FG kicking is a big part of Pete's game plan

nwHawk

Reaction score
Make no mistake, in Seattle, Pete has always played tight games with an uber confident approach - play lights out on defense and take steady points (mainly field goals). Him not having trust in his kicker puts a lot of pressure on the offense to score TDs, and we're not built that way.

If they keep Walsh, which they may do, I see them changing their offensive aggressiveness. I think we'll open up the play calling earlier to try to get into the end zone.

Any thoughts?

NJlargent

Reaction score
If this is true we should give Walsh an immediate extension

Threedee

Reaction score
nwHawk":2mtj74t7 said:
Make no mistake, in Seattle, Pete has always played tight games with an uber confident approach - play lights out on defense and take steady points (mainly field goals). Him not having trust in his kicker puts a lot of pressure on the offense to score TDs, and we're not built that way.

If they keep Walsh, which they may do, I see them changing their offensive aggressiveness. I think we'll open up the play calling earlier to try to get into the end zone.

Any thoughts?

Well, I think its mere inexistence puts pressure on our offense to score TDs.

OP
OP
nwHawk

nwHawk

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":3a939dze said:
I don't know. I remember a pretty explosive offense when he was at USC.

I agree about USC, and that's why I said, "in Seattle". He doesn't have the luxury of loading up on top flight talent and coaches. I think the oline rule changes a couple of years ago has impacted Cable in a very negative way, which has helped to make us easier to defend. If we could run, we could put up big points this year - but we can't.

fire_marshall_bill

Reaction score
He has stayed the same in that respect all seven years. I don't see it changing. As much as I want to see Walsh gone after today, chances are he won't be this bad again. Pete is fine with winning 20-17.

chris98251

Reaction score
The only time I have seen him turn the hounds loose is when we played Harbaugh and the 49ers, both on offense and defense, especially the first few years.

The 49ers accused him of running up the score if I remember correctly as well, pretty much since then other then defensive touchdowns and short field score we have been all about control.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
nwHawk":2ceklrzv said:

Any thoughts?
I believe this is 100 percent accurate -- and time-tested successful. It's not going to change and it shouldn't due to one rare defeat. There's no doubt in my mind that if Earl is in the game, the Skins don't rip off those big-chunk gainers at the end to win.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It is why you shouldn't really expect much from Pete anymore.

He is easily the best coach the Seahawks ever had, but his loyalty to substandard to borderline incompetents that he retains loyalty to will hold him back.

Pinning games on a FG kicker that was CUT FOR MISSING FGS REPEATEDLY is one. Thinking you can field an incompetent OC is another.

Bottomline, we will always have a competitive team in the regular season, we will probably make the playoffs, and then get immediately bounced out after the wildcard. Because we are not going to be able to even be competitive against good teams with good coaching staffs. They will beat us by multiple touchdowns. The game is usually over by halftime.

One large reason is the stupidity of thinking getting FGs in the redzone instead of TDs is going to continue to work for you. Another is not getting rid of incompetent assistant coaches.