So will coaches now be held accountable?

mikeak

Reaction score
Do we now have the OL to run the football and protect our QB?
Does this give our OL the players they should have to give the QB 2.5 seconds or more to throw the ball?

So if they do well we can say - hey that Cable guy is a good coach / if they don't do well we can get a new OL coach?

So now do we have the players needed to execute our offense?

So if we now score a lot of points or move the ball at will do we now say - ok Bevell is a good coach / the flip side we get a new Offensive coordinator?

Are we now there? What more can be spent with what I assume is the agreement of those coordinators? We now brought it multiple players to shore up the O-line and to-date only have one significant injury

Are we looking at watching an exciting team that is successful with the option that we get some changes among the coaches?

Are those of us that have been unhappy with our offensive performance now allowed to put expectations on this team and if not met we start looking at coaches and not players?

Seymour

Reaction score
mikeak":1c9roi8k said:
Are those of us that have been unhappy with our offensive performance now allowed to put expectations on this team and if not met we start looking at coaches and not players?

We could do all that prior to the addition of Brown. Cable is still problem 1 with this line IMO.

To the original question on accountability, I would say NO.

Cable with the highest paid line in the NFL in 2013 put out the 27th best oline. That should answer your question on accountability.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/2013-offensive-line-rankings

johnnyfever

Reaction score
I would say yes.

We have:
-Great quarterback
-Good/great receivers
-great TE
-Great special teams
-Great defense
-spent money on what should now be good offensive line. Line has been playing below personnel in my view.
-Running backs that have shown good and sometimes great play in the past, but need good coaching to get them to produce to the fullest.

Now the coaches need to produce. We are pretty healthy, have good depth. We are literally completely out of cap room so between JS and PC have done everything we could to get the best personnel available for the price we could afford.

This is now on the coaches. No excuses. Bev has been doing better but still has a lot of room for improvement. Watch what the texans OC did if you want to see some phenomenal scheming. same looks multiple times with completely different plays resulting from them. Tough to defend. texans have decent personnel but their OC really is what gave our defense fits.

Cable still needs to make the adjustments to provide run blocking. 1 dimensional teams tend not to fair well in the post season and right now we are pretty one dimensional. Focus on creating running lanes via misdirection, power run blocking etc.

Chapow

Reaction score
I'm not sure how acquiring 1 new player changes any of that. Fans have been demanding that we fire whoever it is that they are unhappy with all along anyway. Fans have been putting expectations on this team all along anyway, sometimes reasonable, most times pretty damned unreasonable.

I'm not really sure I understand your post to be honest, but we, the fans, aren't ever going to have a say in when, where, and who gets fired on the Seahawks coaching staff. And quite frankly, thank god for that.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well we added ONE very good Lineman. So, while it will be improved, it still is going to be a line with major issues. I love the thought of them having Brown/Pocic/Britt in there together. I think the running game will be helped a lot w/him here though. Not to mention the massive improvement at LT and Russ' blind side. Shoot, they're sitting there at 5-2 w/very little run game. Impressive

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mikeak":3m7z8u0b said:

32 pts per game avg last four games and #10 ranked scoring and overall offense..............despite a terrible line and no run game all year.

Maybe we should start holding fans who can't let their coaching grudges go more accountable.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Seymour":hazx41ha said:
mikeak":hazx41ha said:

We could do all that prior to the addition of Brown. Cable is still problem 1 with this line IMO.

Cable with the highest paid line in the NFL in 2013 put out the 27th best oline. That should answer your question on accountability.

You do realize it was a pricey line because the rookie salary cap hadn’t been put into place and we were playing some young players (Okung, Carp) big cash they hadn’t earned.

Today’s salaries more accurately reflect player quality.

Do people really believe that Pete thinks Cable is a big problem and refuses to replace him because of loyalty? Or do you believe Pete has lost the ability to look critically at his coaching staff? Because that’s essentially what you are saying, when you state Cable is problem number 1.

I believe that the OL problems are multifaceted. I believe that Cable is an issue, but not because he can’t coach. Rather I think he’s a mediocre evaluator of talent and that the ZBS has lost much of its lustre after recent rule changes. But these are merely opinions and in the end I believe Pete knows way more about football and good coaching than I ever will. So I trust that he’d release Cable if his coaching was not up to snuff.

I’m hoping the offense goes on a tear to shut most of you naysayers up. We have very good coaches. You don’t win so consistently without very good coaches.

I’d love to have Sean McVey and Jim Schwartz as our coordinators. But not likely to happen due to contract situations. So I’ll love the guys we have.

OP
OP
M

mikeak

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":212dpt2f said:
mikeak":212dpt2f said:

32 pts per game avg last four games and #10 ranked scoring and overall offense..............despite a terrible line and no run game all year.

Maybe we should start holding fans who can't let their coaching grudges go more accountable.

Good point and while coaching staff as a whole should be looked at to account for that the last two games include

1) 10 plays with goal to go without being able to punch in the ball......

2) I believe 5 plays with goal to go in the last game where we had the Defense score 7 (counting the kick) and another 3 came from not moving the ball after Sherman ran it back - so take those 10 off the board from offensive praise and look at why we didn't score 4 more

Still I am absolutely in 100% agreement that this team is looking much better offensively when it comes to scoring. Last Sunday game was FUN to watch. My post wasn't a reflection in regards to coaches doing a bad job there.

Same thing in the Giants game first half. The coaches did not drop the balls that led to TWO missed touchdowns in the first half. That was all on the players

I do think however overall the last year has lacked a lot when it comes to being a good offensive team. There has been excuses that the o-line doesn't work or this and that.

With all the additions (not just Brown) with the receivers being as good as they are - with all the players we have can any coaching group expect better / more players than what we have? I don't think so

So if the offense succeeds now - awesome. If it does not then I do hope that the FO makes changes (and I know that fans don't make those changes)

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":cj6p5zvf said:
mikeak":cj6p5zvf said:

I'd be real interested to hear your position coach rating system that would dispel the negative data that says they are not doing their job. Something besides "wins" that would actually support that person is doing well with what he has been given would be cool.
Are you accountable?

OP
OP
M

mikeak

Reaction score
Mad Dog":2ot64ihm said:
I’m hoping the offense goes on a tear to shut most of you naysayers up. .

I don't think there is a single one of us that have been critical that wouldn't LOVE to be wrong - it means our team is winning which is what matters

Madrid Hawk

Reaction score
Great, great pick-up. Now, what worries me, is this:

Is RW conditioned to not trust his LT to protect his blind-side?

How long will it take before he re-learns that now he actually has a blocker on that side who can protect him, and that he doesn't have to take off running .5 seconds after being snapped the ball?

Truly hoping that the past failures of the LT (and the line as a whole) won't cause him to hear footsteps that are no longer there.

All of that being said, the OL has been playing better, and giving him more protection and time as of late. The Texans game, for example, he really owned the field. Looked like vintage superstar Wilson.

Really, REALLY hoping that my worries are groundless. This past week's Russ Wilson was a thing of beauty.

Chapow

Reaction score
mikeak":2nl0oy0h said:
Mad Dog":2nl0oy0h said:

I don't think there is a single one of us that have been critical that wouldn't LOVE to be wrong - it means our team is winning which is what matters

Except we were already winning and yet this site was still chock full of super negative and hyper critical threads and posts.

Seymour

Reaction score
Mad Dog":17fwqcjy said:
Seymour":17fwqcjy said:
mikeak":17fwqcjy said:

You do realize it was a pricey line because the rookie salary cap hadn’t been put into place and we were playing some young players (Okung, Carp) big cash they hadn’t earned.

Today’s salaries more accurately reflect player quality.

Do people really believe that Pete thinks Cable is a big problem and refuses to replace him because of loyalty? Or do you believe Pete has lost the ability to look critically at his coaching staff? Because that’s essentially what you are saying, when you state Cable is problem number 1.

I believe that the OL problems are multifaceted. I believe that Cable is an issue, but not because he can’t coach. Rather I think he’s a mediocre evaluator of talent and that the ZBS has lost much of its lustre after recent rule changes. But these are merely opinions and in the end I believe Pete knows way more about football and good coaching than I ever will. So I trust that he’d release Cable if his coaching was not up to snuff.

I’m hoping the offense goes on a tear to shut most of you naysayers up. We have very good coaches. You don’t win so consistently without very good coaches.

I’d love to have Sean McVey and Jim Schwartz as our coordinators. But not likely to happen due to contract situations. So I’ll love the guys we have.

Yes to highlighted question. They all bought in that they could coach up the young oline, so they all have their hand in it. Cable fell flat on his face the last 2 years, much of this was just plain bad personnel moves, poor talent evaluation, and players that fail to improve.
Pete used up most of the $$ on other players and even though the oline projects failed there was (and still is) no way to fire Cable when Pete bought in and then took his tools ($$).
Now to your cap argument? I have nothing, that deserves nothing, and is a laughable explanation to a 1 vs 27 stat. The entire league (that we lead in spending) worked under the same parameters, not just us.

OP
OP
M

mikeak

Reaction score
Chapow":6712lzf4 said:
mikeak":6712lzf4 said:
Mad Dog":6712lzf4 said:

Except we were already winning and yet this site was still chock full of super negative and hyper critical threads and posts.

Some people may be concerned that we only have one win against an opponent with a winning record......

Seymour

Reaction score
mikeak":3sxrehh7 said:
Chapow":3sxrehh7 said:
mikeak":3sxrehh7 said:
Mad Dog":3sxrehh7 said:

Some people may be concerned that we only have one win against an opponent with a winning record......

And others will cherry pick through those stats like (the last 4 games) to support their narrative that we win therefore all coaches are great.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
mikeak":2yyoicjs said:
Chapow":2yyoicjs said:
mikeak":2yyoicjs said:
Mad Dog":2yyoicjs said:

Patriots only have two.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
mikeak":3daimxmo said:

Not really a good proven way to evaluate a team though is it. Can't really determine a strength of schedule till the end of the season.

OP
OP
M

mikeak

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":213qldzu said:
mikeak":213qldzu said:

Not really a good proven way to evaluate a team though is it. Can't really determine a strength of schedule till the end of the season.

Agreed that was my point - lets not get hung up on the record when determining how we are playing

The eyeball clearly says that we were inept at playing offense in the first few games but are improving by leaps and bounds, but it will be interesting to see how it holds up against elite teams

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
mikeak":u7b3fa7q said:
Chapow":u7b3fa7q said:
mikeak":u7b3fa7q said:
Mad Dog":u7b3fa7q said:

And some people have absurd and illogical expectations and when they are not met respond with immature responses that remind me of a second-grader.

OP
OP
M

mikeak

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1o0yliuc said:
when they are not met respond with immature responses that remind me of a second-grader.

I hope you see the irony with this statement