Time for Carroll and Ricahrd to step up

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
The luxary of playing the basic cover 3 (did I get the terminology right?) with Earl playing deep middle when he returns, leaving Sherm on one side almost excuslively are over. I think they are now going to schem up, get creative with pressure, specifically game plan to take away specific receivers etc. I don't think we can survive on talent alone. Does our staff have the ability to game plan and do things like, for example, the hated Patriots do?

OP
OP
H

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Oh good lord, fat fingers. Can a mod fix the title? Thanks

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
I'll add that this is a good time to start playing some team disciplined football. Make first downs to keep the field flipped. Take advantage of every time the D gets us the ball on the 50. We do this, I seriously think we are still ok but it is yet to be seen.

First downs allow more diverse play calling and keeps the D guessing. These 3 and outs, especially at mid field, are killing us. STs needs to get its' head out of its' ass too.

irocdave

Reaction score
PC and the D coordinator are going to have to make changes with the injuries from this latest debacle. Sherm is gone for the year +, who knows when Kam will be back and Earl is nursing a bad hammy. Our prized D line acquisition went out of the game in the third quarter (all the east coast media talked about until he came to the Hawks, no he's a JAG"

Hawks D is going to have to game plan. No more " we do what we do and THEY have to change". Hopefully the offensive coaches realize they need to do the same, in the first F'ing quarter, not at the end of the game.

OP
OP
H

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Yes, agreed about the penalties and offense too. Time to stop just paying lip service to penalites. I think if Pete put a real emphasis on it during the week, like turnover Thursday etc you could reduce them.

Regarding the offense being more creative, look at that great play to McKissic. I know if you do it too often it becmes less effective but come on, we can run misdirection more than once a game. And please, no more slow developing plays in the backfield when our o-line has a tendancy to whiff.

evergreen

Reaction score
A whole bunch of those penalties were all on blind officials. Not all but most of the big ones were.

mrt144

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":2b2nygp7 said:
Yes, agreed about the penalties and offense too. Time to stop just paying lip service to penalites. I think if Pete put a real emphasis on it during the week, like turnover Thursday etc you could reduce them.

Regarding the offense being more creative, look at that great play to McKissic. I know if you do it too often it becmes less effective but come on, we can run misdirection more than once a game. And please, no more slow developing plays in the backfield when our o-line has a tendancy to whiff.

Mckissic pitch outside insta classic. Mckissic up the gut insta fail. What are so afraid of? The oline being winded?

adeltaY

Reaction score
Yup, this is it. I hope we get Earl and Kam back by MNF, but even with them this is gonna be tough. It's time to unlock our DL talent potential and get them to make up for secondary play. We saw tonight that even Drew Stanton was able to pick us apart given time. That, or he completely missed open receivers or they dropped passes. Matt Ryan will make us pay if we can't cover.

Look at the Eagles, their CBs honestly aren't good except for PRob randomly, but their line makes up for them.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
adeltaY":19mxqrxq said:
Yup, this is it. I hope we get Earl and Kam back by MNF, but even with them this is gonna be tough. It's time to unlock our DL talent potential and get them to make up for secondary play. We saw tonight that even Drew Stanton was able to pick us apart given time. That, or he completely missed open receivers or they dropped passes. Matt Ryan will make us pay if we can't cover.

Look at the Eagles, their CBs honestly aren't good except for PRob randomly, but their line makes up for them.

Please, he picked his own ass. We weren't in danger of losing this game.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
The offense is going to step it up as well. Their are going to be a ton more shootouts with Sherm being out.
His absence opens up the whole field.

Can no longer expect the defense to bail you out anymore, the offense can no longer piss away first halves of games with craptastic game planning and even worse play calling which seems to be the default mode of the offensive coaching staff.

If Seattle is going to do anything, they need to change the offensive “philosophy” or default mode that holds them back most of the time. Your defense is going to give up more points due to injuries at key positions, so on offense you are going to have to score more, it really is THAT simple.

mrt144

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2atdb7ty said:
The offense is going to step it up as well. Their are going to be a ton more shootouts with Sherm being out.

Can no longer expect the defense to bail you out anymore, the offense can no longer piss away first halves of games with craptastic game planning and even worse play calling which seems to be the default mode of the offensive coaching staff.

If Seattle is going to do anything, they need to change the offensive “philosophy” or default mode that holds them back most of the time. Your defense is going to give up more points due to injuries at key positions, so on offense you are going to have to score more, it really is THAT simple.

It is scary that the worst part of the team this season is tasked with having to save it. I really have to hope that they start thinking about this in a more desperate frame of mind from the get go.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
The only way I see us righting this ship is pulling a Ravens and firing Bevell. I just think we really need some new blood at our coordinator position.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
We still have a lot of good players on the defense. We do. Mcdougald has played well for us. He is not ET but has played well. Coleman and Griffin have played well. Wright, Wagner a lot of guys on the D-line that can step up. We still have RW and DB. Let's see how the next game goes before we blow up bridges and scorch the earth. This can still be a good story.

adeltaY

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":1ctjtlo7 said:
adeltaY":1ctjtlo7 said:

Shouldn't even be close to in danger of losing a game against that guy behind a garbage OL who lost their best player to an ACL tear early in the game. Yes, Stanton sucks, but there were plenty of times where he did or had a shot at hitting open receivers. If the bar is "not in danger of losing vs. Drew Stanton," then IDK what to tell you.

chris98251

Reaction score
We will need to let Wilson be a Gunslinger, were not going to stop teams in the passing game like before, Earl is out, may come back by the next game but on paper out, Kam has a Stinger that he needed to be carted off with, that can't be good so we lost our enforcer in the passing game and our run stopper and clean up guy like a 4th Linebacker, Sherman is gone and Lane is no press cover guy, he doesn't tackle well and gives a lot of cushion, Shaq is a Rookie, although I bet teams target Lane more.

What's more pressing is the secondary being young in experienced is going to be tested by Veteran QB and WR's, the more they are out there the more they will be tested this season, maybe they hold up but the learning curve just got very steep. The offense is going to have to control the ball, every chance these guys are out there means they are going to be challenged. It will take INT's and a lot of incompletions to force teams to take a different approach. As of now it's throw and throw some more on the Seahawks defenseand stack the box and blitz Wilson.

Josea16

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2lhbgvs8 said:

How about you convince Pete? We are going to the first 6-3 team to miss the playoffs. I'm fine with it given heads will roll and if Pete is first so what. That Washington Redskins game told me all I need to to know about this team.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
adeltaY":1ntetd4s said:
seahawkfreak":1ntetd4s said:
adeltaY":1ntetd4s said:

Shouldn't even be close to in danger of losing a game against that guy behind a garbage OL who lost their best player to an ACL tear early in the game. Yes, Stanton sucks, but there were plenty of times where he did or had a shot at hitting open receivers. If the bar is "not in danger of losing vs. Drew Stanton," then IDK what to tell you.

Despite all the injuries on Defense my main concern is offensive production and play calling. Blame who you want but it sucks. 3 and out after a safety (two games in a row), 3 and outs when gifted the ball at the 50, its bullcrap. The biggest offensive play all game was a busted play. The problem, still, right now, is the offense and it is not even close.

Latest posts