How do we Fix our Running Game?

Scorpion05

Reaction score
I don't want to overreact to a loss. It was rough. But I slept on it and I am seriously worried about our running game

Eddie Lacy is slow. Rawls has lost his instincts/vision. Prosise can't get on the field. McKissic is a gadget guy but not a true Rb(Tavon Austin ish)

Our receivers are good to very good, but not groundbreaking enough to be a pass first offense. If a defense with a good to great secondary focuses on the pass, they can stall drives

Our offense seemed to be pressing a bit yesterday, trying to force the issue. You can't do that every week. Great teams can run the ball, and although I consider us contenders we need to fix the running game. How do we fix it?

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Carroll/Bevell/Cable need to allow Rawls an opportunity to get into a rhythm. He had a couple nice runs, and that could have been something to build on if they had stuck with it. I think it's also time to diversify the run game with more option offense and pitching the ball outside. Both of our tackles now are strong run blockers, and we should try to exploit that to set up the play action passing and screen game.

SpokaneHawks

Reaction score
Look how Peterson is doing in Arizona and what a difference it's making. Didn't we bring him in for a look?

Seymour

Reaction score
1st clue.

Stay out of 1st and 20.

2nd clue, in order to do that ^^^ time to scrap "the Seahawk beater" (project Ifedi).

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Rawls looked better yesterday with some better blocking. Plus, he can create a little (unlike Lacy). I'd say go with him. We don't have any other options anyway.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Seymour":l8wb9ncf said:
1st clue.

Stay out of 1st and 20.

2nd clue, in order to do that ^^^ time to scrap "the Seahawk beater" (project Ifedi).

Aboushi had two holding penalties, Ifedi had one, Britt got an unnecessary roughness call, and Pocic and Brown each had a false start. There were no offensive penalties in the 4th quarter.

I hope you will learn to become less of a black and white thinker, i.e. Ifedi bad, everyone else good. Aboushi was clearly the worst lineman in this game, followed by Pocic, while Ifedi had his share of positive moments in both run blocking and pass protection.

ivotuk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":16jk9qpw said:
Rawls looked better yesterday with some better blocking. Plus, he can create a little (unlike Lacy). I'd say go with him. We don't have any other options anyway.

:ditto: a

It's time to commit to Rawls

Exittium

Reaction score
ivotuk":10d3uzqk said:
MontanaHawk05":10d3uzqk said:

:ditto: a

It's time to commit to Rawls
Agreed Rawls once he got into a rhythm we went away from what was starting to work.

Seymour

Reaction score
hawknation2017":1mi60cgu said:
Seymour":1mi60cgu said:
1st clue.

Stay out of 1st and 20.

Aboushi had two holding penalties, Ifedi had one, Britt got an unnecessary roughness call, and Pocic and Brown each had a false start. There were no offensive penalties in the 4th quarter.

I hope you will learn to become less of a black and white thinker, i.e. Ifedi bad, everyone else good. Aboushi was clearly the worst lineman in this game, followed by Pocic, while Ifedi had his share of positive moments in both run blocking and pass protection.
And if I point to Cable you say the same thing. It is black and white. Ifedi leads the entire NFL in penalties. Enjoy that black and white fact as we move backwards.

OP
OP
Scorpion05

Scorpion05

Reaction score
I agree with some here that it may be Rawls. My main worry is that we don't have that running back to rely on. The guy we can count on. It was Chris Carson, he was at least B+. I really hope Rawls can pull it together

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Seymour":1w3rit4y said:
hawknation2017":1w3rit4y said:
Seymour":1w3rit4y said:
1st clue.

Stay out of 1st and 20.

And if I point to Cable you say the same thing. It is black and white. Ifedi leads the entire NFL in penalties. Enjoy that black and white fact as we move backwards.

I said at the beginning of the season that moving Ifedi to RT would lead to more pressures because he lacks the lateral agility to play the position well against speed rushers at this level, and that he would compensate for this with more holding calls and false starts.

He is playing the position out of necessity because we have no other viable options at RT. As an outside blocker, Ifedi continues to show improvement in pass protection and has done some nice things in the run game. His continued progression -- and totally eliminating the penalties -- is going to be critical to rejuvenating the run game behind Rawls, Prosise, McKissic, etc.

Talk to me at the end of the year if Ifedi still has the most penalties. Right now, he is just a young prospect playing out of position for his team. He is still an explosive run blocker and getting better every week. I hope Brown will take him under his wing to help make him the best blocker he can be for this team. If he does clean up the penalties, the Seahawks should have two strong run blockers at the tackle positions.

daketah

Reaction score
This is a Tom Cable problem. I have no confidence that the running game will improve without removal of Tom Cable, or the acquisition of an RB who is as good as Marshawn Lynch was when the Seahawks last had a successful running game.

MrThortan

Reaction score
Rawls looked like the best back on the roster to me last night. Not amazing, but improved. Not sure why Lacy has the nod over him. I would like them to stick with Rawls and let him get going. Guy is still pretty young.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Rawls looked much smother and quicker on Sunday than he had earlier in the year while nursing a high ankle sprain. I think he's finally healthy and, combined with better run blocking at the tackle positions, that could make all the difference. Some of his reads looked a little off though, which is why it is so important to give him adequate carries to find a rhythm and to regain his vision.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
C.J. Prosise is supposed to play on Thursday, according to Carroll, which adds an important dimension to the running/screen game.

(Insert injury joke here.)

SeaChat

Reaction score
Our run game is well underway to being fixed. The addition of Duane Brown proved to make the difference we were hoping for, with gaps finally appearing where there have been none for our RBs in such a long time.

All our running backs started racking up yards on Sunday, why in God’s name we abandoned the run game and went with all those crazy play calls that leave no running threat in the back field, signaling a pass play, baffles the heck out of me. I know Russell will run his ass off on those plays and pick up some running yards that way, but why put him in that predicament repeatedly when we don’t have to and when it will ultimately result in him getting injured again.

Rawls is our guy, he’s back at a 100% and running smart and aggressively when the O-line gives him a lane to run thru. The key to beating the Redskins on Sunday was sticking to our run game, which was there for us to succeed with. Dallas did it a week before, passing for only 150 yards, and running it the rest of the time, and made it look easy doing it.

Why in God’s name Darrell and Pete insisted on trying to win this one the hardest way humanly possible, and handing the Redskins their best and only hope of beating us, by reverting to a passing game, will leave me scratching my head for awhile. I throw Pete under the bus on this one because he is the only one who can step in and ask Bevell to change direction in his play calling when it’s obviously not working.

Blaming Russell was wrong of him in my opinion, he knew going in that the Redskins strong suit was their pass defense, and that at best we would struggle against them, and would constantly be at risk of committing turnovers, which we did. There are times when Pete needs to step up and take the bull by the horn, it’s his team, and his job that will be on the line if days like this one occur very often.

The coaches and more importantly the offensive play calling strategy in this game cost us what should have been an easy win. It’s Pete’s job to recognize when they have chosen to pursue a strategy that won’t work, and shift gears while there is still time. Insisting on trying to force the passing game damn the torpedoes cost us in this one. I really hope the next time this sort of thing occurs he has the sense and the courage to step up and take control.

If I’m fact he truly believed that Russell was irratic and out of sync yesterday, and that was the problem, then pull his ass off the field and put Davis in. Pete is no dummy, he is the smartest coach in the NFL, hands down. He knew that Russell was not the problem or solution in this game, he threw Russell under the bus to try and cover for Darrell’s failed strategy. Maybe him and Russell agreed to that sacrifice before stepping up to the post game mic.

Bevells play calling, and abandonment of a working running game was what cost us this one. The 3 missed Field Goals didn’t help any either, that’s another thread in itself. Walsh is going to cost us big this season if he can’t fix whatever it is that keeps happening with him. I’m ready to throw him overboard and sign some undrafted out there wasting his talent as a cashier at a 7-11 or something. They would have to be pretty terrible to play worse than Walsh has this year for us. God I hate to admit it, my wife is right, we should have kept Houschka lol.

Also as a final thought, I think we need to give Ifedie some slack, he’s a rookie still and he has a connection with Duane Brown, who I believe will have a profound affect on his development. I think Ifedie will come around pretty quickly and prove to be one of our better acquisitions by seasons end.

Go Seahawks!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
We fix the run game by scrapping Pete's antiquated and predictable "gotta get the run game going" philosophy of pounding the ball, shortening the game with possession trying to beat your opponent into submission on the ground mentality.

We don't have the personnel, at the RB or O-line positions.

So knock it off Pete! You've got one of the most dynamic QB's in the history of the sport, BUT a QB who needs to get in rhythm and use that tempo to thrive. So stop trying to force him and everyone else on the offense into some slow plodding run the play clock down to 2 seconds every play type of offense.

Go up tempo more often, especially early to get Russell into rhythm..............and guess what, it'll fix all these other issues like the O-line's false starts cause they're not in their stance for 15 seconds, AND it'll help the run game by passing to set up the run, instead of running to set up the play action pass game.

Not sure why this is so hard for Pete, he's so damn stubborn.