment from the qb for slightly more time to register no hits. I suppose it tells us that Ifedi is improving.

hawk45

Reaction score
I'll take it.

Has Ifedi had one of those plays like Joeckel, Glowinski, and Odhiambo where he didn't lay a finger on his assignment? I don't recall that happening.

kidhawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":29t5qzkl said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Art_Thiel/status/921039131332919297[/tweet]

I dunno.

Is it bad that my first thought is that they didn't get there because someone else beat them to the punch?

Anytime I see solitary stats held up in a vacuum, I'm always a bit suspect. I will stick with my eye test though, and my eye test says that the line, as a whole, has improved so far this year. Each guy on the line has had good moments and bad ones. I was hoping we could stay healthy and keep the consistency and watch them grow continually through the season. Hopefully we don't digress this next 3 - 5 weeks.

Seymour

Reaction score
CalgaryHawk":34sqikd0 said:
Well if the left tackle and right guard on the same team are letting their assignments get to the quarterback in under 2 seconds, then the right tackle only needs to keep his assignment from the qb for slightly more time to register no hits. I suppose it tells us that Ifedi is improving.

LMAO!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I cannot disagree with this logic.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
Well it is his second season and time to start improving. It is funny how most people on here crush first year guys and want to get rid of them only to replace them with another new guy. Everyone knows that most offensive lineman coming out of college need to be worked on. It is a league wide issue.The Hawks like developing players and it takes time. It is along term approach to help with the cap. It sucks we cant be great at every facet of our game but I am not surprised to see some of these newer players develop in there second and third seasons. Maybe there will be a day when we are begging to resign a offensive lineman that we developed.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
I don't know if it is bad but it is definitely not a good thing. Isn't the area of focus now, on individual defensive linemen productivity, is not tackles or sacks but how many times the DL gets pressure on the QB?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I heard Clayton and the KIRO afternoon crew talking about this last week.

Clayton said if you watch film on Ifedi, you'll see some amazing quickness and athleticism when he's in trouble or missed his block.

Meaning Ifedi is REALLY good at getting back into position or keeping guys away from Russell after getting beat using his crazy long arms, quickness and athleticism.

Obviously we'd like him to NOT get beat, but it's a very tangible skill to be able to recover after getting beat and still allow your QB time to throw.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3lpabqiq said:

Clayton said if you watch film on Ifedi, you'll see some amazing quickness and athleticism when he's in trouble or missed his block.

Meaning Ifedi is REALLY good at getting back into position or keeping guys away from Russell after getting beat using his crazy long arms, quickness and athleticism.

Obviously we'd like him to NOT get beat, but it's a very tangible skill to be able to recover after getting beat and still allow your QB time to throw.

Which would be holding BTW and the reason Ifedi leads the team in penalties with 3 holds and 2 false starts.

How is 1st and 20 treating us?

sdog1981

Reaction score
Why use a first round draft pick on a tackle then move him to guard? I bet Pocccciccicicic will turn out to be the Seahawks best guard this weekend adding more proof that Cable has zero clue to what is going on.

raisethe3

Reaction score
That's a very good stat for a 1st year tackle. Remember he was a guard last year. Gosh, I hate the conversions.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
CalgaryHawk":240urzrn said:
I cannot take seeing 2 seconds or under anymore.
A big man with football equipment on is Not going to get 15-20 feet in 2 aeconds.
Enough with this nonsense.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
To me the right side of Aboushi and Ifedi has been the pleasant surprise of the season. We knew Britt would be solid, Odiambi would struggle and Joeckel has been a slight disappointment.

Helps Ifedi that Russell is right handed, he's always been good at feeling the rush from that side.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":3sbi3xax said:
Sgt. Largent":3sbi3xax said:

Which would be holding BTW and the reason Ifedi leads the team in penalties with 3 holds and 2 false starts.

Ifedi gets beat a lot, so three holding penalties for what like about 300 offensive snaps so far this year? I'd say that's pretty damn good for how bad we all thought he'd be. For me Ifedi's played better than I thought he would.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Agree that Ifedi has gotten steadily better. He's the least of my worries on the OL. Also seems to be the only guy that run blocks at a passable level. Most of our long runs have come down on his side.

Odhiambo has been the worst but admittedly he was drafted to be a guard and is only playing LT because he has college experience there and Tobin/Battle aren't up to speed on our system yet ( or they suck too). Joeckel was hit or miss but with his injury, I'd give him a bit of a pass. He manned up as well as could be expected with a bum knee. RG is still a dumpster fire but a bit better with Aboushi over Glow. I'm sad that Glow has not progressed as much as needed.

Anyway I'm really hoping that we see improvement in LT or get a suitable replacement. I could live with the remaining group if that were the case.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":lmjtoecc said:
Seymour":lmjtoecc said:
Sgt. Largent":lmjtoecc said:

Ifedi gets beat a lot, so three holding penalties for what like about 300 offensive snaps so far this year? I'd say that's pretty damn good for how bad we all thought he'd be. For me Ifedi's played better than I thought he would.

That is good? LOL. He is on league leading pace (last year was eight..). Last year he had 0 at guard.

Those are drive killing penalties and often worse than a sack to killing offensive momentum. It can also kill big plays and wipe scores off the board.

I know nobody else that would call that "pretty damn good" that isn't on the other team.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":2a3jdbe4 said:
Sgt. Largent":2a3jdbe4 said:
Seymour":2a3jdbe4 said:
Sgt. Largent":2a3jdbe4 said:

That is good? LOL. He is on league leading pace (last year was eight..). Last year he had 0 at guard.

Those are drive killing penalties and often worse than a sack to killing offensive momentum. It can also kill big plays and wipe scores off the board.

I know nobody else that would call that "pretty damn good" that isn't on the other team.

Not that one more hold influences my opinion, but I only see two holding penalties so far this year.

http://www.nflpenalties.com/player/g-if ... ?year=2017

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2io1195k said:
Seymour":2io1195k said:
Sgt. Largent":2io1195k said:
Seymour":2io1195k said:

Not that one more hold influences my opinion, but I only see two holding penalties so far this year.

http://www.nflpenalties.com/player/g-if ... ?year=2017

Declined penalties are counted against the player as well. = 3

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":vu10893e said:
Declined penalties are counted against the player as well. = 3

Not when you're asking me how I like 1st and 20.

My point in this whole futile exercise of arguing with you is that Ifedi's played better than I thought he was going to, and I see some potential there that he could turn into at least a decent tackle. Which for this line? I'll take it.