Pocic

seabowl

Reaction score
I know there is an OL thread but curious specifically how Pocic did. Did anyone see how he performed?

ludakrishna

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/hawkblogger/status/922305292813004800[/tweet]

Pocic did great. As a matter of fact, he was perfect in pass blocking. I remember him getting to the 2ND level on the screen pass and pancacking his defender. Due to Rawl's stupidity, he overran the blockers. Otherwise it would have been an ever longer gain. Why he was sitting on the bench can't be explained.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
ludakrishna":b5oqwbwm said:

Pocic did great. As a matter of fact, he was perfect in pass blocking. I remember him getting to the 2ND level on the screen pass and pancacking his defender. Due to Rawl's stupidity, he overran the blockers. Otherwise it would have been an ever longer gain. Why he was sitting on the bench can't be explained.
This is great to read!!! I hope it continues. :2thumbs:

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
That is very encouraging. Did he see any snaps at LG or only at center while Britt was out?

Seymour

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":3bczwmzr said:
That is very encouraging. Did he see any snaps at LG or only at center while Britt was out?

He was encouraging during pre season, yet Cable refuses to play the guy.

Maybe Baldwin will become the new oline coach. :irishdrinkers:

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
ludakrishna":23i964vc said:

He was sitting on the bench because he's the only backup center.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Montana that is a ridiculous reason if true and another failure of the staff when it comes to the line. We need the 5 best lineman to play. Why risk a franchise QB getting hurt, gun shy or anything else because you want a decent back up center when he would be light years better then what you have on the field play after play. I'm not saying this is what you would do, but more appalled at Cable and the staff to go this route. It's baffling.

I hope he played lights out and its an encouraging sign for sure.

quadsas

Reaction score
I am sure he played at LG for a bit. Then Trashwinski came on and I couldnt believe it. Maybe my eyes misguided me but I did see Britt and Pocic on the field at the same time.

Seymour

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3gl86737 said:
ludakrishna":3gl86737 said:

Bull. That is a Cable choice to not start him and elevate Hunt from the practice squad to hold down the bench.

Seafan

Reaction score
The Hawks have stated and it has been covered ad nauseam here that they were trying to get experience in the lineup this season. The reason they signed Joeckle and Aboushi and attempted to get Lang.

ludakrishna

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":4ta01vjo said:

He only played a few snaps at center. Most of his snaps came at LG.

lobohawk

Reaction score
So his pass blocking was acceptable. What about his run blocking? Think Glowinski is more of a move-them-off-point guy, but maybe Pocic is the same there.

kidhawk

Reaction score
austinslater25":1hso522r said:
Montana that is a ridiculous reason if true and another failure of the staff when it comes to the line. We need the 5 best lineman to play. Why risk a franchise QB getting hurt, gun shy or anything else because you want a decent back up center when he would be light years better then what you have on the field play after play. I'm not saying this is what you would do, but more appalled at Cable and the staff to go this route. It's baffling.

I hope he played lights out and its an encouraging sign for sure.

I tend to agree with this. I was hoping they'd bring Hunt up to sit on the Bench and let Pocic loose at Guard while Joeckel was out. It surprised me when we left the roster spot vacant after putting Avril on IR.

Without the roster move to have the center position covered, you really don't want to risk Pocic playing 100% of the time especially after Britt already suffered an injury mid-game. Besides, Glowinski mostly held his own out there this week.

I still would like to see more of Pocic and hopefully the coaches will too and Pete will activate Hunt to hold the backup center position while Pocic plays Guard.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Man people are angry around here.

Anyone think that Pocic was so successful because he wasn't thrust into the starting roll too soon? Anyone ever give someone the benefit of the doubt around here?

Seymour

Reaction score
gowazzu02":3rdjzyja said:

Anyone think that Pocic was so successful because he wasn't thrust into the starting roll too soon? Anyone ever give someone the benefit of the doubt around here?

Why would they when he pretty much showed the same thing in the pre season?

Cable deserves the benefit of the doubt exactly why? Besides that, there is no doubt when it comes to him anyway.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Seymour":2wkfx5rq said:
gowazzu02":2wkfx5rq said:

Cable deserves the benefit of the doubt exactly why? Besides that, there is no doubt when it comes to him anyway.

He showed the same against vanilla rush schemes and backup players. Hell everyone looked good on the OL in preseason. Ain't the same things as regular season.

I think keeping young OL off the field and in the classroom and practice field for a bit is always a good idea. Our success shoving young guys into starting roles day 1 has been abysmal.

Pocic was Joeckel and Britt's backup. Until Joeckel had surgery there was no need to play Pocic. Now he's needed and now he's played. Can't we just all be pleased he did well?

907Hawk

Reaction score
quadsas":ijzoq0rl said:
I am sure he played at LG for a bit. Then Trashwinski came on and I couldnt believe it. Maybe my eyes misguided me but I did see Britt and Pocic on the field at the same time.

Pocic was the starting LG and traded drives with Glow throughout the game.

I believe Britt was only out of the game for three or four plays.

They both had issues but overall played solid, Pocic can hold down that position if the Hawks go that way.

hawk45

Reaction score
Seymour":1hq3s73v said:
MontanaHawk05":1hq3s73v said:
ludakrishna":1hq3s73v said:

Bull. That is a Cable choice to not start him and elevate Hunt from the practice squad to hold down the bench.

I'm pretty sure Montana's post was tongue-in-cheek because Montana has been begging for us to put Pocic anywhere, including LT. He's the engineer of the Pocic train.

So yes, this game was the perfect illustration of why there was and is zero excuse not to have Pocic on the field somewhere. I don't think Joeckel was 100% at pass protecting, and Glowinski sure wasn't at RG earlier this season.

The only caveat is that we saw Glowinski look decent in a single game many moons ago and that turned out to be fool's gold. So I'd like to see another game or so. Then again I've seen plenty of Glowinski so even if Pocic struggles now and then he'd have to work hard to be worse than the alternative.

Seymour

Reaction score
Mad Dog":to2jylxh said:
Seymour":to2jylxh said:
gowazzu02":to2jylxh said:

He showed the same against vanilla rush schemes and backup players. Hell everyone looked good on the OL in preseason. Ain't the same things as regular season.

I think keeping young OL off the field and in the classroom and practice field for a bit is always a good idea. Our success shoving young guys into starting roles day 1 has been abysmal.

Pocic was Joeckel and Britt's backup. Until Joeckel had surgery there was no need to play Pocic. Now he's needed and now he's played. Can't we just all be pleased he did well?

A nice luxury when you do not have one of the worst olines in the league....year after year. That would not be us though. Our success with the highest paid line in the NFL was abysmal too when it came to pass protect, so your point makes no point.