Hawks vs Texans Encore Presentation

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
Check your TV listings. The NFL Network will be airing the game again at 8:00pm EST. Not sure what time in the PST. Could be the same time, 5:00pm PST, or maybe 8:00pm PST.

I will DVR it and tuck it away to rewatch over & over as I have with 48 and other games.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
If you can, can you focus on Duane Brown, I've only watched him in the highlights but came away thoroughly impressed.

Seahawks threw the kitchen sink at Brown, I saw him battle against:

Clark
Richardson
Bennett
Reed
Freeney
Smith
Wright
And possibly Jackson and Jones.

I'm not a chart dude and using a phone for video doesnt help.

Brown completely stonewalled Clark (2-3 times), Richardson (once), Reed (once). Brown mirrors very well, and holds his ground, once he stops you, you stay stopped.

Light and day in comparison to Odhiambo vs Clowney. Odhiambo had trouble staying on the block and had to make 2nd efforts to give Russ time.

Didn't see much pass situations battle between Brown and Bennett, Seahawks seemed intent on crashing Bennett inside more than on the edge.

Freeney had the most success against Brown, which was odd to me, these guys weren't playing 2 weeks ago. But they are familiar AFC South rivals. So there's history. In the highlights, Freeney had 2-3 pressures. He had a nice speed rush against Brown but Brown recovered enough to keep him off the Watson. If there wasn't a jailbreak of inside pressure, Freeney might have got a strip sack, or Watson would have pulled the ball down and had space to run. Game of inches.

Smith also had a nice speed rush ala Freeney on Brown but Brown didn't let Smith get as much ground.

Wright was scrappy with Brown in his lone highlight but Wright was handled for the most part.

Brown also seemed pretty agile and nimble for his size. He was probably the only guy that could catch Thomas on his pick-6. And made great effort. His conditioning doesn't look to be an issue.

Brown also showed great awareness both in his recovery and knowing where Watson was going, when he moved around the pocket. I also saw at times great combo blocks with his TE and OG at times. Every double team Brown was involved in, they completely blew up he Seahawks defender.

Was not a great game to get an understanding on Brown's run blocking and I didn't see him much in the 2nd level. But he at least engaged with a body. Didn't seem him whiff once in any pass or run block in the highlights.

Brown overall displayed everything you want in an LT. Despite playing in his first game, on the road, against a talented D-Line, in the midst of some political drama and distraction. He handled himself very well. This guy imo is much better than Okung and probably the closest thing we will ever see to Walter Jones in a Seahawks uniform in this day and age of football. Not saying he's Jones, just somewhere in between better than Okung and less than big Walt.

One more thing Brown does not hold, what so ever, he has active hands and mirrors movement very well, keeping his body in front of his block, disengaging and reengaging his hands when needed, something I also saw from Pocic in this game. These are players who block with thier footwork and their minds rather than just brute force. It's crazy something that simple is overlooked. The more you stay locked on to a defender moving backward, the more you lose the leverage built in your footwork. It seems great blockers either punish defenders off the ball or they make multiple blocks within one battle. Resetting their feet to maintain leverage and keep thier guy in front of them .

I'm excited for that. Brown and Pocic could develop into an elite left side in this league. Sooner rather than later. That's going to free up Graham's duties as an in-line blocker and allow him to be utilized as a mismatch and that's going to allow Britt to help the Right side more.

That is all for now.

Well, I leave you with one more observation. Watch Graham's first TD, Luke Willson lined up as an H-Back made a funny effort of a block by jumping on two Texans defenders, essentially taking out all three Texan defenders crashing on the Offensive right out of the play. Greatest, well most entertaining block I've ever seen and was a great laugh.

Latest posts