Are We Still South Alaska?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Okay I admit it. I spent waaaay too much time on the couch yesterday. I watched every single NFL-related show possible. Good Morning Football (not that the ridiculously cute Kay Adams has anything to do with that), NFL Primetime (I miss Behrman and Jackson!!), and a host of other shows on NFL Network and ESPN.

Let me start out by saying to be perfectly fair, every show had the Seahawks / Texans game as the highlight and why wouldn't they? It was by FAR the most thrilling game of the week if not season thus far.

What drove me nuts is that every show I watched could not stop talking about Watson. Does he deserve credit? Of course! A rookie QB going into the toughest place to play against one of the toughest defenses in the league is usually a recipe for disaster. I get it. He was lights out, putting up 38 in OUR HOUSE WHICH NEVER HAPPENS.

So yes, bravo. He truly was lights out and amazing. That's not really my beef. My beef is that every show I watched they glossed over Russell's performance as some kind of back story to Watson's Coming Out Party. Oh sure there was mentions and highlights, but it was very much like the Seahawks were the back story to Watson's Supreme Game. Hmm.

Even our own Nate Burleson on Good Morning Football made mention of that far away team up there in the Pacific Northwest. Really? I thought by now we had exorcised those perceptual demons.

Cross networks, multiple shows, the general consensus that I took away was that Watson is a GOD and oh yeah Russell was okay too and the Seahawks, oh did they win?

Ugh. Admittedly I still wear the angst of 40 years of being a Seahawks fan on my sleeve but the point I am making is valid.

At the end of the day I was left with a nasty taste in my mouth. While the smartest analysts certainly give us our due, the overriding paradigm is that the Seahawks are still some pesky little team in South Alaska that is lucky to get media coverage even though they are one of the most successful teams in the past five years.

I get it. Media is all about Flavor Of The Month. Watson fits that bill. (Not to demean Watson, he's certainly going to be a fantastic QB for years to come)...Wilson throwing for a career 456 yards and 4 TDs is noteworthy but not like Watson, a rookie, coming into CLink against one of the best defenses in all of football and throwing for over 400 yards and 4 TDs...Now THAT is news. I suppose so. I just wish it didn't have to come at the expense of such a brilliant performance by our star QB.

You know. That guy who throws touchdowns in South Alaska.

Josea16

Reaction score
It's ok man. One of those teams and quarterback will get their just due February 4th. You guess which.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
Ok after reading it, I fully understand the frustration. But after our 1st super bowl, I realized that the mainstream talking heads are probably INSTRUCTED to continue to downplay anything that we do, no matter how significant.
Screw 'em, Southeastern Alaska kicks the dog donky SHIT out of their "media darlings". REAL football fans smell the aroma of what's been cooking since 2012 and in my heart, that's all that matters.
But, I have an almost 2 year old who's 2nd word spoken after "Da Da" was "Seahawsss" :lol: and I hope by the time he's in school we will have won at least a 2nd Lombardi and the media narrative is a bit more...realistic.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Well it's not your imagination I watched every show to and yes it was mostly about Watson. They ignored the win against the Rams and only grudgingly gave Wilson and Seattle credit after an epic win yesterday . So with that said here is what i'm going to do quit watching ESPN completely starting today and I hope every one in the entire Northwest region does as well screw ESPN . I'm sick of there anti Seattle bias it's real and it's vomit inducing.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
If I got choose between watching highlights of Watson, Wilson, or Adams it’s an easy choice. Absolutely love Kay Adams.

Steve2222

Reaction score
It's funny. Even when Russell has the best QB performance of the year it's still second page news. Everyone is drooling over Watson but Wilson's incredible, clutch comeback win is the footnote.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
The golden boy is now Watson. Last year it was Dak. The few year before that it was Andrew Luck. Before that it was RG3. Do you see a trend. I would rather be perennially great than a flash in the pan. Watson may be great but it takes more than one good season (or 1/2 a season) for that to happen. Besides I would rather not get mentioned to much. I feel our team plays better in the "not good enough" or "meh" categorization.
Besides how many of these talking heads opinions do you really respect. Most are blowhards and click bait.

Exittium

Reaction score
Watsons good, has a great line to help hold for him, and I guarantee he WOULD NOT have put up 38 point points in our house if the officiating were calling the same shitb they were calling on us, I.e PI, and holding. Especially since all the non calls where painfully obvious especially when they did replays of "how great x play was Watson"

Media can piss off. Give Wilson that same line and favoritism and he'll just shred teams apart effortlessly.

And now that we got Duane hopefully that'll make us loser to that happening...Unless cable dumbs down Duane

sutz

Reaction score
Watson is 6'2" tall. He does what Wilson does. So Wilson is too short again, and "normal-sized" QBs are back in vogue.

:twisted:

Seymour

Reaction score
It's all about the new and fresh faces and new hope for a new franchise. Same thing last year with Dak.

We are just 1 of 32, so Wilson and the Seahawks being "old hat" winners get to the back of the news cycle.

seahawksny

Reaction score
I think this has changed slowly but surely.

Here in NY we got the game in its entirety. No watching redzone and asking why the hell are they showing Dallas like they do every week .

This week i think it works out where we will see them against the skins because SF is other game and I seriously doubt they show that one out here

Also helps that...
DC isnt far from ny
Giants play in earlier slot this week
Jets Play on Thur night this week

Either way, the stars are aligned

Turns out that ive been surprisingly pleased that we get certain games that i dont expect.

A couple of years back, we lost in Cincy. I think we were up big but couldnt' hold it and lost by last second FG.

This one was an early start and really had no reason to think we would get game out here, but we did.

I think tide is slowly turning, and with that shootout we had this week, people will start to ditch the Alaska reference

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Also don't forget that Houston is the 4th biggest media market in the country. Same reason the Yankees always get coverage or the Lakers even when they stink. ESPN and others placate to the big markets....

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Seymour":2n445n0v said:
It's all about the new and fresh faces and new hope for a new franchise. Same thing last year with Dak.

We are just 1 of 32, so Wilson and the Seahawks being "old hat" winners get to the back of the news cycle.

Basically this.

Watson is the new shiny. And he's doing incredible things there. Seattle isn't a fresh face in the equation at all at this point. We'll get recognition through team success at this point. But to be in that forefront of the conversation, Seattle needs to be a 2 time SB winner. If we can't get back and win it, then we're indistinguishable from many other one time title winners (Saints, Broncos, Ravens) from the last 10 years.

Not getting the national pub doesn't concern me in September/October. It's at the tail end of the season when the contenders for the first round byes get the press that's important.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Just about everything I heard and saw yesterday on the internet said "Wilson outduels Watson in best game of the year so far."

I think we're a little hyper sensitive up here in the NW when it comes to the national media and wanting to be heard and recognized.......................which btw, is why the Clink is so damn loud, just as the Kingdome was before it.

So think of all this as a good thing. Our players LOVE playing the disrespect card, and so do the fans.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, way too much time gets spent on the whole "we don't get respect thing"
Meh, doesn't matter, just keep winning on the field. They give Russ plenty of love, and talk about the Hawks plenty.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
I'd say that we're pretty damn lucky ESPN deigns to put us on at all, and we should thank them for the publicity when they finally lower their standards and do so. You know, just UW should.
:evil:

Chapow

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3n8xifhq said:
Yeah, way too much time gets spent on the whole "we don't get respect thing"

Completely agree with this and what Sgt. said about this fan base being hyper sensitive.

As I read the OP and subsequent posts in this thread, I kept thinking things like, "Really?", "WTF?".

I watched plenty of NFL Network and ESPN both after the game on Sunday and yesterday and I saw tons of praise for both Russ and the Seahawks. The segment I saw on GMFB gave significantly more air time to talking about Russ and the Seahawks than to talking about Watson and the Texans. I did not get the feeling at all that Russ or the Seahawks were a foot note or second page news. Sure, they talked about Watson a lot too, but, I mean, of course. The guy is a rookie and played an amazing game against one of the best defenses in football, in one of the toughest environments in football.

Man, I dunno. It's just weird how some of us see things so incredibly differently.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Chapow":z8ia05ol said:
Man, I dunno. It's just weird how some of us see things so incredibly differently.

Obviously. Look I am not trying to be a whiny bitch about it but I am not an idiot and I saw what I saw yesterday which was a concerted effort to gloss over Wilson's performance in favor of the rooks - who by the way LOST.