Texans Game TV Viewing Map (CBS)

kidhawk

Reaction score
I believe this is the last scheduled CBS game of the season. CBS only has one game this week, so the map is very spotty. Luckily they are airing it where I live so I can record it and replay it when I get back from watching it live. Most aren't so lucky this time. We are on locally in the purple areas.

08-CBS.png

[urltargetblank]http://506sports.com/nfl.php?yr=2017&wk=8[/urltargetblank]

GeekHawk

Reaction score
It's a little odd to me that the 'other' game on Fox is blacked out here 'due to local team on CBS', but not blacked out around Houston. Not that I care to watch those other teams, but why isn't it blacked out around Houston?

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
GeekHawk":zfapzck2 said:
It's a little odd to me that the 'other' game on Fox is blacked out here 'due to local team on CBS', but not blacked out around Houston. Not that I care to watch those other teams, but why isn't it blacked out around Houston?

I haven't ever really thought about it, but that is the normal practice....Maybe they think it pushes more people to the games? I really have no idea.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
GeekHawk":29dsl9x1 said:
Not the whole 'blackout' thing, just why it applies to Western Washington but not to Houston?

It's always the home team and Seattle's at home. No idea why it is that way but it's been that way for a long time now.

EDIT: I found this info on wikipedia, so take it for what it's worth:

Another policy to encourage sellouts is, except in Week 17, no other NFL game can air opposite the local franchise's broadcast on the primary market's affiliate due to NFL rules or due to a blackout.

If a local franchise's broadcast is being held at home in the early game of a doubleheader, the other network (which shows the single game) may only show a game during the late time slot;
If a local franchise's broadcast is at home in the late game of a doubleheader, the other network (which shows the single game) may only show a game during the early time slot;
If a local franchise is playing at home, and the broadcast is shown by the network carrying only one game, the other network (which shows the doubleheader) may only air one game in that market; either early or late (the slot which the local franchise is not playing);
If a local franchise is playing an away game, and the broadcast is shown by the network on which it is the only NFL game it is airing that week, the other network (which shows the doubleheader) may air both of their games;
If a local franchise is playing on the road on the network carrying a doubleheader, the other network can air its single game in the same timeslot opposite the local franchise's game. However, affiliates in the local franchise's primary market almost always opt against it because such an action usually ensures low ratings. The "no opposing game" policy is a key reason why single game fixtures on the East Coast are occasionally scheduled for the late time slot.

[urltargetblank]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_television_blackout_policies#No_opposing_games[/urltargetblank]

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Geez, that gave me a headache trying to follow the convoluted mess. The part at the end seems to be why our East Coast games weren't at 10am, so I'm okay with this policy!

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
Why do we have so many games on CBS this year? I know there was some weird swap with the giants game between the networks, but I thought it was AFC-CBS and NFC-Fox depending on the home team. These scrapheap CBS announcers don't really do it for me and I haven't figured out a good workaround to overlay raible.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
jdemps":38r3y640 said:
Why do we have so many games on CBS this year? I know there was some weird swap with the giants game between the networks, but I thought it was AFC-CBS and NFC-Fox depending on the home team. These scrapheap CBS announcers don't really do it for me and I haven't figured out a good workaround to overlay raible.

This game would have been CBS under the old rules anyway, but the good news is that looking ahead, it appears that this is the final game this year on CBS.

sutz

Reaction score
jdemps":1qa4710m said:
No, it depends on the road team. So this would have been a CBS game anyway. ;)

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":yyn4v7j9 said:
jdemps":yyn4v7j9 said:

This game would have been CBS under the old rules anyway, but the good news is that looking ahead, it appears that this is the final game this year on CBS.

Now that I think about it, we played the Rams, the Giants and now the Texans on CBS....so far we are undefeated on CBS....maybe we could tolerate them a few more games. :twisted:

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
kidhawk":3kgqn3ae said:
kidhawk":3kgqn3ae said:
jdemps":3kgqn3ae said:

Now that I think about it, we played the Rams, the Giants and now the Texans on CBS....so far we are undefeated on CBS....maybe we could tolerate them a few more games. :twisted:

Just crazy enough to work. Fine, the toleration continues.

400WattHPSHawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":1f29zpmm said:
kidhawk":1f29zpmm said:
jdemps":1f29zpmm said:

If it means puting up with Bengal games, and it does...
I'll take them...Dilly dilly.