#1 Defense (ppg)

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Pete says we had 3 bad plays this year that cost us about 200 yards. I remember 2 against the Titans ... and maybe 1 or 2 against Green Bay?
Pete might be right minute 7:20 !!!
[youtube]foF57umoTNg[/youtube]

mistaowen

Reaction score
defense has been awesome outside of Titans game

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Not to mention that the defense itself has gotten better each weak. Shaq and Coleman look like they have been here for years. Clark looks like he took more genetic freak pills and Bennett has played well despite his injury. ET looks better than ever. Kam is still doing Kam stuff. Reed has jumped to another level. Sherman seems to have no drop off over the years. Wags.......put him up against any linebacker in the league. Wright still playing at a high level. SR, love what this guy brings to our team. Didn't see Wilhoite screw up this game so guess he's doing okay. This D is definitely something everyone should really be excited about.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
This defense at the end will rival the 2013 defense, you heard it here first.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
BTW, I believe we are tied with Jacksonville for first at 15.7... YES JACKSONVILLE.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":1mc9dped said:
BTW, I believe we are tied with Jacksonville for first at 15.7... YES JACKSONVILLE.
Actually better than Jax.
If you need to nit pick...
Seahawks = 15.67
Jax = 15.71

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
MD5eahawks":qw1zv7ge said:
NFSeahawks628":qw1zv7ge said:
Seahawks = 15.67
Jax = 15.71

Lol, did you get this from another site or did you just do the math?

That is better for sure, my mistake.

#NumbersNeverLie #ButNotThatDumbShow

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Seahawks scoring defense ranks:

2011: 7th
2012: 1st
2013: 1st
2014: 1st
2015: 1st
2016: 3rd
2017: 1st

OP
OP
renofox

renofox

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":32spco4e said:

Now if the Seahawks only had more rings to show for it, they would be in the discussion with the Steel Curtain as the best defense of all time. It's not too late!!!

mistaowen

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":3k8wsyce said:

Genuinely impressive in the current form of the NFL that idolizes passing offenses.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Let's stay there! Loving this defense.

Jacksonville with two 10 sack games....that match will be a bloodbath on both sides :/

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":3d8e1s4v said:
MD5eahawks":3d8e1s4v said:
NFSeahawks628":3d8e1s4v said:
Seahawks = 15.67
Jax = 15.71

Lol, did you get this from another site or did you just do the math?

That is better for sure, my mistake.

#NumbersNeverLie #ButNotThatDumbShow
Ha. Math my man.
;-)

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
MD5eahawks":chwah6jj said:
NFSeahawks628":chwah6jj said:
Seahawks = 15.67
Jax = 15.71

I think what is more impressive is... The incredible difference in Splash stats...

Jags have 33 sacks to Seattle's 12

Jags have 10 Ints to Seattle's 5.

Fumbles Recovered is about the same 6 to 5.

If Seattle's D had those stats they'd probably allow 3 points per game than average.

Also, if you total similar opponents: Tenn, Indy, and Rams.

Seahawks are 2-1 allowing 61 (33, 18, 10) points to those teams.

Seahawks played Rams and Tenn on the road. Indy at home.

Jags are 1-2 allowing 64 (37, 0, 27) points to those teams.

Jags played Rams and Tenn @ home. Indy on the road.

Very close but different circumstances.

But what appeals to me is the Jags have a relatively young defense, with top round talent buoyed by some top market veterans bought in free agency.

With Jacksonville being sort of a mystery that's still needs to be solved.

Seahawks have relatively the same core they've had the last 5-6 years.

They've run relatively the same scheme in that time, offensive coordinators and other coaches and assistants have had all that time to figure them out. And some teams have done so but for the most part even then a lot of teams find little success.

Not saying Jacksonville isn't deserving of high praise but time will tell if teams will figure out that defense. Those sacks and Ints have tremendously helped them keep points off the board and keep momementum on thier side. This is relative in seeing a lot of love as the Jags being the best D in the NFL.

But coming back to the Seahawks, they've been consistent in getting the job done, since 2012, they've been a top 3 Scoring D. 4 of those years they finished first.

That's crazy. Teams respect our scheme so much. Don't throw at Sherm or Thomas. Don't leave a player hanging near Kam. Attack RCB, attack underneath zones. Protect the ball, throw high percentage throws.

Only real way to beat Seahawks D is let them beat themselves. Keep them on the field, get them fatigued, catch them off guard, out of position, or miscommunication, or make a spectacular play. Get them on edge, punch them back in the mouth, get them in penalty issues at the most opportune times. Same with every team but the Seahawks in particular. Very rarely does the D as a whole play bad games but the scheme isnt bullet proof and the players are human just like everyone else.

I just love this D. I love they can dominant an opponent mentally pre-game and physically on the field for like 60- 80% of the time. I love they can dominant the field and scoring stats without being amongst the NFL leaders in Sacks or Ints or in Jags case, both.

Even if the Seahawks Offense continues to struggle to put points on the board as long as they can be successful in sustaining drives and controlling T.O.P., the Seahawks D will be allowed to play loose and to thier strengths. That game against the Giants was offensively frustrating in terms of scoring points. But the O sustained drives and ate the clock, and when they can do that consistently the Defense can be absolutely suffocating and dominante 80-99% of the time.

We are truly blessed to have been entertained and are being entertained by this Defense. They've had a chance to be the first team ever to be #1 in Scoring D for 5 straight years. We fell short last season but just being in that conversation. And now leading the league in Scoring D in 2017. That's special.

Especially in this day and age, with the money that's out there in free agency, with the physicality and athleticism coming in from college these days, with how NFL catered rules to benefit QBs and Offenses. Playing D in this era is tough. To be great even for 1 season, you almost have to be perfect or lucky or both. And Seahawks have been great for pretty much 6 years dating back to 2nd half of 2011.

Just the disparity is splash/momentum stats between the Jags and Seahawks this year but despite that Seahawks just have been just a sliver better is a testament to really how great this D is.

And if the offense can just continue in allowing the Defense to come in fresh and focused between drives, I don't see the D giving up thier scoring title this year even if a team like the Jags continues to make headlines with splashy defensive stats.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
You take away 3 or 4 of those flukey plays this year and the Seahawks defense is right back to being downright historic.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Excellent posts. But I would say that there isnt really any way to beat the D. That playoff game against the Panthers they were on the field most of the first half. Then in the second half, in their fatigued state they gave up a whopping zero points..

sutz

Reaction score
I think one of the best things about our Defense is that it is actually fairly basic and simple. We have some wrinkles, sure, but mostly we line up with our guys on their guys and dare them to beat us. Two advantages I see:

1. New guys coming in don't need a lot of classroom work. If we draft a CB, he knows the basics of man/cover and fits right in. If he has the basic skill set mastered, he can be effective. This requires good scouting, of course, but this is why Pete insists on drafting at least 1-2 DBs every draft, to keep good young talent in the pipeline and give lots of guys chances to prove their worth. We also seem to have a bead on DBs around the league and are attentive if one gets released or is on the trading block.

2. We don't normally depend on making massive personnel changes snap-to-snap. That way, we don't get as bothered by the various "hurry up" schemes, with the exception of Aaron Rodgers, but he burns everybody with his quick snap. We spend 1/2 to 3/4 of the time in our base set, it seems. Of course, it helps when you have 8 pro-bowlers in the mix. :)