Cant win it in the 1st qtr, cant in the 2nd, cant in the 3rd

Anthony!

Reaction score
So PCs mantra has been you cant win it in the 1st qtr, you cant win it in the 2nd qtr, you cant win it in the 3rd qtr, you can win it in the 4th qtr" . And he has the offensive game being called like that, but he has also set up a thought process of that within his players and that is not good. Whats wrong with start with your foot on the pedal and finish with your foot on the pedal. Whats wrong with you can win it in the 1st qtr as long as you keep trying to win it in the 2nd the 3rd and the 4th. I really think this mindset that PC has instilled is causing issues.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
He certainly hasn't been listening to those who are trying to tell him otherwise. "It's my way or the highway" has been his mantra so far. Will he come to the reality that the other teams in the NFL are "wise" to his style of play and have shut his Offense down?

OP
OP
Anthony!

Anthony!

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":2zoa9855 said:
He certainly hasn't been listening to those who are trying to tell him otherwise. "It's my way or the highway" has been his mantra so far. Will he come to the reality that the other teams in the NFL are "wise" to his style of play and have shut his Offense down?
YOur right they have shut our 1-3 qtr offense down, but not our 4th qtr or when we are behind(see houston game). That is the offense we used the 2nd half of 2015 when we were lighting it up. We have a QB who is top 3 in td passes and yards and yet we don't really let him do anything till they have to. Here is an idea WE HAVE TO START FAST AND BURY THE TEAM WE ARE FACING. So lets not wai til we have to, let's do it starting in Q1.

Seymour

Reaction score
Been saying this 2 years now.
His philosophy is flawed, does not allow for learning and growth, does not allow for player and game fluctuation, limits his offense drastically, and it literally setting NFL records in futility.

Seymour

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3srzvi9x said:
What it does is squander 3 quarters of a 4 quarter game.

Sadly Pete wants it that way. Bring it down to the end then stomp on them. Wilson confirms this and buys in and it's disturbing IMO. Too little margin for error, unnecessary, and doesn't allow for mistakes with a mistake prone team.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I don't know, how many teams have won more games in the 4th Quarter and OT since Pete has been here? Very few.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
It's more like keep the score close through 3 quarters and then dominate the fourth. What goes into this? Field position, winning the turnover battle, taking whatever points we have a chance to and unveiling tendencies in the opposing defense that we take note of and exploit later. It's a chess game we play and the reward is that more often than not, we're the one announcing Checkmate!

OP
OP
Anthony!

Anthony!

Reaction score
Seymour":2z7fdd5f said:
TwistedHusky":2z7fdd5f said:
What it does is squander 3 quarters of a 4 quarter game.

Sadly Pete wants it that way. Bring it down to the end then stomp on them. Wilson confirms this and buys in and it's disturbing IMO. Too little margin for error, unnecessary, and doesn't allow for mistakes with a mistake prone team.

From what I have read RW does not like the whole waste 3 agree. He and Doug and others have expressed their feelings. Just PC does not care.

OP
OP
Anthony!

Anthony!

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":zgizrrbe said:
It's more like keep the score close through 3 quarters and then dominate the fourth. What goes into this? Field position, winning the turnover battle, taking whatever points we have a chance to and unveiling tendencies in the opposing defense that we take note of and exploit later. It's a chess game we play and the reward is that more often than not, we're the one announcing Checkmate!

Tendencies to exploit, isn't that what watching tape is for? Also it takes 3 agree to do it? They said that is what they are wasting the 15 scripted plays on. Also this seems more like 3 agree of holding the offense back and then saying RW please save us again

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":3ci977sr said:
Siouxhawk":3ci977sr said:

Tendencies to exploit, isn't that what watching tape is for? Also it takes 3 agree to do it? They said that is what they are wasting the 15 scripted plays on. Also this seems more like 3 agree of holding the offense back and then saying RW please save us again
Sure, game tape goes into it, but in-game adjustments also play a part. We're one of the better teams in the league at making those adjustments down the stretch and our fourth-quarter comeback win record would indicate that.

And it's not like we're doing nothing for 3 quarters. We're setting things up. We're keeping it close. And then we're pouncing. You can't argue with the results.

Russell will bounce back fine from this. He knows it. He's money in these situations and you know that.

NJlargent

Reaction score
I would prefer to play like the Eagles have been playing. Start strong and generally know you are winning by halftime. Perhaps that is why they are the current #1 seed and we are currently not in the playoffs.

Keeping it close for 3 quarters and waiting to pounce is generally known as letting shitty teams hang around.

Seymour

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":38epxpwh said:
I don't know, how many teams have won more games in the 4th Quarter and OT since Pete has been here? Very few.

True, but many of those are because they had to. In other words, they dinked around and made the game that close.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Anthony!":3pdq08wh said:
Whats wrong with start with your foot on the pedal and finish with your foot on the pedal.

He's afraid of turnovers. That's the source of the conservative approach that Pete puts out there on the field. If he weren't so bent on avoiding turnovers, Wilson would be holding onto the ball less, the OL would look better, we'd be scoring more, the defense would be able to predict a pass-first approach from the other team in response and pin their ears back accordingly...the Patriots effect, basically.

But it won't happen under Pete. Instead, we'll forever be riding a razor's edge in our games. That, not some lack of talent, is what will bite us in the playoffs. We've got the talent.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, we all want them to dominate for 4 quarters. It's maddening that they seemingly don't do crap until the 2nd half. I guess I just have come to expect it. Not that I should have to.

mistaowen

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":20fb03wo said:
Anthony!":20fb03wo said:
Whats wrong with start with your foot on the pedal and finish with your foot on the pedal.

He's afraid of turnovers. That's the source of the conservative approach that Pete puts out there on the field. If he weren't so bent on avoiding turnovers, Wilson would be holding onto the ball less, the OL would look better, we'd be scoring more, the defense would be able to predict a pass-first approach from the other team in response and pin their ears back accordingly...the Patriots effect, basically.

But it won't happen under Pete. Instead, we'll forever be riding a razor's edge in our games. That, not some lack of talent, is what will bite us in the playoffs. We've got the talent.

Is it that conservative though? The passes are all generally deep shots in the first half. Admittedly Russell probably throws the nicest deep ball in the league, but those aren't traditional move-the-chains 'safe' throws. I'd say it's more in the line with desire to be a power run - big play team that doesn't have the horses to do it but for whatever reason, the coaching staff refuses to give that vision up until they need to move the ball. The inability to put 7 on the board from the defense creating a turnover or a short field is killing this team.

The defense being so dominant and keeping the offense in every game has kinda hindered the offense if that makes sense. It's a safety net knowing the offense can sputter along and not need to change things up. It's rare where the offense needs to get it into gear early in the game since the defense doesn't give up much and ironically in those cases (Titans game), the offense shows it can get started in a hurry. I just wish they came out with that mentality as if they didn't have the lead.

Seymour

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":30a9a8mv said:
Anthony!":30a9a8mv said:

I don't think it's just turnovers Pete is afraid of, I think it's turnovers on our side of the 50. That is why the increase in amount of 50/50 balls down field. I believe I heard Russell put up 13 of those Sunday.

Now we have a new issue here though. The D is no longer holding late in games. That in itself should require some thought to changing the philosophy some, but I doubt we'll see that anytime soon.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":3qbfhzjf said:
MontanaHawk05":3qbfhzjf said:
Anthony!":3qbfhzjf said:

I don't think it's just turnovers Pete is afraid of, I think it's turnovers on our side of the 50. That is why the increase in amount of 50/50 balls down field. I believe I heard Russell put up 13 of those Sunday.

Now we have a new issue here though. The D is no longer holding late in games. That in itself should require some thought to changing the philosophy some, but I doubt we'll see that anytime soon.
Right, and that shows how big the Earl loss was. Doctson does not make that catch if Earl is in the game.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2s17he5h said:
Right, and that shows how big the Earl loss was. Doctson does not make that catch if Earl is in the game.

There is absolutely no way we can use injuries as an excuse for why a decimated team like the Redskins beat us. We were out Prosise, Earl, and Sheldon. They were out two TEs, three OL, their slot WR, best interior pass rusher, and the list goes wrong. Honestly, this is just distracting from the issue at hand which was defensive playcalling and poor technique on that entire drive.

Honestly, most of the 4th quarter comebacks are largely Russ making magic happen and the refs being less likely to call holds on the OL at that point in the game. If we opened up the offense from the start and let Russ get into rhythm, this team could be deadly. As is, we are impotent on offense unless we're under pressure.

Plus, Pete's gameplan still assumes we have a 2013 level defense. We don't. Theoretically it's more talented and technically more experienced, but they just aren't as dominant. The Falcons playoff game exemplified how flawed this strategy is perfectly. We needed to be aggressive on offense and go for it on 4th downs, try fake punts, etc. but Pete kept it conservative and we got destroyed. Let them drive 99 yards for a TD on 10 straight passing plays SMH. Offense needs to get a lead and let the defense pin back and attack.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
I agree with your sentiments, but the fact remains that if he's back there, he breaks up that pass. Hopefully he's back Thursday night.