Why was Sherman even playing?

seabowl

Reaction score
Look I know these guys want to play no matter what but going into the game with an injured achillies was a huge risk to take no matter who the player is. People will blame Thursday night games as the issue but if you know the achillies is not right, that is one body part that you just don't mess with.

I also found it interesting that when the Hawks doc came to check him out on the field that Sherm shoved him away. Was is in frustration or was it more in that he was upset that they cleared him to play. We'll probably never know but I found it interesting.

He should not even have been on the field.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
These Thursday night games are going to shorten careers, Richard may have needed more time to recuperate. But it's tough to tell a warrior like Sherm to sit down. And after starting 100+ games in a row, you give a guy like that some latitude. Hindsight is 20-20 and he's played hurt many times before.

I think the reason Sherman pushed the doc away is that he simply knew what he had, and had already processed what the implications were. In most situations, Richard Sherman is the smartest guy in the room. Oddly though, he seemed at peace with it all, you did not see the fiery anger you sometimes get when he's frustrated.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
seabowl":2m3xesr8 said:
I also found it interesting that when the Hawks doc came to check him out on the field that Sherm shoved him away. Was is in frustration or was it more in that he was upset that they cleared him to play.

Clearly it was in frustration. Weird question.

I imagine Sherm was playing because he's got that same mentality as any great pro athlete in that they always want to play no matter what. Whether or not someone should have stepped in and told Sherm that they are sitting him for 4-6 weeks, regardless of how they felt, for the Achilles to get right is another debate.

Seymour

Reaction score
So everyone should be more like Prosise and sit out every game they feel tightness or sand in a bad place? BS. He was playing because he thought he could, Sherman is a big boy and he trusted his body to get though. Shit happens.

classicaaron

Reaction score
for all we know he could have pushed through just because Earl was out and knew the team couldn't afford both of them out. maybe if Earl wasn't banged up he would have rested the week. Regardless, from his quotes he made it sound like it was only a matter of time until it tore so he was just going to play until it did.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
All these guys are going to play if they think they can go. And he was effective until the injury too (look at the knockdown on the deep route to Fitzgerald)

chris98251

Reaction score
He has been hurt for weeks and basically not exploding to the football but more shading and using guile to cover, he tried to explode that play to make a pick and that extra torque he put on it caused the rupture, he knew it was coming from his interview and it was not but when it was going to happen.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I find it odd how nobody asked the question of why he was playing before he was lost for the season. The injury was listed on the report, but nobody has said anything about how he should sit and rest it, but as soon as he's out for the year, people pull out the hindsight and ask why he was playing. He was playing for the same reason every NFL player who can is playing.....he's a professional athlete. The vast majority of these guys play hurt every week. By this point in the season everyone is a little banged up in some way. It's the NFL, you play until you can't.

RussB

Reaction score
He said in the presser he has been dealing with it all season actually. Hes never missed a game in his career, probably just insisted on playing like he always does. He even played the last half of the season with an injury last year.