Thoughts after re watching

getnasty

Reaction score
-Penalties derailed about 6 drives, offense was better then I thought 3 missed fg's and a ton of penalties were brutal

-Russ was worse then I remembered, missed a few deep balls and should have been picked at least twice more. His biggest problem is until he gets where he can hit his back foot and deliver the ball were always gonna struggle on offense especially without a run game. Our offense is literally just drop back run around and make something happen, it makes Russ look like a hero and the OL look worse then it really is. Not sure if receivers just aren't getting open or Russ isn't trusting it but that split second hesitation kills us. The best I've ever seen Russ was the end of 2015 when he would just shred defense from the pocket and then use his legs as a last resort. He's the exact opposite of that right now.

-Defense was amazing outside of 2 drives

-At least Walsh's misses weren't absolutely gimmes
in perfect weather

-Penalties

-Jarren Reed is getting a lot better on passing downs

-We need a running back that can just be solid

-Special teams isn't as special as it once was

-Spike the damn ball Russ

-Coaches, Offense, Defense and Special teams all
had a hand in the loss today. It was a real team effort and we didn't deserve to win today.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Good analysis.
I do believe we win if Earl's back there. He's our closer and the Skins hit a walk-off homer against middle relief.

NJlargent

Reaction score
We would have won if our coaches had us prepared to play. The eagles and rams played struggling teams and buried them early. Those are good coaches. Ours blow and have been hidden and protected by surreal talent that is now old and tired.

OP
OP
G

getnasty

Reaction score
NJlargent":oh84rggx said:
We would have won if our coaches had us prepared to play. The eagles and rams played struggling teams and buried them early. Those are good coaches. Ours blow and have been hidden and protected by surreal talent that is now old and tired.

The 2 coaches of those teams have 0 combine playoff wins so let's not go overboard.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
The receivers are not creating a lot separation because Darrell Bevell has had the same route tree since 1992. He doesn't know any better and hasn't shown any inclination to learn from what new NFL offenses are doing. Look how much the Rams offense has improved since going from Fisher's OC to McVay's. The Seahawks' own passing game would see similar improvement if they moved on from Bevell to a more astute play caller.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
It's not due to route tree's. The Redskins game planned correctly. They focused on keeping a spy on Russ and taking away the deep ball. Unfortunately we didn't even try anything underneath until the 4th quarter and when we did it opened things up.

The officiating was disgusting to say the least. They had a microscope on us the whole game and blinders to our opponents. Penalties took out any chance we had at establishing a running game because 2nd and 20 in 6+ drives forces you top pass. We actually had some success running the ball but were constantly forced away from it.

This is really a putrid loss. We game planned poorly and executed even worse. I don't normally blame Bevell and it might also be Pete but drawing up a deep ball game plan in that weather was just dumb. Even dumber though was sticking with it when Russ is trying to give the ball away and the officials are dissecting the O-line play. I was screaming to shorten up the routes and take what was being given. It would have opened up the deep ball for later and also cut down on the O-line mistakes. As well as given the running game more chance.

All that being said. Walsh needs to go. This guy is a mental midget of gigantic proportion. If he makes even one of those field goals we probably win. If he makes even 2 out of 3, we coast. Unbelievable performance by him. I might have to go buy a Walsh jersey since every time I buy a jersey of a current player they are gone soon after. Yes I own a Harvin jersey. Sorry about that.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I'm as big of a Russ fan as anyone, but yeah he was way off yesterday. As was the entire team in different parts of the game. I'm thinking enough of the long bomb jump passes. It worked against the Texans. Not something that should continually be attempted.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
After thinking it over, the best play for Russell at the end was to spike it as you said. Would had at least 20 seconds on the clock, plenty of time to pick up another 10 yards or so and another spike to set up a tying FG.........

StoneCold

Reaction score
hawknation2017":1uhiyxo7 said:
The receivers are not creating a lot separation because Darrell Bevell has had the same route tree since 1992. He doesn't know any better and hasn't shown any inclination to learn from what new NFL offenses are doing. Look how much the Rams offense has improved since going from Fisher's OC to McVay's. The Seahawks' own passing game would see similar improvement if they moved on from Bevell to a more astute play caller.

This could very well be true that we are too predictable, but I saw several plays where we had open receivers and Russell did not throw to them or threw late and made it more difficult than needed. On the play at the end of the game where he was sacked there was a receiver crossing left to right 8 yards down the field. All he had to do was pull the trigger. I think you have to put some of this on RW recognizing what's available. As I noted in another thread, the game should never have come down to that play as we missed 3 field goals. You can't piss away points like that and expect to win.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Russ needs to stop reading about how great he is.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
hawknation2017":36ueuy2t said:
The receivers are not creating a lot separation because Darrell Bevell has had the same route tree since 1992.

The offense looked a lot different after the 2015 bye. He just doesn't deploy that playbook until the second half - or, in Sunday's case, until the fourth quarter. How else do you explain why we look so much better on offense in the second half? It's like night and day.

Anthony!

Reaction score
StoneCold":pr087u94 said:
hawknation2017":pr087u94 said:

This could very well be true that we are too predictable, but I saw several plays where we had open receivers and Russell did not throw to them or threw late and made it more difficult than needed. On the play at the end of the game where he was sacked there was a receiver crossing left to right 8 yards down the field. All he had to do was pull the trigger. I think you have to put some of this on RW recognizing what's available. As I noted in another thread, the game should never have come down to that play as we missed 3 field goals. You can't piss away points like that and expect to win.

First I agree Rw did not play well. However it is easy for us to say hey that guy is open, however, there are things we cant see or know. 1 was he open when it was his turn in the progression? 2 was the down and distance good for that throw, Did he have a throwing lane, did we not see something he saw like a braking defender. For me given his play since entering the league, I tend to say there was something that made him not throw it. But in the end no one really knows, all we can do is guess.

There was a lot wrong with the game yesterday in no order
oline
penalties
ST
Kicker
QB
Defense when we need it most
Coaching
play calling'play desing
run game
Wrs

This was a total team loss no player or phase of the game is immune to it

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
There was one play in particular that I could see from my seats plain as day. They had a 3rd and 1, and there was literally nobody between the nose tackle and the defensive end. Russ could have crawled to the first down. Instead, they end up having to punt. He's better than that, he has to be able to see an easy QB sneak. And when I say it was open for taking, it was WIDE open.

kidhawk

Reaction score
getnasty":5icxvugl said:
-Penalties derailed about 6 drives, offense was better then I thought 3 missed fg's and a ton of penalties were brutal

-Russ was worse then I remembered, missed a few deep balls and should have been picked at least twice more. His biggest problem is until he gets where he can hit his back foot and deliver the ball were always gonna struggle on offense especially without a run game. Our offense is literally just drop back run around and make something happen, it makes Russ look like a hero and the OL look worse then it really is. Not sure if receivers just aren't getting open or Russ isn't trusting it but that split second hesitation kills us. The best I've ever seen Russ was the end of 2015 when he would just shred defense from the pocket and then use his legs as a last resort. He's the exact opposite of that right now.

-Defense was amazing outside of 2 drives

-At least Walsh's misses weren't absolutely gimmes
in perfect weather

-Penalties

-Jarren Reed is getting a lot better on passing downs

-We need a running back that can just be solid

-Special teams isn't as special as it once was

-Spike the damn ball Russ

-Coaches, Offense, Defense and Special teams all
had a hand in the loss today. It was a real team effort and we didn't deserve to win today.

I think we are in agreement with most of this, the only difference that we may have is in the running game. I think it was showing some signs of developing and Rawls was looking decent (not all pro or anything but he was hitting holes and running pretty well). Lacy was even getting positive yards before he got hurt. I just think with this weather we should have gone to a shorter passing game and a running game. Wilson was definitely off on the deeper stuff today, and who knows how much the weather played a factor, but either way, the short game should have played a bigger role. Then you add on the massive amount of self inflicted wins and we lost today. I don't usually like this phrase, but today, we did more to lose this game than the Redskins did to win it. We were our worst enemy.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":39wzs8df said:
hawknation2017":39wzs8df said:
The receivers are not creating a lot separation because Darrell Bevell has had the same route tree since 1992.

That's empirically incorrect. The offense looked a lot different after the 2015 bye. He just doesn't deploy that playbook until the second half - or, in Sunday's case, until the fourth quarter. How else do you explain why we look so much better on offense in the second half? It's like night and day.

That's because, in those critical moments down the stretch, Russell Wilson makes his rudimentary route tree look good. You can't limit yourself to looking only at consequences. Bevell's play calling is still very old school and always has been. Offensive coordinators now are using more sophisticated combo routes than Bevell is capable of contemplating.

That's just one criticism of Bevell, which I call the simplicity of his "science." My bigger problem with Bevell concerns the "art" of his play calling: his inability to react to in-game circumstances by failing to choose particular plays that amplify our strengths of the moment and exploit the weaknesses of our opponents.

My final criticism is with his personality as a motivator of men. My impression is that Bevell has learned more from Russell than Russell has learned from him, which is a scary thought because it should be the other way around. I feel Wilson needs a stronger personality who will challenge him, push him, and even anger him at times to motivate and develop him to be great. Bevell has not shown to be that person; he is more of a dutiful buddy to Russell.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Russ was def off, but I have some disagreements. On the O-line comments, what I noticed was a lot of push up the middle, which either prevents Russ from stepping into the throw or getting a clean pocket. I don't think Russ simply bails from the pocket for no reason, I think that's an assumption. But from the Qbs point of view, a heavy push up the middle plus trying to feel whether pressure is coming from the right or left in a split second is difficult

As the announcers pointed out, there was tight coverage all game. Norman is no slouch, and this same defense defeated the Rams. Let's keep that in mind

Our receivers are not great enough to make plays on their own. We don't have an OBJ or Julio Jones. Our Rbs are not making things easy either. That's my biggest worry. Bevel needs to get our receivers open in space more often. Get more creative. Russ needs to be sharper down the season to cover for our other deficiencies

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Scorpion05":279i06cc said:
Russ was def off, but I have some disagreements. On the O-line comments, what I noticed was a lot of push up the middle, which either prevents Russ from stepping into the throw or getting a clean pocket. I don't think Russ simply bails from the pocket for no reason, I think that's an assumption. But from the Qbs point of view, a heavy push up the middle plus trying to feel whether pressure is coming from the right or left in a split second is difficult

A lot of that push was Washington blitzing, and I mean recklessly. Six, sometimes seven guys. Bevell never came up with ways to beat the blitz, for some confounding reason, and Wilson was lucky to escape so many sacks.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Bobblehead":5apifktx said:
The entire team needs to stop reading about how great they are.

Fixed.

I sensed a collective "we're pretty awesome after that great win over Houston and look at all the talking heads now picking us for the SB again" hangover for the entire game, and top to bottom from the roster and coaches.

Came out flat, ill prepared and not fired up or focused to beat a decimated Skins team that we should have beat by 2-3 TD's.

This is NOT how championship teams go about their business. That loss yesterday is on Pete, period.

mikeak

Reaction score
getnasty":19blo7dn said:
NJlargent":19blo7dn said:

The 2 coaches of those teams have 0 combine playoff wins so let's not go overboard.

They also had 1 year combined head-coaching experience coming in so lets not make it like they keep failing in the playoff please...

One of them is the youngest in history. I think you can't argue against the fact that they have their teams playing a lot more fun offensive football than Seattle

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Blitzer88":3f3ne5dd said:
After thinking it over, the best play for Russell at the end was to spike it as you said. Would had at least 20 seconds on the clock, plenty of time to pick up another 10 yards or so and another spike to set up a tying FG.........
LOL, You mean a Chance for ANOTHER wide Left miss by Walsh?