Missed most of the game, how was the o line?

RussB

Reaction score
Couldnt catch the full game, saw bits of it. What the heck happened? I know they had a lead and shaq griffin gave up a big play that set up the TD.

How was the oline ? Did duane brown play well?

Rat

Reaction score
I keep hearing they were awful, but I thought Russ consistently had a nice pocket to step up into. Maybe my standards are just low, but it looked to me like Russ was gun-shy.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Brown played relatively well, the other 4 guys though... not so much.

nategreat

Reaction score
Honestly, I hate to say it, but penalties and pretty poor play by Russell Wilson standards cost us this game. Offensive line definitely had a decent day blocking compared to what I've seen in the past. And I thought our running game looked better than it has too.... I think what we saw yesterday is pretty promising, to be optimistic anyway.

White Devil

Reaction score
Defense took their most disruptive player and lined them up over the weakness for the entire game.

Any other week that would have been Odihambo.

But with the addition of Brown, that distinction now belongs on the right side of the line where Ifedi, the rebirth of the Frankenstein monster, resides.

The guy makes Gilliam look like an all pro.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Yeah Ifedi continues to be a dumpster fire. He got beat all day long (the whiff on the last play was so bad that it was almost comical). Wilson was running for his life and almost always to the right side due to Ifedi's guy being in the backfield and Russ running away from the over pursue. Brown looked pretty good. The rest sucked as usual.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
They gave up a lot of pressures, and each of them took bad peanalties.

Brown didn't look bad but also didn't look that great either.

Far too msny penalties for holding, false start, etc. the penalties took quite a few yards away from the O which was having trouble moving the ball.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Penalties were a big problem for the line until the 4th quarter. All five starters were bruised with penalties with Aboushi leading the pack with two holding calls.

However, only two sacks allowed and a handful of pressures (mostly from the guards Aboushi & Pocic). There were also a number of plays where Russell had an eternity in the pocket, which was a stark contrast from any previous game in recent memory.

With Brown manning the LT position, I'm counting on this line getting much better.

A-Dog

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1nybtq94 said:

Far too msny penalties for holding, false start, etc. the penalties took quite a few yards away from the O which was having trouble moving the ball.

This.

They didn't give up a lot of insta-pressures (missed assignments, or beaten off the snap), but Washington did a great job of collapsing the pocket almost constantly. Russell was never comfortable in large part because even when he wasn't getting touched the pocket was closing in on him. Washington also employed a spy much of the time, limiting Russell's ability to scramble for yardage. Brown and Pocic seem to be getting free passes but they were culpable here as well.

Mojambo

Reaction score
Left side good. Right side as bad as they've played all year.

I don't care how good a communicator Aboushi is, they've GOT to get him out of there. He's awful.

Can't do it this week, but the week after, I'm giving Tobin all the reps at RT and putting Glowinski or someone off the street at LG.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
A-Dog":28442zgk said:
jammerhawk":28442zgk said:

This.

They didn't give up a lot of insta-pressures (missed assignments, or beaten off the snap), but Washington did a great job of collapsing the pocket almost constantly. Russell was never comfortable in large part because even when he wasn't getting touched the pocket was closing in on him. Washington also employed a spy much of the time, limiting Russell's ability to scramble for yardage. Brown and Pocic seem to be getting free passes but they were culpable here as well.

Pocic is a rookie playing a totally new position, so maybe that is why people are not killing him over getting pancaked on the game-killing sack on the 2nd to last play of the game. The kid just needs to get stronger.

I'm giving Brown a mulligan on the false start and missed assignments because he has only been here a week. When he actually got his hands directed in the right area, he looked solid.

DJrmb

Reaction score
I didn't get to watch all of the game unfortunately, I had to listen to a good portion of it on the radio while driving so I kind of have to just go off Raible's opinion (and not my own eyes) but it sounded like they played like complete garbage. Yes, the penalties. However, I also remember hearing "Russ drops back and is under pressure again" so many times I couldn't hardly believe it, it seamed like every single snap on a couple of drives. Also remember Warren Moon talking about Russ getting hit on almost every play after the got rid of it saying "I don't know if he can hold up all game getting hit every play like this".

A-Dog

Reaction score
Brown looked okay, but he was giving a lot of ground even when he got hands on his guy. He wasn't close to being dominant to the point where RW didn't have to think about pressure from his blind side. I agree that we should cut him some slack while he gets his feet under him (so to speak), but his performance was certainly not beyond reproach.

Pocic's struggles seemed to center around him getting overpowered, so I agree that he needs to add strength. He did make some nice blocks on the move. It would be nice if one of our OGs was consistently solid in one-on-one pass blocking so that Britt could help on the other side, but Aboushi isn't that guy.

All that said, I think this line is good enough to win with if they can cut down on penalties and Walsh can make his FGs when drives stall out.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
DJrmb":286mu38l said:
I didn't get to watch all of the game unfortunately, I had to listen to a good portion of it on the radio while driving so I kind of have to just go off Raible's opinion (and not my own eyes) but it sounded like they played like complete garbage. Yes, the penalties. However, I also remember hearing "Russ drops back and is under pressure again" so many times I couldn't hardly believe it, it seamed like every single snap on a couple of drives. Also remember Warren Moon talking about Russ getting hit on almost every play after the got rid of it saying "I don't know if he can hold up all game getting hit every play like this".

Wilson was hit on 9 of 45 attempts, including two sacks. Cousins was hit 11 of 31 attempts, including six sacks.

Yes, that is still too many. Some were missed assignments (mainly Brown), some were blitzes that got through at the last second, some were whiffed blocks, and some were guys just getting blown up (mainly Aboushi and Pocic). Washington blitzed a lot, and we failed to take advantage because Bevell isn't utilizing enough screens or combo routes.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Wilson was running after his life AFTER the route trees had been run and nobody got open. He did have to take off pretty quick because of a ton of heavy blitzing. In terms of pass pro, Wilson had the time he needed, but the Washington secondary knew how to shut down our receivers and made our OL look worse than it was.

The penalties were inexcusable. Even Duane Brown had one.

Mojambo

Reaction score
Agreed that the receivers had their worst game of the season. They were coming off of their best.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Mojambo":oun04hdg said:
Agreed that the receivers had their worst game of the season. They were coming off of their best.
It is the fault of Bevell. He kept drawing up idiotic plays given the situation. All deep throws, when all we needed was a quick route to make Washington pay for blitzing us. None of that happened and we kept going for 50/50 shots down the field.