Jarran Reed

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I just wanted to say, holy crap what an animal he is turning into. I know he was penalized for the sack on the TD drive, but I thought it was still a great play.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Yup, last year some people were saying he was a dud too in talking about how horrible our drafts have been. Sometimes you just need to give some of these guys a little time. Reed is a prime example of that. It will be interesting watching the different guys that step up from the last few drafts as the changing of the guard starts to take place over the next couple years.

mikeak

Reaction score
He is having a great season with that said

look at the Redskin O-line..........

I am simply not going to draw any conclusions on our ability to pressure the passer based on their o-line

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
DJrmb":ozz35h17 said:
Yup, last year some people were saying he was a dud too in talking about how horrible our drafts have been. Sometimes you just need to give some of these guys a little time. Reed is a prime example of that. It will be interesting watching the different guys that step up from the last few drafts as the changing of the guard starts to take place over the next couple years.

Good point. Also, the people saying he was a bust for last season are still wrong. He played well last year, he just didn't have the stats as often happens to DTs who play anchor.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
mikeak":j8r5jztp said:

I am simply not going to draw any conclusions on our ability to pressure the passer based on their o-line

Then it's a good thing he's also been performing well against better lines.

mikeak

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":6xiwzalh said:
mikeak":6xiwzalh said:

I agree which is why I was saying he is having a good season

scutterhawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2ubyejhv said:
mikeak":2ubyejhv said:

Absolutely.
I also thought he showed some promise last season with limited play time.

A-Dog

Reaction score
Most D-linemen don't really flourish until their 2nd year. Even Cortez Kennedy, the 3rd pick in the draft and a future hall of famer, started off slowly - he only started 2 games as a rookie and finished with just 1 sack. In his 2nd year he started every game, totaled 6.5 sacks, and made the pro-bowl. In his 3rd year he was defensive player of the year. JJ Watt got 5.5 sacks as a rookie (starting all 16 games), and then exploded for 20.5 in his second year.

Reed right now looks like a 10-year starter who is a great run defender and can also be a productive pass rusher.

Naz Jones is also contributing and he's only a rookie.

Sheldon Richardson has shown the impact he can make at the 3-technique.

If Malik McDowell can get out on the field and be productive then our interior defensive line is looking like one of the best in the NFL for the foreseeable future.

luigi_sal

Reaction score
If we add Dion Jordan's return to the mix, what Freeney still has in the tank and some plays of Branden Jackson and Quinton Jefferson, should be a really promising defensive line. Next year, we will probably replace Sheldon Richardson with Malik McDowell and we are ready to go, maybe with another DE to substitute Cliff Avril

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
mikeak":t79624kz said:

You say that like it was his only good game. He's been fairly solid all year.

Seymour

Reaction score
luigi_sal":cis0z2k3 said:
If we add Dion Jordan's return to the mix, what Freeney still has in the tank and some plays of Branden Jackson and Quinton Jefferson, should be a really promising defensive line. Next year, we will probably replace Sheldon Richardson with Malik McDowell and we are ready to go, maybe with another DE to substitute Cliff Avril

You will find that to be an unpopular opinion here, but given the salary chatter of $12M+ for Richardson, I hope (and believe) you are correct here. McDowell's impact will be the deciding factor though, and that is unproven. Richardson is a nice solid contributor, but worth nowhere near that IMO. Bennett averages $10M with his new contract, and around $8M prior to that as a comparison.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Reed is playing like he wants a second contract. And if he keeps up his current trajectory, he's going to be worth it.

Naz Jones is playing like a stud.

I was cautiously optimistic with our draft this year. Particularly having missed out on Kevin King who I felt (and still do) would have been an ideal seahawk CB. However despite losing McDowell -- the current value we have with Pocic, Griffin and Jones makes this draft a good draft already.

I hope Richardson resigns. And I hope McDowell recovers and begins his career. I think right now, with Reed, Richardson and Jones, we have the deepest interior DL group we've really ever had. McDowell would just be making a rich group even richer.

I do think retaining Richardson is the keystone to turning over the Seahawks D for the next 7 year stint. This DL group is still going to be cheap for a few years relatively speaking as far as the percentage of the total cap is concerned. Even with a 12-15M potential payout for Richardson.

When rewatching the games, it's pretty obvious just how much Jones and Reed benefit from lining next to Richardson.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":1h4s3wyy said:
Reed is playing like he wants a second contract. And if he keeps up his current trajectory, he's going to be worth it.

I was cautiously optimistic with our draft this year. Particularly having missed out on Kevin King who I felt (and still do) would have been an ideal seahawk CB. However despite losing McDowell -- the current value we have with Pocic, Griffin and Jones makes this draft a good draft already.

I hope Richardson resigns. And I hope McDowell recovers and begins his career. I think right now, with Reed, Richardson and Jones, we have the deepest interior DL group we've really ever had. McDowell would just be making a rich group even richer.

I do think retaining Richardson is the keystone to turning over the Seahawks D for the next 7 year stint. This DL group is still going to be cheap for a few years relatively speaking as far as the percentage of the total cap is concerned. Even with a 12-15M potential payout for Richardson.

When rewatching the games, it's pretty obvious just how much Jones and Reed benefit from lining next to Richardson.

And the even more encouraging thing is, they still made a splash with Richardson sidelined. This is a deep, monster front.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":1lez82p7 said:

Couldn't agree more. Great post, Attyla.

I think resigning Richardson is going to be very important going forward. I don't see us giving Bennett or Avril another contract, and other than Clark, the rest of the DL group is relatively young and/or cheap FA signings. Richardson and Clark are both young and they're going to demand some big contracts, but they're going to be worth keeping around IMO. Having a strong defensive line and winning the battle of the trenches is still one of the most important factors in football.

DJrmb

Reaction score
A-Dog":21lwm1qj said:
Most D-linemen don't really flourish until their 2nd year. Even Cortez Kennedy, the 3rd pick in the draft and a future hall of famer, started off slowly - he only started 2 games as a rookie and finished with just 1 sack. In his 2nd year he started every game, totaled 6.5 sacks, and made the pro-bowl. In his 3rd year he was defensive player of the year. JJ Watt got 5.5 sacks as a rookie (starting all 16 games), and then exploded for 20.5 in his second year.

Reed right now looks like a 10-year starter who is a great run defender and can also be a productive pass rusher.

Naz Jones is also contributing and he's only a rookie.

Sheldon Richardson has shown the impact he can make at the 3-technique.

If Malik McDowell can get out on the field and be productive then our interior defensive line is looking like one of the best in the NFL for the foreseeable future.
That is so true and also is the case a lot of times for linemen in general (offensive and defensive). It takes those guys 2-3 years a lot of times to really become what they will be in the NFL for their careers. Naz doing so well as a rookie is really interesting. He could be the best D-lineman on this team if he continues to progress similar to others. He's already ahead of a lot of guys.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
To post on the thread topic - Reed has been playing REALLY well so far this season. From all accounts, he's taking the transition to the pro game seriously and completely changed up his diet and conditioning routines from last year.

I don't think he was a dud at all last year, in fact he actually played very well for a rookie DT. He was on the field somewhere in the neighborhood of 45% of defensive snaps and was basically a week one starter. That's A LOT of trust from Pete, who values stopping the run on defense as one of the most important parts of the game and a direct reflection of defensive discipline.

This year he's been benefiting from Richardson taking doubles and being the focal point for opposing offensive lines, on top of his better understanding of the pro game and his better conditioning. The fact that he's developing as an interior pass rusher is promising.

OP
OP
EverydayImRusselin

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":26lukqgn said:

I have to wonder if Richardson is in their plans, only because Clark is coming up for a contract too. I don't see a Clark replacement among the DL currently. Do they take a chance that Mcdowell will return next year and be the player they hope and use the money to re-sign Clark? Do they sign Richardson and let Clark walk and hope to draft a replacement with the 1st rd pick next year? Do they try to sign both and spend 25-30% of the cap on the DL?

ivotuk

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":2br5gs8h said:

This, so much this.

Sheldon is a stud too. A young stud. And he would be worth every penny. This is a guy that could play running back if he wanted to. If we re-sign him to 12 million a year, in 2 - 3 years, that will look like a steal.

I love MB, but he's getting up there, and that foot worries me. But he's still worth what he's getting paid.

Malik McDowell and Dion Jordan, would just be bonuses, and I absolutely agree with Attyla about the depth of this line. I can't remember a DLine that could compete with this kind of depth, not even 2013.

I keep hoping, that if Dion and Malik play up to their potential, that we end up with an '85 Bears type line. Mike Singletary: "And I knew, that we had the kind of talent to apply pressure like it had never been applied before!"

Hawks46

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":1cggae4h said:

The other thing to look at is that getting Richardson back is going to be key to McDowell's development.

Lots of people are posting on here in expectations that McDowell will be back next year and will make an impact. Expecting a rookie to come in and not only start but make an impact is going to lead you to a lot of disappointment. Just look at the posts above referencing last year where people were calling Reed a bust DURING his rookie year. And dude came from Alabama. Now add to the fact that McDowell will have missed a year of playing football on top of NFL acclimation.

Getting Richardson means that we'll be able to rotate McDowell in to spell both him and Bennett. Hopefully this prolongs Bennett a little more while also getting McDowell time to learn by limiting his reps.

When you think about it, it's an entire line of progression if it works out. McDowell's potential 2nd contract would be taking the place of Benett's.

HawkerD

Reaction score
Seymour":2rlzs1yt said:
luigi_sal":2rlzs1yt said:

You will find that to be an unpopular opinion here, but given the salary chatter of $12M+ for Richardson, I hope (and believe) you are correct here. McDowell's impact will be the deciding factor though, and that is unproven. Richardson is a nice solid contributor, but worth nowhere near that IMO. Bennett averages $10M with his new contract, and around $8M prior to that as a comparison.

Not saying this won't happen but Holy crap a second round pick for a rental player??? That is almost as bad a trade as the Harvin fiasco.