Offense is killing the Defense

Hendo66

Reaction score
6 out of 12 possessions went 3 & out.
Really only had 3 sustained drives.
This O has NO identity, direction, rhythm, clue!
Continually putting the D back on the field. It's been going on way too long.
Can't even ice a game with a 1st down or two.
Making every game a nail biter instead of putting teams away. No matter how bad they are.
Please make it stop.

mikeak

Reaction score
I would normally agree but how about he defense stop with the penalties and they get off the field?.....

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Offense scored 20 points. Should have scored 30-40, but in a standard division game that's quite ok

Also terrible calls by the refs

evergreen

Reaction score
The refs were so blatantly garbage. Or maybe we do commit fouls on every 3rd down stop. The fumble was just perfect. I knew they would give that to them!

cymatica

Reaction score
Same qb, coordinator, oline coach tandum for 6 years now, Owning the longest streak for no opening drive td.

I wonder what the record for 3 and outs in a season is

mrt144

Reaction score
mikeak":id8rzpwk said:
I would normally agree but how about he defense stop with the penalties and they get off the field?.....

No. This is not a valid response to the offense having 50% 3 and out game.

edogg23

Reaction score
Offense is not working. There are times when you feel lucky to even come away with a punt. They look lost out there.

cymatica

Reaction score
Db needs to stop playing easy setting on madden

mrt144

Reaction score
Fundamental question: If the defense is donezo for the year with all these injuries, is the offense even close to being capable of making up for it?

This was a black swan event, maybe we'll see an amazing response. Maybe not.

adeltaY

Reaction score
There is no excuse for going 3 and out on half of your possessions. NONE. This offense relies on Wilson to make stupidly great plays like the one he did to get us our second TD. It's not going to keep happening.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Offense will continue to be garbage to inconsistent all year, always been that way. Not that the defense is decimated by injury Russ and Co will need to lead the team and I just don't think they will be able to.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Okay a few things,

I don't totally disagree with you, however, we all know the main issues with the offense; oline, penalties, refusal to play the system we know works, trying to turn a team best suited to pass to a run team, pay callng and design. Now if I can only choose one thing right now it would be penalties.

That said there are a few things to remember 1 most of our money is on the defensive side of the ball. This is what PC wants. 3. we have had the time of possession on 3 of our last 4 games and the one game we did not it was less than 1-minute difference. Also some of what is happening to the defense is their own doing, penalties, given up big 3rd conversation etc

Given how beat up they are it will be interesting if they finally take off the gloves and get back to playing the offense that work

NOw the next no we have not always been inconsistent, there was a stretch in 2015 where the offense was money. Unfortunately, PC refuses to play that way unless he has no choice.

As I stated earlier the biggest issue with the offense right now is oline. I mean lets look at the very
first drive, a stuff for a loss, and its 3rd a long, and then a sack-oline.
2nd series penalty and its 3rd and long again. oline
3rd series we scored,
4th drive big penalty but was also 6 plays
5th 2 sacks 3rd and long oline oline
6th 11 plays an a FG
7h 5 pays and a FG could have been more points but penalty
8th 5 plays and stuff and sack and 3rd and long
9th 3 and out
10th 7 play TD
11th 3 play punt
12th 3 run plays punt 1 run a stuff for lost yards oline

then the play to end the game

So out of 12 real possessions, we went 3 and out 6 times but 4 of this six were a result of a penalty, sack, or run stuff all oline issues.

So there you have it if we could just fix the penalties we get 2 more scores at least. Of course if we just played the offense that works instead of trying to fit a round peg into a square whole we would be fine

inda2o6

Reaction score
Bevell's play designs are so bad, Russell has to make "broken plays" to make up for poor designs. Commentators call them broken plays when Russell runs. It's broken before they even run them, can't fix it unless they acknowlege its broken to begin with. Pete can be as cheerful and positive as he wants but the players are making up for Bevell's incompetency.

Every play that Russell has to make with help from his receivers in a "scramble drill" shows it's not the players that aren't doing their jobs right, it shows the person in charge designing and calling plays, isn't smart enough to use the pieces he has to work with, & is incapeable of accepting responsibility to fix it, since Bevell doesn't think it's his designs that are bad, he won't adjust as much as he needs to.
Next man up is the mantra the team preaches.

Well, Bevell should look in the mirror and realize his ideas(designs) are the problem and accept that he's not the genius Pete has him thinking he is. The only way this offense can't fulfill it's true potential is to replace Bevell. No matter what players John brings in for the offense, they will not be used right with Bevell designing and misusing the talent. Put players in position to excel is the goal, but the person making those decisions prove that won't happen with him still holding a job without fear of losing it. Continuity only works for so long, the competition adjust weekly and they have seen Bevell's plays enough that it's predictable, making it harder for the players to execute them, when the other team already figured out what he will call. 2 times, throwing picks on the goalline, the other team knows Bevell is so into proving his plays are great, that he will potentially cost the team wins, just to show he's smarter then them.
Pete should accept the fact, his offense isn't working & the players executing aren't the whole reason, they don't work. Pete and Bevell want the players to execute them perfectly for it to work, there are 11 players that have to perform perfectly. That's proven to be a problem, when 1 mistake can ruin the play. I haven't heard of outlet or hot routes or check downs being pointed out during breakdowns of the game from commentators.

Why doesn't Russell have those options, why does everyone have to run deep routes almost every play. Poor design is the main reason. I'm done venting for the night, i don't care if people disagree, i'm hear to get this out of my system and family doesn't want to hear it. Thanks and good night.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
Hm, maybe if we keep the same coordinator with the same game plans things will change.

Seymour

Reaction score
The defense gives up 6 first downs on penalties, 4 in one drive that literally walked the Tards to 7 points and this game the offense was the problem? Disagree. 20 points on the road should be enough with the $$$ being spent on defense here.
Yes, there are clear problems on offense, mostly Cable and oline related, but this game I'm not on them for that performance. Especially since they finally used Graham like they should have been for 2 1/2 years now.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Anyone else wish we would see more dump-off type passes available to Russ, especially since we have issues with protection? Seems like when things break down and he has to run, there isn't a lot short for him. The few times there was and used, the offensive seemed to be more effective.

Since the running game gets stuffed so much, I really think they need to do just as much passing out of play-action on first down. Get an easy 5 or so like the play to Vennett before the big McKissic toss play. If nothing else, show that tendency to loosen up defensive fronts.

classicaaron

Reaction score
the play that just had me screaming ready to smash the tv was when Russ made a fake draw to Rawls followed by a fake reverse to Lockett looking for the deep throw. how in the world did Bevell think this line would provide 6 seconds of protection to make all of this work. By the time Lockett was ready for the fake the play was already a disaster.

Seymour

Reaction score
mrt144":a8l37t4c said:
Fundamental question: If the defense is donezo for the year with all these injuries, is the offense even close to being capable of making up for it?

This was a black swan event, maybe we'll see an amazing response. Maybe not.

Offense didn't need a defense against the Texans did they?

Literal answer is yes, they can.

Reality is no (not consistently), not likely with penalties, Cable, Ifedi all still effecting games like they are.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Half the drives were three and out, still dialing up many deep routes while defenses continue to defend deep, saved by Russell Wilson being a magician. It isn't a sustainable formula. I KNEW people would defend the score even though up until the ridiculous play by Russ and DB, the offense was doing nothing. The play call was DOA and through Russ's magic they got an enormous gain. Defense got them great field position almost all night which once again led to nothing.

Also, nomination for dumbest play call of the season goes to Bevell with his slow developing reverse play action call right after the safety against a blitz happy defense.