Not Just Paul...Fans Save Seahawks 20 Years Ago

SeaChat

Reaction score
I remember those times and I'm as grateful as can be to the residents of Washington State, who joined in with Paul Allen in keeping the Seattle Seahawks, in the city of Seattle, and not allowing them to become the Anaheim Seahawks. As much as I love the Seahawks, I don't know if I could have survived that transition of the team to California as a fan.

The Seattle Seahawks have been a Big Deal, in my life since the team first came to be. I watched a special not too long ago on television where they went into great detail about the period of time where the Seahawks, had loaded up all the tractor trailers and were so far along in the process of actually leaving, as to start pulling out of Seattle Seahawks Facility, when the 12th Men and Women (although not given that title yet, even though the spirit had already been born and was well under way growing into the Spirit of the 12th Man today), literally stepped hand in hand out directly into the paths of thes trucks, and said Hell No! Believing that somehow, someway, we would figure out a way to keep the Seahawks in the Emerald City, where they truly belong for all time.

This was the point in time, when Paul Allen, who in my humble opinion, committed the most selfless act of his life time, and agreed to join his family of 12th Men and Women, in their bid to prevent the Seahawks from exiting our lives forever. I've heard lots of folks (I accidentally typed "fooks" instead of "folks", he he, a Freudian Slip I'm sure), who actually had the audacity, to criticize Paul Allen for not footing the entire bill himself, based on the rational, that he had more money that just about anyone on the planet, and that it was just a drop in the bucket, in the scheme of things, and I couldn't disagree more.

Paul Allen, gave the Pacific Northwest and the 12th Men and Women, the State of Washington, and the City of Seattle, more specifically, a chance to save one of their most valuable gems, The Seattle Seahawks, but he also had the wisdom and the foresight, to make it a joint venture, and to secure a mutual commitment from all of us, in seeing this dream, we all shared, to become a reality. Had he opted to fund it solely on his own, it would not have meant nearly as much to all of us as it does today, by doing it the way he did, he allowed for all of us, who contributed, however we could, to create our own personal bond with the Seahawks, and to experience a genuine sense of belonging, to to Seattle Seahawks Team, and to become a part of that wonderful spirit that embodies and defines it, The 12th Man.

After watching that television documentary, it left me realizing what an incredible debt of gratitude that I personally owe to Paul Allen, and to all of the 12th Men and Women who joined us in that battle to save our Seahawks team. Over the, now more than 40 years, that I've been a Seahawk fan or 12th Man, if you will, the Seahawks have remained a central part of my life, year in an year out, and hopefully will continue to for whatever years I have left in this world.

I sometimes envision myself, one day setting in the TV room of the local old folks home, and screaming, because one of my Seahawks fumbled the ball, or threw an interception lol. I won't say that I look forward to that day, if it comes, but I know that even in the most difficult days of my life that watching the Seahawks play, will always make them a little brighter.

I have drawn so much from my relationship with the Seahawks over the years, I'm not just referencing the laughter, tears, or the joy and sadness, that comes with having a heart and soul connection with this team, and that I do, but also for the all of the many life's lessons, that this relationship has provided me with, which in turn, has had an extended affect on my friends and family as well. I give a lot of the credit to the Seahawks for having helped me to become the husband, father, friend that I am.

I know for some out there that might all sound a little corny, and that's okay by me, I've always maintained that it takes real courage and character, to dare to be ridiculous, in the eyes of others, in being true to yourself. For the Seattle Seahawks remaining in the Emerald City, and for profound influence that they have had on my life, and will continue to have on my life. I want to extend a sincere debt of gratitude to Mr Paul Allen, and to all of the 12th Men and Women who joined us in our fight to keep this crazy team, and the incredible spirit that embodies it, alive and well all these years.

Go Seahawks !

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I'm just so happy that this all happened 20 years ago when our local government was forward thinking and amenable to getting things done............and not the current state of politics in Seattle.

What are the chances that saving the Hawks would happen now?

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
pacific101":1oo8q21a said:
I remember those times and I'm as grateful as can be to the residents of Washington State, who joined in with Paul Allen in keeping the Seattle Seahawks, in the city of Seattle, and not allowing them to become the Anaheim Seahawks. As much as I love the Seahawks, I don't know if I could have survived that transition of the team to California as a fan.

The Seattle Seahawks have been a Big Deal, in my life since the team first came to be. I watched a special not too long ago on television where they went into great detail about the period of time where the Seahawks, had loaded up all the tractor trailers and were so far along in the process of actually leaving, as to start pulling out of Seattle Seahawks Facility, when the 12th Men and Women (although not given that title yet, even though the spirit had already been born and was well under way growing into the Spirit of the 12th Man today), literally stepped hand in hand out directly into the paths of thes trucks, and said Hell No! Believing that somehow, someway, we would figure out a way to keep the Seahawks in the Emerald City, where they truly belong for all time.

This was the point in time, when Paul Allen, who in my humble opinion, committed the most selfless act of his life time, and agreed to join his family of 12th Men and Women, in their bid to prevent the Seahawks from exiting our lives forever. I've heard lots of folks (I accidentally typed "fooks" instead of "folks", he he, a Freudian Slip I'm sure), who actually had the audacity, to criticize Paul Allen for not footing the entire bill himself, based on the rational, that he had more money that just about anyone on the planet, and that it was just a drop in the bucket, in the scheme of things, and I couldn't disagree more.

Paul Allen, gave the Pacific Northwest and the 12th Men and Women, the State of Washington, and the City of Seattle, more specifically, a chance to save one of their most valuable gems, The Seattle Seahawks, but he also had the wisdom and the foresight, to make it a joint venture, and to secure a mutual commitment from all of us, in seeing this dream, we all shared, to become a reality. Had he opted to fund it solely on his own, it would not have meant nearly as much to all of us as it does today, by doing it the way he did, he allowed for all of us, who contributed, however we could, to create our own personal bond with the Seahawks, and to experience a genuine sense of belonging, to to Seattle Seahawks Team, and to become a part of that wonderful spirit that embodies and defines it, The 12th Man.

After watching that television documentary, it left me realizing what an incredible debt of gratitude that I personally owe to Paul Allen, and to all of the 12th Men and Women who joined us in that battle to save our Seahawks team. Over the, now more than 40 years, that I've been a Seahawk fan or 12th Man, if you will, the Seahawks have remained a central part of my life, year in an year out, and hopefully will continue to for whatever years I have left in this world.

I sometimes envision myself, one day setting in the TV room of the local old folks home, and screaming, because one of my Seahawks fumbled the ball, or threw an interception lol. I won't say that I look forward to that day, if it comes, but I know that even in the most difficult days of my life that watching the Seahawks play, will always make them a little brighter.

I have drawn so much from my relationship with the Seahawks over the years, I'm not just referencing the laughter, tears, or the joy and sadness, that comes with having a heart and soul connection with this team, and that I do, but also for the all of the many life's lessons, that this relationship has provided me with, which in turn, has had an extended affect on my friends and family as well. I give a lot of the credit to the Seahawks for having helped me to become the husband, father, friend that I am.

I know for some out there that might all sound a little corny, and that's okay by me, I've always maintained that it takes real courage and character, to dare to be ridiculous, in the eyes of others, in being true to yourself. For the Seattle Seahawks remaining in the Emerald City, and for profound influence that they have had on my life, and will continue to have on my life. I want to extend a sincere debt of gratitude to Mr Paul Allen, and to all of the 12th Men and Women who joined us in our fight to keep this crazy team, and the incredible spirit that embodies it, alive and well all these years.

Go Seahawks !

Great post! Well said my friend. Cheers!

ivotuk

Reaction score
Aros":8kji5rx1 said:
http://mynorthwest.com/799018/washington-saved-the-seattle-seahawks-20-years-ago/

That is the nicest ass I've ever seen. I mean, great article!

RastaHawk12!

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":14abielt said:
I'm just so happy that this all happened 20 years ago when our local government was forward thinking and amenable to getting things done............and not the current state of politics in Seattle.

What are the chances that saving the Hawks would happen now?

I live in SD now, and can tell you from experience with the Chargers that...

Seattle would still have a team, lol. People around here didn't lay down in front of busses trying to save their team. There is such a different feel in Seattle. The Hawks are part of the fabric of the Pac NW, and have been for a very long time. I remember games in the Kingdome, getting autographs and whatnot in 76, etc. Guys... there is a VERY special relationship between the 12's and their team... one that is unique in all of football.

hawxfreak

Reaction score
I'm not even a big basketball fan but it killed me when the sonics left and I still won't do anything starbucks but I can't imagine if my hawks left.
It would be gut wrenching as a 10 yr old kid who was thrilled we got a team in '76 if they moved it would've put some real hate and evil in my heart for seattle politics way more than it already is.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I will never forget the pure happiness I felt when it was a done deal and that moment when Paul Allen came out onto the field in the first game as owner, fist pumping and running. The crowd was obviously out of control and I had to literally hold back tears. I was just deeply bummed about the idea of the Hawks leaving.

Allen changed everything. in that 20 years, 12 trips to the playoffs, 9 years with playoff wins, 3 Super Bowl trips, 1 Title and a team that cannot be counted out of any game.

Latest posts