Tyler Lockett in the Tavon Austin role

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Generally speaking, I think Bevel called a hell of a game with very few of his signature boneheaded plays getting dialed up.

A new twist this game was seeing Lockett being utilized as the (Harvin/Prosise/McKissic) multipurpose player, trying to get the ball to him in space, much like the Rams use Austin. At first I didn't really like the idea, but it is growing on me. The threat can be a nice way to get the defense to back off of the offensive line a bit, making the line look better, and buying time for Russ. Lockett has the vision to make it work. I still prefer Prosise in the role, but he is never available. McKissic is good with cuts and speed, but lacks some of the shiftiness of Prosise and Lockett.

I'm still not sure, but it's growing on me. I'd like to see the all 22 to see what effect the threat had on the defense.

Optimus25

Reaction score
Yeah i posted here after Tennessee that it was weird NOT seeing him involved at all.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=139389

I like it a lot i just think it's time to run handoffs now with the fake jet sweep. Haven't seen that once and it's overdue.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
I like it too. Only issue I kinda have is on the sweeps that he ran a couple times. Even when there was a positive outcome, yardage wise, he was getting killed. Good to get this stuff on our video record though as now it is something teams have to plan for and gives our offense some serious variety.

Love what they are doing with McKissic as well. Hard to believe this guy only runs a 4.5 40. We seem to be using him in a Tyreke Hill esk sort of way.

OP
OP
bigskydoc

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Seeing him get killed early made me think it was a dumb idea. The more they used it as a way to keep the defense honest, the more I liked it.

hawk45

Reaction score
I like mckissic and lockett in that role for different reasons. I think both of them get the defense guessing.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
bigskydoc":1bi7rwo4 said:
Seeing him get killed early made me think it was a dumb idea. The more they used it as a way to keep the defense honest, the more I liked it.

If you can't freeze the linebackers by running the RBs forward, do it by running the RBs to the side.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Optimus25":2e2cfhaj said:
Yeah i posted here after Tennessee that it was weird NOT seeing him involved at all.

http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=139389

I like it a lot i just think it's time to run handoffs now with the fake jet sweep. Haven't seen that once and it's overdue.

Agreed. It would be a nice wrinkle to start using the jet sweep as a decoy/set-up and run the ball inside so that this look/motion isn't telegraphing the sweep. The jet sweep breaks defenses' backs when the front 7 is generally being over-aggressive and getting penetration up the middle and/or if the LBs are blitzing through the middle gaps and leaving just one guy (usually playside DE) to set the edge and keep outside containment.

When we were at the LAR game I thought Lockett looked like a cheaper, or not EXTREMELY OVERPAID, version of Austin.

Exittium

Reaction score
And McKissick running to the side, so far had netted us 1st downs once vs the giants and before the by

Hawks46

Reaction score
bigskydoc":auar089b said:

Yup. You don't have to hand it off every time, and when you run it and fake it to Lockett and then hand the ball off, or hell run a read option to the other side, it's going to get the defense to shift.

The reason Lockett is getting killed right now is that he's not full speed. He's missing that 5th gear. When he gets faster, he'll be better able to make guys miss.

edit Just had a thought after I posted: what about doing this for McEvoy as well ? Supposedly he runs a 4.4 forty which is the same as Lockett. He also weighs 230 lbs and there is also the threat of him throwing it. How awesome would a jet sweep pass be ?

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
Hawks46":31ubv491 said:
bigskydoc":31ubv491 said:

Yup. You don't have to hand it off every time, and when you run it and fake it to Lockett and then hand the ball off, or hell run a read option to the other side, it's going to get the defense to shift.

The reason Lockett is getting killed right now is that he's not full speed. He's missing that 5th gear. When he gets faster, he'll be better able to make guys miss.

edit Just had a thought after I posted: what about doing this for McEvoy as well ? Supposedly he runs a 4.4 forty which is the same as Lockett. He also weighs 230 lbs and there is also the threat of him throwing it. How awesome would a jet sweep pass be ?

Too awesome and unpredictable for a certain playcaller to even fathom.