Pete blames himself for RB issues. Lacy to get workload

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Pete's press conference was on 710 just now. Says he is to blame for RB issues. Not allowing anyone to get into a rhythm. Lacy to get the workload.

:irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers:

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Dang, Rawls must be in the dog house.

As long as they're giving one of the backs the lion's share of the workload I'll be relieved that they're trying to get someone into a rhythm.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I think there may be something to this. None of our RBs have much on field experience this season due to all of the shuffling.

Either way, it's a good week to experiment. We still have one game left of our three post-bye offensive tuneup games (@Giants, Texans, Redskins). I'd like to see 24 points or more from the offense at a minimum.

After this Sunday we'll be looking at a series of six solid defenses in @Cards, Falcons, @49ers, Eagles, @Jags, and then our all important rematch vs. the Rams. We can win some of those with a struggling offense and a solid defense, but to go 4-2 or better during that stretch we will need our offense to be playing up to the potential they've shown at times.

Seymour

Reaction score
Hopefully Pete will soon learn, what myself and many others already know.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I really wanted to see them make Rawls the feature back, but I'm glad they at least named someone as the feature back. Hopefully I'm wrong about Lacy and he turns it up a notch after getting the go ahead. We don't need a 5YPC back, just someone who gets a solid 3 most of the time to keep defenses honest.

OP
OP
ImTheScientist

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Seymour":3bu9gcf3 said:

That Rawls sucks..... and Lacy is best in the 4th after wearing on a defence all game. Give Lacy the rock.

Yes, based on his press conference he has learned that.

Seymour

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":2fzoaudt said:
Seymour":2fzoaudt said:

That Rawls sucks..... and Lacy is best in the 4th after wearing on a defence all game. Give Lacy the rock.

That would be incorrect Dr. Science.

Pete is attempting to learn that Lacy just aint it. They both such ATM, but Rawls has the best shot to succeed

Anthony!

Reaction score
AgentDib":36esdyi9 said:
I think there may be something to this. None of our RBs have much on field experience this season due to all of the shuffling.

Either way, it's a good week to experiment. We still have one game left of our three post-bye offensive tuneup games (@Giants, Texans, Redskins). I'd like to see 24 points or more from the offense at a minimum.

After this Sunday we'll be looking at a series of six solid defenses in @Cards, Falcons, @49ers, Eagles, @Jags, and then our all important rematch vs. the Rams. We can win some of those with a struggling offense and a solid defense, but to go 4-2 or better during that stretch we will need our offense to be playing up to the potential they've shown at times.

Kind of confused on the struggling offense thing, I mean we have scored 154 pointws over the last 5 for a 30 point avg and have avg 330 yards passing a game, so not sure the offense is struggling right now. Now the run game is struggling but no the offense

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Eddie Lacy has some kind of magic. He went from being released to getting the majority of the workload....wow!

Anthony!

Reaction score
Seymour":2hp07yh9 said:
ImTheScientist":2hp07yh9 said:
Seymour":2hp07yh9 said:

Pete is attempting to learn that Lacy just aint it. They both such ATM, but Rawls has the best shot to succeed

All I know is I hope he does not go back and try that pound the rock at all cost crap. Keep it as is pass to set up run, but pass first.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Pete's saying that he's to blame for letting Tom Cable swap running backs and offensive lineman in and out, never letting anybody get in to a rhythm.

He's finally putting his foot down and saying, "Enough! we allow the offensive line to build continuity, and we focus on one back so that they can get their feet underneath them!"

"Now, I don't have much faith in Eddie Lacy, so I'll put him out there as the sacrificial lamb this Sunday, and when he fails, I can deactivate him, and go with Rawls for the rest of the season!"

"AND, I apologize for letting Tom Cable and Darrell Bevell run Alex Collins, FedEx nominee for Ground Player of the week, out of town."

That's me, parsing Pete.

IMHO, Thomas Rawls doesn't get the start because of the fumble in the prior game, the chop block in the last game, and all of his miscues. He needs to relax, and maybe sitting on the bench will help him do that.

Now, to be clear, I blame Rawls struggles on the coaching. Thomas wanted to play, but he knew he was going to get rotated in and out, so figures he needs to really excel when he gets his 1 or 2 plays. Thus, he "overtries" and ends up screwing up.

Lastly I have to say FINALLY!!! and...get out yer popcorn. :snack:

kidhawk

Reaction score
I didn't get to catch this live, but I did watch his press conference here:

[urltargetblank]http://www.seahawks.com/video/2017/11/01/pete-carroll-week-9-press-conference[/urltargetblank]

Here's my quick transcript of actual words....

REPORTER: Characterize what you have in your RB room right now

PETE: I think we're pretty versatile...different styles of runners...Gonna see a lot of Eddie this week and uhh Thomas those guys are both physical tough guys...we got one of the biggest running backs in the league and we got quickness and speed when you go all the way to CJ and what McKissic can do...so we've got real versatility and real style in those guys...I'm hoping we'll get kind of in rhythm...I don't feel like we've been in rhythm..I've held 'em back a little bit by spreading it around quite a bit and trying to figure that out and so as we zero in here heading into the second half I think...I'm hoping we're going to make some real headway

REPORTER: So does Eddie then kind of...it sounds like Eddie might be the guy that you wanna be...

Pete: Exactly as you say that...It sounds like kinda maybe (big smile on his face)

Granted it does sound as though Lacy will get most of the carries this week but he's also acting a bit coy about it as well. Pretty much classic Pete to say alot and say nothing all at the same time. He definitely left it open to interpret however you please. Hopefully though he does get it and puts Lacy in as a feature back (assuming that he's being forthright when he said we'd see a lot of him this week) and it helps give us a bit more of a running attack to offset what has been an excellent passing attack of late.

kidhawk

Reaction score
RussB":2342p4bd said:
Rawls has been worse than lacy this season.

Rawls has made bigger mistakes, but he hasn't been any worse. Lacy has a slightly better Yards Per Carry aveerage and Rawls has a better Yards per catch average. They've really been about equal. The reason I like Rawls over Lacy is that Lacy just doesn't seem to do a lot when he's hit whereas Rawls fights for every inch. And I was very excited to give Lacy a shot here when we signed him. I do hope that maybe it's just the shared carries that's the issue. I don't care who it is as long as they can get us a consistent 3+ yards when they carry that ball.

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
What in God's name does Pete see from Lacy that makes him think giving him a whole bunch more carries will allow this offense to be more effective??? Having said that, I don't think replacing Lacy's name in the previous sentence with Rawls would change the question. Aside from J.D., our running backs (all three of them) are combining to get 2.3 yards per carry.

Man, I thought losing Chris Carson would hurt. But this is ridiculous.

warden

Reaction score
Running back by committee seldom works Rawls has been a disappointment so far, just last year in the playoffs he broke a Seahawk rushing record against Detroit. The year before he did really well in his 8 game stretch. This year that he is finally healthy, I expected good thing now from him but it has not happened. Has the play of the OL have him second guess that nags, has his injuries played with his mind? Do not know

OP
OP
ImTheScientist

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Seymour":dlyyo5uc said:
ImTheScientist":dlyyo5uc said:
Seymour":dlyyo5uc said:

Why does Rawls have the best chance?

Bobblehead

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":151kg7sl said:
Dang, Rawls must be in the dog house.

As long as they're giving one of the backs the lion's share of the workload I'll be relieved that they're trying to get someone into a rhythm.
Have you noticed, he's only in, in passing downs.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

DJrmb

Reaction score
Lacy will be fine if the line gets consistent push and gives him the 3 yards (before contact) he needs to get going. Unfortunately, I don't see them improving that much with just the 1 addition and in time for the heavy playoff push. I think they'll need to go back to Rawls once they see that they need the quicker more agile jump-cut RB to hit the smaller creases that will be there with the new look line.

I'm hoping this is a test over the next 2 games to finally figure out if Lacy or Rawls will be the lead back. Give Lacy the carries this week against Washington, let him get a rhythm and into the game and see where he ends up overall by the end of the game with 20+ carries. Then next game against Arizona do the same. Give Rawls 20+ carries, let him get into the flow of the game and see where he ends up by the end. I just don't think either Rawls or Lacy is the type of back that can succeed in a RBBC. They need to figure out which one they will role with and stick with them.